As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer Fantasy Battles: Skaven eat cheese (when they are given it).

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    GW is making crazy money period.

They just gave a £3000 bonus to every employee. That's a huge windfall to the retail folks.

That's.... actually super generous for a company.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Really seeing what is next week I know I raelly have not gotten into AoS for various reasons I think I am talking myself into the nighthaunts or at least their book as yeah
    p1qdw8okc3wq.png
    These are basic troops?
    6u4y30m9kqdk.png
    I really should get the book as it will answer various questions I have and have sweet lore to read

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    The Nighthaunts seem like swell guys.

Always grinnin'.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    ¿Porque no los dos?

Warhammer TV other than the podcast they were doing has been silent for almost a month
    About 2 hours ago they did an info dump/reset on their channel
    https://youtu.be/0YrBjGgfgMA

They also dropped a bunch of new how-to-play videos starring Becca Scott (lately of Geek & Sundry) which is interesting because a) how to plays are not typically a thing GW does and b) reaching out to a third party to do them is unheard of.

GW has thought about how to appeal to gamers and inspire interest in their products for more than a second rather than doubling down on austerity death-spiral economics.

Maybe they'll wait until they run out of Age of Sigmar stuff and then release Warhammer Classic and a new WHFRP.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I'm like 80% sure there is a new WHFRP either out or on the way. The Warhammer Fantasy setting is only dead as a miniatures game. It's alive & well (very well in the case of Total War) everywhere else.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I believe there is both a WHFRP and an AoS TTRPG in the works, if I remember rightly from past announcements.

• Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Well pretty sure im going to take the plunge again with this edition. I did enjoy my Sylvaneth until they melted (just Australia things)but this time I think im going to do Stormcasts.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    So I'm slowly catching up on the malign portents short stories (there are some really fun ones in there) and my newest conspiracy theory is that with the Stormcasts slowly loosing their memories and characters and Malerion gifting Sigmar the Gladiatorium, Malerion is syphoning the souls of the Stormcasts for his own purposes.

The fight for souls is really the overarching theme of AoS it seems. They're the fuel of Chaos, Sigmar is using them to build his armies, Nagash thinks everyone should get of his lawn and stop messing with them as they belong to him, The deepkin need them to keep their slave caste alive and the aelven gods are currently still busy getting a bunch of them out of Slannesh' belly

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    So I'm slowly catching up on the malign portents short stories (there are some really fun ones in there) and my newest conspiracy theory is that with the Stormcasts slowly loosing their memories and characters and Malerion gifting Sigmar the Gladiatorium, Malerion is syphoning the souls of the Stormcasts for his own purposes.

The fight for souls is really the overarching theme of AoS it seems. They're the fuel of Chaos, Sigmar is using them to build his armies, Nagash thinks everyone should get of his lawn and stop messing with them as they belong to him, The deepkin need them to keep their slave caste alive and the aelven gods are currently still busy getting a bunch of them out of Slannesh' belly

I was surprised to find myself pro-Horticulous Slimux, who seems like a chill avatar of disease and corruption.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Nurgle is all "Hey you, why are you fighting us we're all on the same side against that horrible Nagash, We're fighting for life itself! Embrace it! Gardening is a fun hobby!"

honovere on
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Nurgle is all "Hey you, why are you fighting us we're all on the same side against that horrible Nagash, We're fighting for life itself! Embrace it! Gardening is a fun hobby!"

Barf Guy did not seem like fun, but Slimux seemed cool. It's possible it's just him.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    New Stormcast heroes.

Madeleine AlbrightAstreia Solbright on a lizard cat
    StormcastHeroes-June26-Asteria21b.jpg

Aventis Firestrike on what looks like a bull pagasus with a bat's face
    StormcastHeroes-June26-Aventis20r.jpg

https://warhammer-community.com/2018/06/26/26th-june-preview-new-heroes-of-the-stormcast-eternalsgw-homepage-post-2/

Aventis is totally a firebender that mastered the lightning technique.

honovere on
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Something must be done about that pegasus' face.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    when a goat and a bat and an eagle love each other very much...

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Hyena-ram-asus.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Aventis is totally a firebender that mastered the lightning technique.
    Cannot unsee. Must purge soul by painting Firestrike in full Phoenix King colours.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Community page has some artwork from the new battletome and man, the reforging seems to really fuck up the stormcasts.

So how long will it take until the first few are so screwed up that they'll turned to Chaos? We're totally going to get a fantasy heresy.

• Options
    More previews from the AoS open day.
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/06/30/30th-june-the-warhammer-age-of-sigmar-open-day-live-bloggw-homepage-post-1/
    The nighthaunt are so pretty.

I can't wait for some new aelven cavalry. GW has come a long way with horses.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I picked up Soul Wars at my LGS today. The models just looked so good...and a hard cover rule book in the box? Yes please.

I'm going to be building and painting the Nighthaunt for myself. If I am understanding this correctly, when I go to expand this starter force, I can draw from everything in Forces of Death? So I can have some Deathlords with my Nighthaunts?

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Am I crazy? I don't see colossal squig's points in the GH2k18 despite them updating the warscroll. Or other forgeworld models (some of them I guess will be faction specific summon only?)

It was going to be the perfect ally for my spiderfang force. Big dude that I can just barrel suicide up the board and draw fire while I advance.
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I picked up Soul Wars at my LGS today. The models just looked so good...and a hard cover rule book in the box? Yes please.

I'm going to be building and painting the Nighthaunt for myself. If I am understanding this correctly, when I go to expand this starter force, I can draw from everything in Forces of Death? So I can have some Deathlords with my Nighthaunts?

It depends on how you play, for matched play Nighthaunt can only ally with deathlords and soulblight in GH2k18. Be aware of how you build the chainwraps, it comes with 2 extra models in case you dont need the leaders for that group, or only need 1. I had varying degrees of success with some of the seam lines on these. I am not sure I like ETB more than regular models. You still need to clean mold lines, "can be built in a fraction of the time" Is basically a non concern for a hobby that eats time if you let it.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Am I crazy? I don't see colossal squig's points in the GH2k18 despite them updating the warscroll. Or other forgeworld models (some of them I guess will be faction specific summon only?)

It was going to be the perfect ally for my spiderfang force. Big dude that I can just barrel suicide up the board and draw fire while I advance.

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Monstrous-Arcanum-2018

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Thanks! I could have sworn they mentioned this, I looked at that arcanum and didnt go all the way to the bottom.

They really just want to refuse to put points on the warscrolls, don't they?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

I feel like some GW exec saw some people in a focus group complain that using points was "too hard" or something and just decided that they would do everything they could to push Power Level instead. I don't know how it is in Age of Sigmar, but in 40K it is incredibly unbalanced due to the sheer number of weapon options or other upgrades that are available to units, and while I can't speak for the hobby at large I can say that no one in my meta uses PL.

I went into my local store to pick up some Legion of the Damned that I ordered a while back and ended up walking out with the Storm of Sigmar box. My understanding is that this box isn't really great for matched play since it doesn't include complete units, but I figured it was super cheap and it would give me an opportunity to paint up some AOS models and maybe get a few very small skirmish games in and see how it plays compared to 40K. Are things changing significantly in 2.0 to the point where the rules in the box aren't going to be useful anymore?

• Options
    Hrrrmm. They updated the AoS app. Not really for the better. It's harder to read and looks like some stuff is wrong or missing, like spire guard.

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    And Grave Guard can't be added to an army in the army builder, but it still counts the points. Amount many other weird bugs.

Shit's broke, yo.

• Options
    I think the not printing points on the cards thing has far more to do with the how often points change than some nefarious plan to get rid of them. Hell if you look at point values in the Soul Wars box and then check GH, they've already changed some.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options

I feel like some GW exec saw some people in a focus group complain that using points was "too hard" or something and just decided that they would do everything they could to push Power Level instead. I don't know how it is in Age of Sigmar, but in 40K it is incredibly unbalanced due to the sheer number of weapon options or other upgrades that are available to units, and while I can't speak for the hobby at large I can say that no one in my meta uses PL.

I went into my local store to pick up some Legion of the Damned that I ordered a while back and ended up walking out with the Storm of Sigmar box. My understanding is that this box isn't really great for matched play since it doesn't include complete units, but I figured it was super cheap and it would give me an opportunity to paint up some AOS models and maybe get a few very small skirmish games in and see how it plays compared to 40K. Are things changing significantly in 2.0 to the point where the rules in the box aren't going to be useful anymore?

Points on warscrolls/cards is sub-optimal when they update yearly (at the latest). Even FFG has figured this out with X-Wing 2nd edition.

