As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Conduct Unbecoming

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited June 2018 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Conduct Unbecoming

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    retroGiantretroGiant Registered User new member
    Looks like theres a typo in the first panel "this this"

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    The 1050 is a really good card for mid-range graphics gaming

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I mean, I still run an 8something I think and play most games that I play on medium.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    bitcoin mining has fucked up the graphic card market. Like absent wanting to pay a blood price your going to not get the best card for value.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I dunno what my laptop has, but I'm pretty sure it has the word "integrated" in the name.

It plays HotS just fine, though! It also perfectly sears my thigh meat whenever I play HotS...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    bitcoin mining has fucked up the graphic card market. Like absent wanting to pay a blood price your going to not get the best card for value.

Yeah, unless you're getting a card as part of a prebuilt machine those bitcoin wankers have ruined the market.

1070TI represent

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I dunno what my laptop has, but I'm pretty sure it has the word "integrated" in the name.

It plays HotS just fine, though! It also perfectly sears my thigh meat whenever I play HotS...

sounds like you should multi task and cook dinner while playing Hots

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Could probably make some paninis while I get a few matches in.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    The joke is that Tycho is being unreasonable

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    but a modern computer that could be fully powered up for a significant amount of time by a wind-up crank would be amazing.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Cranks on each side of the tower with foot pedals. Get Chun-Li thighs while you game!

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Whatever happened to the "$100 laptop" with a crank they were going to distribute in third world countries?

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Whatever happened to the "$100 laptop" with a crank they were going to distribute in third world countries?

it all went wrong

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    While this comic might just be made up, I just assumed that Mike would have had something crazy for his gaming PC. 1080ti or something along those lines.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular

it all went wrong

With that description I can only assume they went rogue and had to be destroyed by a crack commando team on a remote island.

• Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    actually gpu prices are mostly back to normal these days.
    normal being, around MSRP, not exactly a ton of huge discounts...
    that said, a 1050 is bad and you should feel bad and stupid for buying one.
    unless you're just playing super simple cartoon games like Fortnite.
    for more demanding PC games at least get a 1060(6GB). MINIMUM.
    unless you are totally broke,in which case, get a AMD with whatever integrated garbage they're hawking today, play your Forntnite, and never, ever, tell ANYONE.

• Options
    sokpupetsokpupet Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    C'mon Gabe, mention how Warhammer ripped off Blizzard again and tip him allll the way over.

sokpupet on
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Cranks on each side of the tower with foot pedals. Get Chun-Li thighs while you game!

It seems the technology exists to do this:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81eOyU12lKL._SL1500_.jpg

Plus a battery and... we're in business.

Joke ruined! :P

edit: image is bigger than I thought.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Joke ruined, dream achieved.

I'm gonna be crackin' walnuts with these muscly legs.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

I get it!

I get jokes!

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    i-c8fMVJD-2100x20000.jpg

(Posting because Mike referenced it as the inverse of today's strip.)

• Options
    ShowsniShowsni Registered User regular
    The ad on the newspost for this was for a 1080. Clearly Tycho controls what goes in the ad banner.

• Options
    MattimusPrimeMattimusPrime Registered User regular
    jwalk wrote: »
    actually gpu prices are mostly back to normal these days.
    normal being, around MSRP, not exactly a ton of huge discounts...
    that said, a 1050 is bad and you should feel bad and stupid for buying one.
    unless you're just playing super simple cartoon games like Fortnite.
    for more demanding PC games at least get a 1060(6GB). MINIMUM.
    unless you are totally broke,in which case, get a AMD with whatever integrated garbage they're hawking today, play your Forntnite, and never, ever, tell ANYONE.

And PC people wonder why other people just go for consoles.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    A 1050 is perfectly decent for someone who doesn't spend a lot of time tweaking shader settings and shit. I was briefly wondering about whether I needed to upgrade my video card and I read through some frankly unedifying squabbles about the acceptability of dropping below 120hz at 4k and I thought yeah nah what I have will last me for some years to come.

I do need a 970 EVO M.2 though. Because that will make an actual difference.

V1m on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    At least he didn't buy a three yard elf PC.

• Options
    TamdrikTamdrik Registered User new member
    He might not be able to just pop in a new video card quite as easily as Tycho suggests, since the PC looks like it comes with a 300W PSU.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    The only JOKE here is that JOKE of a VIDEO CARD that Gabe is using which is basically a SHITTY SPACE HEATER that's only good for being a CANARY in a BITCOIN MINE.

• Options
    V1m wrote: »
    A 1050 is perfectly decent for someone who doesn't spend a lot of time tweaking shader settings and shit. I was briefly wondering about whether I needed to upgrade my video card and I read through some frankly unedifying squabbles about the acceptability of dropping below 120hz at 4k and I thought yeah nah what I have will last me for some years to come.

Not to turn this into the PC build thread but if 4k gaming is your concern than a 1050 is not the card for you. I put the1050 around console graphic levels. Not sure if its 1080p capable though

• Options
    RottonappleRottonapple Registered User regular
    edited June 2018

"people who bought this also bought a LifeStraw"
    Preppers. I guess they gotta game too.

Rottonapple on
  • Options

"people who bought this also bought a LifeStraw"
    Preppers. I guess they gotta game too.

You use the straw drink from the pool of sweat you generate as you game. you become the computer.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Karl wrote: »
    V1m wrote: »

Not to turn this into the PC build thread but if 4k gaming is your concern than a 1050 is not the card for you. I put the1050 around console graphic levels. Not sure if its 1080p capable though

I have a 1060GTX already and 1440p 60hz screens. I feel like I have the pretties covered. It's easy to fall down the "but this is demonstrably faster and only £300 more expensive!" rabbit-hole. But I'd rather drop half the money on an insanely fast SSD that will be vastly more effective in increasing perceived performance.

V1m on
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    I think the difference between a SATA and nve SSDs is negligible in most use cases like gaming. And with the reduced performance of ‘speculative execution branch prediction’ due to Meltdown and Spectre exploit fixes even more so.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Man, I'm still using a GTX 560Ti, and it's only been the past couple years (and then mostly just AAA stuff) that games have minimum requirements I can't run.

Can you actually get something like a 1060 6-gig for ~MSRPrices again? Last time I was looking was around... March I think? ...and they were still pretty jacked up at the time.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    My rule of thumb is that if something won't run on my current system, it probably isn't worth playing anyway. It has yet to fail me.

• Options
    yeah mine like like 8 years old tho

apart from the video card which is better than Gabe's :joy: