As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    A different, worse colour
    Nips wrote: »
    Hey thread.

If I wanted a lower-cost alternative to GW Martian Ironcrust technical paint, what should I Iook for?

Looking for a cracked earth effect.

Thought Vallejo had a crackle medium that you just added paint to? I've heard mixed reviews though, but more often when people are painting with it - decaying paint on some terrain, or something nurglish. Might be fine for just red dust cracked bases.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Vallejo crackle medium is wierd. Its good for doing icey effects but not so much parched earth. Ive looked into this a bunch because i was using so much Agrellan earth for my Raven Guard and havent been able to find an acceptable cheaper substitute. In Australia at least.

And for some pictures!

Heres Hakon Stripey-Britches, my warlord. Still WiP but mostly there. Still needs basing and some general tidying up.
    8r82nzldmkoc.jpg

A brave Hirdman who slew the enemy warlord last game! I'm really enjoying painting shields. I imagine ill be less thrilled 20 shields in the future.
    ak0q9lk2ewm1.jpg

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    Stragint wrote: »
    Testing the blending for the yellow color I want on the night scythe has made me realize that trying to blend the colors is rough. It doesn't look natural. There is a clear line that shows where the next color starts.

This is gonna be tough.

The trick to proper blending is that you don’t just lay down one color then switch to the next. You should have 3 dropper bottles of paint; your base dark yellow, your lighter yellow, and then a pot that’s a 1:1 mix of both. You do the whole thing in the dark coat, then when it dries you do the next half in the mix, and lastly the actual lighter color on the end.

So doing it with that method will help me get this?

Bz2vI0V.jpg

But in yellow?

Quick question concerning the cleaning process for these plastic models. What is a good kind of brush to use? I've been using an old tooth brush but it isn't really doing it. As I mentioned if I scrap it with my nails I can take the paint off down to the plastic. I was wondering if there was something I could use with stiffer bristles that isn't a tooth brush but also wont scrap the plastic itself.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    If you have access to an airbrush it is the easieat way of blending on large flat surfaces. You can do it with a regular brush but it takes much longer and its muuuuuuch harder to get it looking good. The biggest problen is that flash surfaces show brush strokes more.

For most blending I use 2 or 3 colours and a wet palette to keep the mixes moist. If im being lazy ill probably go 3-4 steps flbut for something where im putting some real effort in I can go for more than 10 steps. For vehicles though most of the time 2 or 3 colours is fine.

I will reiterate that yellow over black in a gradient is like Dark Souls level hard in terms of painting though.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Asher wrote: »
    If you have access to an airbrush it is the easieat way of blending on large flat surfaces. You can do it with a regular brush but it takes much longer and its muuuuuuch harder to get it looking good. The biggest problen is that flash surfaces show brush strokes more.

For most blending I use 2 or 3 colours and a wet palette to keep the mixes moist. If im being lazy ill probably go 3-4 steps flbut for something where im putting some real effort in I can go for more than 10 steps. For vehicles though most of the time 2 or 3 colours is fine.

I will reiterate that yellow over black in a gradient is like Dark Souls level hard in terms of painting though.

I was planning on air brushing it. I bought two air brush paints from citadel paints. I have the paints under warm yellow in the citadel app. Averland sunset, casandora yellow which is a shade, fuegan orange also a shade, and flash gitz yellow.

Edit: I told my friend about my frustration with cleaning my plastic Necrons and how part of me wants to just melt them down and rebuy them and he suggested I just glue them all into a tesseract vault.

I will get these damn Necrons clean.

Stragint on
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    Adventureland sunset is a great yellow. Gives good coverage. For a really bright yellow you probably want to go over it with another yellow.

You could try airbrushing Averland on directly as it covers well enough. Be warned that in my experience gw paints can be finicky going through an air brush due to the high pigment content. You can then brighten it up with something else or shade it down with Cassandora.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Purple
    DfvwDgqU0AAJoyW.jpg
    Painting some scenery!

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular

I was planning on air brushing it. I bought two air brush paints from citadel paints. I have the paints under warm yellow in the citadel app. Averland sunset, casandora yellow which is a shade, fuegan orange also a shade, and flash gitz yellow.

