As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 5E] Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    JPants wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »
    So yeah, I don't think it's my problem, but rather PbP is not a good way to RPG, and IRC, Tabletop or real life is just better.

Some folks like myself don't have the ability to play IRL, or the time chunks to commit for IRC/Roll20 style games, despite really wanting to. PbP is better than nothing. So far I've only played in one PbP game (fizzled for some reason i can't recall) and I personally enjoyed the hell out of it and didn't find the posting part of things to be particularly difficult or time consuming. But that was only a single game and it didn't get too far so my perspective is limited.

Jdark's Star Wars one? Nope

discrider on
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Well, perhaps you have a different definition of ghosting than I do.
    Mine is 'not posting every week'.
    Which still kills the momentum, but doesn't outright kill the game.

Mine is "disappearing without any explanation or notice".

Steelhawk wrote: »
    Well, perhaps you have a different definition of ghosting than I do.
    Mine is 'not posting every week'.
    Which still kills the momentum, but doesn't outright kill the game.

Mine is "disappearing without any explanation or notice".

Yeah...
    I feel like the former leads to the latter eventually.
    I don't know.

• DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Personally I really like PbPs. I enjoy the slower, more thoughtful pace. I enjoy being able to take an hour to post instead of having to come up with something on the spot. I enjoy having a reason to practice Photoshop. The bite-size bits of RPG experience are satisfying for me. To this day two of my all-time favorite games were ones I ran on this very forum.

I have a lot of trouble getting what I have in my head onto the screen.

That's totally fair. Different strokes for different folks. I have a really hard time with story games in person because the amount of improv burns me out really quickly. I've always fancied myself an amateur (very amateur) writer so PbPs are a good fit for me.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    I like to flirt with PbP. like right now I'm drafting up posts as intro for next week's session since there won't be game this week for my players.

(Instead i get to play in a game this week, and i am so unbelievably pumped)

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Let me ask, I'm sure there's no wrong/right answer to this, but: How much information do you share with players outside of sessions as far as the direction the campaign is going? I'm kind of running an episodic homebrew campaign (as we had with a one shot and now I'm just continuing things) As its basically based in a port city and the players have access to a ship, I can move locations around and have more location based quests and then have them return home to resupply and such. The issue is we're at a crossroads right now, the party having defeated the Oni I had talked about previously (killed it with fire), and the last session ended so hastily I couldn't in-universe present their paths to them via a job board, so I just laid out the options to them OOC. My plan then, is instead of going to the job board, they'll just be met by a representative handling the mission at the docks and have them transmit the job directly to them so they can get on with it but still get to RP with the quest giver.

Would it be going too far to talk about mechanically what kind of game they should be expecting? (for instance, a Mission to take out a Pirate King will be like a MGS infiltration mission where they'll be dropped in enemy territory and left to their own devices) I feel like its only fair as part of the give and take of prepping things...

Since you've got a representative to give them missions, then just use that representative to RP that information to them. "Pirate King Crusack has managed to outflank every fleet sent against him. His own fleet is strong enough that it has either sank or captured 26 ships in just the last three months alone. Two of the ships they captured were royal warships. A frontal attack is very clearly suicide. My benefactor has determined that a small team, snuck in past Crusack's blockade onto his island, is the only realistic chance to deal with this problem. We think you're that team. Are you?"

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Denada wrote: »
    Personally I really like PbPs. I enjoy the slower, more thoughtful pace. I enjoy being able to take an hour to post instead of having to come up with something on the spot. I enjoy having a reason to practice Photoshop. The bite-size bits of RPG experience are satisfying for me. To this day two of my all-time favorite games were ones I ran on this very forum.

One of my all-time favorite bullshit moves I ever pulled off as a player happened in one of your PbPs!

• NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    I honestly love play by post. The roleplay usually comes out thicker in that setting. The story evolves at a much slower pace and as a DM I've had to balance out the pacing with the format in mind, but in generally works well. I've been wanting to start up one again and didn't consider previously trying on these forums but maybe it would work out.

Obviously the biggest issue as a DM has been combat. It's slow, no two ways about it. I've tried various solutions with mixed results all around. I've had each round played out like normal. Obviously the headache here is if people are slow or not. I've tried to enforce "combat days" that people try and be able to check back on the post a few times that day so that it doesn't last longer than two days or so worth depending on how in depth it gets.

