As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Yes, the Persona Thread is the means by which all is revealed - P4G now on PC!

AshcroftAshcroft LOLThe PayloadRegistered User regular
edited June 2020 in Social Entropy++
PpPQxHr.jpg The first card, numbered 0, is The Fool. It represents the beginning and suggests infinite possibilities.

QiizPIpm.jpg?1 The next card, The Magician, represents action and initiative... but also immaturity.

MY3cESK.jpg The Priestess represents contemplation and inner knowledge.

CLSSYxZ.jpg The Empress represents motherhood and the life it brings forth.

ZM2qcFRm.jpg The Emperor is an opposing card. It represents fathering and relates to leadership and decision-making skills.

d0rPXtg.jpg The Hierophant represents formality and knowledge, and stands for religion.

GadPLMq.jpg The Lovers card represents choice. Here, the individual's consciousness has finally surfaced.

6qVbIGK.jpg The Chariot represents victory for the individual, but only a momentary one.

MLVgqKO.png Justice represents knowledge of what is right, and what is wrong.

oPyioxxm.jpg The Hermit represents the individual's search for answers by looking inward, deep inside their heart.

1wKnICE.jpg Fortune represents fate, and the opportunities that come with it.

wXDqxJq.jpg?1 Strength represents both passion and self-control. It is depicted as power with reason.

KFtHVem.jpg The Hanged Man reflects the individual's inability to take action.

3BCgrzH.jpg Spiritual death awaits the individual with the 13th card, which is aptly named Death. Death is considered a transitional card... The old ends, and the new begins.

Now, let's continue along the path, following the transition.

0SPYLUu.jpg Temperance is the balancing of opposites. Opening their eyes to the world allows the individual to grow...

qU2mPw9.jpg And as The Devil represents, they then face temptation...

H01Vy4V.png At The Tower, their values collapse on them. It seems as if they no longer have anything to believe in, but...

wiyo0hq.jpg ...they then find a glimmer of hope, represented by The Star, and they are suffused with a serene calm.

D2ZwtbJ.jpg?1 This bliss makes them vulnerable to the illusions of The Moon. Fears arise, and they follow the dim path in their heart with trepidation...

rPlJvK7.png But they are rewarded with a bright future, represented by The Sun, which signifies true achievement.

BoCZgZr.jpg Judgement awaits the individual at the end of their journey, as they look back on the path they have traveled.

710uUbr.jpgThe final card is The World, which represents the individual's full awareness of their place in the world.

ZD98Zka.png
Ashcroft on

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I should start my new game + of P5

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Okay so assume i'm a total doofus and just bought persona 5

and that i've never played persona before and never watched anyone else play persona

what are some beginner tips for this video game, without any spoilers

I've already talked 2 monsters into joining my team and fused them into incubus???? this game is weird

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Okay so assume i'm a total doofus and just bought persona 5

and that i've never played persona before and never watched anyone else play persona

what are some beginner tips for this video game, without any spoilers

I've already talked 2 monsters into joining my team and fused them into incubus???? this game is weird

Without any spoilers: Combat is all about chaining attacks by exploiting enemy weaknesses. Learn enemy weaknesses and for goodness' sake also be aware of the weaknesses of the persona that your team uses.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    General Persona Tips for the New Player:

In my experience, the biggest thing that freaks new players out is the almost overwhelming amount of stuff the game throws at you in regards to how you will spend your time each day. While there are certainly spoiler free guides out there that walk you through how to see everything/max every confidant (Confidants are the social sim aspect of the game, NPCs and party members that you can spend time with to build a relationship with/date), I personally found the strict, day by day guideline of what exactly you have to do pretty off putting. Persona 5 is also the easiest game in the series when it comes to maxing out confidants/social links, I found myself maxing all but 1 on my first playthrough without really trying, but that is definitely an option to look into if you really want to see all the content in one playthrough and don't mind following a guide (googling "Persona 5 Spoiler Free Max Confidant Guide" will get you to it). In general though, just hang out with whoever you want and have fun.

When hanging out with a confidant try to have a Persona of the same arcana to get bonus friendship points so you can level up faster. I can't remember if it has to be equipped or you just need it in your party; the game will make it clear if you are getting the bonus though. There are some exceptions to this, namely the moon confidant who levels up each time you hang out.

