As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Subnautica] Below Zero Launch on May 14th

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I hope this gets a final release on the Xbox soon.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    I should fire this up again to take screenshots of the ridiculous base I built. I decided getting from the surface to the lost river took too long so I built a base at the LR entrance them straight up.

Turns out long ladders are instant travel! Also turns out that was laggy as hell so plan "build base from surface to lava" had to go, replaced by air stops in the deep LR and lava zone.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    VoodooV wrote: »
    After making a base in the Lost River, finally got into the inactive lava zone and got my first bits of kyanite. Should be enough to get my last upgrades for the prawn and the cyclops. Of course, it turns out I don't have the recipe for the thermal reactor mod for the cyclops so I gotta go back up to the above world and search through some wrecks for that.

Still not quite used to the cyclops. Damned thing is so big and unwieldy. Miss my seamoth where I could zip around like one of the Jetsons. Still just loving the heck out of this game. Surprise hit for me. Can't wait for the Arctic biome DLC

Woah woah, is this a known thing or are you hope speculating?

Medium Dave on
  • Options
    Known thing! Still in the concept art stage from what we've seen publicly.

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Finished it last night. Nice little ending. I had to reload the game to hatch the eggs because they glitched and didn't drop the enzyme the first time through. Wish you could do something more with the Neptune than just end the game. Looks like I had a bug that prevented me from getting the cuddlefish achievement. I hatched two of those things and never got the cheevo. They also never interacted with me. The wiki claimed that they would follow you around or you could get them to do tricks, but I never got that to work. They ignore me totally. Apparently I'm a bad pet owner.

I wanted to make a base in the lava lake, but after a certain point...there just was no point. The only thing really limiting me was drinking water, but I had 2 water filtration plants in my Lost River base, I had a ton of that so making Prawn suit journeys into the Lava Lakes weren't a big deal. I love the base building, but I think I got to the point where I've done everything there was to do. There was a part of me that wanted to swap out all my batteries and power cells for ion versions, but if you've got the thermal reactor mods, and the master arches are all turned on, there just isn't much point. Then there was a part of me that wanted to kill the Sea Dragon Leviathans just so that I wasn't freaking out every time I heard their roar come from behind me, but it's so relatively easy to avoid them, and even if they do damage you, it's trivial damage and easy to repair. Once you get past the big and scary intimidation factor, there isn't much to them.

Still definitely looking forward to the DLC though.

• Options
    RollsavagerRollsavager Registered User regular
    Finished it last night. Nice little ending. I had to reload the game to hatch the eggs because they glitched and didn't drop the enzyme the first time through. Wish you could do something more with the Neptune than just end the game. Looks like I had a bug that prevented me from getting the cuddlefish achievement. I hatched two of those things and never got the cheevo. They also never interacted with me. The wiki claimed that they would follow you around or you could get them to do tricks, but I never got that to work. They ignore me totally. Apparently I'm a bad pet owner.

I wanted to make a base in the lava lake, but after a certain point...there just was no point. The only thing really limiting me was drinking water, but I had 2 water filtration plants in my Lost River base, I had a ton of that so making Prawn suit journeys into the Lava Lakes weren't a big deal. I love the base building, but I think I got to the point where I've done everything there was to do. There was a part of me that wanted to swap out all my batteries and power cells for ion versions, but if you've got the thermal reactor mods, and the master arches are all turned on, there just isn't much point. Then there was a part of me that wanted to kill the Sea Dragon Leviathans just so that I wasn't freaking out every time I heard their roar come from behind me, but it's so relatively easy to avoid them, and even if they do damage you, it's trivial damage and easy to repair. Once you get past the big and scary intimidation factor, there isn't much to them.

Still definitely looking forward to the DLC though.

I think you have to pull the cuddlefish out of the Alien Containment Unit and place them in the open ocean to get interactions. I also think that particular cheevo is bugged (known issue).

I agree that ion tech gets unlocked way too late for it to be useful, which is a shame. It makes a nice time capsule gift, at least.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I was kinda bewildered as to the point of the cuddlefish, seeing as it didn't seem to have a purpose beyond repeatedly getting hit by the Cyclops.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I still think they should've included a cat. Or a dog. Maybe rescued from one of the other life pods.

