As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Elite: Dangerous] THARGOIDS INVADE BUBBLE! December 3308 Update!

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    First thing I did was fit it out for passengers. Just about recouped it's cost in a few hours. Took a detour to bounty hunt for mats needed to fully engineer the Fad so that my passenger runs took fewer hops.

Any specific area? I was doing passengers stuff in Sothis area

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
      Robigo to Sothis, only taking missions over 2.1m but slanting towards the ones 2.5-2.9m. I can do 9 passengers per trip now.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
    • Options
      I'm excited! any station in particular you recommend? I'm using my diamondback to get there then ship my Anaconda

• Options
        CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
        In Robigo, look for Hauser's Reach. The good psyouts are from business class with a minimum of 8 capacity. There are some first class ones and few luxury, but most are business. I'm flying with one first class over 8, two economy at 8 and the rest are business over 8. With that loadout in my Anaconda I can take 9 passengers. Just engineered my FSD last night to over 31ly, so now I can do the haul in 2 jumps each way instead of 3.

• Options
        I got a plain FSD so I'll fit this thing with cabins, but my jump is gonna suck until I can engineer it.

• Options
          Start with an A FSD and trade for the materials you need to engineer. Every step of engineering will make a difference. I started out only getting partially into level 3 and I was doing the run 3 hops each way.

• Options
          I got the A drive, but I'll have to engineer a little later. I'm a goose and forgot to pin the blueprint when I was there (I just unlocked the FSD engineer)

• Options
            Whoops.

On an unrelated note, I swapped out the mini on my Vulture for a plasma accelerator. Took it out for a walk at a res and couldn't hit a damn thing. The firing delay plus my terrible aim made it only hit once in maybe 15 shots.

• Options
            Holy shit, nice suggestion on the Passenger missions :+1:

• Options
              Once you are allied with all factions there, don't get fooled into taking the ones below 2m. If you have more room than missions, board flip.

• Options
              I did buy my anaconda with a discount - are there systems with module discounts, too? That A power plant is more than the ship haha!

• Options
                BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
                edited June 2018
                TimFiji wrote: »
                I did buy my anaconda with a discount - are there systems with module discounts, too? That A power plant is more than the ship haha!

Systems exploited by LYR (Sirius) power play power offer 15% discounts on everything IIRC. Not sure about generic discounts unrelated to PP.

Bigity on
              • Options
                LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
                edited June 2018
                Beyond chapter 2 trailer, if you haven't seen it yet:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=idrnfZ-q4X8

Not to much info there... but nice for a cinematic trailer I suppose, even though it kinda misrepresents the game a bit.

Oh, and from here, the Krait has 3 large, 2 mediums and good straight line speed, in the Python class of ships. Hm... that actually sounds pretty nice.

Looking at comments in various places, it seems people are putting a lot of stock in the fact that there is a lot of animations showing the commanders interacting with the ship, indicating on-going work on space-legs. Seems that people are seeing what they want to see, but who knows, Frontier have put small teasers into their trailers before so...

Lodbrok on
              • Options
                What are the best shields and engineer mod for a mostly PVE Anaconda?

• Options
                  DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
                  Man, I really miss ED, going to start trying to make my own fun within the game even if certain things aren't what I want. Like I think it would be fun to goto a CG that likely involves mining and just patrol around ratting abit and if i see a player getting attacked jump to their aid. Who cares if I get blown up alot, it'll be fun! Also had the thought of lurking in SR with my drives off at a megaship, waiting for players to come try to pirate it, then attacking them after they've acquired a bounty. :D "THIS IS THE POLICE! POWER DOWN YOUR DRIVES IMMEDIATELY!" Dunno if that'll work, might well never see anyone or be instanced with them, or just get blown away by pvp meta ships all the time, but it beats being too bored to fly.

Fortunately for later this year, the mining and exploration changes are so close to what I've been wanting I wonder if they read this thread! I am very excited for that. Just need to occupy my self till then.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
                • Options
                  General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
                  edited June 2018
                  Lodbrok wrote: »

Not to much info there... but nice for a cinematic trailer I suppose, even though it kinda misrepresents the game a bit.

Oh, and from here, the Krait has 3 large, 2 mediums and good straight line speed, in the Python class of ships. Hm... that actually sounds pretty nice.

Looking at comments in various places, it seems people are putting a lot of stock in the fact that there is a lot of animations showing the commanders interacting with the ship, indicating on-going work on space-legs. Seems that people are seeing what they want to see, but who knows, Frontier have put small teasers into their trailers before so...