Ideally you will finish each "section" of a dungeon in a single day, so that you have more time for what is truly important: bullshitting around with all your dumb friends. Some dungeons have forced stops that kick you out automatically. Remember that sending a calling card (the game will explain what this is in a bit if you haven't gotten to it yet) takes up two days: 1 afternoon+evening to send the card, then the next day you will go into the palace automatically.

SP (the mana you use to cast spells) is your most valuable resource in dungeons, healing spells and items are very common, but SP restore is much rarer. Buying SP drinks from the vending machine in the school courtyard and in front of the school each week helps out a lot in the early game before you become stupidly OP.

Don't get to attached to any one Persona (unless you really want to, of course), you will be fusing them together a lot. Remember that elemental weakness is the most important thing in the game, combat wise, so try to have enough elemental skills spread around your MC's persona to hit every type of weakness. A good physical AOE Persona is also nice to have since SP management can get really annoying. Remember to update Personas in the compendium if they learn a new skill that you want to keep on them for fusing purposes. Compendium costs go up the higher a persona's level is, so generally don't update a persona if it hasn't learned a new skill that you care about or you are just using it as fusion fodder or to boost confidant points.

Speaking of fusing, you will be doing a whole lot of fusing and rebuying Personas from the compendium; this is where the majority of your Yen will go to. Weapons and armor aren't nearly as important; you can generally get buy with what you find in dungeons and just occasionally buy new gear when you feel like it/someone really needs it.

Stats! Not for combat, but your character has social stats that you can see in the menu. Some confidants are locked behind certain stat levels, so leveling these up is important. In general, this is what you're going to be doing at night, either by doing stuff in your room or going out and taking a bath with old men or whatever. Some stat boosts are more efficient than others, bathing on a rainy night gives a bigger boost than normal, for example (at least I think it does, it's been a while and I can't remember the exact trigger). Every saturday you can buy a weird smoothie thing from a stand in Shibuya station that gives a huge stat boost to a certain stat; this can really help out since its a free action (in that it doesn't take time so you can still do something else that day).

Uh, that's all I can think of for now. The game can be kinda overwhelming, but as long as you just have fun with it and don't worry about being perfectly efficient it's a pretty good time.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    What's the blue-eyes white dragon represent though

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Some good early confidants to prioritize would be Sun (guaranteed rank-up every time you hang out with them, makes monster negotiation easier) and Death (access to regen items that help in places). Temperance is also good since she gives you more uptime to do things but she takes a lot of money to get going.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Don't underestimate the Lucky Punch type abilities that do low damage but have a high chance to crit. There will be enemies who have no elemental weaknesses to exploit but a crit will knock down anybody, even bosses! This then allows you to try and get some of the harder-to-nab enemies into your party. Or just do an All-Out Attack to wipe them out.

The Compendium is love, the Compendium is life. With it you can "save" the current state of a particular Persona so that after you fuse it away into something else you can, for a nominal fee, purchase that state from the Compendium again. To either put back in your party or fuse into something else.

Speaking of fusions, fuse early and often every time you gain a level or two. Keeping a stable of rounded Personas will benefit you in dungeons by allowing you to draw on more resources. Some Personas you can only get through fusion too, so don't be afraid to chuck everyone into the execution chamber after you save a copy in the Compendium.

Oh, and with fusions, the stat ups tend to be somewhat randomly spread out. The spread changes each time you exit out of the screen showing which stats will improve, so if you're making a mage-type Persona you can play with the stats until only the ones beneficial to magic are showing. Same deal with physical-type Personas.

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular

$$$Cash Money

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular

The inevitability of micro-transactions?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Here's the best persona 5 specific tips I can think of beyond the basics described in the earlier posts. These are basically useful confidants to level that you wouldn't immediately realize can have a huge benefit to you. I'll spoiler them just in case you don't want this kind of tip.
    Get the death confidant to 7 as soon as possible so you can buy cheap SP recovery accessories and stay in dungeons longer, allowing you to get from 2-3 days per palace down to 1 pretty easily. Tae is cool anyways so you'll probably want to. It's good to spend as many days outside of dungeons as you possibly can so that you can spend more time with your friends. She's available every day except Sunday early on I think?

Get the fortune confidant to rank 7 when she becomes available in like June or July. This allows her to let you advance progress toward new ranks with your confidants without having to spend time with them. You'll still have to visit them to get the rank up, but you won't have those days at higher ranks where you spend time and nothing fucking happens UGH. This confidant has a pretty steep buy-in to start, but you'll eventually get the money back. It's worth it.

Get the sun confidant to rank 2, which allows you to repeatedly demand more money during a holdup, which can be super useful if you need more cash (which you ALWAYS do). To get him, you'll have to talk to the politician in the central square while he's giving a speech, then work at the beef bowl shop until he comes in. If you get all the orders right while he's there, he'll be impressed with you and let you work for him. He's only available on Sundays (get it, because he's Sun arcana?) but he'll always advance, so no need to keep a Sun persona with you. The rank 2 ability is particularly useful in the third palace, where the High Pixie enemy mainly just heals herself and tries to put you to sleep. If your demand for cash fails, she'll just summon another pixie that doesn't really hurt you, so it's easy to keep knocking them down and have a constant stream of enemies to rob.

• Options
    ph blake wrote: »
    General Persona Tips for the New Player:

In my experience, the biggest thing that freaks new players out is the almost overwhelming amount of stuff the game throws at you in regards to how you will spend your time each day.
    While there are certainly spoiler free guides out there that walk you through how to see everything/max every confidant (Confidants are the social sim aspect of the game, NPCs and party members that you can spend time with to build a relationship with/date), I personally found the strict, day by day guideline of what exactly you have to do pretty off putting. Persona 5 is also the easiest game in the series when it comes to maxing out confidants/social links, I found myself maxing all but 1 on my first playthrough without really trying, but that is definitely an option to look into if you really want to see all the content in one playthrough and don't mind following a guide (googling "Persona 5 Spoiler Free Max Confidant Guide" will get you to it). In general though, just hang out with whoever you want and have fun.

When hanging out with a confidant try to have a Persona of the same arcana to get bonus friendship points so you can level up faster. I can't remember if it has to be equipped or you just need it in your party; the game will make it clear if you are getting the bonus though. There are some exceptions to this, namely the moon confidant who levels up each time you hang out.

Ideally you will finish each "section" of a dungeon in a single day, so that you have more time for what is truly important: bullshitting around with all your dumb friends. Some dungeons have forced stops that kick you out automatically. Remember that sending a calling card (the game will explain what this is in a bit if you haven't gotten to it yet) takes up two days: 1 afternoon+evening to send the card, then the next day you will go into the palace automatically.

SP (the mana you use to cast spells) is your most valuable resource in dungeons, healing spells and items are very common, but SP restore is much rarer. Buying SP drinks from the vending machine in the school courtyard and in front of the school each week helps out a lot in the early game before you become stupidly OP.

Don't get to attached to any one Persona (unless you really want to, of course), you will be fusing them together a lot. Remember that elemental weakness is the most important thing in the game, combat wise, so try to have enough elemental skills spread around your MC's persona to hit every type of weakness. A good physical AOE Persona is also nice to have since SP management can get really annoying. Remember to update Personas in the compendium if they learn a new skill that you want to keep on them for fusing purposes. Compendium costs go up the higher a persona's level is, so generally don't update a persona if it hasn't learned a new skill that you care about or you are just using it as fusion fodder or to boost confidant points.

Speaking of fusing, you will be doing a whole lot of fusing and rebuying Personas from the compendium; this is where the majority of your Yen will go to. Weapons and armor aren't nearly as important; you can generally get buy with what you find in dungeons and just occasionally buy new gear when you feel like it/someone really needs it.

Stats! Not for combat, but your character has social stats that you can see in the menu. Some confidants are locked behind certain stat levels, so leveling these up is important. In general, this is what you're going to be doing at night, either by doing stuff in your room or going out and taking a bath with old men or whatever. Some stat boosts are more efficient than others, bathing on a rainy night gives a bigger boost than normal, for example (at least I think it does, it's been a while and I can't remember the exact trigger). Every saturday you can buy a weird smoothie thing from a stand in Shibuya station that gives a huge stat boost to a certain stat; this can really help out since its a free action (in that it doesn't take time so you can still do something else that day).

Uh, that's all I can think of for now. The game can be kinda overwhelming, but as long as you just have fun with it and don't worry about being perfectly efficient it's a pretty good time.

I deeply appreciate you leading with this sentence and then giving me an essay

• Options
    Really just don't stress out too much about doing EVERYTHING, that's what new game plus is for if you decide you like it.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    SMT/Persona is prettttty much the only series I've played where buff/debuff skills are actually important

Keep an eye on those

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    ^ that's the number one advice i would give

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    SMT/Persona is prettttty much the only series I've played where buff/debuff skills are actually important

Keep an eye on those

Don't worry i'm all about debuffs after playing Granblue for a year and a half

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, another thing to keep in mind is that every Persona has a level cap. Some early game Personas may only be able to go to Level 12 or something like that. So don't be afraid to completely wreck your current team in the execution chamber if it means getting some higher-leveled stuff.

Speaking of fusion, I don't think I mentioned this but when you fuse two Personas together you can inherit the skills they have. So even if one Persona is a cornerstone of your team chances are you can take the one or two abilities they have and pass them forward to a newer, stronger Persona. So again, fuse at will, most it'll cost is some money if you need to resummon a Persona you used for fodder.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Don't worry about doing everything

That said, having a persona of the same type when you are spending time with a S-Link character is important for speeding up S-Link progress

Also, don't trust cops, but that's not really specific to Persona

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    ABF

A Always
    B Be
    F Fusing

Always Be Fusing

ALWAYS BE FUSING

also buffs and debuffs are life and love

also also if you really want to get through a lot of a dungeon in a single day, focus the MC more on physicals and angle your party that way too, SP scarcity is the main factor that'll make you have to leave for the day

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    ABF

A Always
    B Be
    F Fusing

Always Be Fusing

ALWAYS BE FUSING

also buffs and debuffs are life and love

also also if you really want to get through a lot of a dungeon in a single day, focus the MC more on physicals and angle your party that way too, SP scarcity is the main factor that'll make you have to leave for the day

spoken like someone that didn't date a doctor

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Persona 5 was and is my only persona experience.

Just play, watch elements and debuffs. Don't worry about doing everything.

Also. Fuck the haters. RYUJI IS AWESOME!

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    There isn't a single Persona 1 or 2 character in the OP. Even more proof they never happened. :P

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2018
    I will second... Third? Leveling up The Doc as soon as possible. It goes pretty quick and those SP regen items are priceless.

Ryuji is divisive as a character but his physical damage is really important.

BIG thing you may not know if you've never played a Persona game..

IF JOKER FALLS TO ZERO HP ITS GAME OVER.

You don't get to revive him after or anything. His death is end of the fight.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    persona 5 tips:

date every lady
    get a null physical persona asap
    don't waste a lot of time with sojiro's confidant links early in the game
    get a persona with a gun ability asap
    always have two party members with healing magic (even if one of them is joker)

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Persona 5 Tips:
    Fortune is the most important Confidant in the game.
    Sun auto-rates up, is locked behind doing a job twice (Beef Bowl Shop), and must be completed before mid November.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Persona 5 tips:

Name your character Lord McNasty

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Persona 5 tips:

I fucked up.

I didn't do this and it would've made things better.

rhylith on
  • Options
    Persona 5 tips:

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    Still very happy I used the name Hanzo Main.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    I used Player One

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    first game: tad ghoastal
    ng+: chad ghoastal

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I always associated Elizabeth with the Death arcana, because she's the living embodiment.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Somebody I follow on twitter used the name "Gunplay Yokoi" which is fucking inspired.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    My name is Chipotle Aioli

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    that's Oscar Wilde, guys

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    "Fuck Yu" is a my favorite

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I'm coming to the end of my first playthrough and I'm worried that I'm not gonna get everything done. I'm not even really sure where I messed up, but I don't think I'll max out all 5 stats by the end, and won't be able to get every mementos quest done, which is worrying. I'm still missing 3 confidant ones, I think. I don't see how on earth its possible to max out all 21 social links in a single run.

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    jaziek wrote: »
    I'm coming to the end of my first playthrough and I'm worried that I'm not gonna get everything done. I'm not even really sure where I messed up, but I don't think I'll max out all 5 stats by the end, and won't be able to get every mementos quest done, which is worrying. I'm still missing 3 confidant ones, I think. I don't see how on earth its possible to max out all 21 social links in a single run.

You have to be extremely precise and do the optimal thing almost every single day

It's nearly impossible without a guide