As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallout] Your Cube Was Nuked By xXx420yolo_69

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    That reminds me, Dying Light 2 kind of got overshadowed by other stuff at E3 but in case you missed it, it was announced and also Avellone is working with them on the story to some degree.
    He's the work for hire king now.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Pretty sure Chris's business card just says "Have Pen- Will Travel"

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    That reminds me, Dying Light 2 kind of got overshadowed by other stuff at E3 but in case you missed it, it was announced and also Avellone is working with them on the story to some degree.
    He's the work for hire king now.

Any chance he can write an ending that doesn't reduce the most movement dynamic survival combat game to a series of quicktime events?

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Speaking of Fallout 3 and the Brotherhood of Steel, I remember people going on about how the Brotherhood was poorly written and ruined, etc etc. I only had a brief experience with the game at the time so I shrugged it off out of not having any context.

So then a couple weeks ago I did that deep-dive on FO3 finally. And as such I ran into the Outcasts. That's when I realized people probably should've given Bethesda more credit on handling the Brotherhood, because as it turns out the east-branch was recognized in-universe as having changed, with the Outcasts pointing it out, being critical of it, and promising that all those 'softies' will pay once the Brotherhood-proper arrives on the east coast in bigger force. So it wasn't 'ruined.' It was likely a potential setup for a big schism within the BoS. Whether or not that's a good thing (content / lore-wise) has yet to be seen I guess? Although I haven't gotten far into Fallout 4 either. I'm still knee-deep in New Vegas.

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    Speaking of Fallout 3 and the Brotherhood of Steel, I remember people going on about how the Brotherhood was poorly written and ruined, etc etc. I only had a brief experience with the game at the time so I shrugged it off out of not having any context.

So then a couple weeks ago I did that deep-dive on FO3 finally. And as such I ran into the Outcasts. That's when I realized people probably should've given Bethesda more credit on handling the Brotherhood, because as it turns out the east-branch was recognized in-universe as having changed, with the Outcasts pointing it out, being critical of it, and promising that all those 'softies' will pay once the Brotherhood-proper arrives on the east coast in bigger force. So it wasn't 'ruined.' It was likely a potential setup for a big schism within the BoS. Whether or not that's a good thing (content / lore-wise) has yet to be seen I guess? Although I haven't gotten far into Fallout 4 either. I'm still knee-deep in New Vegas.

I will say that by FO4 the schism has been mended. You kinda see why they would in NV.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Axen wrote: »

I will say that by FO4 the schism has been mended. You kinda see why they would in NV.
    I haven't gotten to them in my current NV file just yet but I have a vague memory from my brief "just beat the game" playthrough a few years ago of them being stubborn to the point of being essentially in danger. Like the only people they're a threat to are any given individual caravan group that's in transit.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Yeah stubborn is a good word for em in NV.

They ignored everything around them including the NCR forming. NCR offered for the BoS to join with the new republic, but they said no. Then the NCR got bigger and bigger and reached more-or-less technological parity with the BoS.

OG BoS could not abide people having tech and figured BoS tech, training and power armor would win any fight. Unfortunately for them NCR didn't just have tech, but numbers. A single BoS Knight might be worth ten NCR Troopers, but the NCR always has an eleventh.

Axen on
  • Options
    edited June 2018

I get the feeling Bethesda weren't going to seriously follow up on a schism at all, they wanted the Brotherhood to be the awesome superheroes from then on because they look cool and have power armor and the Outcasts were just the bitter stragglers, doubt they were thinking about it any harder than that. Bethesda had a very shallow idea of what they wanted the BOS to be at the time.

Fallout 4 feels more like an attempt at course correction after criticism.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    FO4 BoS is a very different BoS compared to FO3 or even the OG BoS.

OG BoS were secretive, isolationists who thought technology was not safe in the hands of the common people and sought find, catalog, and secure just about any tech. They weren't out right aggressive, but if they asked you to hand over tech and you said no they'd get violent without it weighing on their conscience.

FO3 BoS decided that using their toys to actually help people was a far more noble use of their skills.

FO4 BoS is like a more hands on evolution of FO3 BoS. They're basically like the Teutonic Order. Anyone can join the BoS proper, but everyone in the DC Wasteland (well in FO4's time it is less wasteland and more functioning state) works in some capacity for the BoS. FO4 BoS is also not against trading useful tech that can better the lives of people, but they don't trade weapons. FO4 BoS is also the one and only BoS in FO4's time.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Well, I decided to download Fallout 4 again.

What do the cool kids use to manage mods nowadays?

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    "Mended" isn't the word I would use for how the schism was handled in Fallout 4. It was solved by the assholes murdering all the nice people.

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    "Mended" isn't the word I would use for how the schism was handled in Fallout 4. It was solved by the assholes murdering all the nice people.
    Sarah Lyons had such an unfortunate accident.

She tripped and fell on Elder Maxson's gun and it shot her twice in the brain. Shame she's not still with us.

• Options
    Arty Maxson had a big ol crush on Sarah. While her death was certainly suspicious it is unlikely Maxson had anything to do with.

Especially since he carried on with her policies anyway.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

I play on console, so they're kinda just managed for me.

I'm only replying to your post because my mom assures me I'm cool, and I don't think she'd lie to me.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options

Mostly the in-game tool to be honest, and I'm on PC. There's a few precious mods I've picked up on the Nexus and manually installed. Truth be told, with FO4 and the new way mod files are packed together, even on the Nexus, they're much easier to install these days. Less nonsense about having tons of subfolders and meticulous files. Everything sits in two files generally; the ESP and then a library file with the content thereof. If that even.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Arty Maxson had a big ol crush on Sarah. While her death was certainly suspicious it is unlikely Maxson had anything to do with.

Sarah would have had a huuuuge problem with the way Maxson is running the BOS.

Strong arming farms, destroying new tech, the general fascist overtones. He's taking a lot of the methods the East Coast Brotherhood used to bolster themselves and applying it towards West Coast ideals that they rejected once they split off.

She would have lead an uprising against him in a split second or never let him taken control. BOS/Maxson loyalists almost certainly killed her in my head canon if theres meant to be reading in between the lines of how she died.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    edited June 2018

Sarah would have had a huuuuge problem with the way Maxson is running the BOS.

Strong arming farms, destroying new tech, the general fascist overtones. He's taking a lot of the methods the East Coast Brotherhood used to bolster themselves and applying it towards West Coast ideals that they rejected once they split off.

She would have lead an uprising against him in a split second or never let him taken control. BOS/Maxson loyalists almost certainly killed her in my head canon if theres meant to be reading in between the lines of how she died.

Ugh, people always bring this one up, but strong arming farms? The game makes it super-duper clear that what that dude asks of you is totally against the regs and to keep your mouth shut about it. The problem with that quest is that there is no way to turn him in.

Maxson's policies are straight up derived from Lyons the Senior and Sarah, both of whom taught Maxson everything he knows. His orders are clear; the BoS will trade fairly with the people of the Commonwealth, they will trade tech with them as long as it is not weaponry and that the BoS will provide security for Commonwealth trade routes without expecting anything in return.

Maxson is actually accepting of wastelanders. Sarah was not. She did not trust wastelanders and did not think they should be allowed in the BoS. She thought the BoS should help wastelanders, but that was it.

edit- Hell, he even breaks with tradition and greenlights the development of new and improved tech and medicine. Including a new form of Radaway that could be made available to everyone in large numbers.

Axen on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular

I still use Nexus Mod Manager, which does everything I want with no fuss. The Nexus has a new mod manager (Vortex), but I think it's still in alpha and, therefore, buggy.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I may not agree with Maxon’s policies, but damn he has a way with words. I found myself nodding along with him during a certain quest, despite opposing him.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Midwest Brotherhood is still my favorite.

All the fancy tech and lasers, none of the awkward ghoul or super mutant hate.

