As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW Classic] Launching on August 27th.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Confirmed that the version is 1.12, but built on modern architecture: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/21881587/dev-watercooler-world-of-warcraft-classic

Not many other details, but it really is happening. It sounds like it's really going to be a totally pure game experience though, no modern features is my guess except for maybe some UI etc.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    While I can't claim to know or understand what the vanilla "community" (heaviest possible airquotes) wants, I feel pretty confident that the 'final' vanilla patch isn't it

like what's the point of letting people get all the catchup gear and then smash through most of the raids? I feel like the fun would be starting with like, ZG/MC and then progressing through vanilla at a somewhat accelerated pace (and then maybe start over? unsure)

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    I think they're probably going to have to do timed gating of the raids like a progression server, but using the code from that patch. Otherwise the game is going to be over real quick.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    honestly its probably for the best if they just keep it 1.12 as it was and all the jerkoff "hardcore vanilla" people can just burn through the content and quit because they rushed everything and got bored. then it can actually be a sandbox for the people who've mentally matured beyond the age of 12.

like i dont know who thinks getting any progression firsts will matter on the progression realm, and min/maxing won't matter at all. The people who do freak out about that stuff will just ruin it for themselves and probably go back to some private servers to keep reliving the realm first naxx circlejerk.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    I think they're probably going to have to do timed gating of the raids like a progression server, but using the code from that patch. Otherwise the game is going to be over real quick.

There's going to be a timed element to the raids just because of the AQ gates event, and Naxx isn't going to be a cakewalk.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    honestly its probably for the best if they just keep it 1.12 as it was and all the jerkoff "hardcore vanilla" people can just burn through the content and quit because they rushed everything and got bored. then it can actually be a sandbox for the people who've mentally matured beyond the age of 12.

like i dont know who thinks getting any progression firsts will matter on the progression realm, and min/maxing won't matter at all. The people who do freak out about that stuff will just ruin it for themselves and probably go back to some private servers to keep reliving the realm first naxx circlejerk.

I mean, they're not doing all this work just so the hardcore community who wants vanilla the most will get bored in a few months and quit. If you don't satisfy them there's no point, it's certainly not made for casual players. The casual nostalgia crowd will all probably be sick of the game in a month or two regardless, just because of what it is.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Yeah but the casual nostalgia crowd aren't all going to start playing at the same time. There will be a relatively steady stream of people coming in and out of the servers.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    they are still going to need to farm all the shit to do AQ and Naxx they can't just skip right to it even if it wasn't gated. Gotta meet minimum dps reqs and uncrushable and all that right?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Plus resistance gear for the fights that demand it, like Huhuran and Sapphiron.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    I remember AQ and Naxx having spells on bosses that would straight up one shot you without enough nature resistance and hp, respectively.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    I remember AQ and Naxx having spells on bosses that would straight up one shot you without enough nature resistance and hp, respectively.

I remember that train wreck of a guild and how they got super serious after another guild harassed us out of Naxx with the comments of pay your dues

• Options
    Skeith wrote: »

Yeah I imagine with raid lockouts it'd probably take a year of raiding to at least hit naxx?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Yeah I imagine with raid lockouts it'd probably take a year of raiding to at least hit naxx?

Well NR stuff for Huhuran you would farm mostly in Mauradon (lvl 48ish instance IIRC) and a few pieces from outdoor dragon raids (this latter being a "only one raid can kill it a week" kind of thing.

Frost resist you had to get from within Naxxramas itself.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Wasn't 1.12 patch where they allowed everyone to buy high warlord gear? If so progression is pretty quick since there was craftable NR gear added before that and pvp weapons being very good.

And consumables being worth about a tier of gear means everything except naxx would die quick. Naxx clear will take a while due to gearchecks and horsemen being silly.

• Options
    I don't think it was widely available in that patch, and honor farming was an 18 hour a day affair on the competitive servers.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Honor 2.0 didn't roll out until patch 2.0 (aka TBC Pre-Patch) so you'd still have to throw away your life to get a complete honor set in 1.12.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    Honor 2.0 didn't roll out until patch 2.0 (aka TBC Pre-Patch) so you'd still have to throw away your life to get a complete honor set in 1.12.

