As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    That Reno Hunter sounds fascinating. Now that Hunter has a value engine in DK Rexxar that seems like an actually viable thing.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    That Reno Hunter sounds fascinating. Now that Hunter has a value engine in DK Rexxar that seems like an actually viable thing.

Dog was musing pretty heavily on it in his 50-0 win streak in Wild (to be clear, Dog was playing Odd Rogue at the time).

Speaking of Wild, I decided to craft Ragnaros and Lightbomb and play Big Priest. It's doing pretty well for me, and has me up to rank 3. I'm considering a Legend push, though I might bite the bullet and craft the cards I need for Wild Odd Rogue instead. The game that got me to rank 3 was sort of a funny one. A turn seven Shadow Essence Lich King turned into two 10/10 Untargetable Lich Kings the next turn. However, the Hunter I was up against had a trap up of unknown type. The board state at the time was such that I didn't want to risk Freezing Trap - and as it turned out over the next few turns, attacking into Freezing Trap would have given the Hunter the win.

I played conservatively, patiently clearing off Zombeasts and sitting behind a taunt wall. I had thrown away everything in the mulligan, and I got two spellstones back. While that was bad from a fast start perspective, it meant that they were both fully charged pretty quick. I eventually used it to get a Y'Shaarj, Statue, Lich King and Ragnaros back. I dropped a Barnes the next turn. Lethal was set up. Barnes would attack, triggering the Freezing Trap, and then I'd AMS my board and punch in lethal.

Barnes attacked. Explosive Trap. Wandering Monster.

Oops.

I could have won that game a lot sooner.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    forty wrote: »
    And my record-breaking "no legendaries" streak in arena continues with a mediocre mage draft! Only one Cavern Dreamer, no hope.
    8-2. Not bad I guess for a mediocre deck. Are Shamans getting some sort of "off the charts luck" mechanic in arena now? Both my losses were turn 1 train rides to shamans with off the charts luck.

forty on
  • DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    I had a 7-3 Mage run the other day with no Cavern Dreamers/Consider the Pasts :(

But that's okay it did pretty well anyway, 7 wins was about what I expected for it

DgehAHIUwAASTbG.jpg

I had HECKA board clears. Plus that delicious Possibility Seeker/Timebound Giant synergy.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582

I just had my best arena run ever. Despite losing my first game, I finished 10-3. Mage seems really strong in the Taverns of Time.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    I don't think mage has ever not been strong in Arena.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

Well, yeah. They never removed Frostbolt and Flamestrike.

There was a period where Rogue was just overall stronger, and Warlock was king during the reign of Abyssal Enforcer, but Mage's Arena strength came from the basic set which makes it eternal.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    Yeah, I'm not saying mage has always been #1, but it feels like it's never not been a top 3. For over 4 years now.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

Well, yeah. They never removed Frostbolt and Flamestrike.

There was a period where Rogue was just overall stronger, and Warlock was king during the reign of Abyssal Enforcer, but Mage's Arena strength came from the basic set which makes it eternal.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/531640/Eternal_Card_Game/ no this is eternal

liEt3nH.png
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I've been picking up Un'Goro packs since I wasn't playing much back then...
    Golden Feeding Time
    Volcanosaur
    Vilespine Slayer
    Golden Fire Plume Phoenix
    Golden Caverns Below

Well, I was looking for a Quest...

edited June 2018
    man i really like when they do Arena events cause it definitely gets me to do more Arena than i usually do

which is to say almost never, even though i do like Arena and i'm actually pretty decent at it

but yeah introducing a new 28 card Arena-only set to the game is really cool and i hope they do more of this in the future. Arena needs love too and this is the perfect way to do it.

way, way better than the whole 9 blizzcon cards thing, cause that just felt like too little and not enough.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I couldn't sleep late last night and ended up making my own Quest-Spiteful-Lady in White Priest. I have no idea if it's any good, but it holds its own against warlocks and hunters at rank 8. Looking for feedback to help improve win rate as I'm at 3-3 after 6 games. I'm thinking dump the quest and the oracles for a second obsidian and a better one drop. Maybe the 1/3 beast? Late game is pretty locked in with the multiple winning cons through between Spiteful burst in tempo and Lady making healthier guys big beefy men. What do you guys think?
    ### Spiteful Lady
    # Class: Priest
    # Format: Standard
    # Year of the Raven
    #
    # 1x (1) Awaken the Makers
    # 2x (1) Crystalline Oracle
    # 2x (1) Northshire Cleric
    # 2x (2) Loot Hoarder
    # 2x (2) Shadow Ascendant
    # 2x (3) Curious Glimmerroot
    # 2x (3) Tar Creeper
    # 2x (3) Twilight Acolyte
    # 2x (4) Duskbreaker
    # 1x (5) Dollmaster Dorian
    # 2x (5) Rotten Applebaum
    # 1x (6) Bone Drake
    # 1x (6) Lady in White
    # 1x (7) Nightscale Matriarch
    # 2x (7) Spiteful Summoner
    # 1x (8) Primordial Drake
    # 1x (9) Obsidian Statue
    # 1x (9) Ysera
    # 2x (10) Mind Control
    #
    AAECAZ/HAgiiCZbEAsnHAsfLAubMAo7uAsLxArD7AgsI+wHyDNXBAtnBAsrDAs7MAsvmAvzqAtfrAsXzAgA=
    #
    # To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

