As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fortnite] Sprint forever!

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Started playing again today. Turns out my Plankerton storm base was wiped. Gonna start rebuilding. Do mobs still follow paths or do they just always beat up on walls?

There was some bug that apparently wiped out everyone's bases, but you were supposed to get that back in materials (and traps?) in your inventory, but they're also trying to cut down on what people used to do with holding hundreds and thousands of things in their overfilled stash, so hopefully that's all around still. That said, depending on how far in you are, getting you set back up shouldn't be too much trouble.

Mob pathing is something I've read a bit about, and the general consensus seems to be that the husks want a path to the objective to be within 3 tiles of them, or they'll start punching through walls, so as long as you give them a corridor through whatever barriers you're using to funnel them (a trap tunnel, in the vernacular of the community), they generally won't bother trying to mess with said walls. There are some other weird pathing bits, like how Smashers won't generally charge at targets if stairs are in their way (facing out), as it makes the path to the objective too difficult (instead they walk up and try to beat it down). Forming a pyramid over the objective will let them charge, but they'll run right over it, which is always hilarious to me. Supposedly half floors work for this too, but I rarely put them to use in a way that'd make it obvious (where you take away 2 of the 4 blocks that make the floor so you get a 2 x 1 floor and a balcony railing).

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    My stash had all the stuff from the build in it so I didn't lose anything. I wish there was a way to consistently test the pathing though for the new build. I have a floor plan laid out but I have no idea if it will work.

Playing with randoms is still a huge toss up on whether people will go off and do their own thing while other people start the mission and then we fail or whether the group works together.

Failed so many missions because people want to do quest stuff and then we fail and they lose all progress anyway.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    Is there some kind of weird new meta where people don't build traps to defend against the zombies? I've had some really bad runs because of that lately.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Oh, I still got a friend code invite to Save the World. Someone want it?

Number One Tricky
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    a nu start wrote: »

Does it matter what platform you are on ? Cause I will take it if no one else wants it.

a nu start wrote: »

Does it matter what platform you are on ? Cause I will take it if no one else wants it.

Don't know, give it a whirl.

Number One Tricky
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Thanks dude will do!

edit- It worked , thanks again dude!

EspantaPajaro on
    Stragint wrote: »
    Is there some kind of weird new meta where people don't build traps to defend against the zombies? I've had some really bad runs because of that lately.

I feel there are two answers to this.

If it's a mid/lower level mission and there's at least one fairly high level player, the resulting massive boost in power to the lower players usually means not having to worry about trapping too hard, maybe a bit if it's a 4 player (or increased difficulty) map. This happens more these days because the re-perk/perk-up system incentivizes higher players to go into lower zones for uncommon/rare/epic perk-up.

If the missions are failing or just going badly, it does sound like people aren't even doing cursory trapping, which yeah, sucks. I usually play a constructor, and my first focus is on the primary base itself. Once I'm done that, I'll assess the area and see if there are some quick/easy ways to improve things (if I can push husks into a pit or off a cliff, odds are good it's gonna be set up), but I've been generally lucky enough that while I'm doing the base, someone is often building at least one or two walls in the main paths, so I help with that/upgrade a bit and maybe throw down some traps.

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    On lower level Canny I sometimes don't trap at all, just make the standard box with reverse stairs to ward off smashers and make simple tier 2 walls to funnel the horde a bit. If we start maxing difficulty then maybe I'll throw in some L-bend funnels with ceiling traps though.

Really wish they would add alternate element ceiling traps... even on lower level missions some fire husks will get through.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    If I'm building the objective defenses, I will usually just build the box plus fence grid with maybe some spikes on the outer fence. 2-3 people with decent weapons should deliver enough firepower to make such a minimalist approach work.

• Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    The average players on the Switch version of this game are exactly as bad as you think they are right now.
    Got to top 5 in my first game (strongly suspect I would've won but I was playing handheld mode and a joycon disconnect gave somebody the chance to sneak up on me) and there was only one other tower in a pretty small circle.
    Also got a personal best kill count in the same game. Real easy pickings right now, and I can understand why because it took me a hot minute to really get the hang of trying to even aim while using the thing in portable mode.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
    I was really hoping the Switch had Save the World on it. Can't say I'm surprised it doesn't.

Number One Tricky
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    This needs a signal boost and sony needs a whoopin about it.

https://youtu.be/A1N-TTwYIJw

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular

I've seen the sentiment everywhere, I don't think it's been lost on Sony at this point.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Dang.
    Fortnite was released on the Nintendo Switch shortly before noon ET yesterday, and the game has already racked up 2 million downloads on the Switch eShop, according to Nintendo.

“Fortnite’s launch went extremely well — we had more than 2 million downloads in less than 24 hours,” Reggie Fils-Aime, president and chief operating officer of Nintendo of America, told Polygon in an interview at E3 2018 today. “I think that speaks to the power of the franchise, the engagement of our players and the resonance of being able to play it anytime, anywhere.”

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

I've seen the sentiment everywhere, I don't think it's been lost on Sony at this point.

I feel like the main reason this is blowing up the way it is... is because of microtransactions. Were this a normal game, it would still be a thing but I bet a lot more people would also go "Welp, guess I'll just start over". But because there are microtransactions, because there are people who have spent and invested money into the game, the idea of being told that you have to literally throw that cash investment into the trash, yeah it's little wonder people are getting rightfully pissed off at Sony for this.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I was wondering if I should give one of these BR games a shot. I know this is a fortnight thread, but which game would be a good starting point? Should I start with PubG, fortnight, Realm Royals, or something else?

I’ve watched some PubG and it seems the most “Normal” and generic of the bunch. Fortnight looks a bit too crazy with all the buildings. Am I wrong or on the right path?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I was wondering if I should give one of these BR games a shot. I know this is a fortnight thread, but which game would be a good starting point? Should I start with PubG, fortnight, Realm Royals, or something else?

