As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    https://playhearthstone.com/en-us/blog/21901630

GIANTS AREN'T ELEMENTALS

GIANTS ARE GIANTS

THEY HAVE THEIR OWN TYPE IN WARCRAFT LORE AND GAMEPLAY
    these lumbering towers of magma and stone are the epitome of Elementals.

THEY FUCKING AREN'T

THEY'RE THE EPITOME OF GIANTS

YOU GODDAMN HACKS

They're beings made of stone powered by magic. That's pretty metal elemental.

Sea Giant is made of meat

liEt3nH.png
  • DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular

GIANTS AREN'T ELEMENTALS

GIANTS ARE GIANTS

THEY FUCKING AREN'T

YOU GODDAMN HACKS

flesh elemental

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
    Lorewise, giants are actually more closely related to mechs than they are to elementals, much like how Dimetrodon may look like a lizard but is more closely related to mammals than dinosaurs

liEt3nH.png
    edited July 2018
    anyway i started my climb today and everyone's playing these really slow greedy decks like taunt warrior and control priest

so naturally i hit up tempo mage and boys and girls i am fucking feasting tonight

also in the past i have not been too keen on pyroblast, often stating that it sits there in my hand and i'd have lethal without it. but holy fuck pyroblast has won me like 5 games today at least. shit's doing work. even when the goddamn taunt warrior plays double cornered sentry into drywhisker when you have no board and shoots from 3 health to 15, i still fucking whomped em cause pyroblast gave me that bit of reach i needed. even when aluneth is literally burning cards because my hand is too full, it didn't matter cause pyro's sitting there and has had my back.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    been playing some egg hunter with this list:

### egg
    # Class: Hunter
    # Format: Standard
    # Year of the Raven
    #
    # 2x (1) Candleshot
    # 2x (1) Hunter's Mark
    # 2x (1) Play Dead
    # 2x (1) Tracking
    # 2x (2) Grievous Bite
    # 2x (2) Loot Hoarder
    # 2x (2) Sunfury Protector
    # 2x (3) Devilsaur Egg
    # 2x (3) Stitched Tracker
    # 2x (3) Terrorscale Stalker
    # 1x (3) Void Ripper
    # 2x (4) Flanking Strike
    # 1x (4) Houndmaster Shaw
    # 2x (5) Carnivorous Cube
    # 1x (6) Deathstalker Rexxar
    # 2x (6) Savannah Highmane
    # 1x (8) Kathrena Winterwisp
    #
    AAECAR8EhtMCtuoC/eoCgPMCDY0B+wH7BpcI7QmrwgLYwgKGwwKczQLTzQLd0gKL4QLh4wIA

things that feel good:
    all the interactions between deathrattles is really fun.
    any turn 2/3/4 that involves eggs, terrorscale stalkers, and play dead are really strong
    it's hunter, so you get to play DK rexxar the most fun broken card in the game

things that feel bad:
    kathrena is maybe the least effective card in the list. there's just not enough beasts to pull
    the highmanes don't feel amazing either, but they're the only beasts to pull
    your removal options are incredibly slim

*ahem*

This is almost, card for card, one of my Cube Hunter decks I've toyed around with for months.

I would ditch Kathrena and the Highmanes and grab Fungalmancer and/or Defender of Argus

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    What about Loatheb? He's an undead elemental.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Lorewise, giants are actually more closely related to mechs than they are to elementals, much like how Dimetrodon may look like a lizard but is more closely related to mammals than dinosaurs

but also dinosaurs aren't related to lizards, they are birds

but also dinosaurs aren't related to lizards, they are birds

I'm speaking COMMON MAN, 3clipse!
    Yilias wrote: »
    What about Loatheb? He's an undead elemental.

Loatheb is an undead ambulatory plant

liEt3nH.png
  • NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Complete repeat of last month... in 32 games I've lost 1 star

I just lost to that new zoo, odd rogue mirror, and Thrall DK aggro :bigfrown:

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    As a follow up to our recent explanations regarding our refund policy, we would also like to clarify that minor consistency changes—such as name changes, templating updates, art updates, or Type changes that do not significantly affect the power level of a card—will not offer a full Arcane Dust refund.

