As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Art Tech Thread [Wacom/Yiynova, Computer builds, Software] Post your set up!

• ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Alright, finally got around to trying a few things you mentioned - looks like I did start off this tablet with a fresh install after uninstalling my old wacom drivers. I checked the windows pen settings and turned them ALL off. Since none of them seemed relevant aka "Suggest apps for pen." - Is that actually useful for people?

Anyways, after turning those off, I don't seem to be getting any lagging between actions now! Thanks a bunch for the help :D

Prospicience on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Nice! glad to hear it. Yeah those settings are awful, they should shut them down if you plug in a tablet.

• templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Dang, I somehow got unsubscribed from this thread.

@GrieforGlory I know I'm late, but in case it helps you or anyone else:
    I'm happy with my standing desk situation! I got the following.
    Edit: The strength on the arm is plenty for max pressure on the stylus. Sometimes I'll grab the monitor from underneath, in the same feeling as I might when holding a piece of paper to a desk, and that's enough to really go HAM on scribbling or whatever.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
    Also, does anyone know about stylus charging cables? I think I lost my PN02 cable in rearranging the house.

I see that the Huion cable looks nearly identical, but I can't find any electrical rating information for either XP-PEN or Huion products.

I dont know anything about that product family, I'm surprised the pen doesn't have a AAAA battery like most non-wacom pens. At 2 bucks, probably no harm in trying?

I had some luck just throwing my last yiynova question out to twitter, you might have some luck with the Huion owners out there.

Iruka wrote: »
    I dont know anything about that product family, I'm surprised the pen doesn't have a AAAA battery like most non-wacom pens. At 2 bucks, probably no harm in trying?

I had some luck just throwing my last yiynova question out to twitter, you might have some luck with the Huion owners out there.

Huh! I never considered disassembling it. I just assumed it would be a soldered in lithium battery.

Maybe I'll take it to Twitter. Thanks!

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I got an ipad pro!

Right now i'm just messing with photoshop sketch and illustrator whateveritscalled.

Is procreate worth the $10, should I get something else instead?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    I too just got an iPad pro! I will try to do a write up, but I'm currently using clip paint, which requires alot more money, so depends on your needs. Procreat is nice, but you'll need to get used to its largely gesture and touch based UI.

I too just got an iPad pro! I will try to do a write up, but I'm currently using clip paint, which requires alot more money, so depends on your needs. Procreat is nice, but you'll need to get used to its largely gesture and touch based UI.

Clip Studio Paint? Is that a separate license from the desktop version?

Yeah I'm trying to figure out the best solution as I'm already paying for Adobe CC, I'm mostly mad they haven't put out a proper photoshop/illustrator like app.

templewulf wrote: »

Unfortunately, yes, as far as I can tell. Its monthly for this, because fuck me.

It is literally just the desktop version, with a few mobile/touch oriented tricks up its sleeve.

Unfortunately, yes, as far as I can tell. Its monthly for this, because fuck me.

It is literally just the desktop version, with a few mobile/touch oriented tricks up its sleeve.

:-\

One of the reasons I was excited about Clip was that it was a reasonable price for a one time purchase.

Oh well, I still like the desktop version!

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    As yet another new iPad + Pencil owner, I highly recommend a matte screen protector if you don’t mind a fair bit of grain. I got this one, I think.

I personally have been quite happy with the trade off, because it feels so, so much nicer to me.

I’ve also been using Autodesk’s Sketchbook, but have heard a lot about this Procreate. I’m pretty sure Autodesk has everything I need for the moment, but it very, very occasionally struggles a bit. Does Procreate run consistently?

Adobe might be planning a full release of PS for the Ipad, according to engadget here, so that might be something to look forward to if none of these options suit you quite yet. I dont know how sure it is, and how well it will run though.

Procreate is well worth the $10 just to figure out if it's right for you or not.

• WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    i hope it is appropriate that i ask here. i've started looking at some options from xp-pen. mostly the super cheap and small ones as i don't really know what i'm looking for just yet. is it common that these devices normally ask you to disable antivirus to install them? that's...a big red flag to me

Whats your antivirus?