I got rank 11 and even that took a long time

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I don't know how much time it took me to get Knight-Captain but I am absolutely sure that I am unwilling to do it again and distrust anyone who is

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I don't know how much time it took me to get Knight-Captain but I am absolutely sure that I am unwilling to do it again and distrust anyone who is

Yeah I'm grinding a mount in AV (cheapest epic mount and raid ammo) and then PvP can fuck off forever.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options

I remember how long I hovered around Centurion [dip below a rank and above depending on that week for me} As it was a nasty week at work because the Feds busted many of the managers in a money laundering scheme the paranoia was real

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »

Yeah, the old system was brutal. I made tank 10 or 11 playing a ton of pvp one summer. Then I had to be away from a computer for 2 weeks, and dropped 2 ranks or so which utterly killed my motivation to grind rank again.

• Options

Yeah I'm grinding a mount in AV (cheapest epic mount and raid ammo) and then PvP can fuck off forever.

I do miss the 5 day long AV games though.

Pop in and out and see the same people playing in AV.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I remember the Grand Marshall on my server switched a few times but mostly because every character that had gotten Grand Marshall was played by 3 or 4 people so that they could almost 24/7 PvP and keep ranked up.

I only ever got to Knight rank. I did a lot of people but never enough consistently to rank up really high.

I also miss these AVs. I think the longest one on my server went for 9 days some how. Or it felt like 9 days. I remember logging off at night to go to sleep for school and getting on after school and going into the same AV.

All the collectibles to summon the cavalry or flying units was cool. The lords or gods or whatever they were called were a huge pain.

I remember a huge fight in the middle of AV, both sides going at it and I had just gotten my Warlock to 60 and saw another Warlock drop an Infernal. I feared him before he could take control of it and chained it myself and started beating people up.

I played on my friend's Priest once because she kept talking about how fun it is to Mind Control people and I spent a few hours in AV Mind Controlling people and throwing them off of stuff.

It was good times.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    I suspect there will be a bunch of eli

This is almost assuredly not going to happen. Cross realm BGs was implemented before the TBC prepatch, so I doubt it's going to be a very insular community in that respect. Also, 1.12 is after the nerfed the shit out of/removed most of the npcs. It'll basically be like current AV without the reinforcements.

• Options
    I honestly think the long games of AV might be the only interesting aspect of vanilla, though I wish it'd be doable without the huge bottleneck fight

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I’m pretty doubtful that classic will have the same boom and bust cycle as release. People come and go from the live game with the release of new content. What will draw people back to classic, once the initial allure wears off?

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    I’m pretty doubtful that classic will have the same boom and bust cycle as release. People come and go from the live game with the release of new content. What will draw people back to classic, once the initial allure wears off?

I'm hoping they layer on additional systems that may not affect the regular game. Like the battle pet stuff and achievements. Changes things up and adds new content without actually changing the old stuff people want.

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »

I'm hoping they layer on additional systems that may not affect the regular game. Like the battle pet stuff and achievements. Changes things up and adds new content without actually changing the old stuff people want.

I severely doubt it. In the dev watercooler, they said that the patch they picked was largely because of the content available at the time, like battlegrounds. This tells me that any content NOT implemented by this patch won't be in the game.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I read it as "this patch has the most content so it's the easiest starting point to work off of"

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    Phyphor wrote: »

Yeah, the old system was brutal. I made tank 10 or 11 playing a ton of pvp one summer. Then I had to be away from a computer for 2 weeks, and dropped 2 ranks or so which utterly killed my motivation to grind rank again.

It worked out pretty well for me, but it did take a couple months and playing way more than I even wanted to at the very end. I hit rank 11 (and 2% to 12) on the week that my friends got me a tryout with the raiding guild they joined. The group of people in the rank 14 rotation were slightly worried about me because I was placing at #4-5 in honor on the server soloing until they realized I just wanted 11 for the mounts. It was during university so I had plenty of time after class to burn, but I still use the title and mounts as a reminder to myself to not do that anymore

Phyphor on
  • Options
    The two people I remember getting Grand Marshall on Windrunner back in Vanilla were vile people
    One was a afker the other was a account sharing cheat

And then there was Nicolai the undead rogue as I learned from him about honor soaking and much much more about the negitives about pvp in wow
    I remember where honor got you as I barely got to Blood Guard and he was Warlord to High Warlord in the same span

• Options
    Grinding out pvp ranks would likely not be as difficult in classic, due to the smaller number of people participating. Old honor ranks were mostly granted on a curve.