In this case, since power levels remain essentially unchanged, we will not offer a full Arcane Dust refund.

Oh fuck off, Blizzard lol. If you make a change to a card's type like removing the beast tag from Moonkin, that is a nerf. No it's not a big nerf, but it's a nerf. You just had a three week long event where you gave free dust and higher gold rewards to everyone, why go back to being stingy on refunding dust on nerfed cards?

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

GIANTS AREN'T ELEMENTALS

GIANTS ARE GIANTS

THEY FUCKING AREN'T

YOU GODDAMN HACKS

Are they changing Sea too? I only saw Mountain and Molten in the notes, I thought.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    Isn't he a bog beast? They're classified as elementals in WoW.

Fen and Bog Creeper are also elementals in WoW but not Hearthstone.

Bog beasts exhibit similar behaviour as elementals and are affected by many of the same things, but geneologically they should be a distinct and separate classification

It is thanks to shoddy science that they are identified as elementals

liEt3nH.png
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Loatheb is very very very definitely Undead.

• RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Blizzard: "We're changing minion types!"

Community:"Ok I guess? Aren't there more important things to be working on?"

Blizzard: "Nope! Also we're not going to change the ones you want, and instead are going to change ones that maximize your annoyance level."

Community: "Wow, that seems kind of dickish. Could we at least discuss this first? Will you be giving us dust refunds for cards that get changed?"

Blizzard: "No way! These aren't 'material changes', which is a thing we just made up because we decided to do this over a lunch break where Mike downed two 40s in about 90 seconds."

Community: "Sigh, really Blizz?"

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    We got Silithid Swarmer turned into a beast, that's our one 'tag change we wanted' for this lifetime.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    *Brode laugh from behind closed doors in a far off distance.*

Mountain Giant being an ele actually has interesting ramifications for Elemental Mage, though. Weren't there lists hard running Mountains already?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    Loatheb is very very very definitely Undead.

For sure, but being dead wouldn't change his species. He's only not an elemental after death if he wasn't one before like gnome said.
    Roz wrote: »
    Blizzard: "We're changing minion types!"

Community:"Ok I guess? Aren't there more important things to be working on?"

Blizzard: "Nope! Also we're not going to change the ones you want, and instead are going to change ones that maximize your annoyance level."

Community: "Wow, that seems kind of dickish. Could we at least discuss this first? Will you be giving us dust refunds for cards that get changed?"

Blizzard: "No way! These aren't 'material changes', which is a thing we just made up because we decided to do this over a lunch break where Mike downed two 40s in about 90 seconds."

Community: "Sigh, really Blizz?"

The weirdest part is this change has practically no effect on the balance of anything. The only thing I can think of is DK Jaina now getting lifesteal from giants.

Warlocks aren't going to suddenly run Piper for demon synergy. It's arguably a nerf given how important it is that your demons be big for DK.
    Jungle Moonkin and Kraken are unplayed and this won't change anything for them.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Mountain Giant being an ele actually has interesting ramifications for Elemental Mage, though. Weren't there lists hard running Mountains already?

Kibler had an elemental Mage deck with Mountain Giants that was fun to play. I posted it a few weeks ago.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    These changes are hardly worth getting upset over. They’re so minor, I don’t expect any dust refund for these cards. Besides, we just got spoiled with gold and Dust for the last three weeks. Let’s try and reign in the complaining a little bit.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Astral Tiger should be a beast.

And Kobolds should be a type. Theres so many of them now that it dosent make sense not to have one for them.

Maybe a Worgan type as well.

i was very disappointed that Archmage Arugal was not "polymorph all minions into random worgen"

liEt3nH.png
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    Z6SlkQh.png
    Is that your screenshot? If so, why do you have two quests?

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Why play Void Ripper?

enbo7E3.jpg

That’s why.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    Mountain Giants are what? Creations of living stone? Ancient Watcher and Eerie Statue sure seem a lot like creations of living stone as well!

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    elemental mage gets a lot better if you can discover mountain giants off servant of kalimos and plopping down mountain giants keeps tribe synergy going, hmm...

edited July 2018
    forty wrote: »
    Mountain Giants are what? Creations of living stone? Ancient Watcher and Eerie Statue sure seem a lot like creations of living stone as well!

Well Ancient Watcher feels like it fits more squarely into "Mech, but with rock instead of metal" (which INANTP alluded Mountain Giants are also but that surprises me for some reason), and Eerie Statue is just a rock that's possessed by a ghost.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Haven't been playing ladder lately so I am starting from Rank 22 this month. First game was against a shaman who Battlecry discovered Millhouse on turn 1 and played it on turn 2. My turn 2 was the Rush weapon into the warrior spellstone for two 5/5s, ez.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
    The giants in warcraft are Titan constructs, living statues constructed by gods. Fleshy giants are Titan constructs that were affected by the Curse of Flesh, much the same as how gnomes are curse of flesh versions of Mechano-Gnomes.

liEt3nH.png

Well Ancient Watcher feels like it fits more squarely into "Mech, but with rock instead of metal" (which INANTP alluded Mountain Giants are also but that surprises me for some reason), and Eerie Statue is just a rock that's possessed by a ghost.
    So you're saying Ancient Watcher needs to be Mech tagged??

The giants in warcraft are Titan constructs, living statues constructed by gods. Fleshy giants are Titan constructs that were affected by the Curse of Flesh, much the same as how gnomes are curse of flesh versions of Mechano-Gnomes.

Does that mean there's a limited amount of giants because the Titans aren't around to make more?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    Also, what's an Am'gam Rager and is it not some sort of relative of the Magma Rager (an elemental)?

Does that mean there's a limited amount of giants because the Titans aren't around to make more?

Possibly, but we've seen many of their construction facilities continue to act autonomously. It's possible that there are giant-producing facilities we haven't discovered.

liEt3nH.png
    Also, what's an Am'gam Rager and is it not some sort of relative of the Magma Rager (an elemental)?
    Am'gam Rager is a meme.

Possibly, but we've seen many of their construction facilities continue to act autonomously. It's possible that there are giant-producing facilities we haven't discovered.
    Neat!

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

An Am'Gam Rager is plainly an lat'nemele.

edited July 2018
    Z6SlkQh.png
    Is that your screenshot? If so, why do you have two quests?

that is my screenshot, yes

logic would dictate that i have two quests because i let two dailies build up :p

which is to say i didn't play yesterday

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Hearthstone is also technically a game in the world of world of warcraft, so any lore inconsistencies can be attributed to in-universe perceptions and decisions rather than absolute statements of canon

liEt3nH.png
    anyway these changes are hardly worth getting upset about.

it's one thing to get upset about/want full dust refunds on things like shudderwock or tess

it's another get upset because they removed a tag from a wild card

let's maybe keep things in perspective here and save the energy for things actually worth getting upset over

anyway, there's some pretty interesting implications from these changes: mountain giant can now be gotten from earthen might/servant of kalimos, witchwood piper can benefit from things like demonfire or bloodreaver gul'dan. the rest are wild stuff so it's w/e to me.

i still think there's a conversation to be had re: undead/not undead stuff, things like bonemare (IS IT A BEAST?? I MEAN?????). but it's cool to see them hopefully keeping a level of consistency going forward with stuff that is/isn't.

DNiDlnb.png
    i still think there's a conversation to be had re: undead/not undead stuff, things like bonemare (IS IT A BEAST?? I MEAN?????). but it's cool to see them hopefully keeping a level of consistency going forward with stuff that is/isn't.

If they feel they need to make Grizzly less ghost-like to count as a Beast then Bonemare is definitely not a beast because it's a skeleton.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg