As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    RickRude wrote: »
    I need some suggestions on a fun deck to play in standard after not playing for a long time. I have a lot of the original cards, maybe some of the second expansion, but not much after that. Used to play handlock, zoo, home made warlock and mage hands, miracle rogue. I actually loved miracle rogue. I'm not sure I won with it more than 50% of the time, but it was always fun to play. I always liked the idea of control mage, hated ice mage though. Have like 3k dust.

Miracle is the cockroach that will never die.

2x (0) Preparation
    2x (0) Backstab
    2x (1) Fire Fly
    2x (1) Cold Blood
    2x (2) Shiv
    2x (2) Sap
    2x (2) Eviscerate
    2x (3) SI:7 Agent
    2x (3) Hench-Clan Thug
    2x (3) Fan of Knives
    1x (3) Edwin VanCleef
    2x (4) Fal'dorei Strider
    2x (4) Elven Minstrel
    2x (5) Vilespine Slayer
    1x (5) Leeroy Jenkins
    2x (6) Gadgetzan Auctioneer

AAECAaIHArICrwQOtAGMAs0DvQSbBYgHpAfdCIYJgcIC68IC3NEC2+MCpu8CAA==

Odd Rogue is also very good right now, and crafting Baku helps open up Odd Paladin and Hunter and Mage.

2x (1) Southsea Deckhand
    2x (1) Fire Fly
    2x (1) Dire Mole
    2x (1) Deadly Poison
    2x (1) Cold Blood
    2x (1) Argent Squire
    2x (3) Vicious Fledgling
    2x (3) Tar Creeper
    2x (3) SI:7 Agent
    1x (3) Ironbeak Owl
    2x (3) Hench-Clan Thug
    2x (3) Blink Fox
    2x (5) Vilespine Slayer
    1x (5) Leeroy Jenkins
    2x (5) Fungalmancer
    1x (5) Cobalt Scalebane
    1x (9) Baku the Mooneater

AAECAaIHBKICrwTKywKe+AINjALLA9QF9QXdCIHCAp/CAuvCAsrDAtHhAovlAqbvAsf4AgA=

Thank you for this. Think I have all the cards in miracle rogue as the list sounds famiar, and will look into that odd rogue as well

• BeastwizardBeastwizard Registered User regular
    OK. I played more of the Big Druid. I briefly regained the stars I lost, and then I lost them all again. I ended up going to “you can’t lose any more stars at this rank.” In the end, I went 10-17.

So, a few possibilities: I could be playing the deck completely wrong. My sample size could have been too small. I could be having terrible luck with matchups. I could be having terrible luck with the mulligan. It could be that it just isn’t suited for the meta I’m hitting. I think that all of the above are probably true to some extent. I’ve basically been hard mulliganing for ramp/howl/Oakheart, but most games they’re just not coming together fast enough to make a difference. Tempo Mage, Miracle Rogue, Odd Rogue, Odd Hunter, Even Shaman, etc, were all wrecking me.

I feel like the deck just didn’t have enough consistency or early game defence. 19 of the 30 cards cost five or more mana. It’s great when you get a chance to play them, but there just weren’t enough stall elements to last long enough to play them, or enough ramp elements to get there faster. I can see it being very strong in a Control/Combo meta - it did very well against Spell Hunter and Shudderwock Shaman - but it just feels too slow against aggro and midrange decks.

Shit, now I feel bad that you guys aren’t finding the same success I did while piloting this. It’s an expensive deck, too!

I’ve been playing a lot more in dumpster Legend, and my absurd winrate has definitely come down to earth with a more believable 60-something percent across 30-plus games. I’ll see if I can find some time to post a detailed guide.

I didn’t run into too much aggro in my original climb, and when I did, it was mostly Odd Paladin or Even Shaman. So maybe this was a big difference. I didn’t run into a single Tempo Mage, and I haven’t seen Odd Hunter in over a month. I think a hard mulligan for Howl is a mistake, as the 3-4 armor you gain isn’t worth it as it doesn’t really help you gain the board back. Spreading Plague is much, much better.

Odd Rogue for sure is a toss up, as a bad draw vs. an unanswered Thug or Fledgling will seal it, but on the other hand, a decent draw will help you stabilize and turn the corner quite easily. Miracle Rogue is gaining a lot popularity, and a lot of my matchups were against it. I don’t think I lost a single one, so I’m not sure what’s happening here. Miracle doesn’t really get going until turns 3-4, and keeping a Naturalize isn’t a horrible idea to deal with an early Cold Blooded minion or Van Cleef. Wide boards are a Rogue’s worst nightmare, and this deck should definitely have the tools to at least stall Miracle Rogue to allow you to set up an overwhelming board.

I also stated earlier to mulligan for Oakheart, when I probably shouldn’t have. Sorry! It’s true that he’s a big game winner, but he costs 9. If he ends up in your opening hand while playing against a slower deck, great! If you draw into him after ramping, great! But I never actively seek him out.

Here are some card combinations that I always look for, whether opening or really at any stage of the game, that might help:

Nourish + Arcane Tyrant. This is pretty great for obvious reasons, especially if you’ve played a turn 2 Wild Growth.

Wild Growth + Bright Eyed Scout. Especially good against aggro, a Wild Growth on 2 into a turn 3 3/4 body is fantastic. And as you said, a big portion of the deck is 5-plus cost. BES into any of your dragons is amazing, and a draw into Oakheart will end the game right there.

I also want to say that one Greedy Sprite could be a flex spot, but I’m not sure. I hate that card because it’s ramp so it fits into the deck, but a 3/1 for 3 feels awful, and most of the time you have to attack with it to get it killed so you don’t even get the mana until next turn.

Hopefully this helps a bit, and I’ll see if I can think of any other pointers in the meantime!

• DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    i made a 20 card tempo mage deck for the brawl and my opponent instantly conceded

that works

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    OK. I played more of the Big Druid. I briefly regained the stars I lost, and then I lost them all again. I ended up going to “you can’t lose any more stars at this rank.” In the end, I went 10-17.

So, a few possibilities: I could be playing the deck completely wrong. My sample size could have been too small. I could be having terrible luck with matchups. I could be having terrible luck with the mulligan. It could be that it just isn’t suited for the meta I’m hitting. I think that all of the above are probably true to some extent. I’ve basically been hard mulliganing for ramp/howl/Oakheart, but most games they’re just not coming together fast enough to make a difference. Tempo Mage, Miracle Rogue, Odd Rogue, Odd Hunter, Even Shaman, etc, were all wrecking me.

I feel like the deck just didn’t have enough consistency or early game defence. 19 of the 30 cards cost five or more mana. It’s great when you get a chance to play them, but there just weren’t enough stall elements to last long enough to play them, or enough ramp elements to get there faster. I can see it being very strong in a Control/Combo meta - it did very well against Spell Hunter and Shudderwock Shaman - but it just feels too slow against aggro and midrange decks.

Shit, now I feel bad that you guys aren’t finding the same success I did while piloting this. It’s an expensive deck, too!

I’ve been playing a lot more in dumpster Legend, and my absurd winrate has definitely come down to earth with a more believable 60-something percent across 30-plus games. I’ll see if I can find some time to post a detailed guide.

I didn’t run into too much aggro in my original climb, and when I did, it was mostly Odd Paladin or Even Shaman. So maybe this was a big difference. I didn’t run into a single Tempo Mage, and I haven’t seen Odd Hunter in over a month. I think a hard mulligan for Howl is a mistake, as the 3-4 armor you gain isn’t worth it as it doesn’t really help you gain the board back. Spreading Plague is much, much better.

Odd Rogue for sure is a toss up, as a bad draw vs. an unanswered Thug or Fledgling will seal it, but on the other hand, a decent draw will help you stabilize and turn the corner quite easily. Miracle Rogue is gaining a lot popularity, and a lot of my matchups were against it. I don’t think I lost a single one, so I’m not sure what’s happening here. Miracle doesn’t really get going until turns 3-4, and keeping a Naturalize isn’t a horrible idea to deal with an early Cold Blooded minion or Van Cleef. Wide boards are a Rogue’s worst nightmare, and this deck should definitely have the tools to at least stall Miracle Rogue to allow you to set up an overwhelming board.

I also stated earlier to mulligan for Oakheart, when I probably shouldn’t have. Sorry! It’s true that he’s a big game winner, but he costs 9. If he ends up in your opening hand while playing against a slower deck, great! If you draw into him after ramping, great! But I never actively seek him out.

Here are some card combinations that I always look for, whether opening or really at any stage of the game, that might help:

Nourish + Arcane Tyrant. This is pretty great for obvious reasons, especially if you’ve played a turn 2 Wild Growth.

