As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Jobs] There has been a 90% decline in avatar reconstruction surgeries

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Yep, welcome to the shit ditch of front line management, where you have to take all of management and employees shit while selling the company line. One thing I definitely don't miss about managing

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Hey job thread.
    Over the past few weeks, we've been trying to find an agent who was willing to move their shift by 3 hours to provide coverage over a different time slot. All the potentials said no. Ultimately, we had to choose somebody and require them to move shifts, since we couldn't find any willing folks. My brother-in-law was one of those unwilling, because he and my sister only have one reliable car and can't afford to change that fact right now, so they've been carpooling.

Today, I had to tell him (since my manager is out of town) that he drew the short straw and was being moved to the new shift. He said that, even having drawn the short straw, he still genuinely could not do it, and turned in his notice. Which felt a lot like I just fired my brother-in-law. So that sucked.

Shortly after, my manager e-mails all the supervisors saying he's considering firing my BiL before his notice is up, because anyone who would resign over a 3-hour shift change clearly "isn't committed to the job anyway". I spent all afternoon arguing with him over e-mail, explaining to him exactly what a dumb idea it was for a variety of reasons, before he decided not to fire my BiL. So that was rough.

Immediately after I got the e-mail that he wasn't going to fire the guy, my sister messaged me on Facebook, livid because she felt like I wasn't sufficiently compassionate when I talked to him. After I just spent 3 hours arguing so heatedly that I was putting my own job on the line to get him one more week's worth of pay.

Being a supervisor is fun.

So instead of keeping a trained, I assume competent to high quality, employee and hiring a new employee for the coverage... Your company now lost a trained employee and still has to make a new hire?

Plus you found out your manager is one of those shit heel short sighted "THIS MEANS THEY DON'T NEED THE JOB, RIGHT?" managers.

kramer-gif-10.gif

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Jeez, I hope your sister was able to understand. That's a rotten situation to be in.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Hey job thread.
    Over the past few weeks, we've been trying to find an agent who was willing to move their shift by 3 hours to provide coverage over a different time slot. All the potentials said no. Ultimately, we had to choose somebody and require them to move shifts, since we couldn't find any willing folks. My brother-in-law was one of those unwilling, because he and my sister only have one reliable car and can't afford to change that fact right now, so they've been carpooling.

Today, I had to tell him (since my manager is out of town) that he drew the short straw and was being moved to the new shift. He said that, even having drawn the short straw, he still genuinely could not do it, and turned in his notice. Which felt a lot like I just fired my brother-in-law. So that sucked.

Shortly after, my manager e-mails all the supervisors saying he's considering firing my BiL before his notice is up, because anyone who would resign over a 3-hour shift change clearly "isn't committed to the job anyway". I spent all afternoon arguing with him over e-mail, explaining to him exactly what a dumb idea it was for a variety of reasons, before he decided not to fire my BiL. So that was rough.

Immediately after I got the e-mail that he wasn't going to fire the guy, my sister messaged me on Facebook, livid because she felt like I wasn't sufficiently compassionate when I talked to him. After I just spent 3 hours arguing so heatedly that I was putting my own job on the line to get him one more week's worth of pay.

So instead of keeping a trained, I assume competent to high quality, employee and hiring a new employee for the coverage... Your company now lost a trained employee and still has to make a new hire?

Plus you found out your manager is one of those shit heel short sighted "THIS MEANS THEY DON'T NEED THE JOB, RIGHT?" managers.

kramer-gif-10.gif

Basically! In fairness, getting an employee to the point where they'd be able to take that shift is a 4 or 5 months-long training process, and they were making the change so that we could afford to shuffle somebody else with more tenure out of the shift because he didn't want it anymore.

Of course, that months-long training process is exactly what we're throwing away by pushing him to walk away, so...yeah I basically told my boss he's a dumbass.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Hm, if the guy fired your Bro-in-law that'd entitle him to unemployment straight up.

Technically, though, he's most likely still entitled to unemployment because it's considered "constructive dismissal" and in most states you still qualify if they start fucking with your hours and shit. In most cases it's usually breaching a contract agreement, but if you're availability is such that they change it on you moving it outside of your known availability that still counts in a lot of areas.

So tell him to apply.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    So didn't get to move on in the Sr position in my team. Was going over my results with my supervisor and basically......almost everyone did. They wrote the job description wrong and didn't add "or equivalent" which turned the screening/bar to move on, SUPER precise.

Only 2 people moved on (out of 20). and they still have to test and interview those last 2 people. The way it was sounding my supervisor was saying "*wink* if *wink* I can't find someone *wink* and *wink* if *wink* the position gets reposted, I should do the following changes to do better."

Just hate having to play the game.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Hey job thread.

kramer-gif-10.gif

I have been told that 3 times when they handed the job to someone else and yet I am still here
    I will yet again this weekend fake it as support and see if they give it to me this time

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Couple of days ago I was the middle supervisor who had to pick up the management tab because they were off

System was down (all day, fucking disaster), I sent them home at 4 because they said they'd come in early and work late tomorrow to make it up and it was pointless them being in. Obvs system is back on 15m afterwards... but then the next day I'm asked "why did you send them home, system came back on at 4:15..." Etc etc

I mean, the IT cascade that it was working came at 8:49am the next day, and I worked late myself, and came in early, yadda yadda yadda, but thanks, really appreciate the support. Pricks. Which I said and got an apology for but still! Don't want an apology! Want to not be spoken to like that in the first place!

Solar on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Some level of programming should be a core competency in college. At least some basic logic should be, even if you never actually get into programming.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Some level of programming should be a core competency in college. At least some basic logic should be, even if you never actually get into programming.

It was at a junior high I went to I felt it was a regression to be told no we don't teach programing in high school here when I moved the next year to a new city

• Options

Why though? If it's not actually relevant to what you do, it's just a distraction from your other important studies, which are supposed to be your focus

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Viewing trades as a job where you don't take work home with you just because you're not getting emailed by some sysdev middle manager type is a fantasy. Trade work, you're often tied to the job site until you reach a certain milestone where things are stable/safe enough (in a shit isn't going to blow up literally sense) to leave and come back rested, or you get relieved by a fresh crew.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Work-related... tangentially. Tagged because it's more of a rant anyway.
    I take the bus/walk to work. It's split relatively evenly between the two, and my job is physical labor-related. So I have a cooler bag that take with me. It didn't have a shoulder strap, so I bought one on Amazon a few months ago. A month into it, the strap broke. It's fine, the thing was cheap, whatever. Noted the price and the length it worked to a review of the product, and rated it accordingly. Company immediately sent out a replacement (without telling me it was being shipped?) and it has worked fine, and hasn't broken. This was all about two months ago.

The company is still e-mailing me (about once a week) to give them a 5-star review (mine's a 3) on the product because "we're a responsible seller and bad feedback sets us back". And I also can't leave feedback about the company itself for some reason, so... RIP my inbox, I guess.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Solar wrote: »

Why though? If it's not actually relevant to what you do, it's just a distraction from your other important studies, which are supposed to be your focus

Logic is necessary for everything. Not just for every profession but it’s necessary for coexisting intelligently and peacefully with each other, which is something that seems to be significantly lacking nowadays.

Regardless of the social commentary, having worked in a corporate office setting for 15+ years now, it amazes me how some people fresh out of college still cannot employ some very basic logical problem solving, which is what early-level programming courses are all about. But again it doesn’t necessarily need to be “coding” but more about teaching people how to assess and approach situations logically. That’s not addressed in other core competencies and I feel it dovetails into anything and everything anyone does during and after college.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Also a “core competency” is just that - core competency. Health doesn’t directly relate to a computer science degree, but it was a required core course when I was in college.

I also think proper elevator etiquette should be a core competency.

And walking in a crowd.

Drez on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Viewing trades as a job where you don't take work home with you just because you're not getting emailed by some sysdev middle manager type is a fantasy. Trade work, you're often tied to the job site until you reach a certain milestone where things are stable/safe enough (in a shit isn't going to blow up literally sense) to leave and come back rested, or you get relieved by a fresh crew.

That’s the point though, you even said it “tied to the job site.” There exists a clear demarcation between work areas and non work areas in my life as a construction worker. I work when I am at the job site, I don’t work when I am at home. I like this clean division, I like this compartmentalization. Even if I work overtime this split is true.

When I taught everywhere was my work. I did lesson planning when I was at home. I’d go out to do lesson planning. I’d drive around town off work to buy supplies. I’d research, print, cut, build etc off work. At any hour of day no matter where I was I was expected to receive, read and promptly respond to emails from parents or staff. Everywhere was work all the time and it made me miserable.

For me there is a huge psychological difference.

• Options
    I’m in trouble. I fell asleep around 10:30, woke up at 2, and haven’t been able to get back to sleep. It’s 5 now. I have a 2.5 hour meeting at 9:30 that I’m not even prepared for, and then another major one at 2 (only an hour but still).

I...am very worried I am going to fall flat asleep later.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    The scene I find shocking is how many people on the job cannot figure out that with a little effort you can turn a 90% failure scenario into a 50% failure scenario. And because of that work you have 40% more success then if you just accepted that happening at the beginning.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Being a programmer probably doesn't inherently make you remotely better at solving non-programming related problems, any more than being a history grad or an aerospace engineer does. Although if there is a perception that it does amongst programmers, that potentially might be a disadvantage if they're then less likely to listen to people who haven't got the same skillset as them

Yes, the ability to solve problems logically is useful, but that's doesn't mean that programming is something people should always be taught. It means people should be taught problem solving, which is then even more useful to programmers.

Although I am, admittedly, biased against all IT departments and those who work in them :razz:

Solar on
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    In other news my work diversity awareness training following a two minute end of module association test has just informed me I can rest safe knowing I don't unconsciously have any bias against women, amomgst a sainted 25% of people who take the test.

Do I get a medal?

Solar on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Being a programmer probably doesn't inherently make you remotely better at solving non-programming related problems, any more than being a history grad or an aerospace engineer does. Although if there is a perception that it does amongst programmers, that potentially might be a disadvantage if they're then less likely to listen to people who haven't got the same skillset as them

Yes, the ability to solve problems logically is useful, but that's doesn't mean that programming is something people should always be taught. It means people should be taught problem solving, which is then even more useful to programmers.

Although I am, admittedly, biased against all IT departments and those who work in them :razz:

I think stuff like that pops up in other fields, too. Like my teaxhers in ancient greek told us that working with original texts would help us everywhere because of the logical aproach to things that translating and interpreting supposedly tought us.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Interview one went well. Trying not to get my hopes up. On to interview two.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Logic is necessary for everything. Not just for every profession but it’s necessary for coexisting intelligently and peacefully with each other, which is something that seems to be significantly lacking nowadays.

Regardless of the social commentary, having worked in a corporate office setting for 15+ years now, it amazes me how some people fresh out of college still cannot employ some very basic logical problem solving, which is what early-level programming courses are all about. But again it doesn’t necessarily need to be “coding” but more about teaching people how to assess and approach situations logically. That’s not addressed in other core competencies and I feel it dovetails into anything and everything anyone does during and after college.

Then people should be taught formal logic, not "to code" (which rarely teaches formal logic until you start getting into the more esoteric parts.) The push for "everybody should be taught to code" is actually really unhealthy for us as a society, because it's a message that undervalues a number of other skills in favor of one skillset that really isn't as applicable as people think.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I did not receive a promotion last night at work and I am pretty torn up about it. I really thought I had it. Now I am stuck in this job that gives me anxiety nightmares while wrecking my body. I hate my job so much. Going to start drinking until I feel better. Maybe play some video games as well.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options

Then people should be taught formal logic, not "to code" (which rarely teaches formal logic until you start getting into the more esoteric parts.) The push for "everybody should be taught to code" is actually really unhealthy for us as a society, because it's a message that undervalues a number of other skills in favor of one skillset that really isn't as applicable as people think.

I mean we teach algebra which is pretty abstract away from "every day math". One of the topics that a lot of places skip is logic proofs, yet they'll spend time on geometric proofs instead (which are sorta kinda similar).

It would be swell if we did at least teach how computers worked, though, because it's sorely needed now that we're into the reliability phase of computers that they just plug in and work. Simple logic (and/or/not) and loops would be fine from a programming standpoint for most people to get it. Hell it can be part of an algebra class since it plays very heavily off algebra to begin with.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Yeah, the idea "you can't bring it home with you" is just a bit correct but missed the obvious follow up which is "so you can't go home." It isn't uncommon for trades to routinely work more than 40 hours a week as a matter of course. Where the snow flies it isn't uncommon for construction trades to work 50 or 60 hours during the summer and then get zero'd out through the winter.

Also the idea that trades means you don't worry about deadlines....that is not reflected anywhere in my experience. Like the exact opposite.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options

Yeah, the idea "you can't bring it home with you" is just a bit correct but missed the obvious follow up which is "so you can't go home." It isn't uncommon for trades to routinely work more than 40 hours a week as a matter of course. Where the snow flies it isn't uncommon for construction trades to work 50 or 60 hours during the summer and then get zero'd out through the winter.

Also the idea that trades means you don't worry about deadlines....that is not reflected anywhere in my experience. Like the exact opposite.

In the trades, you are paid by the hour though, instead of them trying to hurry and make you salary based so they stop having to pay you for OT.

And also a bulk of them are seasonal jobs.

I'd much rather get paid for 50 hours than for 40 even though I'm still probably working 45+.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

In the trades, you are paid by the hour though, instead of them trying to hurry and make you salary based so they stop having to pay you for OT.

And also a bulk of them are seasonal jobs.

I'd much rather get paid for 50 hours than for 40 even though I'm still probably working 45+.

Oh, one thing you absolutely get in the trades in paid. With the demand for skilled labor the quickest way for an employer to get in trouble is to touch their paychecks.

It's the building trades that are usually really seasonal. Other stuff like metalworking and welding can be a bit variable but downturns don't tend to last as long even if they're not as predictable. Also zero hours are less common there because it just isn't as acceptable as it is in construction.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The idea that tradesmen who get paid by the hour stretch jobs out is laughable. Because there's always someone in your ear about getting on to the next job, what's taking so long, hurry up or we'll fire you.

And for people who work for themselves like I do now, the longer you take, the less you get paid. Nobody calls back the bloke who charged them 5 hours for a job the next bloke did in 2.

• Options
    Unless, of course, the 2 hour job is garbage.

• Options
    It’s not common, but working construction I have been asked to spend whole days doing nothing and getting paid for it. Typically the result of too many teams on site and one team needing to monopolize the space for some reason that day.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The thing with trades is if you don't do the job right the first time, you have to go back and fix it free, or the client gets really upset and contacts your trade's regulatory body and makes a complaint, or just sues you.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Didn't get that job, boo. Reason given was 'concerned by gaps in my cv' which, okay, I guess I'll make up some lies to fill those in? :rotate:

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Also didn’t consider the seasonality of some trades in a lot of areas, in California construction is year round.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Last year a bunch of people complained that I was getting a whole bunch of hours they could not get, this was because my shift typically gets Alarms from Client whose properties can range from a single building running the length of an entire city Block to as many as 15 smaller buildings. I don't know which one I'm going to go to until I get the alarm.

Seems simple right?

So in response to this my shift was broken up given out to people so that everyone could share in this joy and reap the paychecks. Then many people complained it was too hard and so it was subdivided again.

Once again due to more complaining and people calling out once again the shift was reorganized and is pretty much back the way it was last year.

So I'm pulling 5 ten's, which may turn to 12 depending on alarms. But I've done these alarm so many times the only problem is if it's going to be a serious crisis. I have a flashlight and I have good shoes. So it's no big deal for me, but it is frustrating that all These people wanted the money I was getting, but were unwilling to do the work I was putting in to get it.

I got that money I standing there talking to the cops explaining how I found this facility broken into, and then I rushed around to try make up what I Missed while talking to the police. I get authorized for 12 hours and left to my own accord because my bosses know I'll make our clients happy with those 12 hours, and make our company money.

/rant

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    People jealous of what you have but not wanting to do anything to get it?

Well, I never!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    re: the coding discussion (YES I'M LATE SHUT UP), I agree that teaching everyone "to code" is probably silly but having everyone take an intro to programming class in college would be a great idea. I had to do a semester for my undergrad and that course was the single best education in problem solving that I had while I was at college. It's very good at teaching you to think stuff through.

There are probably other courses that can do the same thing, but intro programming seems to lend itself well to being a vehicle for that.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Also didn’t consider the seasonality of some trades in a lot of areas, in California construction is year round.

Yep. In MN the joke is we have two seasons. Winter and road construction.

Nobody is going to be doing construction when snow is piling up (though electrical and plumbing can still get run I expect as its out of the elements)

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    As far as coding being a college class.. Maybe my perspective is different, because I went to a Jesuit University which had an enormous number of required classes. But colleges already require so many different classes of students, and a basic computer one with intro to programming is probably more useful than most of what they already require.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2018
    I guess the us/rest of world divide on this one is that in a lot of places University is not seen as a place to teach 'core competencies' because not everyone goes to uni by a long shot. We also don't do the general Ed/liberal arts thing, you go straight into a very focused course of study from day one, generally.
    There are strong arguments for the US model but I think if something is truly important across the board it should be addressed prior to college.

My personal stance is that Bertrand Russell should be taught in middle school and then we can go from there.

tynic on
This discussion has been closed.