As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars: Legion] Begun the Clone Wars have.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I hate Ewoks pretty hard but that part always catches me right in the feels.

I'm doing my first Organized Play thing tonight! I'm not taking any of my snowtroopers because I don't even have them cleaned & primed yet. Plus with my 3rd stormtrooper squad finished last night I now have 800+pts (with options) of Empire fully painted.

Hopefully more than 2 people show.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    Good luck!

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    There end up being 6 people but we ended up pairing off into 2 games of 1v2 with the team side fielding a single 800pt army and just splitting up the units. 1 guy had just come to learn and so had no minis so I suggested the 1v2s since I've played a ton and then I could primarily just teach and everyone could play (space was a little tight too).

It worked out really well and was super fun.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Went to the other game store after work just now and got two squads of Snowtroopers. Lady also gave me two of the official printed reference sheets that LGSs got at Legion launch to hand out. Pre-ordered a Leia and Fleet Troopers since they sound like they are going to be in high demand. The second store was getting ready to spin up Legion nights since the game's popularity is apparently building very quickly.

My current dilemma. Do I paint the Snowtroopers as standard or like these that I saw and really like the contrast.

snowtroopers.thumb.jpg.c2b93e58112752ac40c1d2e53ba1c030.jpg

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Wow. These Snowtrooper models are very nice. They all have holsters unlike the stormtrooper rank and file, which I found slightly annoying at their absence since they all have them in the movies.

I want to figure out how to give the squad leaders officer rank badges like the one in ESB who is reporting to Veers in the AT-AT. The strap for the electrobinoculars is in the way though. Maybe I'll remove one.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I've been waffling between painting my snowtroopers in the standard scheme or painting them to match Veers - gray fatigues and german uniform green armor - and then applying a whitewash effect to the armor like WWII German tanks in winter.

Looking at that photo I think that just stealing that scheme is the way to go.

• Options
    I've been waffling between painting my snowtroopers in the standard scheme or painting them to match Veers - gray fatigues and german uniform green armor - and then applying a whitewash effect to the armor like WWII German tanks in winter.

Looking at that photo I think that just stealing that scheme is the way to go.

The upgrade card for the ion rifle guy actually is in that color scheme. Probably why the person painted that ion guy that way. I think it looks cool!

• Options
    Okay the experimental snowtrooper test model is drying. Needs some cleanup but I like the contrast of the white armor to the dark grey fabric. Also looks good next to Veers as I kept the grey the same shade of his uniform.

• Options
    Okay. I painted a snowtrooper in standard colors. I had a slightly yellowish white paint I used for the fabric then highlighted lightly with white. Not nearly as brown or dark as the FFG models. Whoops. It looks better to me than the alternate colors and now I'm just doing them all default.

• Options
    Update: Second Squad is nearing completion.

For ease of squad designation for the Imperials I've painted a white vertical bar on the back of the bases and am using a tiny sharpie to write an Aurebesh letter on it for each squad. Alpha Squad, Beta Squad, ect.

Rebels will get a colored stripe, so Red Squad, Blue Squad, Gold Squad.

• Options
    Pictures now. First squad is done. Second squad's bases are almost done. Second picture shows my idea for the squad designations. I really like the snowtrooper models.

4ckll1lzeeli.jpg
    15zpjoxyrg4o.jpg

• Options
    canuckontcanuckont Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I only really dislike the scarf on the mouth. It's always looked weird to me.

I'd rather just normal stormtrooper heads but they look awesome.

canuckont on
    I saw a kid get handed a JB poster by who I presume was his parents outside my store today....he tore it in half infront of his horrified parents.....There's hope for our youth yet!
  • Options
    Update. I have finished everything. Just in time to pick up my Fleet Troopers and Leia tomorrow!

Picks of the ground troops minus AT-ST and Airspeeder. Shows off the squad designations on the back of the bases.

694hagik95wz.jpg
    xcmgk7udcxbo.jpg

Imperials. Snowtroopers are squad A and B. Stormtroopers are 1,2,3, and 4. Speederbikes are X, Y, and Z. Veers and Vader say Veers and Vader. Squad Leaders are designated by an Aurebesh "L"

d2hnlvbpw7t0.jpg
    nfq5doflmof7.jpg
    Rebels. Troopers are Red Squad, Blue Squad, Green Squad, and Gold Squad. Color stripe on helmets as well as colored letter on base. Luke says Luke.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Can I come over to play? <3

• Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    @timspork's ghost After I aquire ridiculous amounts of money, how much do I need to pay you to keep you on hand as my personal painter?

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    Nax wrote: »
    @timspork's ghost After I aquire ridiculous amounts of money, how much do I need to pay you to keep you on hand as my personal painter?

We’ll work something out <3

• Options
    edited May 2018
    So I’m thinking of getting the Imperial Assault Han model since the Legion one looks bad. He seems pretty close to scale. Might just straighten his legs a bit.

*edit* I bought one when I got my fleet troopers and Leia. Didn't even have to modify him. Just glued his base right on top of the spare legion base from my 2nd core set's Vader. The IA base is slightly smaller diameter than the Legion bases. He looks the correct height next to Luke and Leia if they all stood up straight.

Also the fleet trooper models are really good. They hid the mold lines so they don't go over the tops of the helmets. I've been super impressed with all the releases since the core. They are clearly designed far better than the core stuff and that stuff was already pretty good.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    Played a game today.

I had a cheap Luke, Leia, Four kitted Rebel Troopers with the miniguns and grenades, and two Fleet Troopers with grenade launchers.

He had Darth Vader, Veers, one Snowtrooper, Two Stormtroopers, AT-ST, one Speeder Bike Squad.

I made some bad mistakes, like running two squads with impact grenades and Luke at the AT-ST. Luke and Leia both got killed.

However I smoked all his troop squads and ended up winning on objective points since I pulled me people back to keep them alive and on points to either control them or to deny my opponent control. If I'd done that from the start I'd have done even better.

Lot of troop squads are very good. Fleet troopers put out a shitton of dice. Speeder Bikes are very powerful.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    What color did you prime those guys, @timspork's ghost

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    Hey, I play this and I kinda forgot we have a tabletop games forum. Is everybody over it or should we rap about a star war

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    This game is super good and I'm surprised more people aren't talking about it.

My only real complaint is that the reality of it being a new game means list variety is relatively tiny. A lot of my games tend to feel samey. But that will get better with time.

I'm excited for battle droids.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    What color did you prime those guys, "timspork's ghost"

Stormtroopers I primed white, everything else I primed grey except for Vader and the vehicles, which were primed black.

I like the game, but I fell off of painting stuff and haven't picked up anything new since the fleet troopers and Leia. It is too cold out to prime now.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited January 2019
    I just picked up Boba Fett last night. I'm excited to try him out, but I'm a little bummed running him basically requires you to field Veers.

E: new heavy transports just announced. Tank for imperials, landspeeder for rebels. Tank can transport an entire unit, speeder can only hold one model.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/1/14/heavy-hitter/

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/1/14/rebel-ingenuity/

Hopefully they'll see a little more play than the exisiting vehicles.

Knob on
  • Options
    Boba Fett is super fun to play

• Options
    Just got two of the core sets when it was on sale on Amazon. Looks like a lot of fun.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    LGS finally got a Veers, so I was able to play a few games without Vader. Mainly have been playing 400-500 point games against my son and occasional full 800 at the store.

Let me tell you, Vader is really fun, but having over half of your points tied up in one model kinda sucks. Played a 500 point game against the boy last night and got to bring a reasonable amount of activations and try out a couple units I just hadn't been using because of the Vader point squeeze.

Veers - As mentioned, the real value in this guy is just freeing up points to get more bodies on the table. He also brings a little more flexibility to your movement. I didnt have to take as many compromises or risks with keeping troops in his command radius like I do with Vader. I was slightly concerned about only having 2 courage to work with but between Inspire and his 3-pip card, supression was really easy to manage. His command cards are decent, but really lend themselves to specific lists. I didn't bring vehicles, so his 2-pip was essentially blank. 3-pip was good for clearing suppression. It could be wildly crushing if you've taken a lot of exhaustible upgrades. It gave me 2 consecutive turns of HQ Uplink on an e-web which was ok, I guess. 1-pip is brainless. Turn 1, nuke their command. Its what you do. Handing out aim tokens like candy was great for action economy as well. Lotta grunts survived due to having an action free to dodge.

