As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Lost [Phalla] - GAME OVER - LEGION VICTORY! - OCCUPANT VICTORY!

• Options
    BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    I can update my daily vote records to reflect player order of the day. At the very least I can make sure that is error free.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    With that out of the way, let's talk about last night.

I think it's far more likely the Green kill is the mafia's standard, rather than a village vig. My best guess is that there isn't a specific "vig" but rather an object that allows the village to kill people. That also seems to align with the fact that we aren't seeing specific colors. If the mafia could steal it and use it, then suddenly having the kill turn up in red would be... unfortunate.

With that being said, I can see at least three possibilities for why we wouldn't see a village kill last night:

1.) Either Cythraul or JFP had it, and they were inactive
    2.) The use of the object is conditional/not allowed for village
    3.) It was stolen before it could be used

In any event, there should be a person or two out there who knows the actual answer. I will say for the record that it is highly likely that someone starting with a kill object probably ISN'T mafia. One of the big ideas behind the game is that the mafia needs to find it in order to increase their kill count.

Depending on which of the scenarios above are correct, there may be a few people who have a better clue than others about what is going on.

That also gets to the post above. We have a some very odd order of operation things going on. Especially if its going to change every night, having a record of it may be important as time goes on.

It definitely reads like a mafia kill.

We've only had the one theft claimed in-thread but it's still early in the day; there may be more info coming in later.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Re: objects

I used an object on someone last night, but the effect happens tonight. So it seems they operate on a delay.

- on re-read the instructions told me that, so maybe it's possible some are worded differently

Gizzy on
    Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    SaberOverEasySaberOverEasy Info Broker Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm curious about the theft. Having no experience with the source material, I took a quick look through the Lost Room wiki (seriously, there's one for EVERYTHING!), and it seems likely that the mafia in this game is the Order.

From what I read, they specifically want the Key and potentially other items. It's an interesting question as to if they had objects to begin with, or if they have to steal all of them.

• Options
    Gizzy wrote: »

I used an object on someone last night, but the effect happens tonight. So it seems they operate on a delay.

- on re-read the instructions told me that, so maybe it's possible some are worded differently

My guess is that there's a pretty wide variety to object triggers and effects. I'd certainly be interested in learning more about it. It seems like Locus and Austin had a good time brainstorming how many different types of abilities they wanted.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    I awoke to the cold, greasy realization that we’d brought the wrong person in. I went to the Cactus Jack for breakfast and to refocus...

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular

My guess is that there's a pretty wide variety to object triggers and effects. I'd certainly be interested in learning more about it. It seems like Locus and Austin had a good time brainstorming how many different types of abilities they wanted.

After i read that Kaplar stole and item I was thinking all night about whether or not it made sense to publicly state what that item (Cuff Links) does. What are everyone else's thoughts on this? One the one hand it gives the mafia info about what items are where (since we all know Kaplar has them now), on the other hand it gives the village more information about possible powers, plus info for anyone planning on targetting Kaplar. For example what if the cuff links make any seer on the target give opposite results (i forget what that's called... not paranoid seer but something else). Or perhaps they let the user choose a redirect target for any objects used on them. Or whatever. Does the village gain enough from that kind of info to offset what the mafia might use the info for?

Personally I'm leaning away from sharing (for now at least) but I don't think it's cut and dry so hoping to get other people's input on the idea.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    JPants wrote: »

After i read that Kaplar stole and item I was thinking all night about whether or not it made sense to publicly state what that item (Cuff Links) does. What are everyone else's thoughts on this? One the one hand it gives the mafia info about what items are where (since we all know Kaplar has them now), on the other hand it gives the village more information about possible powers, plus info for anyone planning on targetting Kaplar. For example what if the cuff links make any seer on the target give opposite results (i forget what that's called... not paranoid seer but something else). Or perhaps they let the user choose a redirect target for any objects used on them. Or whatever. Does the village gain enough from that kind of info to offset what the mafia might use the info for?

Personally I'm leaning away from sharing (for now at least) but I don't think it's cut and dry so hoping to get other people's input on the idea.

I think this is item-loser / item-taker's choice at this point in the game, and whether it's worth it will depend on the qualities of any Objects involved.

We've actually got more ability to verify information than usual, even if it doesn't proceed all that quickly, simply because Objects can move, letting the new holder confirm / deny any claims regarding them / people's capabilities. We could even use the rotating order of actions to good effect... provided we can confirm anything at all about the people involved's loyalties.

EG:

Gizzy says she item'd someone last night and it has a delay. She's last tonight - anyone can steal that item and confirm what it does. How helpful is that to the village? Much less clear.

Given that Bluecyan was asking about particular objects by name, and Saber's flavor speculation, I think the thing we don't want to do is be like "I have the Rocket Hammer," here in the thread until we can clear up what's going on a little more.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    I have already started to compile some information on Objects, if the village wished, and with the individual permission of my informants, I could begin compiling a public almanac of Objects. If people wanted to anonomisly post information to the village, I would happily work as an inbetween.