I've also tried to have each player give a priority system to the spells/abilities they have at the start of combat. Kind of like building a script of "Prioritize this unless this happens to the enemy/friend and then focus this if possible". In this situation, with all parties agreeing, I simulate the combat off screen at home and see how things roll out. Then, I post the results in a descriptive story format for everyone to read what happens. This has also found some success but still has the pitfalls for players that want to be hands on during every round compared to players that are there for the story beats and roleplaying while combat they are fine having automated.

Ghosting players CAN be an issue but there has been a campaign I've tried to run a couple times that can easily solve this issue and have them replaced without interfering with the story and in fact lends to it.

Any other PbP DMs on here have any of their own experiences with combat?

edited July 2018
    I didn't think it was too terrible, actually. Yes it was slow, of course it was. Most combats took days, (maybe even a week for that stirge room?) to finally resolve. But in my experience with my Undermountain game, we really plowed through most of those combats. Each player posted at least once per day, maybe more. Some days were downright exciting! Where I would check back into the forums way too often on a work day to see if someone had posted something that pushed the story or the combat along.

I used block initiative for the bad guys, was a little loose on the actual turn order of the good guys for 90% of the fights. I made liberal use of @'ing the next player in a combat round or if a narrative needed some advancing. I never meant to rush or harass anyone, but was not shy about prodding. Some of the players at various times would use PM to ask me about the wild crazy things they wanted to do. I had stat blocks up and well maintained throughout a combat, and almost always used a map. That really helps cut down on a lot of "Where is he and where am I?" and "Whats his AC?" kind of questions that really bog down combat... I'm sure there are other tips/tricks I used that I picked up over the years of playing in 4e pbp's here.

My players can chime in on their experiences if they want, but from my side of the Internet it went pretty well! :)

Steelhawk on
  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    I've only played in one PbP and it died pretty quickly, but I did enjoy the difference in playstyle. I'm not super great at improv so my in person roleplaying, while not terrible, can feel a tad awkward. I also tend to want to think through before responding and am not very assertive, so I tend to be more passive during play. Being able to take a few minutes to write up a post on how my character completes an action or views a situation gives me an opportunity to let that creativity out.

It's a refreshing change of pace.

• JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    I didn't think it was too terrible, actually. Yes it was slow, of course it was. Most combats took days, (maybe even a week for that stirge room?) to finally resolve. But in my experience with my Undermountain game, we really plowed through most of those combats. Each player posted at least once per day, maybe more. Some days were downright exciting! Where I would check back into the forums way too often on a work day to see if someone had posted something that pushed the story or the combat along.

I used block initiative for the bad guys, was a little loose on the actual turn order of the good guys for 90% of the fights. I made liberal use of @'ing the next player in a combat round or if a narrative needed some advancing. I never meant to rush or harass anyone, but was not shy about prodding. Some of the players at various times would use PM to ask me about the wild crazy things they wanted to do. I had stat blocks up and well maintained throughout a combat, and almost always used a map. That really helps cut down on a lot of "Where is he and where am I?" and "Whats his AC?" kind of questions that really bog down combat... I'm sure there are other tips/tricks I used that I picked up over the years of playing in 4e pbp's here.

My players can chime in on their experiences if they want, but from my side of the Internet it went pretty well! :)

As a spectator to that game it definitely was easy to follow combats and they seemed to move at a pretty good clip. I think there may have been like one or two little hiccups associated with one player going before another in the initiative but they were handled pretty easily (at least from the outside!)

That game is actually what got me itching to try and coordinate a RL game but alas I live in the boonies.

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I've set up a rolegate(dot)com page. The more people talk about, the more reaerch I put in on how to run a good PbP. Just need to set up a survey for type of game.

Edit: mobile keyboard jesus

joshgotro on
  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Just to chime in: PbPs are great; there should be more of them.

The biggest pain as a DM, other than players ghosting, was going through maps and stat blocks in 4E and making sure moves and HP totals were right. At the time, there wasn't a good "interactive whiteboard" type tool for D&D-style games where people could move their character on their own (maybe there is one now).

I still go back and re-read some of the games I've played and DMed in on these forums; good times.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    I've run two 5e PbP's on two different discord servers, and they fizzled out both times. The previously mentioned momentum and requirements for a good post are pretty rough. What was useful as a player in @Denada's game was having target AC and HP listed to help further combat encounters.

I think if I ever ran one again I'd go with ICRPG's philosophy and list out the room Target and how many Hearts (HP) each monster has.

More importantly, I'd try to minimize the amount that you have to wait on other players' turns (which doesn't sound easy for 5e) and I'd get at least one other co-DM to help me monitor the thread. Hell, even if one of the players runs monsters if I haven't responded in twelve hours works for me.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »
    I've set up a rolegate(dot)com page. The more people talk about, the more reaerch I put in on how to run a good PbP. Just need to set up a survey for type of game.

My thought was thus

D10 system -> Players are relatively independent: can talk to others via "IRC" which would be the IC chat thread

Game cycle takes place over one week: Players get x minor actions and y major actions per week. A minor action might be "secure some guns" or "take downtime" a major action might be "storm the villains lair" or "investigate a rumor"

Players describe what skills they're going to use for each of their minor actions and then the GM explains how that worked out for them; players are then free to write up a third person review(or not). This done via PM.

At the end, once things are wrapped up; collate the PM'd material into one thread for straight through reading.

wbBv3fj.png
  • FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    I do think a game system made specifically for PbPs is in order, just like an RPG system made for Twitch streaming makes sense these days.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    Clearly the appetite is there for pbp's. Now we just need willing DM's to step up and start a game!

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    joshgotro wrote: »

My thought was thus

D10 system -> Players are relatively independent: can talk to others via "IRC" which would be the IC chat thread

Game cycle takes place over one week: Players get x minor actions and y major actions per week. A minor action might be "secure some guns" or "take downtime" a major action might be "storm the villains lair" or "investigate a rumor"

Players describe what skills they're going to use for each of their minor actions and then the GM explains how that worked out for them; players are then free to write up a third person review(or not). This done via PM.

At the end, once things are wrapped up; collate the PM'd material into one thread for straight through reading.

I was thinking maybe something like The Sprawl might be interesting. You can do all the preheisty bits pretty easily asynchronously and then you could maybe ask everyone to be available to post for an hour or two to do the actual heist.

• XagarXagar Registered User regular
    I'd love to run a pbp if people are willing to play the game I've been developing instead of DnD and bear with my newbie DMing. It's essentially a mashup of FF Tactics, 4e, and Guild Wars 1, and I know there are quite a few people here who liked 4e a lot.

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Hi thread, I have a question for you all. But first some context: I haven't played 5th edition at all yet, but I used to really love playing until my friends all moved away. We played mostly 3.5. Before that I cut my teeth on AD&D back as a kid. I think I was about 10 or so when I first played. How accessible is 5th edition? More specifically, I'm trying to think of when I should start introducing my kid to this wonderful hobby. He's turning 5 this summer and has a great imagination but limited attention span.

Are there any simple, kid friendly adventures anyone can think of out there that I could introduce him to? And do you think 5 is too young?

Thanks!

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    I think 5 is too young/attention span too short.

steam_sig.png
  • Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Really depends on the 5 year old in question, but usually not. I do think 5e is pretty accessible, more so than 3.5 to new/younger players.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I'd probably suggest going out and getting some of the old 4e demo games; 4e plays more like a board game then other editions and the adventurers league modules were designed for teaching newer players about the game and thus had ran almost exclusively from levels 1-3 so their'd be a lot less things for him to keep track of.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Also, the demo modules were designed to be run one a week and take about an hour or so to run so it would be a good pick up and put down sort of affair.

Xagar wrote: »
    I'd love to run a pbp if people are willing to play the game I've been developing instead of DnD and bear with my newbie DMing. It's essentially a mashup of FF Tactics, 4e, and Guild Wars 1, and I know there are quite a few people here who liked 4e a lot.

That sounds like fun... but if its anything like 4e its not going to go well for pbp. 4e has even slower combats than 5e and is even more order dependent.

Re: Accessibility 5th is the most accessible dnd to date but 5 is probably too young

wbBv3fj.png
  • IvelliusIvellius Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Hi thread, I have a question for you all. But first some context: I haven't played 5th edition at all yet, but I used to really love playing until my friends all moved away. We played mostly 3.5. Before that I cut my teeth on AD&D back as a kid. I think I was about 10 or so when I first played. How accessible is 5th edition? More specifically, I'm trying to think of when I should start introducing my kid to this wonderful hobby. He's turning 5 this summer and has a great imagination but limited attention span.

Are there any simple, kid friendly adventures anyone can think of out there that I could introduce him to? And do you think 5 is too young?

Thanks!

I do think 5e is pretty accessible (far more so than 3e), but I'd be concerned about engaging a 5-year-old.

