As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - A Hound Betwixt

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited June 2018 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - A Hound Betwixt

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• swift_chamoisswift_chamois Registered User regular
    First panel business Tycho is my new favorite thing.

• bsctgodbsctgod Registered User regular
    Rough day at the Geek Squad service desk.

• moosemaimermoosemaimer Registered User regular
    These two really have gotten old. Once upon a time they would ask for the "big" strategy guide to a fighting game, and now they can't even figure out Smash.

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    I have never gotten SB, either. But unlike Tycho I haven't played all of them. I think I played the first one for like 5 minutes to figure out it's not for me.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I've felt that way since Melee

Sunk a ton of hours into the original. Only grudgingly play the sequels

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I think they caught lightning in a bottle with Melee and haven't been able to recreate it since a lot of the things that made the system deep and appealing were accidental.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I don't think there's ever been a dog that's had any feelings of delight during a fireworks show.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    As somebody who has never played a Smash game, I'm always in awe of the Classic Console room at PAX. It might as well be renamed the "All The Smash Games Or Why Are You Even In Here" room.

• rembrandtqeinsteinrembrandtqeinstein Registered User regular
    You can tell they are all grown up
    Only shit when it's appropriate

I don't think we would see that advice even 10 years ago

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I feel this way about most things.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    I feel this way about most things.

Only shitting when appropriate does carry over to quite a lot of circumstances

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    What's so hard to get about Smash Bros? You punch Nintendo characters and raise their damage until you can throw them off the screen to win points.

If you're talking about the competitive/tournament scene though, I totally understand the confusion. Talk of top tiers and wavedashing and other non-sensical techniques make me want to scream "Just play the game and enjoy yourself, you lunatics!"

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I felt this way a little ways into Brawl - maybe I just needed to turn off items or something, but "hit the other people" got interrupted way too often by random bullshit, and that seems to have just increased with each iteration.

KalTorak on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I loved slower floatiness of classic smash.

steam_sig.png
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I don't think there's ever been a dog that's had any feelings of delight during a fireworks show.

Well, I don't know that I'd go that far. If you can call a dog chasing down a rabbit delight, then I've had a dog that "feels" similar about fireworks. She would chase those suckers down. The terror came when she caught them.

But I will agree with you that the vast majority of dogs that feel anything during fireworks aren't feeling any delight. I say "fireworks" rather than "the fourth of July" since that would imply my neighbors aren't "patriotic" on any goddam random day of the year.

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    The fireworks bring only terror. The delight comes from the hot dogs.

• Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I think they caught lightning in a bottle with Melee and haven't been able to recreate it since a lot of the things that made the system deep and appealing were accidental.

Same but with the original and the party atmosphere that it conjured forth whenever it was on.

Edith Upwards on
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Tycho changed shirts really fast.

• Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Tycho changed shirts really fast.

Or he changed in front of Gabe.

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    He wears the hoodie under his short sleeved shirt. Like Spiderman.

• Hawk oneHawk one Registered User regular
    From the newspost:

"Mostly it’s a funny story that burnishes my populist credentials, but it never occurred to me before now that the truly gruesome holes in my syllabus - Smash, Goldeneye, Majora’s Mask - are almost certainly the result of this practice. "

The poor man never got to play Majora's Mask...

This is the saddest thing I've ever read about Jerry. Also, it explains a lot.

But signatures don't really work, do they?
  • sparkskysparksky Registered User regular
    You can tell they are all grown up
    Only shit when it's appropriate

I don't think we would see that advice even 10 years ago

I mean, it's not quite the same, but there's 7 years ago:

0hd0nf5wr280.png

"When I was in school, they told me practice makes perfect. Then they told me nobody's perfect. So I stopped practicing." --Steven Wright
  • twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    one of the things you learn in parenthood is the concept of, "I never thought I would have to be explicitly clear about this, but..."

the location of poop is 100% one of those things

twmjr wrote: »
    one of the things you learn in parenthood is the concept of, "I never thought I would have to be explicitly clear about this, but..."

the location of poop is 100% one of those things

Or, possibly like FIVE of those things, all in different variations.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    T-Danger wrote: »
    What's so hard to get about Smash Bros? You punch Nintendo characters and raise their damage until you can throw them off the screen to win points.

If you're talking about the competitive/tournament scene though, I totally understand the confusion. Talk of top tiers and wavedashing and other non-sensical techniques make me want to scream "Just play the game and enjoy yourself, you lunatics!"

If someone played a good amount of more traditional fighting games, Smash being a game based around an elaborate Ring Out system can be really, really weird at first. I had to go out and read up on the mechanics to wrap my head around it in college before I had a Gamecube myself. Similarly an analog input system with how much you move the stick affecting what move comes out is not something you normally find in fighting games. I really enjoy the game now that I understand it but it wasn't the easiest transition from mostly playing Soul Calibur or Mortal Kombat previously.

I also do enjoy how there are layers you can choose to go down but it's still accessible enough to more casual players. It's rare to have a game that can both appeal to people just into the spectacle of Pikachu shooting a Super Scope at Kirby and also find an audience in the kind of player that has fun examining frame data.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Seriously, no one here recognized (or pointed out) that Tycho's outfit is a reference to the "at this point I'm too afraid to ask" Chris Pratt/Andy from Parks & Rec meme?

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G