KoopahTroopah on
    I couldn't sleep late last night and ended up making my own Quest-Spiteful-Lady in White Priest. I have no idea if it's any good, but it holds its own against warlocks and hunters at rank 8. Looking for feedback to help improve win rate as I'm at 3-3 after 6 games. I'm thinking dump the quest and the oracles for a second obsidian and a better one drop. Maybe the 1/3 beast? Late game is pretty locked in with the multiple winning cons through between Spiteful burst in tempo and Lady making healthier guys big beefy men. What do you guys think?
    ### Spiteful Lady
    # Class: Priest
    # Year of the Raven
    #
    # 1x (1) Awaken the Makers
    # 2x (1) Crystalline Oracle
    # 2x (1) Northshire Cleric
    # 2x (2) Loot Hoarder
    # 2x (2) Shadow Ascendant
    # 2x (3) Curious Glimmerroot
    # 2x (3) Tar Creeper
    # 2x (3) Twilight Acolyte
    # 2x (4) Duskbreaker
    # 1x (5) Dollmaster Dorian
    # 2x (5) Rotten Applebaum
    # 1x (6) Bone Drake
    # 1x (6) Lady in White
    # 1x (7) Nightscale Matriarch
    # 2x (7) Spiteful Summoner
    # 1x (8) Primordial Drake
    # 1x (9) Obsidian Statue
    # 1x (9) Ysera
    # 2x (10) Mind Control
    #
    AAECAZ/HAgiiCZbEAsnHAsfLAubMAo7uAsLxArD7AgsI+wHyDNXBAtnBAsrDAs7MAsvmAvzqAtfrAsXzAgA=
    #
    # To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

If you want a good one drop just use Fire Fly.

Fire Fly is two bodies for the price of one, ping-resistant, just a damn good card.

DNiDlnb.png
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    taunt druid's a busted deck

Ramp ramp ramp oakheart pulling a dragonhatcher (which pulls a 4/12 taunt) 3/6 taunt and Hadronox on turn 6

Balanced

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »

Ramp ramp ramp oakheart pulling a dragonhatcher (which pulls a 4/12 taunt) 3/6 taunt and Hadronox on turn 6

Balanced

How does the Hadronox pull work here?

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

Balanced

Yeah, that's not possible without a Drakkari Enchanter activating Dragonhatcher twice...which still wouldn't pull the 3/6 taunt. Probably just a mistaken memory from the PTSD from that board hit on 6.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular

Balanced

pretty great; chances are that your opponent just loses to the ~15/31 worth of stats that you just shit out onto the board

even if they're running a deck with polymorph effects, on 6 mana there's very little chance that they can deal with your hadronox AND your dragonhatcher AND the sleepy dragon it popped out

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Hell, I am still rank 14 and the month is almost over. Recommend a good Taunt Druid deck so I can at least hit 10 this week.

Oakheart can only pull one of either the 3/6 or Hadro because they both fill the 3 attack spot.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Balanced

Yeah, that's not possible without a Drakkari Enchanter activating Dragonhatcher twice...which still wouldn't pull the 3/6 taunt. Probably just a mistaken memory from the PTSD from that board hit on 6.

Could have meant 3/5 taunt with Tar Creeper?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    edited June 2018
    Hell, I am still rank 14 and the month is almost over. Recommend a good Taunt Druid deck so I can at least hit 10 this week.

###
    # Class: Druid
    # Year of the Raven
    #
    # 2x (1) Lesser Jasper Spellstone
    # 2x (1) Naturalize
    # 2x (2) Wild Growth
    # 1x (3) Tar Creeper
    # 2x (3) Witching Hour
    # 2x (4) Branching Paths
    # 2x (4) Ironwood Golem
    # 2x (4) Oaken Summons
    # 2x (4) Swipe
    # 2x (5) Carnivorous Cube
    # 2x (5) Nourish
    # 2x (8) Primordial Drake
    # 1x (8) The Lich King
    # 2x (9) Dragonhatcher
    # 1x (9) Hadronox
    # 1x (9) Master Oakheart
    # 2x (9) Sleepy Dragon
    #
    AAECAZICBMrDAsLOAq/TAvHqAg1AX+kB5AjJxwKU0gKY0gKe0gLm0wKL4QKE5gLd6wKN8AIA

answers to some a couple specific tech choices you might be interested in, phrased in a Q&A format:

1. why no Ultimate Infestation? over 1/3 of your deck costs more than 5 mana; UI is just an invitation to hand size issues when you don't have things like arcane tyrants in the list to help you drop your hand quickly. nourish, wild growth, and branching paths all provide plenty of draw to get to your big bois
    2. why only one Tar Creeper as a 1-attack minion? if oakheart doesn't pull a 1 attack minion, it's whatever. the other 29 cards in the deck are better than a second tar creeper

how to play deck:
    mulligan hard for ramp
    oakheart

Dehumanized on
    edited June 2018
    here's an example of the Extremely Skillful gameplay that taunt druid demands:

https://hsreplay.net/replay/TtAxk3UdxPRCPK2LMHsVR8

my opponent had cornered sentry which usually counters the deck, but because i made the very hard choice to drop Oakheart as soon as I had 9 mana, it didn't matter and I could just run him over way before I'd ever even need to think about Hadronox

busted deck

Dehumanized on
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I’m up to 10-2 in my current arena run (Mage, naturally)

Last win was all Cavern Dreamer, with a Dread Corsair protecting it. Dreamer generated enough removal for me to clear their board every turn, or buff my Corsair with Divine Spirit when I attacked their chain gang. All while I poked away with a dire mole/fire flies. The last straw was apparently when I played Betrayal on their Stubborn Gastropod.

Outside of that game the real MVP of this run has been the combo of Probability Seeker + Timebound Giant. Redrawing your entire hand really drives down the cost of the giants, while also giving a very good chance of drawing one. I can’t remember if it was on turn 4 or 5/6, but I had a game where my first few plays replaced themselves in hand (Fire Fly, Ravencaller) and then I dropped a 4/5 and two 8/8s in the same turn

edited June 2018
    I finished off my 500 ranked wins as a Hunter! It’s my first class to 500 wins - back when I started a year and a half ago, Hunter was my primary class, simply because it was cheap to build and did well at low ranks. Win #500 came against a Big Spell Mage; naturally, it was Steady Shot for exact lethal to finish things off.

Win #499 was way more interesting - it was against MrYagut. Or at least, someone named MrYagut. I was expecting Kingsbane, but it was Miracle Rogue so it might not have been him. Plus the Legend rank was really low. Big taunts saved my butt, and King Krush ate face. I’m just going to pretend that that game was against the real MrYagut and that it was my real win #500.

Edit: checked his VOD this morning. It was the real Yagut!

Shadowhope on
    Yagut is currently streaming Shudderwock at rank 4k.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I'm 3 stars away from legend and feel like somehow I won't make it,

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page

It’d be nice if climbing was mostly putting people against other people at the same rank, rather than people already at Legend.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    to be fair at this point in the game's life expecting the legend grind to be sensible reflects more on you

liEt3nH.png
  • AcheronAcheron Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Wrong thread

Acheron on

The latest tech in Odd Rogue is to use Worgen Infiltrators and King Mukla.

King. Mukla.

Dear God, why have you abandoned us?

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    i just got owned by murloc mage

what the FUCK was that deck

tidecaller into the 2/3 +1/+1 guy into warleader into oracle + bluegill

edited June 2018
    i just got owned by murloc mage

what the FUCK was that deck

tidecaller into the 2/3 +1/+1 guy into warleader into oracle + bluegill

It's been a bit under the radar, but it's a legitimate deck. I think that APXVoid originated the current form, and late last season Zalae was playing a bit of it. It turns out that early game Murloc pressure backed up by burn can steal a lot of games in a slow meta.

Shadowhope on
    Are they still running Dorian?

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I'm probably going to just get shifted back to 20 by the end of this season. I've been playing Arena ever since the event started.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • BeastwizardBeastwizard Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

It’d be nice if climbing was mostly putting people against other people at the same rank, rather than people already at Legend.

I don't even bother playing much anymore after I hit Legend. Most of my opponents are Rank 3-4 while I'm Legend, so if I lose, I tumble down over 100 ranks, if I win, I climb 20 at best. What's the point?

I finished at exactly #100 in Wild last month, so that was atleast cool.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Brawl is you play a chess deck plus 6 other cards you choose.

Edit: Wild so any card is fair game.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Betsuni wrote: »

except for hero cards, which are banned

i just picked Good Mage Spells (primordial glyph, fireball, explosive runes, firelands portal, frostbolt, ice block but tbh any damage would have been better) and had a pretty easy time winning

except for hero cards, which are banned
    So they can learn!

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular

If you can believe it, I played against half-a-Cubelock, by which I mean they used Skull to cheat out a Voidlord, then killed my superior board with Twisting Nether (and of course got three bodies that could also directly attack my face), used Skull to cheat out Lakkari Felhound for another beefy body, plinked away directly at my face with these four, and then eventually cheated out a Doomguard for the kill.

I wonder if they had a Cube in there, and how well it'd do in this brawl in general (maybe not so great, because losing bodies from the board is a big deal).