• Options
    Protectrons, truly the mudcrabs of Fallout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Eb2CaLmkog

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Bethesda was on the right track trying to bring back more of a sense of moral grayness (especially needed with the BOS) compared to Fallout 3's fairly vanilla good vs evil story, its just a shame their writing wasn't up to the task and the major factions ended all looking like a bunch of over the top douche canoes.

The Brotherhood went from one extreme in 3 to another in 4.

To be fair, the vast extreme was kind of prescient on Bethesdas part...

The past couple years have been sobering in thinking about stories like this where I feel like "why did the writers do this? People/groups don't just wildly swing like that. Gray areas blah blah".

And yet.

Anyway I just restarted FO4 myself and man I forgot how slowly it starts. Not necessarily the gameplay, you can just dive into that I suppose, but even with int and bonuses etc leveling is kind of slow and I'd rather just not play than sit in Sanctuary and build four thousand fence posts to get up to some of the decent perks faster. I could mod it I guess but meh. Also, settlement building before getting supply lines is shit and no.

I just need to level up enough to get the automoton DLC started to just build bots.

Can someone remind me, though; am I correct in remembering outside of some of the power armors in the wild, the leveling of gear in the world in FO4 is pretty generic, right? In that I mean that legendary affixes are set no matter the level, and then there are the tiers of different armor parts, but aside from that everything else is static? I guess what I'm trying to ask is: am I correct in recalling that it doesn't really matter when you do what in FO4 because nothing that is unique (again, aside from a few power armors that are determined by your level) scales anyway?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    I saw a protectron the other day.

Disgusting creatures.

• Options
    "I've fought protectrons more fearsome than you!"

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    You seen those soldiers from the Minutemen? They have laser muskets.

Laser. Muskets.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Oh my god Cass is the best. Ducked down to stealth and she says, "Sssshhh, we're hunting shitheads." Yes. Yes we are.

• Options
    Be sure to recruit Lilly once you get to Jacobstown. Been awhile since I played NV, I still miss her.

I love you, grandma!

• Options
    I forget, the main quest in New Vegas involves meeting all the major-ending factions before actually dedicating to any of them right? House, Yes Man, NCR, and Legion? I got a thing that made the Legion not hate me anymore and I'm supposed to go see Caesar because he knows where Benny is or something (yeah I know, I didn't kill him, I should've).

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Bethesda was on the right track trying to bring back more of a sense of moral grayness (especially needed with the BOS) compared to Fallout 3's fairly vanilla good vs evil story, its just a shame their writing wasn't up to the task and the major factions ended all looking like a bunch of over the top douche canoes.

The Brotherhood went from one extreme in 3 to another in 4.

To be fair, the vast extreme was kind of prescient on Bethesdas part...

The past couple years have been sobering in thinking about stories like this where I feel like "why did the writers do this? People/groups don't just wildly swing like that. Gray areas blah blah".

And yet.

Anyway I just restarted FO4 myself and man I forgot how slowly it starts. Not necessarily the gameplay, you can just dive into that I suppose, but even with int and bonuses etc leveling is kind of slow and I'd rather just not play than sit in Sanctuary and build four thousand fence posts to get up to some of the decent perks faster. I could mod it I guess but meh. Also, settlement building before getting supply lines is shit and no.

I just need to level up enough to get the automoton DLC started to just build bots.

Can someone remind me, though; am I correct in remembering outside of some of the power armors in the wild, the leveling of gear in the world in FO4 is pretty generic, right? In that I mean that legendary affixes are set no matter the level, and then there are the tiers of different armor parts, but aside from that everything else is static? I guess what I'm trying to ask is: am I correct in recalling that it doesn't really matter when you do what in FO4 because nothing that is unique (again, aside from a few power armors that are determined by your level) scales anyway?