My advice is twofold: first, practice on a bit of spare sprue first and get used to changing the paint flow of the brush mid-stroke before you get anywhere near the model you want to paint. Second, test your projected colour scheme, the one you posted looks like the light green was laid down over a white or undercoat then the dark green laid down on top. It’s possible they also used a green glaze or wash (through the airbrush) to blend the tones as a sort of post-processing step.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

My advice is twofold: first, practice on a bit of spare sprue first and get used to changing the paint flow of the brush mid-stroke before you get anywhere near the model you want to paint. Second, test your projected colour scheme, the one you posted looks like the light green was laid down over a white or undercoat then the dark green laid down on top. It’s possible they also used a green glaze or wash (through the airbrush) to blend the tones as a sort of post-processing step.

Yea, I'm gonna be doing a lot of practice before I actually start painting the night scythe. I definitely need to get the hang of the air brush.

What is the hardest kind of scrubbing brush I can use on plastic models? The paint on these models isn't coming off easily.

I also feel like my pewter Necrons would be cleaner.

I hate stripping paint off of models.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Didn't paint last night at our building and paint party because I'm so mad at my Necrons with this cleaning process but I did finish magnetizing 3 tomb blades and put together a command barge. A friend was putting together more of his Custodes stuff.

My brother was painting his Plague Marines for the first time and they came out really good.

Another friend bought that Reaper paint kit with a skeleton, knight, and orc to get into painting. He painted the skeleton last night and it came out really well. He kept doubting but we encouraged him to keep going.

I also think I've changed my mind on the prime color I'm doing for Necrons. The plan was a black base coat with some dry brushing and then the bright colors on the armor plates. As I was buying a goofy ass Reaper mini, this dwarf berserker with hand puppets on (I couldn't resist that silliness) I mentioned I needed primer for my Necrons. The dude running the register showed me these two silver primers and a mini he painted with him and how easy it was. So I might do silver as the prime with a wash and then the bright colors. I think it would make the yellow easier but it also means I need to clean my night scythe.

Only reason I was avoiding silver is because a lot of the Necrons I saw were silver and kind of boring.

Stragint on

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Purple
    When you realize painting a trygon without a vehicle sized brush is impossible so you make him a sweet coat and hat instead....

(Any recommendations on a good vehicle sized brush?)

kfddywheiocl.jpg

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Well that's got to be the best effort to impact ratio of any paint scheme I've done.

Step 1: Spray white.
    Step 2: Nihilakh Oxide GW technical paint.
    Step 3: Drybush white.
    Step 4 (optional): Splatter on some Blood for the Blood God.
    Step 5: Enjoy your spoopy ladz. Jobs a good 'un.

3PBUC8c.jpg

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Nihilak oxide is so good for doing spooky bois. They look great!

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Purple
    Okay, new question:

I'm aiming for a purple color with a metallic sheen. Could I accomplish this with an airbrushed application of Reaper Clear Purple over an airbrushed layer of Reaper Tarnished Steel?
    Do I need to go with a lighter metallic base (I really want the purple to pop)?
    Will those actually go through an airbrush with little fuss (like they claim)?
    Or should I just look for a airbrush-friendly metallic purple paint, and call it a day?

I'm working on a test model, so I'm up for some experimenting, but I'm definitely aiming for something that looks like a purple beetle shell.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I've gone mad about magnets; sorry about the terrible pictures but the paint jobs aren't great anyway. I'm just very pleased with the swappability I've created.

tcd3v1x88ljz.jpg0y9x8w7qk807.jpgcilzrg9ucnfp.jpg5fjc3hrzjnj9.jpgydqim9dfioxb.jpgxnvdirhwu3n8.jpg

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    Okay, new question:

I'm aiming for a purple color with a metallic sheen. Could I accomplish this with an airbrushed application of Reaper Clear Purple over an airbrushed layer of Reaper Tarnished Steel?
    Do I need to go with a lighter metallic base (I really want the purple to pop)?
    Will those actually go through an airbrush with little fuss (like they claim)?
    Or should I just look for a airbrush-friendly metallic purple paint, and call it a day?

I'm working on a test model, so I'm up for some experimenting, but I'm definitely aiming for something that looks like a purple beetle shell.

I think the go to for metallic colours is a bright metal base colour with Tamiya clear airbrushed on top. No idea how reaper clears compares to that.

• Options
    Purple
    Df_LPamU0AAbHcO.jpg
    Guardians and their ride

• Options
    Broke off the gun from a Necron Warrior and the gun arm of a Destroyer while cleaning them. So frustrating.