• Options
    Auralynx wrote: »

I think this is item-loser / item-taker's choice at this point in the game, and whether it's worth it will depend on the qualities of any Objects involved.

We've actually got more ability to verify information than usual, even if it doesn't proceed all that quickly, simply because Objects can move, letting the new holder confirm / deny any claims regarding them / people's capabilities. We could even use the rotating order of actions to good effect... provided we can confirm anything at all about the people involved's loyalties.

EG:

Gizzy says she item'd someone last night and it has a delay. She's last tonight - anyone can steal that item and confirm what it does. How helpful is that to the village? Much less clear.

Given that Bluecyan was asking about particular objects by name, and Saber's flavor speculation, I think the thing we don't want to do is be like "I have the Rocket Hammer," here in the thread until we can clear up what's going on a little more.

Agree with both bold. I think this is probably the right way to go, for now.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    My theory on reading the role pm again is that mafia may get objects by killing villagers? Is that a reasonable reading?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    38thDoe wrote: »
    My theory on reading the role pm again is that mafia may get objects by killing villagers? Is that a reasonable reading?

Between that and the flavor on the kill of Green? Seems plausible.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Bluecyan wrote: »
    I have already started to compile some information on Objects, if the village wished, and with the individual permission of my informants, I could begin compiling a public almanac of Objects. If people wanted to anonomisly post information to the village, I would happily work as an inbetween.

No offense Blue, but the one thing we know you are NOT is a villager. I'm the last person to advocate a "Kill Anyone Claiming Neutral" policy, but I'm definitely not comfortable with you serving as any sort of repository. Even if you truly are a neutral, it seems likely that the mafia has something that you need. Giving you a bunch of information seems like a good way for it to end up with them when you need to trade.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    In which case perhaps we hold off on giving roadmaps to power items to passing hitchikers. They may be escaped convicts.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Auralynx wrote: »

EG:

I think any sharing at this point is best done in private. To some extent we can confirm a bit about each other if we know what objects the other person had. There are definitely objects that are more/less likely to start off with the mafia. If you end up with something that seers, it's likely you got it off a villager, for example.

If Kaplar had an item to start off with, maybe he trades it back to 38th and they start confirming some things about each other. In any event, it's certainly a potential way to start building trust.

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Just to echo what some people are saying: yeah, I agree that we need to be real careful about being willy-nilly about disclosing to the thread what items you have and what they do, in a game where those items can be stolen from you.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    38th and I have confirmed between each other what the cufflinks do.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular

Sharing what they do after they leave your possession is reasonable.

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Hey, where did Brody go? He was alive on day one, did not die, and is now missing from the player list.

I would put my money on Brody being the mafia kill. Or hit. Or whatever you want to call it.

• Options

No offense Blue, but the one thing we know you are NOT is a villager. I'm the last person to advocate a "Kill Anyone Claiming Neutral" policy, but I'm definitely not comfortable with you serving as any sort of repository. Even if you truly are a neutral, it seems likely that the mafia has something that you need. Giving you a bunch of information seems like a good way for it to end up with them when you need to trade.

No offense taken. I believe I have been pretty open with people so far about who I am and what I am doing. I am very much looking for information. I am not exactly trying to take sides here, but am very much willing to help people who are looking to help me.

• Options
    Hey, where did Brody go? He was alive on day one, did not die, and is now missing from the player list.

I would put my money on Brody being the mafia kill. Or hit. Or whatever you want to call it.

More likely that Green was killed by the mafia and Brody was erased by an Object, would be my guess. Assuming it's not just a typo.

Is Brody still in the game? Is he a valid vote target?

• Options
    Can we make PM communications with players that have not been killed but are removed from the list of players?

• Options
    Moridin889 as a placeholder until I get off work. Also, I'm stubborn.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Cythraul wrote: »
    @jdarksun can you give me a detailed breakdown of each player and your read on them please.
    ISO of every player alive.

Matev - Doing the Twin Peaks thing. Character role play may be cover for mafia role. Voted on the Mamawolf wagon. Lean mafia.
    Sir Fabulous - Self-voted Day 1. Claimed to try and steal Bluecyan's item. Has not reported back on the success or failure of this. Advocates ending the universe itself. Lean mafia.
    Jpants - Lots of fluff posts. Voted for Bluecyan. Trying to figure out the item mechanics, which causes me to read villager. Lean villager.
    Moridin889 - All of like three posts since the game started. Probably mafia trying to lay low. Voted for Kaplar (first game in a long time) on Day 1. Lean mafia.
    38thDoe - Asked a mechanical question. Voted Gizzy on Day 1, Kaplar on Day 2 (for stealing his cufflinks). Some fluff posts. No read yet.
    Auralynx - More active on Day 2 than Day 1. Voted Gizzy on Day 1. Fluff posts, but is clued in on the joke. Good mechanics discussion. Lean village.
    jdarksun - The only one that has posted a full read list so far. Clearly trying to find mafia. Strong village.
    vagrant_winds - Voted for jdarksun on Day 1. Suspicious. Lots of fluff. No attempt to find mafia. Moderate lean mafia.
    Romantic Undead - Grudge voted MamaWolf on Day 1. Lots of fluff posts. Lean mafia.
    Cythraul - Inactive Day 1. Mainly active here for Phalla, but doesn't play Day 1? All fluff posts, but in on the joke. Lean mafia.
    SaberOverEasy - Digging into mechanics AND trying to figure out what's going on? Classic SOE. Against the bluepository. Lean village - but! - voted vagrant_winds Day 1. If v_w turns out to be mafia, that could be wolf-on-wolf violence. Lean village unless v_w is mafia.
    Bluecyan - So many posts. Lots of mechanical questions. Not Village. Keeping vote records! Ultimately voted MamaWolf (boo). Lots of fluff. Not Village, but maaaybe neutral?
    Bedlam - Like three posts. One vote. Maybe mafia trying to lay low? Need more out of Bedlam!
    Kaplar - Voted discrider Day 1. First game in a while. Worked on confirming how items work with 38thDoe. No lean yet.
    chamberlain - Voted v_w Day 1. Mostly fluff posts, but pointed out that Brody is gone so they must be paying attention. Which is an odd dichotomy; lean mafia.
    Wildcat - Mostly a phalla player. Voted Moridin Day 1, but is otherwise inactive. Lean mafia.
    JusticeforPluto - Inactive. Didn't vote Day 1. Need more from JfP!
    discrider - Vote SirFab Kaplar Moridin Day 1, SirFab Day 2. In on the joke. Mostly fluff posts, but asked for details on why BlueCyan is creating the bluepository. No real read yet. Sliiight village.
    premium - Three posts, one vote, no data. More premium please!
    Gizzy - Voted Auralynx Day 1. Providing mechanical information, which is good. Lean village.

This shit is exhausting. I started as a joke, finished out of stubbornness, but am acceptably satisfied with the results.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    I thought I voted for moridin yesterday

• Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    You're leaning mafia on like half the players. Seems way too low, should be at least 75% lean mafia. Clearly trying to cover your own mafia leanings.

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    jdarksun - The only one that has posted a full read list so far. Clearly trying to find mafia. Strong village.

This part tucked in the middle is my favorite, lol

• Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    I'd love to discuss item mechanics without looking like mafia. Is there a form I have to fill out or something?

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Options
    Cythraul wrote: »
    I'd love to discuss item mechanics without looking like mafia. Is there a form I have to fill out or something?

Yup, it’s under messages, in the recipient, put “SaberOverEasy” then put the relevant information into n the Message box

:)

• Options
    When I thought I was breaking a tie I voted Moridin.

I was sad about the Mamawolf thing too, but it was ten minutes till vote close, and I wanted to avoid potential ties.

Current votes (today will be a little spotty for me especially towards close):
    plzc7dbqi076.png

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    I tend to have lower post counts because of work. Takes up most primetime phalla time. I'm not certain keeping Object information secret is a good plan. Village is mostly served by more info, and being able to easily verify stuff and form strategies based on the objects is a good plan

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    The town was on edge. Suspicion threatening to turn camaraderie to tribalism. Jdarksun, the local newspaper’s crank editor, had put out a morning edition that posited most of the town was mobbed up. Even among the shells, a blind squirrel can find a nut once in awhile. Someone was up to something in Gallup, and I had to find them and their connection to Sunshine.

Discrider seemed quick to jump to suspicions, while vagrant_winds seemed shifty. The town’s resident grifter, Moridin had many accusations against him. I could only chalk it up to bad blood and look for wolves among the sheep.

That’s all for now Diane. I expect i’ll get more recording done in a bit.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    And because it's unwise to keep persistent threats against me unchallenged Kaplar

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular

Sorry, I'm not sure who you are referring to.

Please see the following section in the OP for voting rules.
    Each day, the players must vote to “kill” another player on the player list by posting the name of the player they wish to kill in bold red. The player who has the most votes at the end of the day will be eliminated from the game.

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Can we make PM communications with players that have not been killed but are removed from the list of players?

You may only PM players who appear on the player list.

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Only a mafia would defend themselves over baseless accusations, especially without a bandwagon on them.

Do we know the order of actions is simply everyone's order in the OP? Or is that just our assumptions right now? Because it makes sense as a possibility.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    edited June 2018

Sorry, I'm not sure who you are referring to.

Please see the following section in the OP for voting rules.
    Each day, the players must vote to “kill” another player on the player list by posting the name of the player they wish to kill in bold red. The player who has the most votes at the end of the day will be eliminated from the game.

We have always been at war with Eurasia!

SaberOverEasy on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Double plus ungood.

• Options
    Speaking of which, Premium has been awfully quiet so far.

I'd like to see what sort of contribution he would like to make to our patriotic effort.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Bedlam - Like three posts. One vote. Maybe mafia trying to lay low? Need more out of Bedlam!
    JZzYnU2.gif