As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Western Animation] RIP Peter Sallis

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    The fact that people are still passionately debating the philosophy of the Incredibles 14 years after it was released is a good sign that it was a movie with an interesting point of view. That is probably more than most superhero movies can claim!

To me, The Incredibles is about mediocrity vs. greatness. It's about people who want to do great things who are held back by people who are small-minded. Maybe there's something that's a little Randian about that theme...but there is also, I think, something truthful and resonant about it, too. Sometimes the world does feel like one big war between greatness and mediocrity. We just had an election where a highly intelligent and qualified presidential candidate went up against an incompetent buffoon, and the incompetent buffoon won.

In any case, even if The Incredibles is a little Randian, it's not very Randian. As the video above points out, it's a movie about heroes who altruistically help other people, and altruism is not Ayn Rand's thing.

Anyway, after watching The Incredibles 2, I think it continues the theme of greatness vs. mediocrity...by being a mediocre rehash of the great first film. :P

wandering on
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    LoisLane wrote: »
    Handkor wrote: »
    I want to go see it but I think my 5 year old is a bit too young to see it in theatre.

I could go alone but my wife will be like "Really! Just take the kids"

People brought babies to my viewing and it really wasn't that bad. Does your kid get fidgety easily?

Fidgety yes, but the movies he has been too he's been ok [Cars 3 and Despicable Me 3]

I should have him watch the first one first but he's not into superhero stuff yet. Loves transformers Rescue Bots and Robots in Disguise though.
    The movie is pretty easy to understand without seeing the first. If he’s handled two movies well then he might handle this one fine but your his parent so you know him best.

Well it doesn't matter anymore cause my wife and I went to see it tonight instead and left the kids with Mammie. The movie had too many bits where the adults were talking, he would have been bored.

We enjoyed it immensely.

Handkor on
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Just watched Incredibles 2, and enjoyed it.

The short before the movie was very weird, yet somehow managed to make my wife cry.

• Options
    The short makes you pause thinking
    This got really dark

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I am basically the dumpling boy so Bao resonated real hard with me.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    LoisLaneLoisLane Registered User regular
    I want to go see it but I think my 5 year old is a bit too young to see it in theatre.

I could go alone but my wife will be like "Really! Just take the kids"

People brought babies to my viewing and it really wasn't that bad. Does your kid get fidgety easily?

Fidgety yes, but the movies he has been too he's been ok [Cars 3 and Despicable Me 3]

I should have him watch the first one first but he's not into superhero stuff yet. Loves transformers Rescue Bots and Robots in Disguise though.
    The movie is pretty easy to understand without seeing the first. If he’s handled two movies well then he might handle this one fine but your his parent so you know him best.

Well it doesn't matter anymore cause my wife and I went to see it tonight instead and left the kids with Mammie. The movie had too many bits where the adults were talking, he would have been bored.

We enjoyed it immensely.

Aww. I’m glad you enjoyed it and I hope he can get to enjoy it too once he’s older.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    The short makes you pause thinking
    This got really dark
    She...she ate him...

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/21/entertainment/daria-mtv/index.html

MTV considering bringing back Daria. No confirmation however of whether Tracy Grandstaff will voice Daria again.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Daria and Jodie?

Nothing against Jodie, but what happened to Jane?

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

And apparently it was finished before production even started on the new Duck Tales. Very weird...

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Huh, what's all this?
    After more than a year of waiting, animation workers will soon receive the first payment from the $170 million settlement they won from various animation studios. The class action lawsuit against the studios alleged long-term wage theft and antritrust violations.

The money is coming from The Walt Disney Company/Pixar/Lucasfilm/Imagemovers Digital, which settled for $100 million; Dreamworks Animation, which settled for $50 million; Sony Pictures, which settled for $13 million; and 21st Century Fox-owned Blue Sky Studios, which settled for $5.95 million. Most animation workers who were employed at those companies between 2004 and 2010 qualify to receive a portion of the settlement. The list of qualifying job titles can be found here.

The lawsuit was sparked after it became clear that animation studios had colluded for years to set salary limits and avoid hiring artists from other studios, thereby circumventing the free market for the skills and talents of their employees.

Why haven't I heard about this until now? :confused:

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    A female animator from Pixar explains how the sexism in their tock work culture ruined her career. WTF, Pixar.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/pixar-boys-club-john-lasseter-cassandra-smolcic-1202858982/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
    After years of exploiting his position of power at Pixar and Disney, pressure from the Me Too movement recently ousted John Lasseterfrom his post as chief creative officer. But Pixar has yet to address how John’s sexist attitudes permeated its culture for decades, giving men license to mistreat women and sideline their careers.

I was a graphic designer at Pixar during the second half of my 20s. I know people are saying that the climate there wasn’t “that bad.” I’m here to tell you that it was, and more than likely still is.

At Pixar, my female-ness was an undeniable impediment to my value, professional mobility, and sense of security within the company. The stress of working amidst such a blatantly sexist atmosphere took its toll, and was a major factor in forcing me out of the industry.

When I started at Pixar as an intern, I thought I’d landed my dream job. But my excitement was quickly tempered by a flood of warnings about Lasseter’s touchy-feely, boundary-crossing tendencies with female employees. It was devastating to learn, right from the start, that women were open targets for disrespect and harassment –– even at a world-renowned workplace in the most liberal-leaning city in the country. I was likewise told to steer clear of a particularly chauvinistic male lead in my department. Much like John, this man’s female targets had been reporting his vulgar, unprofessional behaviors for years, but his position and demeanor remained much the same.

I had my first uncomfortable encounter with this department head in a company kitchen, just two weeks into my internship. He cornered me with sexual comments while openly leering at my body. Over the next five years, I white-knuckled my way through many unwelcome, objectifying interactions with him, with Lasseter, and with other men; was physically groped by another male coworker; and was sidelined from projects by the unofficial boys’ club casting system.

Just after starting on “Cars 2,” I was told by a superior that I would be uninvited from all our weekly art department meetings because Lasseter “has a hard time controlling himself” around young women. I was crushed to have my participation in the filmmaking process –– and subsequently my career trajectory –– thwarted simply because I was female. It was clear that the institution was working hard to protect him, at the expense of women like me.

But Lasseter didn’t need an intimate setting to make female employees uncomfortable. He would give me, and countless other women, lecherous up-and-down looks (or unwanted hugs and touches) almost every time we crossed his path on campus. These tactless encounters made it clear that we were sex objects to him. The entire Pixar workforce witnessed the sleazy spin that John brought to Pixar’s Halloween bash. If he found a woman attractive when she got on stage, he’d ask her to spin around while he made suggestive comments, turning the event into yet another lewd spectacle.

Lasseter’s open sexism set the tone from the top, emboldening others to act like frat boys in just about any campus setting. I’ll never forget the day a director compared his latest film to “a big-titted blond who was difficult to nail down” in front of the whole company, a joke that received gasps of disapproval.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Huh, what's all this?
    After more than a year of waiting, animation workers will soon receive the first payment from the $170 million settlement they won from various animation studios. The class action lawsuit against the studios alleged long-term wage theft and antritrust violations.

The money is coming from The Walt Disney Company/Pixar/Lucasfilm/Imagemovers Digital, which settled for $100 million; Dreamworks Animation, which settled for $50 million; Sony Pictures, which settled for $13 million; and 21st Century Fox-owned Blue Sky Studios, which settled for $5.95 million. Most animation workers who were employed at those companies between 2004 and 2010 qualify to receive a portion of the settlement. The list of qualifying job titles can be found here.

The lawsuit was sparked after it became clear that animation studios had colluded for years to set salary limits and avoid hiring artists from other studios, thereby circumventing the free market for the skills and talents of their employees.

Why haven't I heard about this until now? :confused:

That deal you're talking about that they settled? That was the model for the wage fixing cartel in the tech industry.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Pretty cool. He'll do a good job.

I'm re-watching Samurai Jack XCIII and XCIV, talk about perfection in animation. So awesome.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    A...live action/cgi combo film?

So, Sonic 06 the movie? WHAT COULD GO WRONG

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    at this point its just fun watching how Sega still manages to get hype going in their Sonic fans and then knock the slats out from under them yet again.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Will only watch it if they put Coldsteel the hedgehog in it.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    A...live action/cgi combo film?

So, Sonic 06 the movie? WHAT COULD GO WRONG

Yeah, after a whole pile of really terrible Sonic games, what could they have left to do horribly wrong at this point? I feel like they've already covered all that ground.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

They won't.

Nothing personnel, kid.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Cold steel is an android gargoyle

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Cold steel is an android gargoyle

Unless it has a pipe in its mouth, more likely a grotesque.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    https://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/177935/doo-wop-singer-eugene-pitt-passes
    Doo-wop and soul singer EUGENE PITT has passed. PITT was the lead singer for Eugene Pitt & The Jive Five, who created doo-wop classics such as "My True Story", "Never, Never", and "What Time Is It?" The group enjoyed a renaissance of sorts in the '80s. when they created and sang the a cappella jingle for the NICKELODEON cable channel..

Eugene Pitt and his band sang many of the original iconic Nickelodeon animated bumpers during the 80s-90s. He passed away at 80.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ79AqEtHXo

Donnicton on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Apparently Cartoon Network lost the rights to King of the Hill, as its being replaced on their schedule.

Bummer, as that's always been my comfort cartoon.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Oh that’s bullshit!

I liked having it early on weekends to either get me up and ready for the day or sleep in a bit more. Better than stupid Cleveland Show.

It would be nice if Netflix got it but it’s probably going into Hulu. That UI experience ain’t right.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Apparently Cartoon Network lost the rights to King of the Hill, as its being replaced on their schedule.

What's odd is they're replacing it with reruns of Dragon Ball Super. At least air one of the other adult shows you have the rights to but don't air for some reason.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Kyougu wrote: »

What's odd is they're replacing it with reruns of Dragon Ball Super. At least air one of the other adult shows you have the rights to but don't air for some reason.

As I understand that slot is for a "safe" show to air for kids that might still be watching tv

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    I just started season 3 of Voltron.

I'm so getting the Voltron lego set next month.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I love the heck out of the new Voltron, the quality is well above and beyond anything I expected.

• Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Ah Lotor!
    I think that was the fastest face heel turn I've ever seen

oh h*ck
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Turkson wrote: »
    Ah Lotor!
    I think that was the fastest face heel turn I've ever seen

I really, really liked him.
    He was Altean filtered through a Galra lens. He hated what his father and mother had become, but couldn't escape his upbringing. So, he worked to 'save' the Altean species, but in such a way that undermined what it meant to actually be Altean. His civility and compassion were, mostly, lies he told himself to separate himself from his lineage. And when Allura rebuffed him, it all came crashing down. He was just as much of a monster as those he despised, and essentially said "Fuck it. If I'm a monster, then a monster I shall be."

It really felt like something from Avatar/Korra, which, I mean, of course. But it was really well done, IMO. I'm very curious about:
    What's going on with Haggar. She remembers her past life before she was possessed/corrupted, and can seemingly transform between her blue skin and normal skin forms.

I also hope that:
    With the crew going back to Earth, we find out that Pidge's dad has been working on a Vehicle Voltron.

Also, Hunk is the best. As is Monsters and Mana.

• Options
    My secret wish has been that they find out that the lions are inhabited by the ancient spirits of warriors from a place called "Third Earth" and then BAM, Voltron is suddenly a secret sequel to Thundercats.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    My secret wish has been that they find out that the lions are inhabited by the ancient spirits of warriors from a place called "Third Earth" and then BAM, Voltron is suddenly a secret sequel to Thundercats.

Mills Lane: I'll allow it.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Ok KO is such a weird, cool little show.

Like the episode today was about how Garr felt his friendship with Enid sometimes had a skewed dynamic, and they talk about it!

Then it ends in a joke that really made me laugh.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Apparently Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse will be every bit as bonkers as we're hoping, as Miles, Pete and Spider-Gwen are going to be joined by Spider-Man Noir. Voiced by Nicholas Cage, no less.

...we're going to get Spider-Ham, right? This is a Lord/Miller production. I don't think anything could stop them from doing Spider-Ham.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Apparently Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse will be every bit as bonkers as we're hoping, as Miles, Pete and Spider-Gwen are going to be joined by Spider-Man Noir. Voiced by Nicholas Cage, no less.

...we're going to get Spider-Ham, right? This is a Lord/Miller production. I don't think anything could stop them from doing Spider-Ham.

Noir tends to often play a major role in these spiderverses (cartoon from a few years back and comics). Cause he's cool and his setting is cool.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

We better have Spider-Man 2099

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I'm bummed that they're leaning into the multiverse stuff since I'm afraid it'll detract from Miles story.

• Options
    Damn this whole week of Steven Universe episodes have been great, but that last episode. Not just great, but really pretty historic. Can't believe that just aired on Cartoon Network.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
This discussion has been closed.