Wild Growth + Bright Eyed Scout. Especially good against aggro, a Wild Growth on 2 into a turn 3 3/4 body is fantastic. And as you said, a big portion of the deck is 5-plus cost. BES into any of your dragons is amazing, and a draw into Oakheart will end the game right there.

I also want to say that one Greedy Sprite could be a flex spot, but I’m not sure. I hate that card because it’s ramp so it fits into the deck, but a 3/1 for 3 feels awful, and most of the time you have to attack with it to get it killed so you don’t even get the mana until next turn.

Hopefully this helps a bit, and I’ll see if I can think of any other pointers in the meantime!

I think that I was doing pretty much all of that. :( The big difference being that I was keeping Oakheart in the mulligan, and Howl, since I thought that it would offer a bit more survival against aggro along with cycle. I really can’t imagine taking out the Greedy Sprite. The deck desperately needs ramp.

I think that among the current Big decks, Big Warrior is still my favorite by a wide margin. I went 7-1 with it this evening to get back up to rank four. I feel like it has a much more consistent early game, at the expense of God draws being nowhere near as strong. The end game is also a little more consistent thanks to Dead Man’s Hand reducing fatigue scenarios and restocking the deck with big minions. Also, Big Warrior has charging dinosaurs.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I should say that after going 4-4 with the deck, I pulled a 7-2 run pushing me to almost rank 2. In all those games, I’ve never activated Hydronox. Weird coincidence I guess.

The games I did lose had bad draws, aggro rusher, or Bright Eyed Scout pulling 1-2 cost cards.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    Since this brawl lets you make a standard 30 card deck and completely ignore the Shadow Reflection mechanic, I'd like to see how someone fares just running one of the OP meta decks in this brawl.

• HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Since this brawl lets you make a standard 30 card deck and completely ignore the Shadow Reflection mechanic, I'd like to see how someone fares just running one of the OP meta decks in this brawl.

You'll do pretty well cause all the shenanigan deck are late game leaving themselves open for 6-8 turns in a row.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I imagine odd rogue just runs over everybody

Handkor wrote: »

You'll do pretty well cause all the shenanigan deck are late game leaving themselves open for 6-8 turns in a row.
    I dunno. Some of them win on turn 4 or 5 if they draw their combo cards and their opponents don't have a counter (e.g., armor gain or a taunt).

• GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    I played a bunch of games to clear quests on two regions. With a hard mulligan for radiant and power word I either won turn 3 or conceded because my opponent was going to win his next turn.

I haven't seen any other shenanigan decks but that's maybe just because they are slower and just fall over.

So which horse did people bet on for this?

I've been burned so many times by picking someone I recognize, I went ahead and picked Jinsoo since I've never heard of him. I'm expecting a nice round one elimination showing from him.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    So which horse did people bet on for this?

I've been burned so many times by picking someone I recognize, I went ahead and picked Jinsoo since I've never heard of him. I'm expecting a nice round one elimination showing from him.

I picked Dog because second place is still pretty good.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I used a random number generator to pick Nalguldan.

yeah i had to pick my dude hs dog dog for this one, since purple didn't make it

also just topdecked the most absurd UI in my life, the turn after i was forced to play deathwing out of hand to kill their inner fire'd 48/40 that had just deleted my lich king off the board

felt real, real good

• JimboJimbo down underRegistered User regular
    I imagine odd rogue just runs over everybody

Yeah I'm 8-0 so far with odd rogue in the brawl, mostly against priest. It's pretty strong

404 not found
  • MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    Did anyone else get a second new quest over night?

I'm assuming it's a side-benefit of the login maintenance they did?

PSN: Holy-Promethium
    Dog was my pick.

I'm going to take my cue from reddit, and if he goes out early I'll spam his chat with "if one pack, show six pack."

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    i went with my boy DogChamp cause i literally didn't recognize anyone else's name on that list

LET'S GO DOGGER

DNiDlnb.png
    I love Dog but it seems like every time I watch him in a tournament, things don't go well for him. I bet on him with my throwaway account so watch him win it all now.

• YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I used a random number generator to pick Nalguldan.

The most Hearthstone of methods.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
    https://www.vicioussyndicate.com/vs-data-reaper-report-95/

briefest of brief takeaways:

odd paladin is on the rise, taking advantage of a meta that has become phenomenally late-game and greedy
    even warlock is similarly on the rise, because it beats the shit out of odd paladin and has a ton of favorable matchups against the field
    priest and warrior are mostly in the dumpster currently. taunt warrior is still hanging on but has a ton of unwinnable matchups right now -- it might improve if odd paladin takes off more

edited June 2018
    Edit: I got beaten.

Yilias on
  • NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    I had been tempted to finally craft the warrior quest but I'm glad I held off.

Warrior decks always seem to start fading out so soon after they appear/return.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    We didn’t know how hard warrior was riding on 2 mana Fiery War Axe. And 1 mana execute.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    We didn’t know how hard warrior was riding on 2 mana Fiery War Axe. And 1 mana execute.

we did though, most of us called that the FWA nerf was going to destroy control warrior.

2 mana Execute is ironically a very helpful change otherwise Warrior would get dominated by Geist.

I know there was a lot of dismissal about Kibler's elemental mage when it got posted before, but I'm 7 and 1 with it at Rank 5/4, including wins against Paladins, Cubelock and Play Dead Hunter.

Deck for those interested:
    AAECAc2xAgTQAsrBAsLDApvTAg3hB5fBApvCAqzCAuvCAsrDAsfHAsjHApbTAs3rAs7vArfxAs7yAgA=.png

AAECAc2xAgTQAsrBAsLDApvTAg3hB5fBApvCAqzCAuvCAsrDAsfHAsjHApbTAs3rAs7vArfxAs7yAgA=

Maybe it just suits my playstyle.

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I know there was a lot of dismissal about Kibler's elemental mage when it got posted before, but I'm 7 and 1 with it at Rank 5/4, including wins against Paladins, Cubelock and Play Dead Hunter.

AAECAc2xAgTQAsrBAsLDApvTAg3hB5fBApvCAqzCAuvCAsrDAsfHAsjHApbTAs3rAs7vArfxAs7yAgA=.png

AAECAc2xAgTQAsrBAsLDApvTAg3hB5fBApvCAqzCAuvCAsrDAsfHAsjHApbTAs3rAs7vArfxAs7yAgA=

How important is Baron Geddon and Pyros for this deck? Jaina is someone I've been meaning to craft for some time, so I can swallow that one, but two more Leggos on top of that is a tall order.

Twitch: Thawmus83
    Thawmus wrote: »

How important is Baron Geddon and Pyros for this deck? Jaina is someone I've been meaning to craft for some time, so I can swallow that one, but two more Leggos on top of that is a tall order.

Baron is pretty critical really, it's your only guaranteed AoE.

I honestly wouldn't craft to play this deck. Expansions probably a month and a half away at most, save your dust. There are cheaper probably more generally effective decks around.

I expect that the next expansion will drop on August 9.

I expect that the next expansion will drop on August 9.

Yeah, I definitely expect first week or two of august.

Expect that we'll be hearing the hype train coming down the tracks in the next 2-3 weeks.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Still a month too late IMO. The only reason I'm even playing right now is because of this quest event and the new Arena cards adding much needed variety to the game mode.

Still a month too late IMO. The only reason I'm even playing right now is because of this quest event and the new Arena cards adding much needed variety to the game mode.

Expansions drop in April, August and December, on the first full week’s Thursday. A balance patch is released approximately six weeks later.

The events are to keep people interested between sets.

So, if you’re playing because of the events, their cunning plan is working.

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    I voted dog cause everyone said vote dog.

And Frozen wasn't on the list.

If dog somehow succeeds, he has only me to thank.

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    If dog somehow succeeds, he has only me to thank.

Sadly, I voted for him so he's probably not making it out of groups.

edited June 2018
    Whose 1 pity pack power is stronger!? I can't wait to find out!

Edit: When are these games anyway?

Oh, there it is.
    June 28 – Group Stage
    June 29 – Group Stage
    June 30 – Elimination & Decider Matches
    July 1 – Playoffs

Edit again: Damn, scheduled during SGDQ. Bastards.

forty on
    Whose 1 pity pack power is stronger!? I can't wait to find out!

Edit: When are these games anyway?

Oh, there it is.
    June 28 – Group Stage
    June 29 – Group Stage
    June 30 – Elimination & Decider Matches
    July 1 – Playoffs

Edit again: Damn, scheduled during SGDQ. Bastards.

in honor of the summer games, our collective dude hs dog dog will speedrun getting eliminated from the group stage

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    damn this kingsbane rogue must have been really happy to finally queue into a good match-up for him because he emoted sorry every single turn

liEt3nH.png
    damn this kingsbane rogue must have been really happy to finally queue into a good match-up for him because he emoted sorry every single turn

Dr6gg10.png

u63lGtC.png

DNiDlnb.png