As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's a [Doom/Quake]! id Software's Classic Legacy of Eternal Carnage

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I think it's a sequel, in the same way that say Bioshock 2 was a sequel. Broadly same engine, loads more content. Hopefully a new slew of weapons with upgrades and mods!

And collectibles, with gallery unlocks!

H9f4bVe.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    If it was just dlc, it'd probably been out already

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Clearly, the name Eternal is referring to the fact that Hell is now trapped on Earth with Doomguy.

Forever.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    its a sequel

just like doom 2 was a sequel

more monsters more guns new maps

thats whats in a doom sequel

obF2Wuw.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Clearly, the name Eternal is referring to the fact that Hell is now trapped on Earth with Doomguy.

Forever.

They done fucked up

JtgVX0H.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

Forever.

They done fucked up

My head canon is that if Doomguy takes off the mask, it's Judge Dredd underneath and he's judging Hell for all time.

And he also still has the Judge helmet on underneath Doomguy helmet.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I was hoping they'd subtitle it "Slayer", so the title would be "Doom: Slayer"

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Even though the Doom bestiary is pretty set, it would be cool to see some totally new monster types.

Like, in practice a Summoner isn't really that different from an Arch-Vile, other than the horrible way they'd compliment eachother in the same fight.

I also feel like seeing as how a Quake remake's unlikely for, uh, some time, I wouldn't mind seeing Quake 1's Hell Knights and Fiends getting a nod.

EDIT:

Say...those giant worms in the teaser trailer just reminded me of the worm critters that inhabited these guys:

4qe0hn5g5xwz.png

I almost forgot about them! It was a cool boss between the more classic original bosses. There almost has to be a connection.

Linespider5 on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I wish those guys showed up more often in the first game, actually. Their fight felt a bit like an introduction to a new enemy type.

I wish those guys showed up more often in the first game, actually. Their fight felt a bit like an introduction to a new enemy type.

Especially since you fight 3 of them.

There was a teleporting critter from Doom 3 (had scythes for arms) that might be a good fit. From the trailer I'm guessing we're mostly getting a bunch of variant types (spiky Imps, bladed Barons of Hell)

Wonder if we'll see some heavy weapons former humans.

I agree, but on reflection I could totally imagine the combat style of the Hell Guards might be really hard to mix in with the regular guys, hence their limited use as minibosses.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I hope we get more cyber-ized demons! I loved the Cyber Mancubus, he's probably my favorite enemy from DOOM. It'd be great to have the same cyber-process applied to some existing demons, even something like Imps.

H9f4bVe.png
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    I hope we get more cyber-ized demons! I loved the Cyber Mancubus, he's probably my favorite enemy from DOOM. It'd be great to have the same cyber-process applied to some existing demons, even something like Imps.

Agree, but I also want to see OG demons too. Like what a cyberdemon was before the UAC thought they could ‘improve’ it.

edited June 2018
    Hey since is the thread for Doom and Quake, It's worth mentioning that if you haven't seen already, Quake Champions is free this week, and if you grab it during this time, you get to keep it forever.

So with that incentive, I took the plunge and hell, it's really fun. I can definitely see hardcore Quake purists being annoyed at several features, and frankly the main menu UI is atrocious, but I'm enjoying it a lot right now. It really feels like an old school arena shooter, but the different weird skins you could always choose from now have different stats and abilities. 13-year-old-me would have been psyched as fuck about that sentence.

BloodySloth on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »

Cyber Cacodemon.

• GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    I wonder if the new game's title was inspired by the "Eternal Doom" mapsets. QuakeCon can't get here fast enough. I need real footage, dangit!

I wonder if the new game's title was inspired by the "Eternal Doom" mapsets. QuakeCon can't get here fast enough. I need real footage, dangit!

It's probably just that "DOOM Forever Forever Hundred Years Doom Forever All The Time Adventures Doom Every Minute Long Hundred Days" was too long a title.

H9f4bVe.png
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    I wish they had the old campaign co-op the originals had. Snapmap just doesn't compare in that regard.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Free Quake Champions. Even if it's only one character, I'm happy to give this a go.

I’m suddenly very curious to see how SnapMap manifests in the new Doom

• LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    16 demons on the map at the same time!

I’m suddenly very curious to see how SnapMap manifests in the new Doom

Honestly hoping they drop the multiplayer angle in favor of packing in more singleplayer content, I never even loaded up the multiplayer for DOOM 2016 and that was what got nearly every damned piece of extra content anyway.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    So I played some Quake Champions. I liked it a lot. I should have jumped on it sooner.

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I've been bouncing around online shooters for a while and I think Quake Champions is the one for me. Just oldschool deathmatch.

Bought the Champions pack to help support it, since I got the base game for free.

I finally saved up enough for one character just with the free coins they give you; Sorlag is rad conceptually, but I'm having a rocky time transitioning from Blazcowicz, who is just awesome and basically comes with his own mini-Quad.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I'm wondering if a Switch port is in the cards for DOOM E. Seems like it might be too much for the hardware if they are upping the demons per encounter.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Holy shit I love how over the top in your face metal DOOM 2016 is

and that DOOM ETERNAL trailer just makes me wanna rip and tear some demon guts, like my brain starts twisting and screaming Borderlands psycho phrases

I'M ALL OUT OF BLOOD, GIVE ME YOURS

I'LL LIVE IN YOUR RIBCAGE, GUTS FOR GARTERS, GARTERS FOR GUTS

I SWEAR IT'S A CUPCAKE

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
    I’ve been replaying missions in Doom to get all of the Preator suit upgrades, Argent cells and secrets.

