As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Telltale] Tales from the Borderlands - Ep.3 "Catch a Ride" out now!

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I would be both sad and not surprised if they follow the same beats as the original TWD with Clem and uh... that kid AJ.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    They almost have to, right?
    I think it would make less sense if Clem didn't morph into Lee by the end of this.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    I guess as long as
    They don't use some horribly contrived means of getting Clem bit like that STUPID NINJA ZOMBIE WTF, it might be okay.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    That's usually how the strong survivors get bit, though. The one time they let their guard down...

Gonna be disappointed if Clem bites the dust by the end, though I would accept that outcome if it ends with a shot of her sitting in a field or whatever smiling and happy with Lee on one side and her parents on the other, and the camera just pulls back and fades to credits.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I feel about the games like I do about the comics: I think it would work better as a series of vignettes instead of following a single character/group's through-line. I'd rather have had each season be a different person's story.

• Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    That's usually how the strong survivors get bit, though. The one time they let their guard down...

Gonna be disappointed if Clem bites the dust by the end, though I would accept that outcome if it ends with a shot of her sitting in a field or whatever smiling and happy with Lee on one side and her parents on the other, and the camera just pulls back and fades to credits.

That is true, and I was cool with Lee getting bit as part of the narrative of Clem's journey and all. But, the circumstances and execution were just so dumb and extremely forced that it still annoys me to this day.

Look at this:
    Z25Ddti.png

That radio is playing static all that time, it had to have been dropped or otherwise placed there. The zombie is somehow positioned such that it supports the cardboard, and is a adult sized male zombie, nearly as tall as Lee. The zombie would also have to not smell. Breathing isn't a necessity for the zombies, but even assuming the wind blew the cardboard onto it.

O0Q8X0R.png

It springs on him from this bizarre fetalesque stance or whatever, the bite is a quick cut of poor fight choreography variety and its execution was just so poorly done...

If the zombie was placed by that guy as a trap, why did it ignore the radio noise all that time?

Just... really hope they do a better job if they go that route.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

That is true, and I was cool with Lee getting bit as part of the narrative of Clem's journey and all. But, the circumstances and execution were just so dumb and extremely forced that it still annoys me to this day.

Look at this:
    Z25Ddti.png

That radio is playing static all that time, it had to have been dropped or otherwise placed there. The zombie is somehow positioned such that it supports the cardboard, and is a adult sized male zombie, nearly as tall as Lee. The zombie would also have to not smell. Breathing isn't a necessity for the zombies, but even assuming the wind blew the cardboard onto it.

O0Q8X0R.png

It springs on him from this bizarre fetalesque stance or whatever, the bite is a quick cut of poor fight choreography variety and its execution was just so poorly done...

If the zombie was placed by that guy as a trap, why did it ignore the radio noise all that time?

Just... really hope they do a better job if they go that route.
    It's a zombie setting. Zombies occasionally having ninja superpowers is already a necessary conceit in order for a zombie apocalypse to exist at all.

• Options
    The zombie baby tag team ambush in another series was significantly less stupid than that scene.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Finally played Minecraft: Season 2.

I was really surprised by how much I liked it. Telltale finally got a real handle on how to blend the funny and with the peril, and it tells a good overarching story with strong new characters without rehashing too much of the structure of the actual Minecraft.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    So TWD final season comes out tomorrow.

It probably won't be great but I bought it anyway.

• Options
    Assuming I didn't buy it already, I'm probably going to wait before buying it as it's not cross play and I'd be buying it on my Surface Pro and I still haven't finished the last season.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I think I'm going to pick it up after work today if Death's Gambit doesn't patch it's FPS bugs before then. It's sitting pretty on Steam so far, 97%.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Ooops.

So... Tales from the Borderlands coming anytime...?

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    I've gone weeks without buying a game to sit on the stack indefinitely, I'd like to keep the streak going! :P

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Finally played Minecraft: Season 2.

I was really surprised by how much I liked it. Telltale finally got a real handle on how to blend the funny and with the peril, and it tells a good overarching story with strong new characters without rehashing too much of the structure of the actual Minecraft.

It holds up pretty good as as sequel.

Somewhat related: I'm annoyed that The Walking Dead collection (the pre-order bonus on consoles for the final season) apparently had issues importing my saves across seasons that the actual separate games, curiously enough, did not. Specifically, a later season thought that I had Lee save Doug when I had him save Carley. I'm slightly worried about what that might mean for Season 4's drawing on saves from Season 3 (though considering I played both versions of the last three seasons on my Xbox, I'm not sure how it makes the distinction).

On the other hand, I heard numerous complaints about these problems from people who played the seasons as they were coming out, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

• Options
    Yeah, Telltale is pretty bad in terms of Save Management. I've had to backup and restore saves numerous times to get the right paths going.

I hope my saves are still there from TNF but I'm not sure I have them still since I had to reinstall a few times thanks to Microsoft and Windows Update.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    So, yeah. They're doing a really good job with 'The Final Season'. I love the engine changes (except still iffy on the way far shadows are rendered), they've changed the usual fixed camera perspective into a third person every time that there's room to roam, combat isn't nearly as scripted unless it's a one on one QTA event, and collectables are also cool.

Episode One was strong for me. There's still the typical funneled ending that you would come to expect from Telltale stories regardless of choices made to change it, but the choices you do make with AJ are very interesting. I find myself trying to make him a smart survivalist without being a complete psychopath with zero humanity, but sometimes the easiest route is the most brutal. It being the introduction episode, it's mostly backstory for character development of a new group which slows down a good portion of it. There's also a ton of callbacks to other seasons. It's also one of the longer episodes of the games coming in at ~2:30-3 hours for me.
    AJ taking out Mulletboy was a shocker. The wavering 'What? I aimed for the head.' after the head shot was brutal. Also, I winced as soon as the dog showed up because there's only one way that can end, and being the animal lover that I am, I am not looking forward to it...

I highlighted my play if you are interested!

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'm making my way through the collection on PS4. I played seasons 1 and 2 on PC but not the rest, but I still want to go through them to build up the save. One interesting thing I've noticed is that a lot of the choices over the years have balanced out to be 50/50, or near to it. Other than the really, really obvious ones. But it makes me want to burn through the rest of the games quick so I can get to the final season, because seeing how you stack up to those percentages is still a unique part of these games, and this has kind of shown me that that's better done when the games are somewhat fresh in the zeitgeist.

Just got through all of season 1. Even knowing exactly what's coming, and making most of the same choices again... oh god the feels.

"Keep your hair short." *sniff*

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    50/50 percentages on choices on a fresh episode makes me believe that the choices are actually tough choices and not heavily weighted towards the obvious.

• Options
    NineNine Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Got major Road Warrior vibes from this episode. Clementine's got a leather jacket, she's driving a cool car which gets destroyed at the beginning of the story, she's hanging out with with a semi-feral child and now she has to help a small community fight off some raiders.

Nine on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Telltale Studios is closing its doors.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/09/telltale-games-begins-wave-of-layoffs-cancels-stranger-things-game/
    After Gamasutra reported on the story by saying Telltale was "closing its doors," The Verge followed up to indicate that a team of 25 staffers will remain on board—perhaps to usher the company's remaining Walking Dead episodes to launch. USGamer separately reports that a new game in Telltale's The Wolf Among Us series, and a previously announced series based on the Netflix show Stranger Things, have been canceled.

That sucks. :( I personally have several friends who were employed by Telltale and were laid off last Spring or are being laid off now.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Holy shit.

I mean, I knew they were going through tough times, but I thought they were going to do a rethink of their business and come back fresh. And hell, they've been busy porting their games to Switch and Netflix (Netflix!), so I was hoping they'd get enough revenue to keep afloat. I guess not.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Their game productions have been bit samey... well always.

a Shame it ended, but I haven't really been playing/buying their latest games.

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    This came out of nowhere.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    The employees have deserved better for a long time now. Management was being shitty to them and now they're all laid off. This sucks for all those people behind the games that they've made over all these years. But the people in charge that were being awful? They can go fuck themselves.

This means The Wolf Among Us 2 is canceled also.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    There is an article on The Verge that makes it sound like it was a really, really shitty experience working there.

Sad, as I liked some of their games, though they were getting a bit your-choices-don't-matter-anyway.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Cross-postin'
    We previously reported that a skeleton crew will remain behind to complete work on The Walking Dead Final Season. That information was inaccurate. Sources who wishes to remain anonymous explained that there is a skeleton crew at Telltale, but they will be working on the Minecraft Story Mode project for Netflix. In fact, The Walking Dead team was also laid off today and The Walking Dead Final Season will not be completed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.usgamer.net/amp/report-telltale-games-shutting-down-the-wolf-among-us-2-and-stranger-things-canceled

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Holy shit

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    If these are Telltale's final moments, they could have at least used TWD as a swan song of sorts and gone out with some dignity. If instead they're going to cancel the damn thing half way through and want to be remembered as the loud, wet, pant soiling fart that action will leave... then I guess they deserve that final memory of them.

I'm a bit upset about that, because I preordered the final season. But I'm not too miffed, because at least half that price I justify going towards the whole TWD collection that came free with it. It's just sad they won't finish the story then.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I really liked their take on Batman so it sucks that won't continue.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    From what I've heard, Telltale never saw a profit from any game post TWD Season 1. They staffed up way too quickly and took on too many projects with too much crunch and too much waste from fatigue.

If there are ever bankruptcy proceedings, I'm damn near 100% certain that we will also discover a bunch of Stranger Things-like scenarios where Telltale pays for a license for a big IP, immediately sends a team of grossly overworked people to start work on it, and then it falls through partway through development, but before a formal announcement.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    People bought the full final season of The Walking Dead. Is there going to be a refund or what?

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Jesus their flagship title is going to be incomplete?

This industry fucking sucks.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The people who actually made the games deserved better than the management that got them into this situation.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Obviously the whole situation is shitty. But it's one thing to cancel a project before launch. But actually leaving the final season of Walking Dead incomplete? That's pretty crap.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I can only assume someone's paying them for Minecraft Story Mode, whereas nobody's putting money into development for The Walking Dead.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2018

Also, there are laws on the books that are supposed to prevent companies the size of Telltale Games from firing employees like this without at least 60 days warning, but Telltale Games has gotten around it by hiring most of them as "contract employees."

This is indefensible behavior from those in charge at Telltale Games.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Instead of Clem dying at the end of the whole season the company dies after one episode.

Telltale was the walking dead all along.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Help us, THQ Nordic, you’re our only hope

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Watching gamers be gamers about this whole situation on SM reinforces my belief that gamers were a mistake.

Either way, I would hope this industry gets better at some point but as long as they have a large pool of young, hungry talent to exploit I don't see it happening.