I dont have experience with xp-pen, but I know they are relatively popular devices. If you are using something like norton or avast, the relevancy of that software has gone way down over time as windows native defense has gotten better. @templewulf got the 22HD last year and didnt come in here saying it melted their computer, so I'm going to guess the drivers aren't malicious.

edited January 2019
    Mine didn't ask me to do that, that's pretty weird. It was a normal driver install, AFAIK.

Mine also has a habit of not starting its drivers, so I had to take some extra steps: https://www.xp-pen.com/ask/detail/id/203/channel/66.html

Edit: If you consider the difference in price from a Cintiq or whatever, the time I spent figuring out the drivers is a bargain.

templewulf on
    the device hasn't yet mostly because i haven't connected it lol. i'm currently using bit defender but i opened the install manual/quick start guide and step #3 is literally "disable any antivirus". the reason seems to be something with the pen and drivers but it just seemed so weird to request that

i doubt it is prepackaged with anything malicious but like i said it was just a big moment of WTF when i saw that

the device hasn't yet mostly because i haven't connected it lol. i'm currently using bit defender but i opened the install manual/quick start guide and step #3 is literally "disable any antivirus". the reason seems to be something with the pen and drivers but it just seemed so weird to request that

i doubt it is prepackaged with anything malicious but like i said it was just a big moment of WTF when i saw that

I'm running Windows defender and MalwareBytes, and I didn't disable anything when I installed.

Though now I wonder if that has to do with my driver problems!

edited January 2019

I'm running Windows defender and MalwareBytes, and I didn't disable anything when I installed.

it could be. what was the symptom? the pen just didn't work? i'm assuming that's what you mean when you said the drivers didn't start. this was one of the KB entries i looked at when i was trying to figure out why the instructions in the box said to do it

https://www.xp-pen.com/ask/detail/id/212/channel/66.html

edit: i went with the xp-pen star g430s which is super tiny but also only $20 because like i said earlier i just kinda wanted to try it out. my wife had a wacom device years ago that i got get but i couldn't stand the scratchy noise it made pen to "paper". i've drawing on my surface pro 2 but it feels a little weird so i wanted to try something else like this without diving into a big investment. i'm just doodling stuff and doing minor PS edits so not real heavy stuff

WingedWeasel on
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Procreate is well worth the $10 just to figure out if it's right for you or not.

A friend of mine - who is not an Apple person by any means - splurged on an entire iPad + pencil + Procreate and has been very happy with it.

She's a pro artist, went to school for it and everything, and now it's her primary workflow.

Compared to that, $10 isn't a big ask!

it could be. what was the symptom? the pen just didn't work? i'm assuming that's what you mean when you said the drivers didn't start. this was one of the KB entries i looked at when i was trying to figure out why the instructions in the box said to do it

https://www.xp-pen.com/ask/detail/id/212/channel/66.html

edit: i went with the xp-pen star g430s which is super tiny but also only $20 because like i said earlier i just kinda wanted to try it out. my wife had a wacom device years ago that i got get but i couldn't stand the scratchy noise it made pen to "paper". i've drawing on my surface pro 2 but it feels a little weird so i wanted to try something else like this without diving into a big investment. i'm just doodling stuff and doing minor PS edits so not real heavy stuff

Yeah, when the drivers don't start on their own, the tablet doesn't respond to pen input. It still works fine as a monitor, though.

The Star series is in a different driver family, so hopefully you won't encounter those issues anyway.

My experience with the Artist 22HD has been very positive (when the drivers are up). It doesn't have tilt or twist, but the pressure response feels great in both Krita and Clip Studio Paint.

i'll keep that one in mind, thanks! i think i've seen it mentioned in some other places as well being strong. i'm kinda leery of xp-pen at this stage due to the weirdness with this one, but even aside from that i think it's outside my spend range at the moment

i'll keep that one in mind, thanks! i think i've seen it mentioned in some other places as well being strong. i'm kinda leery of xp-pen at this stage due to the weirdness with this one, but even aside from that i think it's outside my spend range at the moment

Oh man, I was really lucky to get it when I did. I was in the market for a new monitor anyway, and XP Pen released a newer model, so they put the Artist 22HD on a big sale.

I had a $200 budget for a monitor anyway, so it was a smaller stretch on my tablet budget when adding them together.

the next most reasonable things price wish that i've seen are the wacom intuous and some huion products but part of my goal was to not get the "scratchy" feeling/noise when drawing. i actually have problems using mechanical pencils or sometimes regular pencil and paper because it's like nails on a chalkboard for me a lot of the time. are most of these things the same sort of physical surface?

• diduandiduan Registered User new member
    edited March 2019
    Hello, I have been looking around for a good drawing tablet that wont break the bank. I have used a wacom intuos draw before and liked it but would really like a screen to draw on. I do a lot of vector work and but also enjoy drawing on photoshop.

Wacom Cintiq Screen Tablets are too expensive for me, so I was looking at the other brands alternative , After all the research I have come to xp-pen artist 15.6 pro ( https://www.xp-pen.com/product/65.html ) drawing tablet with screen that I have heard good things about. I want to stay under the $500 range.

If you can recommend something different or share your experience with artist 15.6 pro , it would help out tremendously.

Thank you in advanced.

diduan on
    Hey @diduan Moved your comment to this thread. Theres some xp-pen advice above that is worth reading through. I dont have experience with it myself.

Also moved this thread back to the AC for better visibility.

@diduan I'm using the XP-Pen Artist 22HD, but it should be pretty similar. The main difference is that the 22HD has holes for VESA mounts, so I could put it on a monitor arm and position it wherever. From what I can tell on Amazon, the 15.6 doesn't have VESA or any other screw holes.

We discussed it a bit above, but feel free to hit me up with questions.

• DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    I'm abit late to the party I'm sure but I will throw in that I bought an iPad Pro (2017 10.5") + Apple Pencil specifically FOR Procreate. I just love how it's specifically designed for a tablet like this. Drawing directly on the screen is fantastic and I love that I can take it anywhere. If that stuff is what you are looking for, I'd say go for it. I absolutely love mine and it's basically all I use now.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    I'm abit late to the party I'm sure but I will throw in that I bought an iPad Pro (2017 10.5") + Apple Pencil specifically FOR Procreate. I just love how it's specifically designed for a tablet like this. Drawing directly on the screen is fantastic and I love that I can take it anywhere. If that stuff is what you are looking for, I'd say go for it. I absolutely love mine and it's basically all I use now.

Just assume for a moment that I know nothing about Apple products. Hypothetically. How did you pick out the right tablet model? Does the pro offer anything for artists over a non-pro?

Just assume for a moment that I know nothing about Apple products. Hypothetically. How did you pick out the right tablet model? Does the pro offer anything for artists over a non-pro?

It depends on how you want to use the thing and how serious you are about it IMO. The pro definitely has a few things specific to artists that you will love, I'll outline what I know below:

For the 2017 model:
    Pro Motion Display - Dynamically changes the refresh rate up to like 120hz and makes the Apple Pencil super smooth. (I feel like this is the big one here.)
    Wide Color P3 True Tone Display - Apparently less reflective and can display a wider color gamut. (Color accuracy is important, and this is really accurate from what I have read about it.)
    Laminated display - They bond the display to the glass so there is minimal distance between the pixels and the stylus. Even with a screen protector on it, it feels super close to me. (Very nice to have, but not a gotta.)
    A10X chip - It's damn fast.

The new 2018 has a faster chip and support for the new pencil 2, the main thing being it charges by just magnetically clicking to the side of the device instead of using a lightning port. However I also saw the new 2018 Pros shipping with bends out of the box and reports of them being fragile, but hopefully that has been taken care of. I'd look into that before deciding to buy though.

As to which model, my thoughts are: if you are just wanting a light digital sketching tool along with other tablet stuff, go with the regular model 2018. For the price you really get alot and the pencil still performs well on it. If you are serious about art and want a top quality tool for digital painting etc, the pro is the one to go with. Size depends on personal preference and budget. For me I went with the smaller one partly because it was cheaper, but also it kind of has a "clip board" feel with the size of it that I like. The larger one likely has more of a portable studio feel so if you'd like that and have the extra money I'm sure it would be nice to have.

I'd recommend also a good case and a screen protector. They say the pencil can't scratch it but I ain't chancing it!