Man this game still kicks the crap out of me.

I sometimes think about how weird it is that we can talk positively about a modern, official doom. For the longest time, for me, Doom was something from my childhood, that they tried and failed (IMO) to bring back in the 2000's, so it was basically relegated to that awesome old game I play through every year on a modern source port. It was a classic, one that, quite possibly, is outside of the realm of comfortably for new audiences.

Then, boom, Doom 2016 comes out and is fantastic. Simultaneously being faithful to the original while feeling modernized. Just a spectacular comeback.

Especially after so long in development hell, with the likes of Tim Willits saying the project lacked personality.

I don’t think anyone expected the 2016 reboot to be good at all, let alone as good as it was.

I just realized that they're going to at least have to make some new bosses, since Doom 2 didn't really have any new bosses. (Aside from the Icon of Sin, which was more of a level hazard than a boss.)

I wonder what they'll come up with.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Especially after so long in development hell, with the likes of Tim Willits saying the project lacked personality.

I don’t think anyone expected the 2016 reboot to be good at all, let alone as good as it was.

I didn't. Even when they announced it I wasn't interested until I heard some people I trusted saying it was really good.

Then the reviews came in and everyone was like god damn what?

There's remakes/reboots that have the big, red, flashing "IF YOU'RE A FAN OF THIS SERIES, YOU'LL LOVE..." all over it. Doom wasn't like that.

I really hope for some crazy reason they do re-introduce some old-school enemy designs in the next Doom.

Like, the revisions were gangbusters. All of them. This game knocked my socks off, and then set my socks on fire.

Still...

xa350xszs6p9.png

Wouldn't you love to see this guy fully restored in hi-poly 3D, with his wiry abdomen and Terminator 2 Judgment Day aesthetic?

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I really hope for some crazy reason they do re-introduce some old-school enemy designs in the next Doom.

Like, the revisions were gangbusters. All of them. This game knocked my socks off, and then set my socks on fire.

Still...

xa350xszs6p9.png

Wouldn't you love to see this guy fully restored in hi-poly 3D, with his wiry abdomen and Terminator 2 Judgment Day aesthetic?

Yes, actually. The 2016 Cyberdemon isn't a bad design, but it seems out of place to me compared with the rest of the art style. He'd seem more at home in a Darksiders game. He could've used more evident cyber-bits. As far as total re-designs go, the Doom3 version was a lot cooler.

H9f4bVe.png
    Looking back on Doom 2016, it feels like Hell is a place where odds are you’ll either have one big eye, no eyes, or just some kind of hexagonal configuration of eyes.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Looking back on Doom 2016, it feels like Hell is a place where odds are you’ll either have one big eye, no eyes, or just some kind of hexagonal configuration of eyes.

And even if you're the no-eye type, Doomguy will still find a way to pull one out of you. He's equal opportunity like that.

When you get into a match with equally skilled players, Quake Champions is utterly fantastic. Oldschool frenetic arena shooter, classic guns. I even like the abilities each character has, which gives them some nice flavor. I get the Overwatch comparisons, but they're completely different games. They're both online shooters where each character has special abilities, but it really ends there.

I just blasted through a match with BJ - double nailguns just evaporate people, and double missile launchers can lock down a team for a few second. Then I swapped to Doom Slayer (because I got his Cacodemon plushie head and wanted to parade it around) and going Berserk with Quad Damage is hilarious as you punch your way through a team. It's often suicide, but you'll also take a few down with you. Great if you're down to your basic machine gun.

Then there's the matches where 75% of the people are bots and it's really dull. I get that this is done to get you matches quicker, but when there's 6000 people playing getting matches shouldn't be a problem.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    So I bought DOOM in the Steam sale and holy shit it's as good as I had hoped it would be. The single player is fun and so is the multiplayer. I love the pacing in the campaign of slow exploration then frenetic action and back to the slower stuff. It's a nice rhythm and keeps me from getting tired of either.

I also downloaded Quake Champions yesterday due to a friend wanting to try it and that is ALSO fun. Like -Loki- said, I like that it's still basically an old-school arena shooter and the character abilities keep it feeling fresh. I gotta get a new mouse though, I'm using a Logitech trackball and it fucking sucks for games like this and CSGO. I still managed to come out on top in several matches (much to my friend's disappointment lol) but I think that's because we may have been matched against people new to FPS games. They would sometimes stand still to try and shoot at me from across a huge room, or they'd run at me in a straight line down a hallway. I don't know if some were bots or not, but I believe most of them had unique names so I don't know. Either way, it was a lot of fun.

Also, it and DOOM's multiplayer feel pretty similar to me. I know it shouldn't surprise me but it did. Maybe it's just because both are arena shooters and it's been so long since I played one.

JtgVX0H.png