Just somebody to be waiting for you back in home base after a long day of plumbing the inky abyss. Cuddlefish ain't doin' it for me.

Probably too much work to code in a land-animal that would obey the boundaries of whatever base you build, though.

I still find random fish swimming inside my bedroom.

RT800 on
  • Options
    RT800 wrote: »
    I still think they should've included a cat. Or a dog. Maybe rescued from one of the other life pods.

Just somebody to be waiting for you back in home base after a long day of plumbing the inky abyss. Cuddlefish ain't doin' it for me.

Probably too much work to code in a land-animal that would obey the boundaries of whatever base you build, though.

I still find random fish swimming inside my bedroom.

heh yeah that happened to me. Just walking through my base and a fish "swims" by right in front of me. Just grabbed it and cooked it in the fabricator. Thanks for the easy food!

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I was kinda bewildered as to the point of the cuddlefish, seeing as it didn't seem to have a purpose beyond repeatedly getting hit by the Cyclops.

One of my few complaints to the game is that the Cuddlefish wasn't developed more. It got added in pretty late in development. By the time you can hatch one, you spend most of your time far away from where it would be safest.

In my dreams:
    1. The egg shows up real early
    2. The cuddlefish works as a sort of 'early warning' system for larger predators, and will make noises when something dangerous is near
    3. Each vehicle is modified with a small entrance and holding tank so you can bring it safely with you. So if you enter the cyclops, it swims into a special vent that leads to a fish tank in the cockpit.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »

One of my few complaints to the game is that the Cuddlefish wasn't developed more. It got added in pretty late in development. By the time you can hatch one, you spend most of your time far away from where it would be safest.

In my dreams:
    1. The egg shows up real early
    2. The cuddlefish works as a sort of 'early warning' system for larger predators, and will make noises when something dangerous is near
    3. Each vehicle is modified with a small entrance and holding tank so you can bring it safely with you. So if you enter the cyclops, it swims into a special vent that leads to a fish tank in the cockpit.

Yeah, exactly this. When I got mine, I was already playing around in the Lost River and making my way to the LZ, so it just stayed in my containment. Having a spot for it in the cyclops would be pretty awesome.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Eh, I don't know that I want to take mine everywhere. Having a stay-at-home pet is good... though something aboard the Cyclops, I can see that. (Thing's practically a mobile base.)

• Options
    Eh, I don't know that I want to take mine everywhere. Having a stay-at-home pet is good... though something aboard the Cyclops, I can see that. (Thing's practically a mobile base.)

Maybe on the Seamoth it just sticks to the hull when you enter, with its head in the corner of your view.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    So like a floater, without introducing an annoying list? :/

• Options
    KorhedronKorhedron Registered User regular
    I must agree: I would not want the cuddlefish with me where the "big nasties" lurk around. I't bad enough to watch after myself.
    I did not know that there were plans for an Arctic biome. This news certainly made my day! Thanks! Now I can look forward to more Subnautica fun :)
    On that note; is the developer planning another game at this point? I'd bloody well love a Subnautica 2, but I'd very much like to see another kind of adventure from them. Setting it beneath the waves would just be the icing on the cake.

These are the stories of Dwarf Fortress. Legends have been forged there, and meticulousy gathered in one mighty hub: http://dfstories.com/start-here/
  • Options
    While I am at it, I think they should have added ion batteries much earlier in the game too. By the time you get them, you really only need them for the rocket.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    While I am at it, I think they should have added ion batteries much earlier in the game too. By the time you get them, you really only need them for the rocket.

Yeah, that should be a mid-game item, where you've had enough time without them to appreciate them, but you have enough time left to actually get use out of them.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Korhedron wrote: »
    I must agree: I would not want the cuddlefish with me where the "big nasties" lurk around. I't bad enough to watch after myself.
    I did not know that there were plans for an Arctic biome. This news certainly made my day! Thanks! Now I can look forward to more Subnautica fun :)
    On that note; is the developer planning another game at this point? I'd bloody well love a Subnautica 2, but I'd very much like to see another kind of adventure from them. Setting it beneath the waves would just be the icing on the cake.

