As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    Purple
    What is she from? That is a beautiful paintjob

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    That’s one of the new Stormcast Eternals, right?

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Yeah, Easy Build Sequitors that come out Saturday. Gw stores have a bunch on hand for painting demos.

I just told the guy I wanted to test a new scheme before my Soul Wars box showed up and he let me have one. I'll probably toss it in one of the display cases there now that it's done. I was planning to buy the pack she comes in anyway.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Purple
    Unrelated, I believe I owe you guys some photos of not-great model airplanes.
    Spoiler: You'll probably think they're great, but I assure you they are not. ;P
    o3dsICW.png
    It's interesting what went well and poorly on each of them. The top one is the one I had problems with the decals (hence why it's got about 5 of the 16 it should have had), but man did the silver and yellow and weathering take nicely. The bottom one I had some real problems with my varnish going on wrong, which totally fucked up the weathering. However the blue on the bottom was absolutely perfect, and the decals pretty much worked (the edges were a little yellow and never truly disappeared). The camo pattern got mauled, and that was my bad, but I learned a lot from fucking it up so much so there's still solid lessons. I've got the final model set aside for later because I actually thought it was a really cool plane and would like to make an effort rather than use it for practice.
    So for now I've got the old Ashlynn D'Elyse alt sculpt in a jar of cleaner, and am working on heavily modifying a HG Julieta's Reginlaze. Ergo, don't hold your breath for my next project. ;)

ArcticLancer on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Those are great!!!

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Purple
    What size of brush would be the equivalent of a monster or vehicle brush?

I picked up a fairly nice 0 & 00 brush based on some recommendations here, but I can't really figure out larger sizing.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Something between 4 and 6 maybe?

Here's a set for example where you can compare those sizes to a size 0.
    https://amazon.com/Vinci-Watercolor-5359-Multiple-Brushes/dp/B0069FC9FO

edit:
    the artice description led me on a short google spree to this article and now I think I have to try out some different brushes.
    cool.conservation-us.org/waac/wn/wn14/wn14-3/wn14-307.html

honovere on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Yeah, Easy Build Sequitors that come out Saturday. Gw stores have a bunch on hand for painting demos.

Oh goodie, I'll get that pack too just because it's an awesome model.

Purple
    honovere wrote: »
    Something between 4 and 6 maybe?

Here's a set for example where you can compare those sizes to a size 0.
    https://amazon.com/Vinci-Watercolor-5359-Multiple-Brushes/dp/B0069FC9FO

edit:
    the artice description led me on a short google spree to this article and now I think I have to try out some different brushes.
    cool.conservation-us.org/waac/wn/wn14/wn14-3/wn14-307.html

Thank you!

That article is actually pretty interesting as well.

Time to go brush shopping when I'm back from vacation.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Purple
    Work continues on the smurfs. WIP Gravis Captain. A lot of his major elements are done but I still have some trim and detail to finish:
    apkky2F.jpg?1
    wKWk2ZR.jpg?1

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Purple
    I didn't paint this, a local PDX commission painter did the work for me, but I am super pleased with it:
    qKlmKGy.jpg?1

Absolutely worthy of being the center piece of my smurfs. There is no way I would have gotten it to look that clean. I'm happy with my own work for most models, don't get me wrong...but there is definitely a step up painting a model with that much intricate inlaid detail.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Purple
    While that is gorgeous, where is his head?

Edit: I'm dumb, they're on the right!

Koreg on
    If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
    edited June 2018
    Purple
    Yeah I had him paint both and magnetize them. Most of my army is helmeted, I have a pretty serious thematic issue with super human power armored soldiers going in to battle without helmets...but I wanted the option to display him with his non-helmeted head.

GnomeTank on
  • JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    A different, worse colour
    B41rJjr.jpg

This is me avoiding buying Soul Wars.

J on
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Dat bronze how do?

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Leadbelcher and a fuck-tonne of Agrax?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    Hashnut copper > brass scorpion > P3 radiant platinum > Stormhost Silver . Healthy doses of sepia/brown washes in the recesses.

• manjimanji Registered User regular
    bike and sidecar that i got from a charity shop, painted in knights of blood colours

DLezTA7.jpg?1

not a great picture, but i couldn't get over the no backpack thing for the gunner, so i maglocked one to the side and ran a cable into him:
    KC71rOd.jpg?1

i'm just gonna pretend it spools in like a vacuum cleaner flex.

Bought some Vallejo White Pumice to try as basing material since GW's basing stuff is shitty expensive in comparison.

72QfJ1al.jpg

Consistency is more gravelly than Stirland Mud. We'll see how this looks when it's dried.

7euchsI.jpg

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Purple
    Alright, this barely counts as painting, and it's definitely not winning any awards any time soon, but I'm reasonably proud of this.

I needed a Modron March for my next D&D game. So I made them from scratch, cutting and etching parts using my Glowforge. Spoilered for lolhuge.
    This is a Monodrone. It's the lowliest of Modrons.
    sBwy3Yb.jpg

This is a Duodrone. It's the second lowest, and honestly I don't like them and they're dumb but these at least look decent.
    Tp7j5zX.jpg

(Parenthetical: Fuck Tridrones. Anyone know where to get slightly-larger-than-a-d4-sized three-sided-pyramid-shaped wood blocks?)

This is a Quadrone. Quadrones are the best. Whenever you think of Modrons, you're probably envisioning Quadrones.
    Xm5RqIm.jpg

And this is Clickclack. Clickclack's a Rogue Modron, which basically means he flipped the bird to the whole "collective hive mind" deal and decided to take up adventuring.
    GcD8Omh.jpg
    Clickclack might be drinking too much coffee nowadays, since going rogue.

Unfortunately for Clickclack, rogues aren't treated kindly, and here he is being chased by the whole march.
    4IPonPi.jpg
    That's six Monodrones, four Duodrones, and fourteen Quadrones. No, the numbers don't make sense. No, I don't care. My players are level 10, they're either going to steamroll this March or get pincushioned to death by it. Win win, either way!

Like I said, baaaarely counts as painted. But I gots a game to run, and no more time to fix the issue. Brass basecoats for everyone! (Except Clickclack, he's special)

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    That is really radrone!
    If you have the time later on, a quick wash + large drybrush will allow you to quickly make them really interesting with no talent required.

Mayday on
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Purple
    Mayday wrote: »
    That is really radrone!
    If you have the time later on, a quick wash + large drybrush will allow you to quickly make them really interesting with no talent required.

Yeah, I'll probably fix these guys later for an unspecified future game. They're too neat to just stuff in a box after one session.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Wash, drybrush, and the lazy man's basing method would make those dudes look pretty great.

• TacoForceTacoForce Registered User regular
    Spoilered for huge
    sgdtjve2o02o.jpg

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Purple
    Modrons <3

@Echo welcome to using vallejo pumice. it is so good

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    Did a test base.
    • Basecoat with Incubi Darkness
    • Drybrush/light stippling with Temple Guard Blue
    • Drybrush with Deepkin Flesh

pt93v1r1jvhz.png

Looks good, but ended up darker than I intended. May try with something lighter than Incubi Darkness, or just keep this so it doesn't grab all the attention from the Tzaangors.

That's a lovely colour and if your tzaangors are similar to the GW paint scheme I wouldn't go lighter.

I'm thinking a very pale blue-white for my Tzaangors. Found this and liked it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8o_xPQUiSU

Ordered some of these pink tufts too, should look suitably psychedelic on a blue-ish base.

jMmBwLd.jpg

Purple
    Echo wrote: »
    Ordered some of these pink tufts too, should look suitably psychedelic on a blue-ish base.

-snip-

Where did you order those from?

I need neon grass for basing my Tyranids.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Echo wrote: »

Oooh, the turquoise ones might be exactly what my Eldar need. The flowers are lovely, too.

Purple
    Been on vacation for two weeks...

... So excited to get back home in a couple days and paint something

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Purple
    I got one of the army painter colored primer cans, and after spraying 3 minis it's clogged. I can't get a replacement, either, since they stopped selling them in my country.

Is it possible to unclog it somehow?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    If only the top is clogged you can probably replace it with one from another spraycan?

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Think it's the can itself, not the nozzle.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I'm not sure how a clog in the can would happen if it was working moments ago. I would indeed try swapping/cleaning the top.

To be patronising, please don't try and poke anything into the can after removing the top or bad things might happen.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    Purple
    It was the nozzle. I took one off another can, and put it on the "busted" can, and it works. It was probably because I didn't empty the nozzle after use (by turning it upside down and spraying until no paint comes out) earlier. I usually don't need to do that with the other cans. Probably different consistency of the paint.

Anyways, problem solved! Thanks, guys.

• MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    AP nozzles (or the tips between the can and the nozzle) have been getting more and more problematic for me, which is a shame because other than that I'm very happy with the spray. I even got in touch with the boss of AP and he sent me a set of replacement nozzles, but I burned through them with just one can and had to throw away the others. So yeah, I'm looking for a better primer :(

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    I've lost 3 or 4 cans of AP because of the damn nozzles.

website_header.jpg
This discussion has been closed.