As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Six Ages - Prequel to King of Dragon Pass

jammujammu 2020 is now.Registered User regular
edited June 2018 in Games and Technology
ojYE1Pd.png

I didn't see a thread for this game. It released yesterday for IOS 9+ (Ipad 2 or better or Iphone/ipod equivalent) and PC/MAC 2019.

"The Golden City lies under a great sheet of ice. Your ancestors rode free, looking for a new home. It took
three hundred years, but your clan finally settled here, in the valley where you hope to find your gods,
recruit help from spirits, and win respect from your fellow Riders. Can you protect your people and
claim your destiny when you’re beset by wizards, lizards, and worse, your barbaric neighbors, the Orlanthi?"

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXl7zCaRI9M

Game happens during the Storm age, before the time started. Evil god Orlanth assassinated the emperor
Yelm the sun and plunged the world in darkness. the World is getting colder as the cold sun is approaching from
the north, covering lands under the ice-sheet. Your ancestors lived in a great city, but fled before it was engulfed
by the ice. They have found a new home multiple times, but the Ice followed and they had to migrate again.
Finally you arrived to the northern shores of Black Eel River. Many other Rider and wheel clans had migrated there
earlier and the land looked promising. You decided to set your roots there.

Six Ages is turn-based game, where year is split into multiple season. On Sacred time you get portents and decide what to focus on.
YNrUX3W.jpg

Each season you can do 2 things and random events happen. You can for example try to Trade, Raid cattle, explore or learn gods mysteries.
On Sea Season your clan plant your seeds. Fire season is idle time and good for raiding. Earth season is harvest time.
Dark Season is the winter when people usually don't travel far. Last season is Storm season which changes from extended dark season to early Sea season.

qibeH9i.jpg

Some warriors from a Wheel-clan is trying to rustle some of my cattle and sheep:
HIbI1gm.jpg

Part of the Explore map. On north side of the River are Rider clans (same as you) and Wheel clans (Similar to you).
On south side of the river are the Ram clans, who worship the hated Orlanth.
syFal67.jpg

Hero Questing is back. This time it is called Rituals, where you enact your gods great accomplishment to change
the world to your favour. This is the background lore for the myth where Busenari find the light. Cows are important
part of your identity and cow mother is central of your pantheon.

cwMxa7J.jpg

A random event
feOmVwA.jpg

It's time to return to the land of Glorantha, gather your kinsmen and Ride like the Wind.

I really loved the King of Dragon Pass and this game is so much improvement over it. It plays similarly, but its much more open with giving out information what happens. Unlike KODP the situation and clans are mostly made for this game, so it has lot of surprises to Glorantha veterans too.

(official website: https://sixages.com/ )

Ww8FAMg.jpg
jammu on

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I've been keeping half an eye on this game, because I really liked King of Dragon Pass, so I figure I'll like this one, too.

But I want to get it for PC, so I guess I'll be keeping half an eye on it some more.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Very interesting, I've been a long time fan of King of Dragon Pass, but this flew under my radar.

Gonna have to be a PC pick for me.

• Options
    SupagoatSupagoat Registered User regular
    I desperately wanted to love KoDP but couldn't because I hadn't read the mythology so my progress was extremely limited. I didn't know the lore behind the rituals so I could rarely successfully perform them and the outcomes basically felt unpredictable/nonsensical/random without that knowledge so the game got very frustrating.

Since Six Ages takes place in time before history, is it more playable by people who haven't studied a 'fictional' mythology? (Since of course all mythology is fictional but most people have some general knowledge of the stuff that actually came from our world's history)

bnet: Supagoat#1884
    Switch: 6589-6405-3399
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Supagoat wrote: »
    I desperately wanted to love KoDP but couldn't because I hadn't read the mythology so my progress was extremely limited. I didn't know the lore behind the rituals so I could rarely successfully perform them and the outcomes basically felt unpredictable/nonsensical/random without that knowledge so the game got very frustrating.

Since Six Ages takes place in time before history, is it more playable by people who haven't studied a 'fictional' mythology? (Since of course all mythology is fictional but most people have some general knowledge of the stuff that actually came from our world's history)

The Heroquest lore is actually in game. It's been quite a while since I played but there is a tab that basically tells you everything about the setting you need to know, including what you need to do to properly emulate the hero quest (and in general what is is expected of you as an Oranthi chieftain.)

In fact, one of the things you could earn were extra details about them that aren't there when you first start that will give you even better odds of success.

Also, there are duckmen in this game too, right? I don't think the game would be complete without them.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    So I see for ios they have six ages and the original KoDP, should I go right to six ages or play the original first? Is there a point to playing the original with six ages now?

• Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    Six ages is much more user friendly than KoDP and requires no knowledge of the previous game.

KoDP is worth to play afterwards if you want another story set in the world.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    a Year later, but Six Ages: Ride like the Wind is finally coming to PC.
    Release date October 17:th

a New trailer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw6xbWZ1Yos

No words yet, when the sequel: "Lights Going Out" on IOS.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    AgusalimAgusalim Registered User regular
    funny to see this as i just got back into kodp again after a while

picked up my old game where i left it off and got an event where the dragon-newts gave me a warning that they didnt like me much

checked my clan history since it had been a while since i played and i saw that we were supposed to be a dragon-hating clan, so i told them to fuck off

about two turns later i get a splash screen saying "dragon-newts killed all of you in one go, lol" so that was a bit of an unpleasant surprise tbh

in conclusion dragon-newts do not fuck about

• Options
    Oh, yeah, when a representative from Group X that isn't one of your fellow clans shows up to tell you how pissed off they are at you, that's basically your final warning before they decide they've had enough of your shit and wipe you out.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I finished my first and so far only game of Six Ages some time ago, and I’m still not sure if my ending was early/late/good/bad/the only ending.

I should take a shot again, but whoo, the lore on these things is so thick that it’s hard to re-immerse yourself.

• Options
    Brian2455Brian2455 Registered User new member
    Agusalim wrote: »
    funny to see this as i just got back into kodp again after a while

picked up my old game where i left it off and got an event where the dragon-newts gave me a warning that they didn't like me much

checked my clan history since it had been a while since i played and i saw that we were supposed to be a dragon-hating clan, so i told them to fuck off

about two turns later i get a splash screen saying "dragon-newts killed all of you in one go, lol" so that was a bit of an unpleasant surprise tbh

in conclusion dragon-newts do not fuck about

It's been quite a while since I played but there is a tab that basically tells you everything about the setting you need to know, including what you need to do to properly emulate the hero quest (and in general what is is expected of you as an Oranthi chieftain.)

In fact, one of the things you could earn were extra details about them that aren't there when you first start that will give you even better odds of success.

• Options
    I've finished a single game of Six Ages by now, and it's very King of Dragon Pass but from the other side's perspective.

I enjoyed it, but I still felt like I was failing until I won, which made the experience kind of exhausting at times. Also, I'm still not a fan of the single narrow path to victory thing.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    wow this game totally flew under the radar for me. I love kodp and this is the first time I've seen anything for this.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    wow this game totally flew under the radar for me. I love kodp and this is the first time I've seen anything for this.

If you love King of Dragon Pass, you have to play Six Ages because it's King of Dragon Pass 2.

Now, I guess some might argue that it's not different enough from King of Dragon Pass, but King of Dragon Pass-likes aren't exactly an overstuffed genre.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Wishlisted for sure, it's December so I'm trying to not to spend too much money on myself :P

I'm happy to see the advisor system back. Every time I give Crusader Kings 2 another go, I wish I had that ring of advisors telling me what they think I should be doing.