We're going to be adding some advertisements to the forums! If you notice any weirdness around this or spot bad/inappropriate ads, please make a thread in the bugs forum.

A question about ban mechanics.

SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
So, just a little something I'm curious about. I've noticed that sometimes, users seem to be able to post for a while after their ban is announced. Is there a "time delay" on bans going into effect?

pa_sig.jpg
SpaceDrake on

Posts

  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited November 2006
    SpaceDrake wrote:
    So, just a little something I'm curious about. I've noticed that sometimes, users seem to be able to post for a while after their ban is announced. Is there a "time delay" on bans going into effect?

    The time delay is mods going to click the button. It works the other way too. People will be banned and have no clue why until the mod remembers to post about it.

    Aroduc on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2006
    Nope, it just means that the mod announced the ban before performing it. I banned myself an hour ago for kicks and it went through right away. There's also an annoying feature of the banning system that sometimes fucks up the ban and takes a few minutes to fix.

    Tube on
    Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
    This hurts but I deserve it

  • LinksvilleLinksville Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yeah, I hope alpha fixes that or makes sure it's not present in the new forum.

    Linksville on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Aroduc wrote:
    SpaceDrake wrote:
    So, just a little something I'm curious about. I've noticed that sometimes, users seem to be able to post for a while after their ban is announced. Is there a "time delay" on bans going into effect?

    The time delay is mods going to click the button. It works the other way too. People will be banned and have no clue why until the mod remembers to post about it.

    Chances are if someone screwed up enough to get banned then they have a good idea what they did. It isn;t like the rules are all top secret around here.

    Just_Bri_Thanks on
    We are the skeletons in our closets.
    We are the monsters under our beds.
  • anyprophetanyprophet Registered User
    edited November 2006
    Or you could be banned because you think the jail system is stupid.

    anyprophet on
    chatthreadsig.png
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    anyprophet wrote:
    Or you could be banned because you think the jail system is stupid.
    You could also be banned for complaining about moderator decisions in an on-topic thread.

    I'm not saying this is happening to anyone right now, but hey, it's right there in the rules threads in pretty much every forum. So you could be.

    Captain K on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    See? The Defense rests, your honor.

    Just_Bri_Thanks on
    We are the skeletons in our closets.
    We are the monsters under our beds.
  • anyprophetanyprophet Registered User
    edited November 2006
    K: I was referring to Imran. He wasn't banned because of the post he made. So, hypothetically, if you had not told him why he was banned, he would have assumed it was for the post he made.

    anyprophet on
    chatthreadsig.png
  • EchoEcho Moderator mod
    edited November 2006
    Banning is also what happens when people stop giving a shit about getting jailed.

    Echo on
    Echo wrote: »
    Let they who have not posted about their balls in the wrong thread cast the first stone.
  • Soviet WaffleSoviet Waffle Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    During the H/A threads where people act like Jack Asses. I don't think people realize the iron fist will come down on you (And go up in you) when you screw around in there

    Soviet Waffle on
    League of Legends: Studio
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Nope, it just means that the mod announced the ban before performing it. I banned myself an hour ago for kicks and it went through right away. There's also an annoying feature of the banning system that sometimes fucks up the ban and takes a few minutes to fix.
    Wait, huh? You can ban yourself? A, I didn't know that. B, who unbanned you, yourself or someone else. B1, if you unbanned yourself, what the fuck?

    Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    mtvcdm wrote:
    Nope, it just means that the mod announced the ban before performing it. I banned myself an hour ago for kicks and it went through right away. There's also an annoying feature of the banning system that sometimes fucks up the ban and takes a few minutes to fix.
    Wait, huh? You can ban yourself? A, I didn't know that. B, who unbanned you, yourself or someone else. B1, if you unbanned yourself, what the fuck?
    He probably just set a 5-minute expiration on it.

    Bans expire automatically, unlike jailing.

    Thanatos on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    mtvcdm wrote:
    Nope, it just means that the mod announced the ban before performing it. I banned myself an hour ago for kicks and it went through right away. There's also an annoying feature of the banning system that sometimes fucks up the ban and takes a few minutes to fix.
    Wait, huh? You can ban yourself? A, I didn't know that. B, who unbanned you, yourself or someone else. B1, if you unbanned yourself, what the fuck?
    He probably just set a 5-minute expiration on it.

    Bans expire automatically, unlike jailing.

    Actually Tube has direct database access.

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    mtvcdm wrote:
    Nope, it just means that the mod announced the ban before performing it. I banned myself an hour ago for kicks and it went through right away. There's also an annoying feature of the banning system that sometimes fucks up the ban and takes a few minutes to fix.
    Wait, huh? You can ban yourself? A, I didn't know that. B, who unbanned you, yourself or someone else. B1, if you unbanned yourself, what the fuck?
    He probably just set a 5-minute expiration on it.

    Bans expire automatically, unlike jailing.
    Actually Tube has direct database access.
    Oh, yeah, I forgot about that.

    It'd be easier than setting the expiration.

    Thanatos on
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    mtvcdm wrote:
    Nope, it just means that the mod announced the ban before performing it. I banned myself an hour ago for kicks and it went through right away. There's also an annoying feature of the banning system that sometimes fucks up the ban and takes a few minutes to fix.
    Wait, huh? You can ban yourself? A, I didn't know that. B, who unbanned you, yourself or someone else. B1, if you unbanned yourself, what the fuck?
    He probably just set a 5-minute expiration on it.

    Bans expire automatically, unlike jailing.

    Actually Tube has direct database access.
    Mordrack wrote:
    Sshh, Tube might accidentally subnet ban the whole north east coast again.

    MechMantis on
    dkj3oHf.jpg
  • JCMJCM Registered User
    edited November 2006
    Very interesting ban system, at least you uys makeit work well, unlike the pvp forums, where theres only a perma-ban, and too much spam and off-topic posts.

    Do you guys have a "noose" thread ala the CAD forums, with the users who have been banned, with links to their "crime" and the period of the ban?

    I found that very useful. Anyway, keep up the modding.

    JCM on
  • ManyorcasManyorcas Registered User
    edited November 2006
    JCM wrote:
    Very interesting ban system, at least you uys makeit work well, unlike the pvp forums, where theres only a perma-ban, and too much spam and off-topic posts.

    Do you guys have a "noose" thread ala the CAD forums, with the users who have been banned, with links to their "crime" and the period of the ban?

    I found that very useful. Anyway, keep up the modding.

    *Points up at the stickies in this forum section*

    There's your ban thread right there.

    Manyorcas on
Sign In or Register to comment.