Having said that, you could try Monster Slayers: Champions of the Elements; it's a simplified D&D designed for grade-school children. There was also one called "Heroes of Hesiod," I believe.

Ivellius on
    Me elsewhere:
    Steam, various fora: Ivellius
    League of Legends: Doctor Ivellius
    Twitch, probably another place or two I forget: LPIvellius
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Thanks for the feedback everyone!

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

That's totally fair. Different strokes for different folks. I have a really hard time with story games in person because the amount of improv burns me out really quickly. I've always fancied myself an amateur (very amateur) writer so PbPs are a good fit for me.

That is my problem with WoD and VtM/VtR

As they are great story teller games but the players are just actors in the story you created and scenes. They often don't play along. As improv is fine but when the story goes off the rails because of it then it's a problem

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    Really depends on the 5 year old in question, but usually not. I do think 5e is pretty accessible, more so than 3.5 to new/younger players.

I was learning THACO when I was five. -old man grumble-

In like 3-5 sessions my players will have to learn THAC0 unwillingly. Muha ha ha ha ha

wbBv3fj.png
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    The math help scene in Incredibles II comes to mind when people bring up THAC0.

Ivellius wrote: »

Thanks!

I do think 5e is pretty accessible (far more so than 3e), but I'd be concerned about engaging a 5-year-old.

Having said that, you could try Monster Slayers: Champions of the Elements; it's a simplified D&D designed for grade-school children. There was also one called "Heroes of Hesiod," I believe.

I'm going to check this link out later, but Dungeon World could also be a better choice for younger kids, since the math is simpler and it's narrative-based so when a kid says "I want to do this!" you have a smaller list of possible action rolls it could be. Also Dungeon World makes sure every class has cool things to do.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Thanks!

I'm going to check this link out later, but Dungeon World could also be a better choice for younger kids, since the math is simpler and it's narrative-based so when a kid says "I want to do this!" you have a smaller list of possible action rolls it could be. Also Dungeon World makes sure every class has cool things to do.

But the magic of D&D can be anything you want
    What rules you use are up to you. Remember World Building is hard

edited July 2018
    Brainleech wrote: »

Thanks!

But the magic of D&D can be anything you want
    What rules you use are up to you. Remember World Building is hard

Collaborative World Building is part of the rules in Dungeon World too!

DarkPrimus on

Thanks!

A little bit of a late reply, but I started playing RPGs with my daughters when they were I think around 4 and 6. The first real game we started out with was Hero Kids, which was a great introduction to the idea of rules, moves, maps, all that sort of thing. At around ages 6 and 8 we started playing actual 4E D&D, and they picked it up fine. I think 5E would be fine for a kid around 5 or 6. Just focus on the core of what makes the game fun: exploring, solving problems, and fighting monsters. Really lean into the "yes and" aspect of DMing. You want your character to be a talking dog instead of a human? Okay sure, let's use the stats for halfling or something and now you're a corgi knight. You know just generally be loose with the rules (5E shines when you do that anyway), be patient, and don't be afraid of the math. It's good practice.

Thanks!

A little bit of a late reply, but I started playing RPGs with my daughters when they were I think around 4 and 6. The first real game we started out with was Hero Kids, which was a great introduction to the idea of rules, moves, maps, all that sort of thing. At around ages 6 and 8 we started playing actual 4E D&D, and they picked it up fine. I think 5E would be fine for a kid around 5 or 6. Just focus on the core of what makes the game fun: exploring, solving problems, and fighting monsters. Really lean into the "yes and" aspect of DMing. You want your character to be a talking dog instead of a human? Okay sure, let's use the stats for halfling or something and now you're a corgi knight. You know just generally be loose with the rules (5E shines when you do that anyway), be patient, and don't be afraid of the math. It's good practice.

I stumbled across some homebrew stats for a Fey Corgi race for both 4e and 3.5e, I bet it'd be easy to gin something up with that as a baseline for 5e.

edited July 2018

Thanks!

I stumbled across some homebrew stats for a Fey Corgi race for both 4e and 3.5e, I bet it'd be easy to gin something up with that as a baseline for 5e.

It was the Fey Corgi and it makes me smile every time I see it! Looks like a bunch of people have already taken a swing at converting those to 5E too.

Quick write-ups of some kind of awakened dog race with a bunch of breed-specific subraces would be a fun little project. I'd actually be surprised if there wasn't at least a few of those on DM's Guild already.

Denada on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    So I suppose this is a good time to link https://dndoggos.com