As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hollow Knight] Sequel: Now has a store page; still no release date

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    I really should start using
    whirlwind
    then, huh

I constantly forget I have it

I do have one question: are there areas that are simply optional or do you end up going through every area for progression eventually?

I think there's one that could be skipped without it causing any real problems for completing the game, but probably only that one.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I really should start using
    whirlwind
    then, huh

I constantly forget I have it

I do have one question: are there areas that are simply optional or do you end up going through every area for progression eventually?

There are entire areas that you never have to set foot in. Some you won't ever find without poking around in some out of the way places.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    So I went into the mines... and then fell down a big hole... and now I see dead people.
    I just found this game's version of the Lordvessel with the Dream Nail, yeah?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    My progression so far has been Crossroads - Greenpath - Fungal wastes "Hey your weapon is crap maybe you should come back later." Npc dialog Then to city of tears
    I killed Soul master and got Deep dive now i have that the claw and dash and i'm at a loss where to go from here.

At that point things are pretty open but there is one zone with quite a few things worth doing.
    If you remember where the friendly mining bug is, just past her there is an elevator that leads to a patch of ground you can break through.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Yeah that's actually exactly what i went for it's the only downward breakable area i could remember and i'm in the progress of clearing it
    I beat the boss after two tries mostly because i needed to rein in my greed the first death was because i had 2 health and i was ambushed by the boss.

• Options
    Soooooo

Who knew bugs could be luchadors?
    That's what Dung Defender was right? Does his badge do anything besides give you fart clouds visually?

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Soooooo

That's what Dung Defender was right? Does his badge do anything besides give you fart clouds visually?
    Poisons enemies, gives bonus flavor dialogue with a couple npcs.

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Soooooo

Don't they teach you kids this in biology anymore?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Soooooo

The fart clouds do decent damage to enemies that sit in them.

• Options
    So i finished Crystal peak and got the upgrade hanging out there.
    So as is the case i'm off to go back to all my remembered "You need Supah dash for this." Areas and i go back to the false knight boss room and i find the boss dead and some other dudes crying over him so i kill them because hunters journal (which has a hilarious morbid entry mind you.) And notice the boss had that essence glowy thing so i hit it with the dream nail and uh.. Ouchmyface.

• Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    After all that hype the White Palace got I was stumped once for a few minutes to get past a hallway of spikes, but then it was over. It's all about finding the right timing.

Guess Meatboy honed my skills.

I just found the path of pain. Wish me luck.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    RollsavagerRollsavager Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    So as is the case i'm off to go back to all my remembered "You need Supah dash for this." Areas and i go back to the false knight boss room and i find the boss dead and some other dudes crying over him so i kill them because hunters journal (which has a hilarious morbid entry mind you.) And notice the boss had that essence glowy thing so i hit it with the dream nail and uh.. Ouchmyface.

That was one of the hardest encounters in the game for me, although it's somewhat possible to cheese it:
    If you stack Fragile Strength, Quick Slash, and Joni's Blessing, you can burn through most of its life without having to worry as much about dodging.

EDIT: I should also add that you can attack the falling rocks to reflect them back at the boss, too.

Rollsavager on
  • Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular

I spent way too much time misunderstanding the use of that item.
    see, i thought i needed to launch the super dash while wallgliding from a vertical surface. So instead of just launching while standing on the platform the designer intended, i tried to wall glide from the, often very short, edge of that platform. It took me like 5 tries to pass the pathway back to the starting village.

I finally realized that i must be missing something after trying, and failing, to superdash through the spiky path in the waterworks and constantly hitting a ledge just before the tunnel.

Guess i ned to try the spiky tunnels in greenpath which i previously deemed impossible to pass...

• Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I had a problem with dashing in the Queen's garden, untill I realised I had the dashmaster equiped,which makes you dash further, but the platforms are not spaced out with that in mind, which meant I kept missing my mark.

So, did the white palace in 30 minutes,could not get past one room in Queens Garden to save my live.

Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    One mask left no soul.
    Oh hey there little Grub i'll free you. IT'S A TRAP

• Options
    So I'm guessing the last movement upgrade you get is the double jump? I don't suppose I could get a spoilerish free hint in what direction to go for it?
    Deepnest? Basin?

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Go down as far as you can, find the cartographer, then head west from there.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    So I'm guessing the last movement upgrade you get is the double jump? I don't suppose I could get a spoilerish free hint in what direction to go for it?
    Deepnest? Basin?

The second one.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    rattletraprattletrap Registered User regular
    I am on the final boss (the real one).
    Any tips for her or just "get better"? I can get her to the stage where the ground falls away and there are only platforms, but it's almost impossible to get damage in at that point.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    rattletrap wrote: »
    Any tips for her or just "get better"? I can get her to the stage where the ground falls away and there are only platforms, but it's almost impossible to get damage in at that point.
    Use magic boosting charms and spam the soul spender that shoots up. You rarely get time to heal anyway.

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    rattletrap wrote: »

Your health regens for her so use life extending charms like lifeblood core and joni's blessing. But yeah it took a while to get used to it. Lots of jumping.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I found a hidden wall behind a grub!
    The introduction of Nosk is legitimately terrifying.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    So I haven't actually played all the way through the game from the beginning in a while. Now that I've got it on the switch I'm doing so. Thought I'd pop into
    the hive

and collect the charm there.

They added a new boss, who quickly obliterated my unprepared ass.

• Options
    Did.. did i just get robbed?
    The Bank lady is not tending her bank anymore.

• Options
    Did.. did i just get robbed?
    The Bank lady is not tending her bank anymore.

Yup. There's a way to get revenge & your money back though.
    You'll need a simple key. There's a door in the City of Tears in one of the outside areas that leads into a hot spring area, and she'll be in there

• Options
    rattletraprattletrap Registered User regular
    OK final final boss beaten.
    Despite all the good advice here, I couldn't get a blue-mask strategy to work as I am just not good enough at dodging. I ended up using a speed build - quick focus (+ grubsong and the extra soul upon strike charm) to allow me to heal in the gaps, and quick slash / steady stance to allow me to hit her as much as possible whenever there was an opening.

The final fight is tough, but more or less fair. I think the most frustrating thing is having to re-do the hollow knight every try, although I can now beat him without getting hit.

I was working off a save from before the Grimm Troupe came out (I got to the White Palace, got frustrated, and put it aside for a few months) so I still have plenty more of the game to experience. When the final DLC comes out I'll do one last run to see all the content.

• Options
    Got my geo back i probably should have known something fishy was up after it only let me put in a small amount total.
    What am i to do with all this Geo anyway i have over 30,000 and none of the vendors i have found have anything.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Got my geo back i probably should have known something fishy was up after it only let me put in a small amount total.
    What am i to do with all this Geo anyway i have over 30,000 and none of the vendors i have found have anything.
    Have you started the Grimm Troupe content? There's a vendor there that has a useful, but massive geo sink to do.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Finally reached my first dreamer, and the game had a nice swerve for me.
    So I realized by Crystal Peak Quirrel's "hat" was actually a mask, and when I tried to figure out where'd I'd seen it before I realized it was staring me in the face on the map - The Teacher.

Lo to my surprise he not only helps me with the boss fight in the Teacher's place, he even gives me his blessing to take his boss' life. I thought for sure he'd turn out to be a boss (though maybe he still can, I guess).

There were no secrets inside that area besides the various lore things to read, right?

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Holy, fuck the Hive Knight

Edit: Huzzah! The Law Of Complaining About It On The Internet comes through again!

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Now that my nail is as powerful as it can be (I think. It's called Pure nail now) i returned to the poop land and avenged my dishonor against the Flukemarm (My first attempt at it was with the base nail and ended up with my panic dashing out of the room while six hundred of her adds chased me.)

• Options
    whoops finally lost geo after 20 something hours

goodbye 8k

• Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular

goodbye 8k

What did you in?

• Options
    shadowane wrote: »

goodbye 8k

What did you in?

I was doing this warrior spirit in the queen's garden, not paying attention and didn't realize until AFTER I started the fight that my shade was trapped outside the arena. and then I just played poorly. whoops

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Just wanted to say Nosk is God damn terrifying.
    It was actually kind of a relief when it turned into a monster spider

• Options
    Road Block wrote: »
    Just wanted to say Nosk is God damn terrifying.
    It was actually kind of a relief when it turned into a monster spider

Yeah that entire sequence is spooky as fuck.

• Options
    This game really is a gem. Fun gameplay, awesome art, wonderful story and setting. The lore might be my favorite part. So beautiful and somber.

Major story spoiler:
    The sequence when you've seized the complete Kingsoul and gone to the Birthplace... when you're ascending out of the Abyss, echoing with the words of the Pale King, and the music...

My goodness, it's perfect. So horribly, sorrowfully beautiful. Brave little beetle knight person... *sniff*

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    I have no idea what to do now. I have all the Vessels and all the Mask upgrades. Beat the Trial of the fool and
    Killed all the Dream bosses and then the Moth guy who gave me the dream nail exploded into light and i have half of a charm from the queen and i killed all the dreamers and the end boss is open i believe but this charm half really has me curious like it seems important and if i don't finish it i'll get a bad ending.

• Options
    I have no idea what to do now. I have all the Vessels and all the Mask upgrades. Beat the Trial of the fool and
    Killed all the Dream bosses and then the Moth guy who gave me the dream nail exploded into light and i have half of a charm from the queen and i killed all the dreamers and the end boss is open i believe but this charm half really has me curious like it seems important and if i don't finish it i'll get a bad ending.
    Seek out the White Palace.

Also just FYI - you can finish the game now and then reload from your last save to continue. You can get all the endings this way, but unlocking the 2nd and 3rd endings will prevent you from getting the 1st.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    So how do you access the Grimm Troop content? I'm getting pretty close to the end but I still haven't stumbled upon the trigger for it.