As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BattleBots] - A New Dawn in the East: King of Bots

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    At the start of the 2016 season I was all "Blacksmith is awesome!" but by the end of it I was all "Minotaur is god"

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    here's some of the damage from that sawblaze/overhaul fight:
    wfg0lk5bnbts.png

clean through the steel and into the motor

sawblaze might be my new favorite (maybe not to win, but what fun!)

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Is it too early to start talking about matches we want to see?
    Cause I would love to see Double Jeopardy v Tombstone.

Not because I think DJ would have a chance, but I just want to see what happens when that 5 pound slug is fast pitched right at Tombstones' spinner.

edited May 2018
    Deadpool-style cleaving in half of the slug is the only acceptable answer

Rius on
    Rius wrote: »
    Deadpool-style cleaving in half of the slug is the only acceptable answer

I think I'd also accept "Sent ricocheting around the box with sufficient velocity to cause at least one judge to lose bladder control".
    But that's just me.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    kaid wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »
    hawkbox wrote: »
    Have to admit it was awesome watching Hypershock get disemboweled. So where are the Bite Force haters these days?

the bite force haters are from the 2015 incarnation of the bot that didn't have an effective weapon and was basically a brick bot

they put a nasty spinner on it, all is forgiven

This is what always puzzled me why more of the old brick bots did not use those small compact vertical spinners. It goes well with their armor and those spinners pack a crap ton of force so are highly effective offensive weapons.

waste of weight

if your league allows bricks, then you spend all your weight on armor and the batteries/motors to go fast another motor and a weapon just means you go slower, and can't beat out a brick with 30lbs more armor

Also, point of failure. An undamaged brick will get more points than an undamaged brick with a broken spinner trailing a drive chain out the hole. See: 2016 bite force vs. chomp.

see317 wrote: »

Not because I think DJ would have a chance, but I just want to see what happens when that 5 pound slug is fast pitched right at Tombstones' spinner.

I think it's too high and will sail over tombstone. Icewave is higher, and if it sails over the blade it might hit that gas engine and that's got to do something.

edited May 2018
    Hevach wrote: »

I think it's too high and will sail over tombstone. Icewave is higher, and if it sails over the blade it might hit that gas engine and that's got to do something.

Probably, but I'd hope that Tombstone's driver would start inverted and/or adjust the blade height to correspond to the expected projectile trajectory, because he seems like the kind of person who would get a kick out of seeing what might happen.

Edit: But really, I'd be cool with seeing that slug get bounced off any of the big spinners this season.

see317 on
    edited May 2018
    I may be overestimating the height on that bot, since we haven't seen them together, but when I say sail over, I mean right over Tombstone entirely, inverted or not. It's a bulky bot and the gun is mounted on top.

That's why my dream matchup is them vs. Icewave. Still a chance to see the bullet hit the spinner, but the fight as a whole won't be quite so one sided. Icewave is tall for a horizontal blade spinner, its most vulnerable point is probably its engine and it's right in the line of fire, and we've seen it flip over from its own energy if it's thrown off balance, so DJ has a chance of winning. DJ can't use the wedge-flip that we've seen it lose to before, though, so if the gun doesn't do it, then it's just a matter of how long it can keep moving while Icewave disassembles it.

Hevach on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    For that cannon to work well you'd have to custom engineer the ammo into something armor piercing basically. Like way smaller barrel diameter, add a vacuum pump to get the muzzle velocity up etc.

But by the time you do all that, you're probably in the realm of seriously endangering spectators. It's just not a viable weapon.

I may be overestimating the height on that bot, since we haven't seen them together, but when I say sail over, I mean right over Tombstone entirely, inverted or not. It's a bulky bot and the gun is mounted on top.

That's why my dream matchup is them vs. Icewave. Still a chance to see the bullet hit the spinner, but the fight as a whole won't be quite so one sided. Icewave is tall for a horizontal blade spinner, its most vulnerable point is probably its engine and it's right in the line of fire, and we've seen it flip over from its own energy if it's thrown off balance, so DJ has a chance of winning. DJ can't use the wedge-flip that we've seen it lose to before, though, so if the gun doesn't do it, then it's just a matter of how long it can keep moving while Icewave disassembles it.

And I'm probably off on considering the sizes of both bots. It looked to me like DJ was fairly low slung with the gun, but probably just high enough to miss Tombstone's blade.
    https://battlebots.com/robot/double-jeopardy-2018/
    https://battlebots.com/robot/tombstone-2018/

Hard to tell though, not really a consistent scale on those shots.

• XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Sawblaze was a lot of fun to watch, I love the idea of buzzsaw bots and like Red Devil too even though he seems pretty ineffective most of the time without a lucky shot.

I'd love to see more bots figure out effective weapons that aren't spinners. Sawblaze should hook up with that Chomp lady and her AI assisted weapon targeting thing!

I'd like to see someone make abrasive disk saws work. They obviously can't take the impacts but if you pinned a not you'd go through it like butter.

I'd like to see someone make abrasive disk saws work. They obviously can't take the impacts but if you pinned a not you'd go through it like butter.

I'm pretty sure that's basically what sawblaze is using? It's a diamond grinder type saw but it looks like it has a metal base.

The standard abrasive discs like you'd use on your angle grinder are pretty brittle and I don't think they'd last 10 seconds in the box.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    Holy shit Gigabyte vs Tombstone.
    They always portray Ray Billings as kind of a dick, but he showed really great sportsmanship not going in for the kill on a totally defenseless Gigabyte. I was absolutely sure he was going to go in for one more apeshit hit, and the Gigabyte drivers were in a flat panic. They'd have been left with nothing but wire scraps and plastic shards to rebuild with.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I've honestly never seen Ray Billings as "kind of a dick."

He just seems to really love destruction and knows his bot is one of the best at doing just that. But outside of his reveling in bot damage, he seems like a genuinely nice guy.

ObiFett wrote: »
    I've honestly never seen Ray Billings as "kind of a dick."

He just seems to really love destruction and knows his bot is one of the best at doing just that. But outside of his reveling in bot damage, he seems like a genuinely nice guy.

I think he enjoys playing the heel but they all know it's a show.

Yeah, I don't think he's actually a dick, just sometimes I get the impression I'm supposed to get that impression from the editing.

Man the trend of the main event fights ending in seconds continues unabated. I suppose generally its the more powerful bots fighting so pretty much any weakness is going to be hit by usually an incredibly heavy spinner.

• HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    The fight were good tonight, lots of high energy spinners.

Huge is doing really good but so far he's been matched up against bots that aren't designed to just destroy his wheels. His first horizontal spinner match will be interesting.

And the Minotaur fight caused some beautiful green sparks and flashes after removing the bottom armor and shorting out the guts.

• SealSeal Registered User regular
    Huge vs a horizontal spinner will probably be an automatic loss.

Seal wrote: »

Probably, but those wheels have proven themselves surprisingly resilient so far.
    It'll be interesting to see if they can take a spinner hit with as much flex as they've taken other hits.

Seal wrote: »

Probably, but those wheels have proven themselves surprisingly resilient so far.
    It'll be interesting to see if they can take a spinner hit with as much flex as they've taken other hits.

yeah they're so lightweight and bendy I wouldn't be surprised to see them just flip out of the way just slightly scratched

I also wouldn't be surprised to see them shatter into pieces for an instant KO

edited June 2018
    A sharpened horizontal spinner will probably be a bigger threat to Huge. Icewave I think will ruin them, but they might have a shot against Tombstone, which is more of a blunt force spinner.

Are there any other long-reach vertical spinners this season, a la Nightmare? That's something else I think could really ruin their day, another vertical spinner with longer reach, so by the time Huge can land a hit their opponents blade is three inches deep in whatever protection they have on that central bar.

Speaking of Icewave, I have three dicks the participants of that fight can eat:
    -Icewave for the not-quite-late hit, in the bottom third of a countout. I took Lockjaw's side with the late hit on Overhaul because it didn't do any damage and was after the 3 minute round ding with action right up to the final seconds, but this was after sitting through the countout for a good 8 seconds.
    -A second for Icewave for the, "I didn't realize I had my had on the controller," because motherfucker the camera focused in on you taking the stick between your thumb and forefinger and with a dramatic pause and a shit eating grin slowly sliding it forward. You fucking knew what you were doing.
    -Yeti for his reaction. Seriously, I get it was a dick move, but those were exposed pneumatic tires and you were fighting a fast all-sides sharpened horizontal spinner like Icewave. If you weren't counting on replacing those wheels after the fight you weren't using your head. It's not like he went in and landed a hit on your spinner or chassis that could have shaken even more internal stuff loose than whatever killed them to begin with.

Man the trend of the main event fights ending in seconds continues unabated. I suppose generally its the more powerful bots fighting so pretty much any weakness is going to be hit by usually an incredibly heavy spinner.

Despite my complaining above, Icwave vs. Yeti was a better fight than most of the main events so far, and was still two spinners that frequently knock opponents right out of a tournament - no wildcards or losers brackets if Icewave doesn't leave you enough to put back together. Just having two terror spinners rub moving parts together doesn't mean they're all going to be as anticlimactic Gigabyte's desperate attempt to tap out after being literally disassembled in the box.