I minded the swing less than the way they made the swing happen, which was killing off everybody with a name in FO3's BoS. There have been very many different versions of the BoS, and I'm not one to demand they adhere to a particular form for canon purposes - though it'd be nice - but to make this one happen, they just casually killed off everybody you met in the Capital Wasteland, and then also randomly put everybody in a giant blimp and had them fuck off to Boston. It was a pretty cheap way to have their continuity and also entirely smash it all at once. If they'd said that this was yet ANOTHER long lost branch of the BoS, or if these were rebels from the Capital Wasteland group, or whatever, I'd have found it less insulting. As it is, I find the combination of writers who have stories that don't fit the canon, but also want credit for respecting the canon/the benefits of the canon's name, and so smash the canon to jam it into their story the most odious of combinations possible.

hippofant on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    I forget, the main quest in New Vegas involves meeting all the major-ending factions before actually dedicating to any of them right? House, Yes Man, NCR, and Legion? I got a thing that made the Legion not hate me anymore and I'm supposed to go see Caesar because he knows where Benny is or something (yeah I know, I didn't kill him, I should've).

It's partly due to Benny but also...
    ...because something you need to use the Chip on happens to be on Legion property so the game gives you an pass in case you've cheesed off the Legion prior to that point.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    If you've spent more than one minute with Boone, then, yes, the Legion already hates you.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    and he's shot everything hostile within a kilometer. Radius.

• Options
    Fairchild wrote: »
    If you've spent more than one minute with Boone, then, yes, the Legion already hates you.
    Yeah well. I kinda butchered the Legion guys who burned Nipton up, including the named guy. So they can suck it.

By the way on that note, the assassin squad mods worked. The teams were spread out far apart time-wise, but also when they showed up they didn't have impossible-to-overcome DT or super-strong weapons. They were far from a joke and I had to handle them carefully still, don't get me wrong. But now it feels like it makes sense, rather than fighting something 20 levels above me.

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Yeah well. I kinda butchered the Legion guys who burned Nipton up, including the named guy. So they can suck it.

By the way on that note, the assassin squad mods worked. The teams were spread out far apart time-wise, but also when they showed up they didn't have impossible-to-overcome DT or super-strong weapons. They were far from a joke and I had to handle them carefully still, don't get me wrong. But now it feels like it makes sense, rather than fighting something 20 levels above me.

I feel I should clarify that no, traveling with Boone doesn't actually have any automatic permanent effect on your reputation with the Legion. He'll always initiate combat with Legion members on sight and you'll get infamy for killing a faction member as normal, but that's easy to avoid since you only find Legion members hanging around in a small portion of the map anyway.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I like that when Boone and you decide to team up he straight up says something like "If I see any Legion, I'm gonna start shooting. Got a problem with that?" and I was like "Hell no brother, let's rock and roll".

• Options

I feel I should clarify that no, traveling with Boone doesn't actually have any automatic permanent effect on your reputation with the Legion. He'll always initiate combat with Legion members on sight and you'll get infamy for killing a faction member as normal, but that's easy to avoid since you only find Legion members hanging around in a small portion of the map anyway.
    Oh I know, I'm just saying that before I even met Boone I was hacking at the Legion already.

I got the robot, ED-E or whatever repaired tonight. It's much stronger in combat than I would've thought. And while not a force to be reckoned with by itself, it provides enough support fire for Cass or I to take shit out even faster. And when all three of us focus on something WHEEE.

That said Deathclaws still kill me in like three hits so FUCK.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I really need to finish Fallout 4. Maybe I can find a player home mod that makes things less annoying.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Boone is a killing machine.

I usually just let him handle everything early game while I focus on my speech/lockpicking/medicine/repair/science.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Boone is the second-best videogame companion ever, and that's only because he lacks Samara's special physical qualities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLdZ7u75k1Y

He could possibly be displaced by, say, a Ghoul gunfighter voiced by Danny Trejo.

Oh, wait...

Fairchild on
  • Options
    I dunno if there's much to the character of Boone as a character. He's certainly a slayer-of-all-things but I like having people around for other reasons.

This discussion has been closed.