It depends on how you want to use the thing and how serious you are about it IMO. The pro definitely has a few things specific to artists that you will love, I'll outline what I know below:

For the 2017 model:
    Pro Motion Display - Dynamically changes the refresh rate up to like 120hz and makes the Apple Pencil super smooth. (I feel like this is the big one here.)
    Wide Color P3 True Tone Display - Apparently less reflective and can display a wider color gamut. (Color accuracy is important, and this is really accurate from what I have read about it.)
    Laminated display - They bond the display to the glass so there is minimal distance between the pixels and the stylus. Even with a screen protector on it, it feels super close to me. (Very nice to have, but not a gotta.)
    A10X chip - It's damn fast.

The new 2018 has a faster chip and support for the new pencil 2, the main thing being it charges by just magnetically clicking to the side of the device instead of using a lightning port. However I also saw the new 2018 Pros shipping with bends out of the box and reports of them being fragile, but hopefully that has been taken care of. I'd look into that before deciding to buy though.

As to which model, my thoughts are: if you are just wanting a light digital sketching tool along with other tablet stuff, go with the regular model 2018. For the price you really get alot and the pencil still performs well on it. If you are serious about art and want a top quality tool for digital painting etc, the pro is the one to go with. Size depends on personal preference and budget. For me I went with the smaller one partly because it was cheaper, but also it kind of has a "clip board" feel with the size of it that I like. The larger one likely has more of a portable studio feel so if you'd like that and have the extra money I'm sure it would be nice to have.

I'd recommend also a good case and a screen protector. They say the pencil can't scratch it but I ain't chancing it!

Wow, that was way more informative than the Apple website. Thank you!

I'm fine taking a smaller tablet as long as I can pinch zoom and rotate the canvas easily enough.

Do you have a case and screen protector you like? Is that keyboard cover a good enough case?

I also use Windows on my dev machine, and I don't see that changing in the near future. Is there anything I should know about bringing an iOS device into a Windows ecosystem?

edited April 2019
    I'm not an Apple nut either actually - I have an android phone and use a PC. The cool thing is that you can integrate an iPad into that super easy IMO.

To share files I just use google drive or drop box, drag and drop simple. My favorite art app is Procreate and you can even import psd files with it, so going back and forth between it and PS is possible - though certain things don't carry over, I forget which. Procreate however can save off as a bunch of different stuff, same for Autodesk's Sketchbook which is great too. I really like the pencil in that one, for some reason it feels better than any other digital pencil tool I've tried. It also has this sketch-scan feature that lets you photograph line art and then auto separates it from the background. Both of these have great gesture based interfaces. Another that might be handy is Concepts, a vector based drawing app.

The case I like the most actually doesn't have a pencil holder, but I use one of these and put it and other related stuff in a small bag like this one. I like a glass screen protector, and I use this brand (they also make a nice one for the Switch too). However there are some other cases that have a pencil slot built in, or if you want a keyboard then that is a good option too. A handy thing too is one of those little 3" lightning cables that is male on one end female on the other (both lightning) so you don't have to stick the pencil directly into the iPad.

DarkMecha on
    I'm not an Apple nut either actually - I have an android phone and use a PC. The cool thing is that you can integrate an iPad into that super easy IMO.

To share files I just use google drive or drop box, drag and drop simple. My favorite art app is Procreate and you can even import psd files with it, so going back and forth between it and PS is possible - though certain things don't carry over, I forget which. Procreate however can save off as a bunch of different stuff, same for Autodesk's Sketchbook which is great too. I really like the pencil in that one, for some reason it feels better than any other digital pencil tool I've tried. It also has this sketch-scan feature that lets you photograph line art and then auto separates it from the background. Both of these have great gesture based interfaces. Another that might be handy is Concepts, a vector based drawing app.

The case I like the most actually doesn't have a pencil holder, but I use one of these and put it and other related stuff in a small bag like this one. I like a glass screen protector, and I use this brand (they also make a nice one for the Switch too). However there are some other cases that have a pencil slot built in, or if you want a keyboard then that is a good option too. A handy thing too is one of those little 3" lightning cables that is male on one end female on the other (both lightning) so you don't have to stick the pencil directly into the iPad.

I appreciate those recommendations, not least because I was actually just worrying about my Switch!

Thanks again. I'm considering this seriously enough that I'm researching what file formats Procreate has in common with CSP.

You can just use a full version of CSP on your ipad, though they have a subscription for it, just fyi. Clip also saves out to PSDs, so there's that. I find clip can be sort of touchy about importing them, though.

Only thing that its been occasionally nice to have a macbook for with my Ipad is airdrop, which helps if dropbox is being a jerk about a particular or larger file.

I have This case and This pencil case, its not the most attractive, but the little cap on the apple pencil is so loose and begging to get lost in a bag, so the zipper case makes me feel better. The elastic also fits around the back flap of the case perfectly, keeping them together. If you travel and plan to travel with it, I suggest a zipper to keep that pen safe, its an expensive little thing.

• shanchushanchu Registered User new member
    edited May 2019
    I recommend Krita, especially since he's into comics. Free, easy to use little piece of software with a variety of realistic brushes.

I bought a XP-Pen Artist 22E Pro Pen display drawing tablet last year and it has been a joy to use. it features of 21.5" IPS Monitor , 1920 x 1080 (16:9) FHD resolution , 78% Adobe RGB color gamut . 8192 levels of pressure senstivity . I am a professional artist, and this lets me work much more efficiently. Even better, its fun to use.

I held off for nearly a decade on upgrading to a display tablet due to the massive cost of Wacom's Cintiq display tablet. The XP-Pen display tablet is actually the same or cheaper than Wacom's non-display Intuos Pro, while this tablet's quality is absolutely comparable. This tablet is even inexpensive enough for art students, without a noticeable drop in quality.

This tablet has been great! I've had it for a while and have not been disappointed. I’m a 3D modeler and this has been working great for my needs! I love its use in Zbrush. It's pressure sensitivity is fantastic and I like that the tablet only registers the pen. It does not register your touch.

After having tested this Artist 22E Pro drawing tablet monitor , I would recommend it to anyone with one exception.

shanchu on
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Hey tech thread, can ya give me some advice?

I'm considering an iPad Pro (possibly used, since the new model came out and the older ones might be available cheap-ish) for more convenient digital sketching.

Those of you who have one, what do you think? do you enjoy it? Good drawing experience? I'm generally a PC person, but the reviews I've seen seem to gravitate toward the iPad for portable drawing.

I'm looking for something with a high ease-of-use factor, like for picking up and doing a few sketches on the couch while watching a dumb youtube video. Of course nothing beats an actual physical sketchpad for that, but my ultimate art goals revolve around digital painting, using layers, and possibly doing short animations.

I'm most accustomed to Clip Studio Paint, so if anyone's used the iPad version, would you let me know if you think it's a good port?

Clip paint on the ipad is just the full version of clip paint. Its great, but I highly recommend getting something for hotkeys. At first I got a bluetooth keyboard, but I wanted more flexibility on how I could sit with the ipad, so I got a little bluetooth controller:

The set up is finicky, but I found a mapping that works for me.

Somethings to factor in:
    - Clip paint on the ipad is a monthly subscription
    - Getting files off the ipad if you don't have a mac to air drop is annoying. I use dropbox (another subscription). Dropbox occasionally fails with the larger files, and I use air drop for that.
    - The pencil is very thin, and caused me a ton of strain. You might want to look into foam or gel pencil rests to put on it.

Almost all my recent work has been on the ipad, so its performing pretty well and it seems like it was work the investment.

Clip paint on the ipad is just the full version of clip paint. Its great, but I highly recommend getting something for hotkeys. At first I got a bluetooth keyboard, but I wanted more flexibility on how I could sit with the ipad, so I got a little bluetooth controller:

The set up is finicky, but I found a mapping that works for me.

Somethings to factor in:
    - Clip paint on the ipad is a monthly subscription
    - Getting files off the ipad if you don't have a mac to air drop is annoying. I use dropbox (another subscription). Dropbox occasionally fails with the larger files, and I use air drop for that.
    - The pencil is very thin, and caused me a ton of strain. You might want to look into foam or gel pencil rests to put on it.

Almost all my recent work has been on the ipad, so its performing pretty well and it seems like it was work the investment.

I was wondering what absolute gremlin would use the tiny 8bitdo for gaming, but this is amazing!