As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

OPEN SPOILERS! 10 Years, 18 Movies, it has all been leading to [Avengers: Infinity War]

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Costs AC?

Based on a number of shows and movies (and like the entire genre known as Anime), I'd say it all but makes one impervious to attack.

That's why it's so shocking when that guy gets abruptly eaten by the shark in Deep Blue Sea (yes I'm being vague but surely the statute of limitations has run out on a B rate (if that) movie that's nearly 20 years old holy shit it's nearly 20 years old what the fuck?).

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Costs AC?

Based on a number of shows and movies (and like the entire genre known as Anime), I'd say it all but makes one impervious to attack.

That's why it's so shocking when that guy gets abruptly eaten by the shark in Deep Blue Sea (yes I'm being vague but surely the statute of limitations has run out on a B rate (if that) movie that's nearly 20 years old holy shit it's nearly 20 years old what the fuck?).

Or when that guy in that Marvel movie is monologuing and is interrupted by that big green guy.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Quipping while attacking though clearly has a limit, as Spider-Man shows.

"Magic!"
    "More magic!"
    "Magic with a kick!"
    "Magic with a GUH!" As Thanos finally chokeslams him.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular

"Magic!"
    "More magic!"
    "Magic with a kick!"
    To be fair, he was quipping, portalling, AND attacking

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »

"Magic!"
    "More magic!"
    "Magic with a kick!"

Clearly, quipping is a free action.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

"Magic!"
    "More magic!"
    "Magic with a kick!"

Spiderman's spider sense is basically a Feat that turns quipping into a free action.

I never read the comics, but I remember reading in a Spiderman guide that his spidersense essentially allows him to fight on autopilot so his conscious mind can be dedicated to quipping. Which is especially effective since so many of his villians are irritable middle-aged men.

• Options

"Magic!"
    "More magic!"
    "Magic with a kick!"

Spiderman's spider sense is basically a Feat that turns quipping into a free action.

I never read the comics, but I remember reading in a Spiderman guide that his spidersense essentially allows him to fight on autopilot so his conscious mind can be dedicated to quipping. Which is especially effective since so many of his villians are irritable middle-aged men.

I don't recall reading this element, but I remember reading someone once say that the quipping was basically his way of putting enemies off balance, as well as a mechanism to handle the stress of the conflicts he found himself in.

It might not be a universal take on things, but I always liked that stance. Part debuff (as it were), part coping mechanism.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I'm a little disappointed Drax and Thanos didn't get more interaction, but I guess it would've just been a repeat of the Guardians 1 fight with Ronan.

"Who?"

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Drax did try to get Thanos.
    He crumbled to pieces.

• Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    He crumbled to pieces.

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    He crumbled to pieces.

Yeah, but no acknowledgement whatsoever.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options

"Magic!"
    "More magic!"
    "Magic with a kick!"

I don't recall reading this element, but I remember reading someone once say that the quipping was basically his way of putting enemies off balance, as well as a mechanism to handle the stress of the conflicts he found himself in.

It might not be a universal take on things, but I always liked that stance. Part debuff (as it were), part coping mechanism.

General rule of thumb: If Spider-Man isn't cracking a joke, then you have severely pissed him right off and he's going full tilt.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Would Thanos know who Drax is beyond being a member of a civilization one of his lieutenants genocided?

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

"Magic!"
    "More magic!"
    "Magic with a kick!"

General rule of thumb: If Spider-Man isn't cracking a joke, then you have severely pissed him right off and he's going full tilt.

Or, you know, Doc Ock's up to his old antics again

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options

"Magic!"
    "More magic!"
    "Magic with a kick!"

I'm reminded of an old Spider-Man comic I read as a kid where he was fighting (one of them) Hobgoblin and was real tired of him and stopped with the quips, he wasn't even talking. He just beat on him a whole goddamn bunch.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Ya if Spider-man isn't quipping, you should be straight up terrified of the beating you are about to receive

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    I haven't read it yet, but I've heard there's a section of Superior Spider-Man where (is it even a spoiler who? It's the premise of the series...) *someone* from his rogue's gallery ends up in control of Spider-Man (like, in his head) and marvels at how much restraint he'd shown over the years. That he could've just ended any number of them, and easily, countless times in the past.

I really should look into a trade paperback of that, unless someone notes that I shouldn't because it was hot bullshit or something.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I haven't read it yet, but I've heard there's a section of Superior Spider-Man where (is it even a spoiler who? It's the premise of the series...) *someone* from his rogue's gallery ends up in control of Spider-Man (like, in his head) and marvels at how much restraint he'd shown over the years. That he could've just ended any number of them, and easily, countless times in the past.

I really should look into a trade paperback of that, unless someone notes that I shouldn't because it was hot bullshit or something.

I loved superior spidey. Falters a bit in spots but otherwise is filled with great moments

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular

"Magic!"
    "More magic!"
    "Magic with a kick!"

The other night, a bro and I were discussing something fascinating about Spider-Man.

Y'all ever notice how everyone Spider-Man fights, be they mugger or supervillain, immediately defaults to Ultramurder Spider-Man Mode the second he shows up?

