As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    That's good. Firebat was saying that once you got past about 4000, you were hitting Rank 6 players and gaining 10 points per win and losing 150 per loss, so climbing became basically impossible.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

It's interesting that they plan on further changes to ranked play.

I wonder how they'll solve the matchmaking problem. One solution that comes to mind for me would be to give people a massive bonus to their Elo rating once they hit Legend, so that it takes a while for them to decay down to lower ranks.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I'm not sure I understand why a larger pool of legends would affect matchmaking though. It was possible in the past to match with lower rank people but way less likely.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Why can't people just lose their way out of Legend ranking instead of getting a Legend ranking that has to somehow match up to the rest of Ranked?

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    I'm not sure I understand why a larger pool of legends would affect matchmaking though. It was possible in the past to match with lower rank people but way less likely.

I think the game has suffered some playerbase attrition after what a wet fart Witchwood has been. I can't be alone in not having logged in in months. Even after the nerfs made the meta "balanced," nothing is fun to play against because all the decks are ultra-powerful apex predators and most games come down to draw order.

• Options
    Ironically, first xpac after rotation is the lowest power level we're going to see all year.

• Options
    I mean I still play but yeah I kinda stopped chasing ladder a long time ago. By the time they got shit fixed my interest had evaporated.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

I think the game has suffered some playerbase attrition after what a wet fart Witchwood has been. I can't be alone in not having logged in in months. Even after the nerfs made the meta "balanced," nothing is fun to play against because all the decks are ultra-powerful apex predators and most games come down to draw order.

You've been missing out on some great quests! I've been doing an arena run a day, it's been great.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Elo is also possibly not the best system for card games. It relies on being able to say that if player A is x mmr better than player B that he should win a certain % of the time, which can easily reach like 70-80%. That's just not something that happens with any regularity once you consider matchups and draw variance.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    imo grindable ladders aren't the best systems for card games period

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Shen wrote: »

You've been missing out on some great quests! I've been doing an arena run a day, it's been great.

I have no intention to ever play this game again, I probably should have been more clear about that.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    For me, Witchwood has been some of the most fun the game's been in a long time. I burned out on Hearthstone ages ago, and often play just a few games a month. After Witchwood, I've been logging in almost every day, at least for a game or two.

I also actually sorta enjoy the single-player content? I still hate that sometimes you just don't get the "correct" treasures and auto-can't-win, or you go up against a boss that needs a very specific deck to win (and there's no way you could have predicted, so you don't have that deck) and auto-lose. But, after I beat Toki, I've been much more relaxed about losing on the other characters.

Mind you, once I finish the single-player (I still have Tess left, and of course Hagatha), I don't think I'll ever come back to it.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    I'm having a blast with this Brawl. Super fucking fun.

I'm rocking a BIG BEAST HUNTER that I made:

V9ySCeP.png
    AAEBAR8G+Aj9rwLGwgKWwwLt0QK26gIAAA==

Use Chess Pieces to carry you til T7/8, drop fatties, win win win.

You know how this deck actually works in practice, though?

On turn 8, your hand will be Kath and all 4 other beasts.

In the next game, your bowman will pull the polymorphed sheep (that used to be the sand worm) instead of Krush or your Devilsaur.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular

I have no intention to ever play this game again, I probably should have been more clear about that.

Ah, it's a shame to lose you. I've definitely been where you're at and frankly I don't see ladder being particularly enjoyable until next rotation because of the existing degeneracy, but hitting all my (dumb, arbitrary) goals means I can actually play this thing casually, and honestly it's a big quality of life improvement.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Just come play Wild. Our only degenerate deck is Big Priest and even then it's not consistent enough to be broken, just annoying.

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

V9ySCeP.png

In the next game, your bowman will pull the polymorphed sheep (that used to be the sand worm) instead of Krush or your Devilsaur.

Your deck is 6 cards and the remaining cards are all Chess Pieces, you have a bigger probability of literally never drawing Kath :p

Also I've yet to run into a Mage that runs Polymorph. Board clears like Meteor or Flamestrike seem to be more common...

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options

V9ySCeP.png

Your deck is 6 cards and the remaining cards are all Chess Pieces, you have a bigger probability of literally never drawing Kath :p

Also I've yet to run into a Mage that runs Polymorph. Board clears like Meteor or Flamestrike seem to be more common...

... and yet, I have yet to actually summon anything with Kath on the three times I've actually gotten to play her.

I've hit 2 mages with Polymorph.

I've had three or more of my 6 bonus cards in-hand before turn 5 in 4 straight games.

• Options
    edited June 2018

V9ySCeP.png

... and yet, I have yet to actually summon anything with Kath on the three times I've actually gotten to play her.

I've hit 2 mages with Polymorph.

I've had three or more of my 6 bonus cards in-hand before turn 5 in 4 straight games.

That's just bad luck then, I mean sorry dude I dunno what to say.

The actual Big Beast Hunter runs into the same problems! It just happens! Not all the time, but sometimes, sure.

Big Priest had the same issues.

These sort of decks are very draw reliant in that you need to not draw the stuff before you play them in order to gain value. And sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    Yay! I finally won with the Beast Deck!

Against a Warlock running Dreadsteed, Cube, Twisting Nether, Shadowflame, and 2 unknowns. So, easy mode, I guess?

He got the Dreadsteed out, Cubed it, then eventually hit the Cube with Shadowflame to ... sorta wipe my board? So, now he had 3 1/1s that basically got eaten on my turn by my pawns, only to appear at the end of his turn (so he didn't even get to attack with them) just to get eaten by pawns again.

