As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NBA] Thread: Dame Ascending to Final Form

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    renouncing someone sounds so serious

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Rondo? That should be interesting.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018

What even

EDIT: It's 1 year/$9 million per BR

Goose! on
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Rondo, Lance, and JaVale on the same team

LeBron turned on hard mode

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Imagine if Boogie signs too?

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I don't know what the hell they are going for.

The Lakers do know you don't win anything for signing the most players, right?

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    little known fact, if you get every meme player on your team at once you shoot the moon and they just give you the championship.

bold play by la here.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    i wish i knew enough about the nba to know the context for all of these signings

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    i wish i knew enough about the nba to know the context for all of these signings

Lebron went from playing with 1 major knucklehead to 3 plus Lavar Ball.

This is not a good roster

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    There is now a chance for a Lance, Lonzo, LeBron, Rondo and Javale McGee lineup to happen and I cannot wait to see LeBron's expression when it does.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
    alxk6qmyybxa.jpeg
    ph blake wrote: »
    There is now a chance for a Lance, Lonzo, LeBron, Rondo and Javale McGee lineup to happen and I cannot wait to see LeBron's expression when it does.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    It's kind of amazing that Lebron wasn't going to be able to win another championship with the cavs in the East

so he goes to the Lakers in the west with an objectively worse lineup

Like, he must clearly not give a shit anymore

I wonder if Lebron knew any of these moves ahead of time

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Rondo is gonna fistfight Lavar

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    It's kind of amazing that Lebron wasn't going to be able to win another championship with the cavs in the East

The millions of dollars and not having to work in Cleveland probably makes it easier.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    If they trade Lavar I'll feel alot better about rooting for them.

However, they got rid of Randle which is a negative.

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Maybe LA is trying to collect some mid range assets to help with trades for other players.

• The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    I am going to enjoy watching Walton try to impose order on this group.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    The Judge wrote: »
    I am going to enjoy watching Walton try to impose order on this group.

The last trade will be for Gregg Popovich.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    At this point the Lakers are playing for next year, which is smart. They have LeBron committed for multiple years, something Cleveland was never able to do, and they’re more than willing to continue to let their young core continue to develop. I know most of you didn’t watch the Lakers last year, but they were way more competitive than people will give them credit for - split season series with the Celtics, 76ers, Cavs, Rockets, and took GS to OT multiple times. Now you add LeBron and some veterans to help that development, and they should be able to get to the playoffs this year.

Then, all these deals are for one year, so they again have a max slot next year, where they can then sign Kawhi (or Klay Thompson) or any number of free agents outright without giving up assets. This isn’t a “let’s win the championship right away” thing like LeBron’s last 2 moves, but clearly a longer-term outlook.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227

The player is Lonzo. You can't trade a dad.

edited July 2018
    Nirya wrote: »
    At this point the Lakers are playing for next year, which is smart. They have LeBron committed for multiple years, something Cleveland was never able to do, and they’re more than willing to continue to let their young core continue to develop. I know most of you didn’t watch the Lakers last year, but they were way more competitive than people will give them credit for - split season series with the Celtics, 76ers, Cavs, Rockets, and took GS to OT multiple times. Now you add LeBron and some veterans to help that development, and they should be able to get to the playoffs this year.

Then, all these deals are for one year, so they again have a max slot next year, where they can then sign Kawhi (or Klay Thompson) or any number of free agents outright without giving up assets. This isn’t a “let’s win the championship right away” thing like LeBron’s last 2 moves, but clearly a longer-term outlook.

Seems like an odd play to punt the 1st year of 3 you'll for sure have LeBron for. But maybe they're playing 4D chess and they'll snag enough dudes to counter Houston and GS

Goose! on
    Goose! wrote: »

The player is Lonzo. You can't trade a dad.

They really ought to try though

Goose! wrote: »

Seems like an odd play to punt the 1st year of 3 you'll for sure have LeBron for. But maybe they're playing 4D chess and they'll snag enough dudes to counter Houston and GS

It's clearly a move revolving around GS. The Lakers are assuming the cap situation becomes untenable for the Warriors soon, either making it so they don't end up with much of a bench, or that they can swoop in and grab someone (probably Klay but KD keeps getting thrown out there) with their extra money. To go further, it'll be easier to move Luol Deng's contract next year when its an expiring deal, thus freeing up more money.

But again, the Lakers last year improved by 9 games despite having the vast majority of their minutes played by guys under the age of 24 (the only consistent rotation piece over that age was Brooke Lopez). It's not unreasonable to assume that improvement continues going forward.

t70pctuqq2uv.png

The Lakers literally traded Clarkson and Nance to the Cavs just to free up the cap space to sign LeBron, and those two are awful.

The Lakers roster without LeBron is clearly better than the Cavs roster without him, and I'm not sure how that is even a debate.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    I KNOW THE PLAYER IS LONZO.

Calling him Lavar is the joke because he has way too much of a hand in his kids' careers.

Randle to the Pelicans.

If they somehow manage to get Boogie back I'll have to root for them.

Shitting on Lebron’s teammates is a rich tradition

• burboburbo Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Xehalus wrote: »

This is terrible and ESPN should feel bad

Now someone tell me how awful the Blazers are doing so far

Blazers let Ed Davis go for 4.4 million, missed out on Hezonja to the Knicks, and signed Stauskas to the minimum.

So, not great!

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

The Lakers literally traded Clarkson and Nance to the Cavs just to free up the cap space to sign LeBron, and those two are awful.

The Lakers roster without LeBron is clearly better than the Cavs roster without him, and I'm not sure how that is even a debate.

Nance could get better but Clarkson is legit terrible.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    edited July 2018

100% correct and it's frustrating how many people are acting as if this current roster is them in immediate win-now mode. The big second act comes next year when they stretch Deng and can sign Kawhi without giving up Ingram, Kuzma, or even Lonzo. Gutting their young core for an asset who wants to be on their team and they can sign outright next year makes no sense, it removes a large portion of the basketball incentive LeBron had for going to LA in the first place.

Kasyn on
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I love Randle, but I don't see how him, Boogie, and AD can all be on the same roster.

Something else is coming.

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Trae Young is building a house in this summer league game fffffff

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    Trae Young is building a house in this summer league game fffffff

On one hand...summer league

On the other, Trae Young is going to be a Jonny Flynn level bust.

Maximum wrote: »
    I love Randle, but I don't see how him, Boogie, and AD can all be on the same roster.

Something else is coming.

Boogie is coming off the bench.

To spell Holiday.

Point Boogie

Curry to the Blazers.

Seth that is

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Kasyn wrote: »
    Gutting their young core for an asset who wants to be on their team and they can sign outright next year makes no sense

Where have I heard this before

• KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Kasyn wrote: »
    Gutting their young core for an asset who wants to be on their team and they can sign outright next year makes no sense

Where have I heard this before

PG re-signing in OKC was a wildly irrational move. I think all of the free agents in the known universe being considered as good as in Los Angeles for the past 5 years has been absurd as fuck, but LeBron with a long-term contract on the team changes the dynamics considerably. Not to say they won't change again if Kawhi ends up in any number of other basketball situations.

The Lakers actually have a path to be competitive in two years, and that path does not involve overpaying for Kawhi this season.

Kasyn on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
This discussion has been closed.