I have little faith in developer's assessments of what is "good" straight line speed, so I'll wait until we have solid numbers to make an assessment about it in that regard. However given that screenshots depict it having a SLF bay (an EXTREMELY important detail about a ship that the text of the article completely overlooks), and assuming that the lasers on top of the ship are the three larges, then this ship might be a better combatant than the FDL so long as its shields aren't terrible and its agility isn't dumpster tier.

gtxmv0xjvdf4.png

0v2bbmccl2rn.jpg

edit:
                  I'm also curious what justifies the krait as "low profile?" It is, by their own terms, a fast ship bristling with guns. How is that low profile?

General_Armchair on
                  3DS Friend Code:
                  Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
                • Options
                  crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
                  I think its literal ship profile is considered "low". As in it's not "thick"

• Options
                  No, in context "low profile" is used as "inconspicuous." They outright state that the ship is less likely to be scanned by the space police.

3DS Friend Code:
                • Options
                  No, in context "low profile" is used as "inconspicuous." They outright state that the ship is less likely to be scanned by the space police.

Oh dear. That's not low profile at all then!

• Options
                  dylmandylman Registered User regular
                  It turns out that there is a hidden stat that affects how often a particular ship is scanned. This apparently wasn't secret but wasn't exactly publicised either.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/434909-quot-It-s-less-conspicuous-quot?p=6812017&viewfull=1#post6812017
                  Hello Commanders!

Ships do have a conspicuous rating that authorities use to determine how quickly a ship should be investigated and scanned.

• Options
                  ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
                  It may also mean that it naturally radiates little heat. Like the Cobra and Diamondback, which quickly drop off scanners even when not under silent running.

It sounds like it could be the new bluesmobile, but I know it's got to have a flaw somewhere. Slow turning speed, or minimal optional internal compartments, or something.

• Options
                  Very close to buying my Clipper. Have the cash, just need one more rank.

• Options
                  Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
                  I got the Keelback fancy bits kit.

Decked it out as a full on smuggler ship with mines and all the countermeasures. Did a few things, need to maybe sort out a controller solution. This game controls very... Cumbersome-ly with mouse and keyboard.

• Options
                  edited June 2018
                  Lodbrok wrote: »

I have little faith in developer's assessments of what is "good" straight line speed, so I'll wait until we have solid numbers to make an assessment about it in that regard. However given that screenshots depict it having a SLF bay (an EXTREMELY important detail about a ship that the text of the article completely overlooks), and assuming that the lasers on top of the ship are the three larges, then this ship might be a better combatant than the FDL so long as its shields aren't terrible and its agility isn't dumpster tier.

gtxmv0xjvdf4.png

0v2bbmccl2rn.jpg

edit:
                  I'm also curious what justifies the krait as "low profile?" It is, by their own terms, a fast ship bristling with guns. How is that low profile?

That thing is like ED's Falcon, and will be my ship! I am so excited to buy one immediately and start making my own special modifications.

DarkMecha on
                • Options
                  So I'm currently on the hunt for tungsten and a few other materials to unlock shock cannons from the tech broker. Anyone have any tips as to where on the planets is best to look? I've been going with the idea that rarer elements are going to be in areas of more recent geological activity or possibly craters and so far it seems to be correct but I was curious what other people were doing.

• Options
                  SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
                  I got the Keelback fancy bits kit.

Decked it out as a full on smuggler ship with mines and all the countermeasures. Did a few things, need to maybe sort out a controller solution. This game controls very... Cumbersome-ly with mouse and keyboard.

I use one of these. I have to bind some stuff on the keyboard, but I can keep the essentials on the HOTAS.

aTBDrQE.jpg
                • Options
                  ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
                  edited June 2018
                  Just started playing this game. Did a few combat and delivery missions. Bouncing between Du Shama, HR 6987, and Igalilinima. Progress was much faster than I expected and I was able to buy a Cobra, general upgrades for combat/mining, 4A FSD, ADS, and DSS in my first day of playing.

So I decided to do this Road to Riches thing I read about. A few hours later and I am 25Mcr richer.

I guess I need to figure out what I am going to spend this on...

ObiFett on
                • Options
                  dylmandylman Registered User regular
                  Spend it on the Asp Explorer. It's the best multirole ship in the early-mid game, and it'll see you right while you work out what you want the game to be (it's also one of the very best explorers if that bug has bitten you). But if you're looking at combat only, then the Vulture is the next step.

• Options
                  edited June 2018
                  I forget how expensive that the ASP is once you've outfitted it with all of the bells and whistles. Check out a ship builder site to double check your budget. 25 mil might be cutting it close for an ASP with all of the toys and a full cargo load of palladium. Aside from that, it's basically the Cobra's big brother.

The diamondback explorer is a cheaper but less all around capable ship, but it retains the advantage of being a better hyperspace taxi than the ASP. I don't remember if the Diamondback or Anaconda currently holds the record for longest possible jump range, but the all around sunlight speed and agility combined with the ability to dock at outposts makes the Diamondback my hyperspace taxi of choice. Although the conda's bigger fuel tank and scoop makes me gravitate towards it when I need to traverse distances greater than 500 LY.

Edit:
                  The absolute budget hyperspace taxi is the Hauler. It's not as good as any of the explorer ships, but it's fully kitted out build is orders of magnitude cheaper.

Edit 2:
                  Another alternative to the vulture as an upgraded combat ship over Cobra is the Imperial Courier. Marginally less firepower for far superior shields, way more agility, and an extremely tiny silhouette. The name doesn't make sense though. It's not particularly good at couriering things at all.

General_Armchair on
                  3DS Friend Code:
                • Options
                  ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
                  edited June 2018
                  I'm only at jump 40ish of my exploration run. I plan on exhausting myself on this exploration kick. I think maybe I've got another 100-150 or so jumps in me before I'll want to get back to civilization and really start spending. So I'm guessing I'll have close to 100mil to play with when I get back.

That should be enough to grab that Asp ya'll are talking about ;) I like the idea of grabbing a multi-role ship while I figure out what I really enjoy in the game. Its kind of everything right now.

ObiFett on
                • Options
                  Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
                  what do people like... do in this game?

It's been kinda on my radar for a bit and since I'm low on things to play I was thinking of getting it in the steam sale, but after watching a couple videos it's wasn't really clear to me how it works. Youtube seems to have a lot of combat gameplay which looks neat, and also a lot of tutorial things, but nothing that gave me a sense of 'when I log in to play for an hour or two, here's what I actually do.'

NREqxl5.jpg
                  it was the smallest on the list but
                  Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
                • Options
                  It's definitely a "make your own fun" kind of game.

Most things to do fit into 3 categories: combat, trade, and exploration. Mining and taxi services are probably in there somewhere too. Each of those are pretty much means to earn money, for getting and upgrading bigger and better ships.

Combat can be bounty hunting, piracy, etc. for some examples.
                  There's missions for each activity you can pick up to help you earn more rep and cred.
                  There are Community Goals that show up as well for various activities that give you a reward based on community milestones and your level of participation.

• Options
                  what do people like... do in this game?

It's been kinda on my radar for a bit and since I'm low on things to play I was thinking of getting it in the steam sale, but after watching a couple videos it's wasn't really clear to me how it works. Youtube seems to have a lot of combat gameplay which looks neat, and also a lot of tutorial things, but nothing that gave me a sense of 'when I log in to play for an hour or two, here's what I actually do.'

You've cut to the heart of the matter and uncovered the game's deepest secret. The heart of the game is simply to pretend that you're in a space ship and try to get comfy.

Interplay between players is the game's weakest point, and in a way many of the game's mechanics have actively discourage player interaction. It is, for the most part, essentially a single player game. Even in open mode, you're unlikely to encounter live players within inhabited space outside of a handful of select hotspots.

There has been some movement towards encouraging deeper player interaction, and hopefully we'll see more of that in the future.

3DS Friend Code:
                • Options
                  Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
                  edited June 2018
                  It's also a bit of a grind. Some times that grind is way fun and you're an awesome space cow boy.

Other times you're looking at "stuff you want to do" and realize you have to do "a bunch of other stuff" first.

Still, it's like the absolute best realistic feeling spaceship game I've ever played. Only one that's made me want to do a bunch of out of game stuff, and build custom controls. The "holy shit PEW PEW VIDEO GAME FUCK YEAH!" moments are of excellent magnitude, just a bit far between.

Anon the Felon on
                • Options
                  LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
                  Here is an interesting video of something I did not expect to see anymore in the game. A Cobra mk3 taking on a FDL successfully. Of course, the cobra cmdr is flying well, but still nice to see that the cobra has teeth!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=eQjOXmQWiwI

• Options
                  Definitely found something that really annoys me in game. Trying to get commodities for an engineer and checking 20 planetary markets using an online resource still hasn't net me all of them. It just seems needlessly tedious and stupid.

• Options
                    TimFiji wrote: »
                    Definitely found something that really annoys me in game. Trying to get commodities for an engineer and checking 20 planetary markets using an online resource still hasn't net me all of them. It just seems needlessly tedious and stupid.

What are they making you look for? The last time I had to fetch commodities for an engineer, they wanted hundreds of units of a rare good that was like a 300 ly round trip away and only ever had maybe a dozen units in stock.

3DS Friend Code:
                  • Options
                    Landmines. I finished but it was just annoying. Normally I don't mind the little fetch stuff but this just got to be a waste of time.

• Options
                      For regular commodities, everyone is pulling their shopping list from the same community source that you were. It's usually easier to bring a big cargo ship to a big market on the other side of the bubble, fill her to the brim, and then just make a long trek to the engineer.

3DS Friend Code:
                    • Options
                      Even when playing solo?