I’ve watched some PubG and it seems the most “Normal” and generic of the bunch. Fortnight looks a bit too crazy with all the buildings. Am I wrong or on the right path?

I would say Fortnite, since if you don't end up liking it you won't be out any money.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    Realm Royal is also free, and probably much easier to just jump into and have a good shake at winning.
    The building really is the hardest thing to overcome in Fortnite, if you don't get a handle on it then your odds of winning games plummet through the floor. Personally I find it bags of fun even though I'm still a build potato so ymmv

I'd still give the edge to Fortnite over RR just because I think the shooting is a bit better. The abilities add some cool shit to RR though so ultimately I guess I'm saying try both of them, see what sticks?

You're on the money with PUBG being the most normal shooter experience. I find it a hard game to recommend despite how much fun it is, purely because it has a very real hacker problem and Bluehole have been kind of a set of dickheads

• drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    I really want to play Save the World on Switch.

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Sounds like Realm Royale is the one you want. It's free so there's nothing to lose if you don't like it, and it doesn't have the building aspect of Fortnite. Realm Royale also has RPG elements which is cool. PUBG is hard to recommend because it costs money, and even the full release on PC is still pretty messy.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    One thing to keep in mind about Realm Royale is that it is still in alpha so it is a lot rougher around the edges than Fortnite or PubG. A couple of streamers I've watched have mentioned that the hitboxes are huge and there needs to be a bunch of balance changes made since some classes are on the OP side. If you can put up with that and are looking to get good at it before the general public then it looks like fun.

steam_sig.png
    I really want to play Save the World on Switch.

I wonder if the switch can't handle the hordes of zombies, and/or if they'd have to massively scale it back to work. I mean Hyrule Warriors works fine, so you'd think it wouldn't be an issue. Maybe STW is just really terribly optimized.

Will Save the World be coming to the Switch?

We have no plans to bring Save the World to the Switch.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Realm Royale's hit boxes and balance changes should be coming in hot with fast patches thanks to streamers picking it up. Much to the dismay of the Paladins community.

Fortnite is a good pick too, if you can wrap your head around building stuff on the fly. Also free, so couldn't hurt to try them both out and see if you like either of them :D

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Talith wrote: »
    Will Save the World be coming to the Switch?

We have no plans to bring Save the World to the Switch.

Well that's sad. But I guess why spend money on the thing that isn't Battle Royale at this point, right?

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    They may change their tune if the userbase is big enough, they got 2 million Switches in like a day right?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I imagine Save the World has a lot more Client side things that maybe are harder to handle on the Switches hardware.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
    It really annoys me that Battle Royale seems to be getting a majority of the support. They had that huge Battle Royale tournament but the campaign isn't even fully released yet.

Sony response:

“We’re always open to hearing what the PlayStation community is interested in to enhance their gaming experience,” it said.

“With… more than 80 million monthly active users on PlayStation Network, we’ve built a huge community of gamers who can play together on Fortnite and all online titles.

“We also offer Fortnite cross-play support with PC, Mac, iOS, and Android devices, expanding the opportunity for Fortnite fans on PS4 to play with even more gamers on other platforms.”

“We have nothing further to add beyond this at this point.”

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Sony can get fucked then.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    Sony response:

“We’re always open to hearing what the PlayStation community is interested in to enhance their gaming experience,” it said.

“With… more than 80 million monthly active users on PlayStation Network, we’ve built a huge community of gamers who can play together on Fortnite and all online titles.

“We also offer Fortnite cross-play support with PC, Mac, iOS, and Android devices, expanding the opportunity for Fortnite fans on PS4 to play with even more gamers on other platforms.”

“We have nothing further to add beyond this at this point.”

And the thing is that someone is being paid a very nice six-figure salary to be the Official Sony Spokesman and write stuff like this.

Yeah, that list of notes brought a smile to my face. It's been a long time in the making, but seeing improvements/updates/actual work on the CV biome and quest line is an objectively good thing to finally get some movement on.

Is anybody playing BR on PS4? I need to get the disco ball challenge knocked out but can't scrounge up enough people on my friends list who play. Help would be appreciated.

• TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    I did all my challenges, dailies every day, and I'm still not 65?

Fix your game, Epic.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
    Pushing the ranks is a massive chore. Feels like if you aren't getting into the deep water of a game or flat out winning it then you're going to be struggling to see any real XP gains.
    I'm at like 48 right now (granted I did take some time off so it might be entirely down to that) and I don't know if I'll even be able to get to 55 for the Omega face plate, let alone 65 for the max Carbide stuff. And getting to 80 is basically going to be impossible so yeah I would definitely like for them to retune the way leveling works.

We’re back with another roadmap! Since our last update we released our State of Development blog, our Blockbuster event story line is wrapping up in 4.5, and added the ability to get what you want right out of the Collection Book. We still have plenty to do and plenty of surprises on the horizon. Thanks for making Fortnite an awesome place to play!

Here’s a look at what’s coming up:

Patch 5.0 (Week of 7/9)

Challenge the Horde!

New Flintlock weapons

New Wild West Heroes

5.0 Content Update (Week of 7/16)

New Assault Rifle in the Weekly Store

Patch 5.1 (Week of 23)

Canny Valley Act 1

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Made the mistake of playing a bit of Warframe before Fortnite and boy did I ever feel like I was running through thick oil for the first five minutes.

steam_sig.png
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Finally bought StW with this sale going on and I kind of love it.

The tutorial is worthless, but it scratches a fun itch of F2P stuff without really tempting me to buy a bunch of loot pinatas.

PAD ID - 328,762,218