• Options
    I would guess its actually going to be harder to get hwl/gm at first since so many people are going to want to show their epeen and prove they are super hardcore and can get it. Basically just play the game get rank 8ish pretty easily and get raid gear to fill in the gaps is way more time efficient.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I was thinking of coming back to wow again since quitting back in Burning Crusade and I've just had a cold sweat come over me.
    I just remember the endless number of times we ran molten core and zul garub and we were well into AQ40 and Naxx and we still had to farm that old shit...
    We got so good with Molten Core we could farm it in about two hours give or take ten minutes...

Raiding was nice when it was the friday night 5hour slot... then it became 20hours because we had to farm raids... not to mention the 10 or so hours after that to grind the gold for repair bills and flasks and bandages and whatever else fuck all...

I had some good friends in WOW from many different guilds and I guess... frenemies in the alliance, and I'd kill to get that kind of community again... but im feeling like im having a panic attack just remembering all that grinding.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    everyone will be much more optimized in how they do everything. i doubt things would take that long. In general player skill has gone up a lot. There would still be a lot of grinding but i dont think it would be nearly as long as in vanilla, everyone kind of has a gogogo attitude now as well.

• Options
    Yeah I'm real curious about how that winds up going. The perpetuation of information is just so much more refined now than it used to be. The best place to get information about a boss in vanilla was what, (if she breathes she's a) thottbot?

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    usually you would just watch a random guild kill a boss on youtube or google video and just try to kind of copy what they did. Thottbot really just had locations for quest stuff, it didnt really have shit for raiding or dungeons. People actually used the wow forums to communicate a lot of info as well.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Thottbot definitely had boss fight explanations attached to the boss's page. Youtube videos that explained bosses didn't really come into their own until TBC or Wrath and not many guilds put up videos of their kills since such a thing was a brand new concept at the time (remember that Youtube is younger than WoW).

• Options
    Also putting up your kills meant more competition from other guilds.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    there was a motion back in the early days of *not* recording your kills. You wanted to be the first and *only* guild on the server to clear a raid dungeon.

case and point. the alchemy table in black wing lair. You needed to kill four of the toughest bosses in the game, razergore, valestraz, broodlord and emberfang. but once you did that, you have free access for the entire week to the alchemy table, which you used to make flasks of wisdom, stamina, etc for raiding. the only other table in the world at that time was in scholomance behind a 1 to 2hour grind each time you went in.

having a free alchemy table meant you could brew flasks to your heart's content and only 1.2%~ of the server had access, and of that small percentage, only 10 or 15 people on the *server* had those alchemy recipes. You could sell flasks for the exact same price as others did, but you didn't put in nearly the same amount of work grinding scholo.

I made bank doing that. I bought alliance materials because they were dirt cheap and I sold a finished product for 4000% of the materials used because Horde was none the wiser at the time. I didn't charge out the ass for my pots and flasks. I charged market value. But I went and paid for materials and such as cheaply as I could so I could turn a profit. Its how I funded my tank repair bills and world drop purchases because unlike other warriors that forged armor and blades, I knew that *every* character needed stims and pots *all* the time, compared to a one and done weapon/armor order.

Even with the later dungeons, there were materials and things that could only be found on certain bosses and have exclusive access meant you could fund your guild bank for quite a few weeks with whatever price you wanted to put up on the Auction.

If you all remember the first and second chinese farmer purges, health and mana potions jumped up between 200% and 500% of the going rates. It had to happen, because those farmers were putting stuff on auction so cheaply, you could buy them and *vendor* them for a profit. it damn near killed the economies of the game because of the glut of *stuff*.

Needless to say, I felt like Nick Cage in Lord of War, when Perestroika happened or Walter White in Breaking Bad.
    It was open season to start making tons of cash.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
This discussion has been closed.