The reading I've done on the Arctic DLC is it's basically Subnautica 1.5. It's a whole new map, and a new story.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »

The reading I've done on the Arctic DLC is it's basically Subnautica 1.5. It's a whole new map, and a new story.

From the bits I've heard, a new female protagonist to go with that new story.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

The arctic DLC is going to be basically a new game. New protagonist, new story, new setting. Comes out next year, I'm mega hyped for it.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Ah, wonderful, they had "watery death" and "dark death" and "death by giant predator covered", so nice of them to add "icy death" to the list of primal fears covered by the game.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Instead of hearing them talk about DLC, I’d rather hear them say “yes, we finished the final xbox build for Subnautica”.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    RiboflavinRiboflavin Registered User regular
    Got this on the Steam Sale. I have a couple questions I didn't see answered. For reference I am playing the Story/Survival.

I'm Building my 1st base. It is near the Aurora so I can spend some time looting the area.

How do I tell if it is structurally sound?

Is there any way to see if it is going to eventually leak? Is there something that shows you the numerical value of the integrity?

Does it degrade over time?

Can creatures harm it?

How is structural integrity calculated? I have looked at the wiki but don't quite get it.

Also, for your amusement: Exploring 100m under the ocean in almost pitch black with no light source may lead to drowning in a cave system when you can't find your way out. I'm really enjoying this game...and drowning.

• Options
    The way integrity works is certain things add to your value and certain things reduce it. Building more pieces (ie, making the inside bigger) and adding things like windows will reduce it. Adding foundations or structural wall pieces will add to it. If it ever goes below 0, you'll start getting holes that will leak water, eventually filling up your base until you add points and repair it. It doesn't degrade over time and I don't think it can be damaged.

I don't remember if there's always an HP display or only when it changes, but you can see small white numbers on the left of your screen, IIRC, that show your current base integrity.

If you have a good amount of lithium, an easy way to beef up your integrity is once you've found the blueprint for the multipurpose room, add one of those and put structural supports on all of the walls.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    The way integrity works is certain things add to your value and certain things reduce it. Building more pieces (ie, making the inside bigger) and adding things like windows will reduce it. Adding foundations or structural wall pieces will add to it. If it ever goes below 0, you'll start getting holes that will leak water, eventually filling up your base until you add points and repair it. It doesn't degrade over time and I don't think it can be damaged.

I don't remember if there's always an HP display or only when it changes, but you can see small white numbers on the left of your screen, IIRC, that show your current base integrity.

If you have a good amount of lithium, an easy way to beef up your integrity is once you've found the blueprint for the multipurpose room, add one of those and put structural supports on all of the walls.

Additionally, building below a certain depth adds a multiplier (that scales with increasing depth) to everything that subtracts integrity. The wiki has the depth coefficients.

• Options
    RiboflavinRiboflavin Registered User regular
    Thanks folks. When I get home I'll see if I can find any labels/meters that shows current integrity on parts. It sure would be handy even if you had to scan it.

In general is it better to build multiple small bases or one big base and move it or neither? There are a few interesting areas I want to explore but the completionist in me wants to "finish" an area and move on. (Find all scannables and rare resources)

I haven't been to 200m yet, still pretty early but I'd eventually like to build a deep base so I don't have to waste air swimming to the bottom. However, I don't want to deal with a sinking base I have to constantly repair.

• Options
    Riboflavin wrote: »
    Thanks folks. When I get home I'll see if I can find any labels/meters that shows current integrity on parts. It sure would be handy even if you had to scan it.

In general is it better to build multiple small bases or one big base and move it or neither? There are a few interesting areas I want to explore but the completionist in me wants to "finish" an area and move on. (Find all scannables and rare resources)

I haven't been to 200m yet, still pretty early but I'd eventually like to build a deep base so I don't have to waste air swimming to the bottom. However, I don't want to deal with a sinking base I have to constantly repair.