Power levels don't exist in AoS. Though if they did they would actually work as intended as AoS does not have the granularity of 40k. When a unit's effectiveness is significantly increased or decreased based on weapon choice, then those two choices are separate entries (see stormcast prosecutors).

AoS core rules and warscrolls are always free. That is probably all you're getting in the starter box anyway. If you want up-to-date points, artifacts, and command traits you would also need the newest General's Handbook. Faction Battletomes that release after the GHB generally have more updated stuff for that faction.

Hot take: AoS is a better game than 40k.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    It was kind of funny when I did a demo game with a friend to see if he was interested.

We had roughly the same number of wounds, which is how you "balance" things when not doing matched play with points.

I had 50% more points when we checked later.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Sort of-

You can either play pure Nighthaunt, Nighthaunt with allies (200 pts worth of in 1k, 400pts in 2k), or Grand Alliance Death where you can take literally anything you want with the Death keyword.

The difference is that the Nighthaunt will have their own Army Trait, Relics, and Command Traits to pull from if you play pure Nighthaunt or take them with some Death allies. If you play Grand Alliance Death, that has it's own Army Trait, Relics, and Command abilities which can be found in the big Core Rulebook.

@Brainleech I have Soul Wars and I could possibly answer a few questions. The unit profiles for some of those models you put up are available on the website. The Jailer and Changasts definitely are.

In other news I played last night with the ghosts vs the new Stormcasts. Goddamn if Nighthaunts aren't combolicious.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Reading the core rule book, GW have out done themselves with the printing quality of this book. The 40K 8th Edition book is some of GW's best printing quality so far, and to me the AoS 2nd Ed. rule book takes the cake on it. Just an incredible feeling book, physically.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    All the Nighthaunt in the Soul Wars set are usable (without being allies) in any Legions of Nagash (Grand Host, Sacrament, Blood, Night) army.

It's on the last page of the 'Battle of Glymmsforge' booklet that comes in Soul Wars.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Hmm I wonder if that means Legions of Nagash is kind of the "main" allegiance list, and Grand Alliance Death is really if you want to mix and match Things like Flesh-eater Courts with Nighthaunt, etc.

According to the new general's handbook, the Nighthaunt Battleline units are the Chainrasp Hordes (the infantry from Soul Wars), the Grimgeist Reapers (the guys with the big scythes), Spirit Hosts, and Hexwraiths.

Hmmm, that means that the Dtat Collecting Nightaunts is fully legal out of the box, because it has a hero and 2 battle line (A Cairn Wraith, 5 Hexwraith cavalry, and 3 sprit hosts)

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Picked up stuff today and saw the Purple Sun in person. Holy shit it is huge.

• Options
    Well, as suns go, it's actually really tiny.

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    But that just means it's super dense.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Still not sure if I want to pick up Malign Sorcery, while some of the Endless spells are undoubtedly very useful and fill in those points gaps in lists (Geminids, cogs, spellportal, maybe Pendulum) I can't see me making much use of the bulk of them.
    I'm quietly hoping they've got some on the way for Deepkin and DoK so I can just stick with a cheaper faction specific box.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    What army can take multiple wizards of different classes that can reliably pop off those endless spells? I kinda want to run something with a bunch of cheap chaff that just spams the hell out of multiple purple suns and evil Pac-Mans.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Badablack wrote: »
    What army can take multiple wizards of different classes that can reliably pop off those endless spells? I kinda want to run something with a bunch of cheap chaff that just spams the hell out of multiple purple suns and evil Pac-Mans.

Legion of Sacrament with the Lords of Sacrament warscroll battalion is a strong one. I'm pretty sure how this works is: Take Arkhan, two necromancers and a Mortis Engine and the three wizards there gets an extra spell attempt. Also, there's an artifact for the Legion of Sacrament that turns either a non-wizard into a wizard, or gives an existing wizard an extra spell attempt per turn.

Just fill in the battle line with hordes of zombies and skeletons and you have a horde army backed by some seriously strong wizards that can cast just so many endless spells.

Extreaminatus on
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    On the one hand, an undead horde marching implacably into its own magical WMDs as they kill indiscriminately sounds rad as hell.

On the other hand, I painted a Mortis engine once. Once.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    Then it should be super easy to do it again!

This discussion has been closed.