Hevach on
  • kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Yup the main events are shaping up to be some of the most potent offensive weapons vs most potent offensive weapons so somebody is probably getting rekt. None of those fights is likely to last very long baring mechanical failure as the weapons used are just so potent if they get a solid hit stuff is getting ripped apart.

edited June 2018
    Man I have nothing but respect for free shipping. They committed no holds barred into that fight and it was incredibly great to watch.

A sharpened horizontal spinner will probably be a bigger threat to Huge. Icewave I think will ruin them, but they might have a shot against Tombstone, which is more of a blunt force spinner.

Are there any other long-reach vertical spinners this season, a la Nightmare? That's something else I think could really ruin their day, another vertical spinner with longer reach, so by the time Huge can land a hit their opponents blade is three inches deep in whatever protection they have on that central bar.

Speaking of Icewave, I have three dicks the participants of that fight can eat:
    -Icewave for the not-quite-late hit, in the bottom third of a countout. I took Lockjaw's side with the late hit on Overhaul because it didn't do any damage and was after the 3 minute round ding with action right up to the final seconds, but this was after sitting through the countout for a good 8 seconds.
    -A second for Icewave for the, "I didn't realize I had my had on the controller," because motherfucker the camera focused in on you taking the stick between your thumb and forefinger and with a dramatic pause and a shit eating grin slowly sliding it forward. You fucking knew what you were doing.
    -Yeti for his reaction. Seriously, I get it was a dick move, but those were exposed pneumatic tires and you were fighting a fast all-sides sharpened horizontal spinner like Icewave. If you weren't counting on replacing those wheels after the fight you weren't using your head. It's not like he went in and landed a hit on your spinner or chassis that could have shaken even more internal stuff loose than whatever killed them to begin with.

Despite my complaining above, Icwave vs. Yeti was a better fight than most of the main events so far, and was still two spinners that frequently knock opponents right out of a tournament - no wildcards or losers brackets if Icewave doesn't leave you enough to put back together. Just having two terror spinners rub moving parts together doesn't mean they're all going to be as anticlimactic Gigabyte's desperate attempt to tap out after being literally disassembled in the box.

Tombstone has a bunch of different weapons to select from, so they'd probably go with their sharpest blade or maybe their long reach bar.

• hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    That final strike by Icewave was some bullshit.

hawkbox wrote: »
    That final strike by Icewave was some bullshit.

On the other hand it didn't do any damage that shouldn't be expected when you've got big exposed tires like that, and they backed off immediately after busting one of the tires up.
    Now, had they gone for the kill and scattered chunklets of bot all over the box after the fight was obviously over, that would be a rather different issue.

I'm not denying a late hit is bullshit. But on a scale of "no late hit" to "reduced your bot to rubble after the bell", dinging a wheel up barely registers.

I think that last hit was legitimately accidental.

Looked to me that they thought they had room to turn and drive out when they should've backed up instead.

edited June 2018
    I'm not so sure. The camera locked on him a second before, and he initially has his hands off the controls, then his expression changes and he takes the stick between his thumb and forefinger, says something inaudible to his teammate, and delivers the hit. My opinion's a little less harsh after rewatching it a couple times, but I still think he knew what he was doing. He's either a goose or an idiot who did a goosey thing and I'm not to fussed on the distinction myself.

It was still inside the fight - Yeti wasn't going anywhere but the countdown wasn't over yet, and we've seen people do way more to dead opponents. And I feel that exposed wheels like Yeti has should be treated with racecar logic - you count on replacing them every time because they're almost certainly the first thing to go every time. I'm not saying everybody has to be like Lockjaw and bring a second identical bot for backup, but seriously, if you expect to fight, say, 8 battles, I'd advise bringing 8 sets of wheels. My opinion of Yeti's reaction has not dulled, but Icewave was still the worse of two dicks here.

I was finally able to see some of the bonus fights from the Science Channel today, and holy shit that rumble (Mohawk vs. Gemini vs. Kraken) was a just a comedy of errors. Kraken promptly lodged himself in the screws, and Mohawk proceeded to fight a half-assed control fight while Gemini's drivers apparently had a falling out because they kept taking chunks out of each other. You see Kraken occasionally in the background and I swear he was stuck on a DIFFERENT chunk of wall every time but I never see him actually moving. And just at the damn end Mohawk dies on top of the kill saws, and the best quote ever, "I'm moving when the saws hit me," to the ref while he's starting the count out.

And that went better than Kraken's other rumble, with Sharkorpion and Deviled Egg, where I think all three robots were being counted out and it came down to which ref started first.