It really just depends on what works for you! I built a little starter base in the shallows and then built my main big base in a Kelp Forest once I was ready to build in earnest, and dismantled the smaller one because I no longer needed it. Some folks build bases all over so they're never far from resupply. Really what you'll want for diving below 50-100m is the starter vehicle, it's good to build ASAP once you find the blueprints for it.

• Options
    Also a rebreather ASAP.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Go pro, use nothing bigger than a seaglide, put empty bases every few hundred meters for air resupply all the way through the depths.
    l43QhBg.jpg

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Go pro, use nothing bigger than a seaglide, put empty bases every few hundred meters for air resupply all the way through the depths.
    l43QhBg.jpg

These are the things that are muttered in insane asylums.

• Options
    I generally just build one base. The map really isn't big enough to justify the work multiple bases require.

In my dreams there's a version of Subnautica that is procedurally generated (Admittedly, the beauty of this game is very much because of the world being hand painted, as it were) with long, twisting caverns that I explore in my Seamoth...

• Options
    I build at least one big base, and one small scanning base in or on the borders of the Shallows, Kelp, Blood Grass, and Mushroom Forests. Mushroom forest especially is good for mining with the PRAWN.

Next time I play I think my main base will also be Mushroom Forest because it's generally quite safe, as long as you don't get too close to the dunes.

Also there is one plot related thing in the Mushroom Forest that it is convenient to have a resupply base near.

• Options
    I build at least one big base, and one small scanning base in or on the borders of the Shallows, Kelp, Blood Grass, and Mushroom Forests. Mushroom forest especially is good for mining with the PRAWN.

Next time I play I think my main base will also be Mushroom Forest because it's generally quite safe, as long as you don't get too close to the dunes.

Also there is one plot related thing in the Mushroom Forest that it is convenient to have a resupply base near.

Back when it was still early access, I built a base just at the bottom of the dropoff from that one small arm of the safe shallows to the mushroom forest. Without any upgrades yet other than a regular O2 tank. That took some doing. It's a nice location for a base, though.

That was back when there wasn't anything except Reapers beyond there, though.

• Options
    l43QhBg.jpg

It's not as bad as it sounds. I did the lava zoned that way because I hated the Prawn and Cyclops.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    l43QhBg.jpg

Nah. The insane ones don't let you use the seaglide either.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    l43QhBg.jpg

It's not as bad as it sounds. I did the lava zoned that way because I hated the Prawn and Cyclops.

I really like the Cyclops, but I would much rather have explored the narrows of the lava zone in an armoured Seamoth than the Prawn.

• Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    l43QhBg.jpg

I really like the Cyclops, but I would much rather have explored the narrows of the lava zone in an armoured Seamoth than the Prawn.

There are some mods you can install to give the seamoth more depth upgrades. I was thinking of a new playthrough at some point with those. Taking the Cyclops down to the Tree, then seamothing it from there.

• Options
    Seamoth: great craft, or greatest craft?

I made one base, thanks to advice here, near the aurora and smack dab in the middle of multiple biomes which made things easy. Then made my 2nd base in the lost river junction next to 3 heat vents which made power easy. I was going to make a 3rd base in the lava zone, but once you get multiple filtration plants going and the thermal reactor for the prawn, there really isn't a need.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular

I made one base, thanks to advice here, near the aurora and smack dab in the middle of multiple biomes which made things easy. Then made my 2nd base in the lost river junction next to 3 heat vents which made power easy. I was going to make a 3rd base in the lava zone, but once you get multiple filtration plants going and the thermal reactor for the prawn, there really isn't a need.

I think the seamoth is too good. Every other vehicle feels like a downgrade compared to it, in every capacity except for depth (which feels more like an arbitrary limit for gamey reasons than an actual deficiency of the craft).

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

I think the seamoth is too good. Every other vehicle feels like a downgrade compared to it, in every capacity except for depth (which feels more like an arbitrary limit for gamey reasons than an actual deficiency of the craft).

I don't know...the PRAWN suit just made me feel like a badass. Like, I imagine it's how Ripley felt the first time she climbed into a power loader.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |