As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Resolved

Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
edited June 2018 in Help / Advice Forum
About 4 months ago I went on a date with a woman that I thought went very well. We had a good time together and she said she wanted to see me again. I hoped this was the start of something special.

Well, we've been texting every day since then, and she's told me she likes me and sends photos often, but we've barely seen each other in person. Maybe about eight times total, and half of those for only two or three hours. She lives forty minutes away, she's often busy with either work or looking after her brother's kids, and she lives with her parents (and seems almost cold towards me when I've been around them). She doesn't go to the movies because being in a theater provokes her anxiety, and she sometimes has depressive episodes where she doesn't want to do anything. I can't even talk to her on the phone often because she has very bad reception at her house. I've offered to come to her place and take her out around where she lives, meet her halfway, and even pick her up at her place, bring her to my place, and take her back later. I try to compare schedules with her, but she isn't cooperating and never tells me when she's free. I'd assume she doesn't really like me, but she just sent me an unsolicited good night message while I was typing this.

I don't want to break up with someone over mental health issues they can't control, especially when I myself had a number of severe anxiety episodes last year and was disappointed by the lack of support I received, but I would like for us to at least be able to spend enough time together to see if we're right for each other. Honestly I think if it weren't for my fear that she might harm herself I'd have already broken up with her. I want to give it a chance, but I also don't want to drag this out if we're not even going to see each other in person enough to know if we could ever develop feelings for one another.

Friends, family, and co-workers keep asking me what my girlfriend and I have been up to, if I'm going to visit her on my days off, etc. My mother asked me today if I thought my girlfriend even liked me.

Thoughts?

Hexmage-PA on

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I can sympathize with the lady in question, though I don't have exactly her health issues, I am someone who finds it difficult to "go out" for anything - it's a literal fight with myself almost every time, and every time I don't just cancel a planned thing is the result of a fight I won. I also - and the young woman seems to possibly share this trait - take a really long time to get comfortable with someone, and usually need considerable space to do so.

Where you go from here depends on a couple of things:
    - Have you asked her about how little you see each other and seen what she says about it? If you do ask her this question, remember that it can sound like an accusation even if it is not intended that way, and try to word it in a way that doesn't imply pressure on her to behave in any way that she is not comfortable with.
    - Supposing she said that things would have to continue on like this for, let's say, the next year, would that be acceptable to you?

There's also alternate ways you can see each other if you're willing... would she/her family be OK with you helping her watch her brother's kids? Would you be OK with that? What about going to her house and watching TV in her room? Some of us need to be in a very comfortable place (like our own homes/our own rooms) in order to have the energy necessary to socialize. Even if there's no one else there but you two, going to your place represents added energy she has to put into that date that she may not have available.

It's also possible that she really just isn't that in to you, which is why talking to her about it is a very good idea. But again it all depends on how you feel about the relationship and whether you actually want to put this effort in or not. I don't think there's anything wrong with breaking up with someone for the reasons you mention, if that's what you want to do; wanting to break up with someone is enough of a reason to do so, you don't have to "feel guilty" because it may involve her mental health.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    At 4 months, you can break up for any reason. Don’t drag it out - that just makes it worse.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    She might not be comfortable giving you more than she is right now for any number of possible reasons, and right now texts and pictures might just be where she is in her head at this stage. Be communicative about your feelings but don't push or give ultimatums.

It's only been a few months though. If you aren't feeling it for whatever reason, it's okay to call it now.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    While it is good to consider the health of others, you have to consider your own health first. If you have extra energy you can spare, that's great, but in many cases it's not helpful to take on that burden when you're trying to handle your own. If you're not living in compatible ways, it's going to breed bitterness and all sorts of bad emotions.

Depending on how you do relationships there are a lot of ways to ensure your well-being while still spending some time together. Exes can make amazing friends, and sometimes backing off will let people develop their feelings, especially since living with your folks can seriously mess with your freedom to relax and express yourself.

Talking is definitely good. Consider your needs and wants and share them - not as a request, or demand, but to compare with hers.

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    The first 1-2 years of a new relationship are considered the "honeymoon" period, where things that would irritate you later are more easily brushed off and both partners are generally happy with the new person, learning and experiencing things together. If 4 months in you are already feeling how are you, it should be taken as a sign that some personal reflection is warranted. Figure out what you need or want from a relationship, in general, and then ask if this one is providing it. You shouldn't expect someone to change to accommodate you, that's just a recipe for breeding resentment. Plus, it's not fair to the other person.

This isn't about them having depression or anxiety, it's about whether or not the relationship is making you happy and providing what you want from it. If you care enough about them that you still want to support them, as you suggested in your OP when you said you had a similar experience and were upset with the lack of support you received, you can do that as a friend if they are open to that.

Edit: I'm probably going to sound like a jerk, but this statement concerns me:
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Honestly I think if it weren't for my fear that she might harm herself I'd have already broken up with her.

am0n on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    in my experience if someone likes you they will stampede everything to spend time with you

my read on this is she's either being polite by maintaining texts but no other contact and using her depression as an excuse

or she has depression so extreme she should probably obtain serious professional help before entering into a relationship

my armchair opinion is either way you've got cause to move on

• Options
    JusticeJustice Registered User regular
    Run.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Unfortunately, if one of the main reasons you're in a relationship is "this person will hurt themselves if I leave", you are NOT in a good relationship. Either you're being held emotionally hostage to their mental health and you need to find a way out, or you are operating under some extremely bad mistaken assumptions of your own, and need to get out for your own reasons.
    Whichever one it is, this relationship is over already. This girl either needs a doctor who can help her stay alive (if you're right), or a boyfriend who doesn't project codependence on her (if you're wrong), and you are sadly neither of those.

spool32 on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    How sure are you that she isn't already in a relationship? That is what I see most often in these situations where the person 1. Won't tell you when they're free 2. Won't let you come over 3. Won't spend extended periods of time with you 4. Maintains the relationship on their own timetable

That's just in addition to what other people are saying re: harming herself... You can NOT stop someone from harming themselves if they wanted to, and what... are you going to just wait it out for 60 years as the only thing she has to live for?

• Options
    Yes, and...Yes, and... Registered User regular
    Considering how new the relationship is, you can pull out or pull back because it's just not working out for you. After a few months of "cooling off", it might be worth trying to see if you can strike up something more casual with this woman. If you get along with her reasonably well in general, there's no reason you should deprive yourself of some companionship from her, as long as both of you can keep things light and avoid sliding towards serious intimacy (emotional or physical).

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    How sure are you that she isn't already in a relationship? That is what I see most often in these situations where the person 1. Won't tell you when they're free 2. Won't let you come over 3. Won't spend extended periods of time with you 4. Maintains the relationship on their own timetable

At 4 months, with no serious dating going on (just texts and occasional dates)it would be very unusual for a person into online dating to be exclusive.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    About 4 months ago I went on a date with a woman that I thought went very well. We had a good time together and she said she wanted to see me again. I hoped this was the start of something special.

Well, we've been texting every day since then, and she's told me she likes me and sends photos often, but we've barely seen each other in person. Maybe about eight times total, and half of those for only two or three hours. She lives forty minutes away, she's often busy with either work or looking after her brother's kids, and she lives with her parents (and seems almost cold towards me when I've been around them). She doesn't go to the movies because being in a theater provokes her anxiety, and she sometimes has depressive episodes where she doesn't want to do anything. I can't even talk to her on the phone often because she has very bad reception at her house. I've offered to come to her place and take her out around where she lives, meet her halfway, and even pick her up at her place, bring her to my place, and take her back later. I try to compare schedules with her, but she isn't cooperating and never tells me when she's free. I'd assume she doesn't really like me, but she just sent me an unsolicited good night message while I was typing this.

I don't want to break up with someone over mental health issues they can't control, especially when I myself had a number of severe anxiety episodes last year and was disappointed by the lack of support I received, but I would like for us to at least be able to spend enough time together to see if we're right for each other. Honestly I think if it weren't for my fear that she might harm herself I'd have already broken up with her. I want to give it a chance, but I also don't want to drag this out if we're not even going to see each other in person enough to know if we could ever develop feelings for one another.

Friends, family, and co-workers keep asking me what my girlfriend and I have been up to, if I'm going to visit her on my days off, etc. My mother asked me today if I thought my girlfriend even liked me.

Thoughts?

I'd peace out. The main issue here is "Never tells me when she's free".

People get busy, but if they like each other they both make an effort to try and see each other.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, if one of the main reasons you're in a relationship is "this person will hurt themselves if I leave", you are NOT in a good relationship. Either you're being held emotionally hostage to their mental health and you need to find a way out, or you are operating under some extremely bad mistaken assumptions of your own, and need to get out for your own reasons.
    Whichever one it is, this relationship is over already. This girl either needs a doctor who can help her stay alive (if you're right), or a boyfriend who doesn't project codependence on her (if you're wrong), and you are sadly neither of those.

Seconding this. I understand wanting to help someone because you didn't get support when you needed it and you want to spare them that, but toxic relationship dynamics aside, you're not in a good position to do that for her. You barely talk; you barely know each other. If she's not comfortable even seeing you in person, then she's probably not going to be comfortable leaning on you for (healthy) support, either.

Frankly, the way you talk about her mental health re: your relationship sounds like it's more about you than about her - that is, your wanting to stay with her through her depression is a way of trying to address what happened to you. I'm not a psychologist, but I'm familiar with the impulse to help other people because I can't do anything for my younger self, and that's how it reads to me.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular

At 4 months, with no serious dating going on (just texts and occasional dates)it would be very unusual for a person into online dating to be exclusive.

I meant they have a serious long-term relationship they aren't disclosing. Lives with her parents probably means that is not the case. But not being able to talk on the phone and meeting very sporadically is usually a tip-off.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I would like for us to at least be able to spend enough time together to see if we're right for each other

You're probably not. This is how she conducts herself. You don't like it. If you've already mentioned this, and nothing changed, you have all the data you need: You don't like it.

If you want more advice for the advice throne on that aspect; have at it:

[Old alert, I've been married for some time. The sell by date is 2010]
    BACK IN MY DAY, we had to use a MOUSE and KEYBOARD to find dates! You kids and your swiping all over th-

Oh, sorry.

Rule of thumb: At four months in, if you feel like you're "trying," and you feel like they're not, odds are you're not compatible. There are caveats, maybe she's in jail, maybe she's seeing someone else, but if it's not working for you, it's not working for you.

If that happens, bring it up, say you'd like to see more them. If they care, they will, or if they can't due to external factors, they will disclose. If those factors or their level of interest doesn't work for you, then you're bad fit.

If it works out, you'll have your whole life to crawl over broken glass to make them smile. For now, be a little selfish. Worry if she works for you, and she will worrying if you work for her. If you both concur, then turn your exclusivity keys and go from there.

Much more importantly:
    I don't want to break up with someone over mental health issues they can't control, especially when I myself had a number of severe anxiety episodes last year and was disappointed by the lack of support I received,

Spool's framing of the the non is solid. But I want to address the bolded.

Your empathy is commendable, and your projection understandable. But are you sure that you're in a position to be the person that you wanted, in her mind, for her?

Go back to that shitty time, reverse your relationship dynamic. There's some cute girl an hour away who's making every effort to see you; you don't even have to leave your house, or interact with anyone but her.

If she's your primary support: do you decline as much as she does? Do you offer no more solutions that would work for you?

If no, let yourself off the hook here.

(If yes, still let yourself off the hook, because Spool Post)

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Update: We went on a failed attempt at a double date with a friend of hers that ended in about thirty minutes with her breaking up with me on the way back to her place.

So I guess I had drastically misread the situation. She had told me she's cut before and attempted suicide more than once, so I was afraid to trigger anything. Turns out her family had actually been pressuring her into not breaking up with me even as she was increasingly coming to think that, although she thought I was a very nice person, we really had very little in common.

The weird thing is, despite us both apparently feeling like the relationship wasn't going to work out, we were both tearing up over breaking up (honestly I think it was harder for me for some reason).

I at least feel glad that of the two girlfriends I've had both breakups ended with the two of us sad it didn't work out, as opposed to angry with one another.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I'm sorry to hear that, Hexmage-PA. I hope that your next date/relationship fares better.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    I'm sorry to hear that, Hexmage-PA. I hope that your next date/relationship fares better.

Thank you.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Moving on, even if necessary, is often hard.

However, now you can move on to better things.

This discussion has been closed.