As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Plans are afoot!

IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two SteaksMontreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
Hello folks.

We're going to be moving the old server-y-doos to a shiny new home.

The new servers are in Canada which is awesome.

Here are some cool things that I'm excited about:

* The new servers are 100% SSDs
* Internal network is 10x faster than before
* We've partnered with Cloudflare for SSL, DDoS, and content acceleration / caching
* We've upgraded all the software in our stack

Here are the steps in the move:

1. Build a duplicate environment in the new datacenter [ done ]
2. Perform an export of the current database [ done ]
3. Transfer the (large) export to the new database server in the new environment [ done ]
4. Restore the export to the new database server [ done ]
5. Set up Master/Slave replication between the servers so that changes are synced [ done ]
6. When everything is settled, put the site into maintenance mode [ done ]
7. Cut over DNS and convert the Slave into a Master [ done ]
8. Remove maintenance mode [ done ]

I am expecting relatively little down time. If things go well, something like 5-10 minutes.

Cross your fingers :)

IcyLiquid on

• SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    something like 5-10 minutes.

So help me God if it's even a minute longer...
    ...I'll be in bed sleeping and won't even notice. Good luck!

qsu74rrt43gg.png

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I am expecting relatively little down time.
    Cross your fingers :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKK4KmDlj8U

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Noice

JtgVX0H.png
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Oh hell yeah faster posts

• fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    real time footage of the solid state transfer

OBKCKNe.gif

(break a leg @IcyLiquid !)

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I will keep Murphy occupied while you do the migration

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Things should be moved. Are we feeling moved?

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Make myself at home? Don't mind if I do.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Why does everything suddenly taste like maple syrup?

Is this a bug?

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    There should not be any bugs in the maple syrup, I'll look into that.

Something is up with search, but its 1:30am so I'm gunna hit that tomorrow.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    The default tags have returned... Dunno if bug or feature.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    The what now?

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    When we first went to Vanilla, some tags in thread titles would be put in a colored box if they were on a list. After a while, that got turned off.

So, like, if you look at D&D right now, you'll see [chat] and [movies] having the straight text replaced.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Ah yes. There's nothing default about that. It's something I coded just for PA. I don't know if their being turned off was intentional or not. I assumed it was a bug due to Vanilla slowly evolving over time and becoming incompatible with my code.

Oh well, its nice that they're back.

edited June 2018
    Yeah, good call!

I was looking through the old threads because I remember talking about it, and did find a mention of it:

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/186101/what-causes-bracketed-parts-of-titles-to-get-the-neat-effect#latest

Edit: Also, Icy, people are singing your praises in D&D Chat but they don't want to batsignal you. :)

Athenor on
  • halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    Did something change along the top? My brain is telling me something feels "cleaner". May just be in my head.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Everything feels snappier to me so good news?

This is highly anecdotal as I haven't broken out my network monitoring tools, but it really feels like loading the forum subpages (not individual threads) is taking a few seconds. I know I went back to the D&D forum on my phone from the chat thread, and it took so long that Chrome mobile displayed a cached page that I had to override.

I know, this isn't much to go on, and my gut wonders if it has to do with the indexing.. but.

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Things seems to be loading much more slowly right now (including threads). Everything was much snappier about 1.5 hours ago.

The network monitoring waterfall seems to imply the issue is mainly with fetching images. But there are other queries that are taking quite a bit.

I've done a tweak to the mysql settings which, though it might not be causing this, was needed. I'll keep looking into why things might sometimes be slow.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    I've done a tweak to the mysql settings which, though it might not be causing this, was needed. I'll keep looking into why things might sometimes be slow.

Didn't completely resolve the issue but it seems to have helped? Now it's sometimes slow, sometimes not.

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Not getting errors, but loading to the site can take 30+ seconds on some pages.

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Yeah, all requests are either super snappy or delayed several seconds.

Geth roll 5c3

OrokosPA.png
    We've tracked down the faulty system and are now investigating the cause.

Looks like these hosts don't have bcmath module turned on either, just checking. :)

OrokosPA.png
    You're a bcmath.

We're about to fail over to a new load balancer which should resolve the problem.

• twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Everything seems much snappier now.

edit: maybe spoke too soon

twmjr on
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Just got a massive "SSL handshake could not be completed" error window that took up the entire left half of the screen and had no way to close it out or click links behind it. I had to go into my profile link then re-navigate back to where I was.

Probably due to us making live changes to the load balancer. Anyway, we've fixed it.

• twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    yup, definitely better now. thanks Icy & all!

twmjr on
    Yeah, that seems to have helped a ton.

Any chance of bcmath? :winky:

OrokosPA.png
    Geth roll 5c3

5c3 10 [5c3=1, 3, 5]

Bcmath is installed.

• SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Still slow for me when entering forums. Main page seems fine, but it takes 10+ seconds to enter forums.

Purging my cache has no effect.

Ninja edit:

Seems it's an issue the first time I visit a forum. Subsequent visits are fine. Viewing threads is quick. Probably just ghosts.

SeñorAmor on
    Bcmath is installed.

Excellent, thank you so much @IcyLiquid

This will help PbP for things like player/faction selection etc.

OrokosPA.png
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Ah yes. There's nothing default about that. It's something I coded just for PA. I don't know if their being turned off was intentional or not. I assumed it was a bug due to Vanilla slowly evolving over time and becoming incompatible with my code.

i realize this isn't mission critical in the slightest, but the bracket thing seems to be working for some threads and not others?aikwyjwp4b73.png

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular

i realize this isn't mission critical in the slightest, but the bracket thing seems to be working for some threads and not others?aikwyjwp4b73.png

IIRC it's always worked that way. Only certain pre-approved tags get converted to the fancy style.

^