I read somewhere that this series was apparently thrown together on unusually tight notice, and a lot of bots were literally being finished on site - established robots are generally doing fine, while ones that are newly built or modified are going in untested and sometimes unfinished and just falling apart all over the place. Hence Bite Force ("I left it on a shelf for two years and forgot to touch up the paint job,") vs. Hypershock ("redesigned from the ground up to be better than ever") was such a slaughter.

Hevach on
    All he had to do was not move. Whether he did terrible damage or not it was incredibly poor sportsmanship and I'm now cheering for him to get fucking wrecked.

a lot of the builders post on the battlebots subreddit and neither of the teams seem to be holding a grudge from that late hit
    team_Yeti wrote:
    link
    All dick comments aside, this fight was disappointing, and I hate that it didn't go on longer. My design/build/driving philosophy behind Yeti was never to make the most effective bot out there, but to make one of the most exciting, win or lose. In order to do that, it has to be reliable, so that's what I strive for (see: Sewer Snake). A loss at the end of an awesome fight is fine, but to have what was shaping up to be an incredible match stop as soon as it starts is devastating. It's hard to really convey the energy that robots like ICEWave dish out, and even if things look fine on the outside, every piece inside bears that load. In this case, Yeti lost power to it's receiver, which was housed inside a sturdy, padded, and shock-mounted box, and still gave out under the force of that blade. Congrats to Marc on the win! Yeti will return.
    link
    Thanks Greg! Icewave died on us mysteriously last season, so we feel your pain. It's also not the way we want to win a match. Let's do it again someday?

and icewave on why the hit happened:
    link
    This is probably the most accurate description of what happened. I was happy that we were about to win, so I started celebrating. Then I realized we needed to show movement, so I tried to make my way back to our starting square. It's hard to gather on TV, but the viewing angle from the driver's box makes it difficult to see things sometimes. Icewave is also scary and difficult to drive when the blade is spinning. I misinterpreted how far away we were, and accidentally clipped his wheels. I get so in the zone while driving that I didn't even notice it had happened until someone told me. It was an honest mistake, and thankfully Greg doesn't hold grudges for too long :)

it sounds like mainly Greg was real upset at the end of the match because it just wasn't fun! An internal electronics malfunction isn't the bot carnage we all love.

Well he can be the bigger man, I think it was bullshit and want him to lose now.

A lot of weak fights this week. We're getting towards the end so most fights from here on out should be much better thankfully.

I want to love Chomp. I love that they're playing with autonomous drive systems. But the design just isn't an effective combat robot - that weapon is basically impossible to aim and it's incredibly unstable.

Whereas Sawblaze is damn near a game breaker from what I see. That rake design with good driving looks like it could legitimately threaten every bot out there.

edited June 2018
    Chomp is just way over-engineered. It's kind of a shame, Zoe Stephenson's probably the most advanced robot builder in Battlebots, but Chomp has reached "Skynet Fight Club" level of engineering for a sport that's more "elaborate RC car demolition derby." Adding more and more complexity isn't doing her any favors. Every automated system is either too slow (the autohammer has no more success landing hits than Beta or Blacksmith, it doesn't seem to be able to lead a shot or anticipate a moving opponent, it's purely reactive and half the time lands just behind a moving target), worthless in most cases (the keep-your-distance autodrive only works against an opponent coming in from the front and only if there's nothing behind you AND the opponent doesn't just keep coming until you hit the wall), or hilariously exploitable (Warrior Dragon just parking his ass in the way so Chomp would just fall back over every time the auto-self-right fired).

The Reddit noise every time Chomp gets a win (or even just loses but with a split decision) is disgusting, though. Seriously. Chomp sucks because its builder doesn't know when to stop building, not because she has lady parts.

Sawblaze continues to surprise me. The thing with saw bots is that sawing metal isn't easy. You need to have the right pressure - too much and the blade binds, too little and it just generates heat without cutting. You need the right angle or the blade binds. You need to keep everything very still because any movement can break the blade while it's spinning. And here Sawblaze is using that thing like Blacksmith's fucking hammer and... I don't know how much real damage they're doing, they got something important on Overhaul but they ended up just making a lot of bright sparks on Reality and Mohawk they left a heated up mark but what won it was tipping him so that claw was sitting on the outside railing and he couldn't move. But damn if it's not paying off.

Hevach on
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    As far as I'm concerned, Sawblaze's weapon is mostly just theatrics. It has the potential of hitting something vital on exposed gears (like Overhaul's), but in reality it's a (very very good) wedge bot driven exceptionally well. Which is fine, I personally have nothing against wedge bots, but the weapon being overhyped is grating on me.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    After Chomp vs. Biteforce, I really wanted to like Chomp. I think this season is proving that fight might have been a fluke.

Sawblaze is doing good work, though.

Number One Tricky