Putting the pewter Immortals back together is also a pain in the ass. I can't wait to be done with this.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Purple
    Dayspring, those are not purple. I'm not sure if you realized. I just thought I'd let you know you were painting wrong before you get too far.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Purple
    @Dayspring Son, I am disappoint.

DNgwsqDm.jpg

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Purple
    check the gems and the eyes, dudes

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Purple
    I was going to do all the minis from Gloomhaven over time as we unlocked them, but I only got the Cragheart and Brute done before the owner of the game flaked out and said the campaign is over. >.> I don't mind that I was painting someone else's minis, just that after doing the work, they won't be used.

Anyway, they turned out all right!
    35796801_10157197463969796_3937419145578020864_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=7f13fe40158c3ad4d122fe81d484c70a&oe=5BAD1668

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Fully finished my Explorator Primaris Marine (Deathwatch) test model! This is my first time using microsol/set for decals and oil washes. Fun times!
    admech_primaris01.jpg
    admech_primaris_turn02.gif

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    McGibs that is amazing. The astronaut's fishbowl helmet was a brilliant conversion, and the color scheme looks really cool.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I am getting such a vintage starship troopers vibe from that model and I fucking LOVE IT.

• Options
    So I still have not painted anything. Still gotta clean my Necrons off and primer with silver instead of black now so hopefully yellow on the Night Scythe will.be easier.

On the other hand my friend and brother have been painting, both for the first time. My brother was gonna have a friend who offered to paint them do it but at the painting/building party he decided to do it. My friend bought the Reaper paint kit with the orc, skeleton, and knight to paint that night. All in all they came out really well.

My brother's Death Guard that he has been working on since the paint/build party.
    GPVoSUx.jpg
    Co5XlH2.jpg
    KmtNHqj.jpg
    2mwrl0d.jpg

The skeleton and a pack of three more from Reaper that my friend painted.
    Q3mMBWq.jpg

And I got in the neon orange and dark blue acrylic tubes for my Necrons.
    khc5pfa.jpg

Again, both my brother and friend are painting for the first time, pretty absurd how good they look.

• Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    i finished the last model in the backlog.
    opXXmZY.jpg
    SAzCohF.jpg

now that i have three i can pose them in a cool shield wall
    PylQp9v.jpg

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    TacoForceTacoForce Registered User regular
    A shiny boi for 2nd ed.
    c2oordmfb22q.jpg
    ir6hlerhgq6n.jpg
    It doesn't come across well here, but the armor and shield are an iridescent metallic blue.

Photographing metals is hard.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    You kinda have to do one of those 360 rotation videos to really get iridescent paintschemes across.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Uh, the hotness of those paint jobs comes across quite nicely. Looks rull good.

And just infinitely better than the basic bro gold (no offense to those who do the gold scheme).

• Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    Will brushing some gloss over my metallics revitalise them after spraying the mini with matt varnish?

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    A bit, but it's never the same.
    I'm seriously considering the paint + varnish + repaint metallics method for my HQs and such.

• Options
    Picture of Los Tyranidos before I pack them up and finally paint something that isn’t a fleshy cockroach for a change.

TvyblVL.jpg

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    awesome to see that scheme come from inception to completion in such a short amount of time! They look disgusting!
    Did you ever post a finish photo of your spider-fex thing?

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I can’t remember, he’s kinda lost in the sea of goopy monsters in that group shot.

pqB4Jth.jpg

There’s still some details that need finishing, but he was part of a trifecta of giant bugs I was doing simultaneously to try and get an monster mash list ready in time for a tournament. Ended up only having him ready, and just ran the stuff that was painted. Did alright though, came in second.

Badablack on
  • Options
    manjimanji Registered User regular
    I picked up an old marine bike and sidecar (the metal one) from a charity shop. the sidecar marine is sat back in the chair with no backpack. what powers his armour?! the bike maybe? what if they crash and he needs to walk somewhere? i can't let it go. i'm considering gluing a backpack to the rear guard of the bike and running a couple of cables to the gunner.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    The chair back has the same connector as the backpacks do IIRC. Same as on the Land Speeder etc. And sorta like how the dudes firing the cupola weapons on tanks have a special cable adapter fitting in place of the backpack that clearly wouldn’t fit through the hatch.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    manjimanji Registered User regular
    alright, i guess i can head-canon that. if the bike crashes i guess he just runs around with a chair stuck to his ass like ariandel in DS3 :smile:

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Purple
    I painted a thing.
    FnoJ45ll.jpg

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
This discussion has been closed.