He very helpfully spent his turn 8 casting Twisting Nether, which left him with a board of 3 1/1s. That allowed me to drop Kath, who pulled King Krush, going face for 8. Then the opponent conceded.

I'm just not really sure what their plan was, there.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    man I just can't settle on a deck I like for this meta

I keep defaulting to odd paladin like a freaking degenerate, because despite being a great control meta none of the options I've tried really grab me

do people still play cubelock, or has even warlock kinda overtaken it? I see one every once in a while but I can't tell whether it's any good anymore

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    BeastwizardBeastwizard Registered User regular
    Watching HCT day one, I literally can't with these Taunt Druid vs. Taunt Druid games. Sleepy Dragon? More like Sleepy...me?

I'll show myself out.

• Options

I keep defaulting to odd paladin like a freaking degenerate, because despite being a great control meta none of the options I've tried really grab me

do people still play cubelock, or has even warlock kinda overtaken it? I see one every once in a while but I can't tell whether it's any good anymore

They have different matchup spreads. Even is better against combo style decks like Malygos Druid (or Cubelock) and is slightly better against aggro decks. Cube is significantly better against control decks like Taunt Druid, Big Spell Mage, or Taunt Warrior.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

My favorite deck in this meta is Recruit Warrior. It beats Odd Paladin, Even Shaman and Shudderwock Shaman pretty well. You play like a Control Warrior for seven turns, and then you start jamming big charging dinosaurs in people’s faces.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options

Ah, it's a shame to lose you. I've definitely been where you're at and frankly I don't see ladder being particularly enjoyable until next rotation because of the existing degeneracy, but hitting all my (dumb, arbitrary) goals means I can actually play this thing casually, and honestly it's a big quality of life improvement.

I just realized that it's been 3 expansions of "well I'll keep playing until the next thing makes it interesting" and I never was finding it interesting, so it was time to step away.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Yay! I finally won with the Beast Deck!

Against a Warlock running Dreadsteed, Cube, Twisting Nether, Shadowflame, and 2 unknowns. So, easy mode, I guess?

He got the Dreadsteed out, Cubed it, then eventually hit the Cube with Shadowflame to ... sorta wipe my board? So, now he had 3 1/1s that basically got eaten on my turn by my pawns, only to appear at the end of his turn (so he didn't even get to attack with them) just to get eaten by pawns again.

He very helpfully spent his turn 8 casting Twisting Nether, which left him with a board of 3 1/1s. That allowed me to drop Kath, who pulled King Krush, going face for 8. Then the opponent conceded.

I'm just not really sure what their plan was, there.
    Knife juggler OTK?
    Edit- oh wait, that's not a thing anymore.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Watching HCT day one, I literally can't with these Taunt Druid vs. Taunt Druid games. Sleepy Dragon? More like Sleepy...me?

I'll show myself out.
    ResidentSleepyDragon

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    4/12 better than 6/18 at least

• Options
    SensationalSensational Registered User regular
    edited June 2018

I just realized that it's been 3 expansions of "well I'll keep playing until the next thing makes it interesting" and I never was finding it interesting, so it was time to step away.

You had a respectable peak, we will remember fondly your ungoro control dragon priest creation.

Sensational on
  • Options

You had a respectable peak, we will remember fondly your ungoro control dragon priest creation.

Man that deck was so fun.

• Options
    SensationalSensational Registered User regular

Oh yeah, it's the only deck that I've actively played in legend, and got there three seasons in a row without even setting that as a goal - just playing for fun. I'd rate it as my second favorite deck behind patron warrior.

• Options

Oh yeah, it's the only deck that I've actively played in legend, and got there three seasons in a row without even setting that as a goal - just playing for fun. I'd rate it as my second favorite deck behind patron warrior.

This makes me so happy.

• Options
    gunna crosspost this shit since it's like the ONLY other thread i post in :y
    HI THREAD

TODAY'S MY BIRFDAY!!

ALSO, I AM NOW.... 29....

ON THE 29TH...................

(2spoopy)

:bzz:

whooooo :crackle:

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    HI THREAD

TODAY'S MY BIRFDAY!!

(2spoopy)

Welcome to your last year of life!

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    HI THREAD

TODAY'S MY BIRFDAY!!

(2spoopy)

You need one more year to have a full 30. Do you want Hearthstone to fill it?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Brawl only took two matches for a win.

I'd list my cards, but it didn't matter: opponent dropped Keleseth, nothing happened, and they bolted for the exit.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I'm 6-0 this brawl, I need to play more.

Warrior cards were just born for this Brawl.

This was a pretty good example of why Grom is just stupid ridiculous in this brawl (as is armorsmith): https://hsreplay.net/replay/zo8KeXvxXw3cmsHrDmutbT

Thawmus on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    it seems like the easiest/best way to wind this brawl is just to load up on weapons and use them to wipe out the opposing pawns; I did that on paladin and won pretty easily, even though valanyr didn't wind up helping much

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options

it seems like the easiest/best way to wind this brawl is just to load up on weapons and use them to wipe out the opposing pawns; I did that on paladin and won pretty easily, even though valanyr didn't wind up helping much

I've been trying to evaluate whether controlling the board or just going face is better. Because with only 20 health, going face is how I've been winning. Arcanite Reaper alone is half their life.

• Options

One of my opponents got Valanyr to hit a Knight; that was pretty sweet.

• Options
    Betsuni wrote: »
    HI THREAD

TODAY'S MY BIRFDAY!!

(2spoopy)

You need one more year to have a full 30. Do you want Hearthstone to fill it?

How about ... Goldshire Footman?