Scout strike team w/sniper - I fielded one and it was decent. I think 2 or 3 teams is where the snipers start to shine, though. They were reliably picking off a model a turn, but the suppression was what was really key. Tacking on extra suppression to units who were already taking fire from my front lines was crushing. If I'd had a second unit of these cats, I would have been stealing actions left and right. Haven't played them with Boba Fett, but there's a natural synergy with the sniper being able to score an easy and safe wound against a commander to turn on Fett's Hunter upgrade.

E-Web - ...its okay, I guess? It bumbles around early not doing much and then you dig it in to overwatch a zone and it does that. My opponent said fuck it, walked into its standby area, took a couple wounds, and then splattered it with return fire. The most important thing it did all game was screen Veers from Leia's orbital bombardment turn 1.

Snowtroopers - the one downside to leaving Vader off the table. My snowies went from psychotic explosive harbingers of doom who break the table in half to...some extra troopers. Without Vader's 2-pip combo it becomes extremely difficult for them to safely get inside range-1 of something without heavy casualties.

Knob on
  • Options
    If I have one problem with the overall game design it's that it puts too much importance on number of activations.

As someone who likes having armies that are smaller model counts of stronger units, I'm not crazy about how in the meta having more activations is king.

Doesn't help that there's only a handful of mission types and the majority of them favour having lots of troops.

• Options
    At a full 800 point list Vader or Palpatine are certainly usable, but for small skirmish games you're just giving up too much. I kind of agree that lists wind up being homogenous since you basically need to take one big setpiece and then troopers for the rest. Imperials have all this cool shit like bikes, at-st, boba fett, vader, palpatine...but you really only get to realistically field one of them at a time. And on top of that, the heavy vehicles being inneffective point sinks kind of limits your choices even further.

Two things I'd like to see in the game:

-A wider assortment of conditions and scenarios that aren't so heavily reliant on going wide with trooper activations.

-The DLT needs to lose Impact. Imperials having access to a cheap, long range Impact weapon that moves and shoots while throwing red dice and is attached to its most prolific troop unit is like 80% of the reason vehicles aren't worth their point cost at the moment. DLT stormies are one of my favorite units, but they're kinda unfair.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Another thing they could do is somehow tie command tokens to specific units instead of unit type. One of the less talked about advantages of taking a commander + a mess of corps troops is you get 100% control of your activations every turn regardless of command card or command radius. Issue an order to your commander and then your order pool has no randomness to it at all. You'll always pull a corps token, which means your entire force essentially has an active order.

Palpatine's 3-pip card seems wildly powerful, and then you play against a guy who is just doing the same effect for free every turn.

Knob on
  • Options
    This game is fun! Not sure why it requires all weapons of the same name to target the same unit, but I haven't house ruled the other way to find out how it would be otherwise.

• Options
    Ease of bookkeeping and speed of play mainly.

• Options
    novaspikenovaspike Registered User regular
    Hey everyone, I've played the starter demo game and loved it and I'm trying to learn a bit more as I jump further in.

I don't think I've seen anything about it yet, but are there terrain types and density suggestions anywhere (like the main rules or in a tournament pack?)

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Good, maybe now @Extreaminatus will finally get serious about playing this with me.

Because this game is super fun.

• Options
    I love Phase 1 clones but i don't think I can paint white ever again after all the stormtroopers. Plus droid would be ridiculously easy. Spray paint tan then give them a wash.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    it is going to be incredibly difficult for me to resist droidekas and grevious.
    those sculpts are very cool

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    I love Phase 1 clones but i don't think I can paint white ever again after all the stormtroopers. Plus droid would be ridiculously easy. Spray paint tan then give them a wash.

can always paint spray the clonetroopers white and then wash them too.
    If you dont care about making them look too good (i.e.e bare minimum tabletop quality) it might be possible to get all the core units for both sides done in a day.

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Good, maybe now @Extreaminatus will finally get serious about playing this with me.

Because this game is super fun.

If the droids are more fun to paint than Stormtroopers, I just might! After I finish my 30k stuff for NoVA. And if this comes out before the new Slaanesh models are released.

Who am I kidding? I'm going to buy this as soon as I can and start painting those droids and say "Roger roger" every time one is finished.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    The problem is I will quickly fall down a lore hole if they do phase 2 clones as I would get the 7th Sky Corps iconography Or the 327th Star Corps so they have the correct markings for each

This problem has prevented me from getting the Bandai kit as I really did spend hours looking for the correct yellow

• Options
    I am finally painting these Rebel Fleet Troopers and Leia.