Like, this guy has been dealing with people trying their absolute hardest to kill him since he was sixteen. Never once are these guys like 'cheese it, it's the Spider-Man,' or 'just distract him and scram.'

No, these people will go from quietly burgling, to KILL EVERYONE the second Pete shows up. They will go out of their way to kill this guy, long after they've escaped or been foiled.

And he's just, like... whatevs, this is my jam.

Damn, son.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote: »

"Magic!"
    "More magic!"
    "Magic with a kick!"

The other night, a bro and I were discussing something fascinating about Spider-Man.

Y'all ever notice how everyone Spider-Man fights, be they mugger or supervillain, immediately defaults to Ultramurder Spider-Man Mode the second he shows up?

Like, this guy has been dealing with people trying their absolute hardest to kill him since he was sixteen. Never once are these guys like 'cheese it, it's the Spider-Man,' or 'just distract him and scram.'

No, these people will go from quietly burgling, to KILL EVERYONE the second Pete shows up. They will go out of their way to kill this guy, long after they've escaped or been foiled.

And he's just, like... whatevs, this is my jam.

Damn, son.

I think the appearance of a masked hero tends to escalate tension and makes the bad guys go into "this guy can take it" mode, especially since many of them are probably unaware of his age at first. I love the moments in Spiderman 1, 2, and to a lesser extent, Homecoming, when the villain first realizes, "Crap. This jerk I've been trying to kill is just a kid. And a pretty likable one, too."

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Spider-Man as a ridiculously experienced "I've fought everyone, regularly, and been punched, shot at, exploded etc on a constant basis for my entire adult life" superhero is where he should be now.

Like, if you think about it, he's absolutely a hardened combatant, I wish they showed that more. Not in him being brutal or anything, just someone laser-ing him through a wall or whatever, and another hero is like "doesn't that hurt?" And Spidey's all "yeah, loads, but whatever I guess"

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Spider-Man as a ridiculously experienced "I've fought everyone, regularly, and been punched, shot at, exploded etc on a constant basis for my entire adult life" superhero is where he should be now.

Like, if you think about it, he's absolutely a hardened combatant, I wish they showed that more. Not in him being brutal or anything, just someone laser-ing him through a wall or whatever, and another hero is like "doesn't that hurt?" And Spidey's all "yeah, loads, but whatever I guess"

"It makes me nostalgic because it reminds me of that one time when..."

• Options
    All this is why Spider-Man is, factually, the best superhero fyi hth

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    This recent discussion about feats and whatnot makes me want to dig into my closet to see if I still have my copy of the Marvel Roleplaying game.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

You really, really should read it all the way through. It's up and down, but the ending, and the return has possibly the single best "Oh shit" moment from a villian.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    All this is why Spider-Man is, factually, the best sup-

I'ma let you finisher but Iron Man is the greatest of all time,,,

• Options
    DedmanWalkinDedmanWalkin Registered User regular
    So, I've been thinking about the Snappening.

Some of those who were ashed do not follow the rules that Thanos laid out namely, half of every race.
    • Peter Quill is half-human/half celestial and is nominally the only person of his race.
    • Peter Parker is a Human/Spider Mutation and is nominally the only person of his race.
    • Drax's people were already reaped by Thanos so he should be immune.

So, based upon his rules, they should have been immune.

I'm pretty sure Thanos only says half of everybody. But he doesn't lay out a specific time frame. If he failed to specify "Everyone living right now, except people from those planets who I've already wiped out half or more of their population..." then it could still affect people who's planets Thanos already visited.

Quill, being half human and half celestial belongs to both those races, so his chances of getting snapped are doubled. (Please note, I'm not a mathematician, I don't know if that's the way the numbers/odds actually work out or not and to be honest I don't care if there's a goat behind door number 3). We don't know that Ego was the last of the Celestials either. It's entirely possible there is an uncounted population of them living out there in the dark between the stars, beyond the edge of the galaxy, or living unnoticed among the assorted sapient species of the universe. If that's the case, then it would follow logically that there could be other halfbreeds just like Quill, possibly even a number of half siblings that Ego hadn't gotten around to harvesting yet, or their descendants if Ego forgot them and left them to grow up and raise families of their own.

Parker, being half human and half spider... well, see above. Lots of spiders out there who likely got snapped because Thanos wasn't too good at thinking. Probably less chance of additional half human/ half spider mutations though (spider-man spinoffs, duplicates, copies, clones and assorted other spider folk in the comics not withstanding).

Really, it's entirely possible that when the Snap occurred, whatever motivating/driving force was responsible just counted up all life in the galaxy into the same big number, then divided by two. We don't know, and don't really need to know for the story to be told.

We know for a fact that his intended goal is to halve every race not all of sentient life. He said Gamora's people lived in a utopia because of what he did and he intends to look at the sunset while the universe benefits from the same process he used on Gamora's people. Indiscriminately halving the universe would not achieve his stated goal. If only 10% of people on a given planet were ashed, it would not create the utopic (word?) state he desires. Killing too much of a race would have dire consequences on genetic stability and overall viability as a species.

By the time that Thanos pulls off the Snap, he has all 6 gems. This means that he has an AI from the Mind Stone backed with unlimited processing power from the Power Gem, unlimited processing speed from the Time Gem, unlimited range thanks to the Space Gem, unlimited ability to track all sentients ensuring no one escapes from the Soul Stone, and unlimited ability to erase even powerful beings thanks to the Reality Stone. All of them functioning together could track every sentient in the galaxy, categorize them by race, determine the state of their race, and eliminate them as necessary.

The phrase half-human half whatever is just a stand in term for whatever race they become like Mule. Being half of one and half of another, wouldn't double your chances because you are a unique race. Any Half-celestial, half whatever would not count as being half-human, half celestial.

As for Spider-man, he is legit the most dangerous man on Marvel Earth. All of his powers build off each other and combine to make him more than the sum of his parts. Superhuman speed + Superhuman Agility + Superhuman Reflexes + Spider-Sense allow him to literally dance around most foes untouched. Combined that with his high-intelligence and superhuman strength and durability, you make for an unbeatable combination. If he had a Wolverine-style healing factor, he would be practically unstoppable.

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »

I'm not finish stop being right, if you're just gonna run up here being wrong.

I love RDJ Iron Man, but he's still just 1/3 of a Batman.

And Batman is lesser than Spider-Man.

That's just simple math.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular

That's just simple math.
    Point of order - Batman beats up street criminals not because he has to, but because he wants to.

Iron Man builds goddamn flying suits of armor.

What's Batman got? Shark repellent?

Don't believe me? It's all in the numbers.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

I'ma let you finish but Iron Man is the greatest of all time,,,

That's just simple math.

He's like 5x batman, come on. He's like what if Batman was actually smart instead of obsessive and able to pay an R&D team. And cared about the world. And was part of a team instead of the creepy guy watching the team. And wasn't obsessed with neurotic crazy women. Iron Man is way better than Batman.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Spider-Man is nowhere near the most dangerous. Hulk, Thor, Strange could all do waaaaaaaaaaay more damage to everyone and everything. Tony would take him out. Cap is harder to call.

Maybe once he stops being such a goober.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Spider-Man is nowhere near the most dangerous.

Well, not now, unless it snows and you need something to grit the path with.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Spider-Man is nowhere near the most dangerous.

Well, not now, unless it snows and you need something to grit the path with.

Red Dwarf A+

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »

That's just simple math.
    Point of order - Batman beats up street criminals not because he has to, but because he wants to.

Iron Man builds goddamn flying suits of armor.

What's Batman got? Shark repellent?

Don't believe me? It's all in the numbers.

Tony Stark is a rich genius.

Batman is a rich genius; a detective; and can actually fight with his hands.

I got my doctorate in Being Right from Johnny Hopkins.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Batman isn't a detective, he uses his Batcomputer to do all the thinking for him.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

That one cartoon where Spiderman never actually punched anyone? They didn't do it to avoid a PG rating, they did it to avoid a MA rating.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Spider-Man is nowhere near the most dangerous. Hulk, Thor, Strange could all do waaaaaaaaaaay more damage to everyone and everything. Tony would take him out. Cap is harder to call.

Maybe once he stops being such a goober.

Pretty much any of them would be horrifying if they suddenly stopped pulling their punches, but Spidey is one of the ones who's holding back the most for most of the time.
    Like, everyone knows that Hulk can tear through skyscrapers at will, and they're mentally braced for that when he shows up. Spidey just shows up, webs some fools up, maybe knocks them out. And the joking quipping friendly neighbourhood spider-man has on at least one occasion I remember reading, gone to an abandoned building due for demolition, started punching to work off some stress issues, then abruptly had to leave when he realised that he's knocked the building down without even trying to.

Spider-man isn't nearly as dangerous as some of the others, true. But he's got one of the biggest gaps between how dangerous he appears and how dangerous he can actually be.

There's a bit in USM's Clone Saga where Fury admits that he was looking at everything Peter could do and what he was going through and was terrified that he was looking at the origin of the next super-villain. Which he thought he'd need an army of Spider-Slayers to deal with.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

That one cartoon where Spiderman never actually punched anyone? They didn't do it to avoid a PG rating, they did it to avoid a MA rating.

He never hit anyone in Homecoming either, luckily for Vulture.

• Options
    The only thing I would consider a mild cop out in a way is the fact that Spider-Man has "fucking crazy super strength". Though the somewhat legit reasoning is "If he has strength proportional to a spider, then technically being a ~150-200 pound man he really would have fucking crazy super strength". It's otherwise not something that gets brought up very often, except to say "Oh yeah he totally has fucking crazy super strength, he just holds back". Otherwise in like 90% of the time in any given story, Spider-Man's main advantage is his fucking crazy super agility.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    All this is why Spider-Man is, factually, the best superhero fyi hth

I agree that he's the best but his stories are usually too tragic for me. Like, one of the reasons I like MCU spidey is that Stark is in his corner, at least. I remember reading Secret Wars and every motherfucker was trying to kill Spidey, even the X-men. Give the guy a fucking break!

Thawmus on
This discussion has been closed.