As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NBA] Thread: Dame Ascending to Final Form

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular

lol they are going to be out a lot of crab cakes. The Warriors tend to coast through the regular season.

Everyone thinks this is a positive, it could easily be a negative. Boogie's style of play doesn't mesh at all with the way the Warriors play. Either he's going to except the lesser role and they'll ease him in to get use to it. Or it's going to explode on them.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »

lol they are going to be out a lot of crab cakes. The Warriors tend to coast through the regular season.

Everyone thinks this is a positive, it could easily be a negative. Boogie's style of play doesn't mesh at all with the way the Warriors play. Either he's going to except the lesser role and they'll ease him in to get use to it. Or it's going to explode on them.

By explode do you mean plant him on the bench as they win another title?

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    The Warriors aren’t in need of Boogie and he was so cheap they can just cut him if he’s a problem.

I think he’s just using this as a rehab year so it won’t be an issue. Players are an average of 8% less productive the year after an achilles injury.

Now if he ends up being good again and signs a long term deal there that’s “fuck everything” moment.

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Now if he ends up being good again and signs a long term deal there that’s “fuck everything” moment.

Fortunately, there’s no real viable path for the warriors to do this. As it’s the taxpayer midlevel, they can only offer 120% of his salary next year, and if he plays well, other teams will offer way more

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
    Good let’s see him on a team with Dwight Howard next year

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    No one could beat 5.3 million for Cousins?

He had 0 offers on the table. Any team could have stopped this. He reached out to GS, and they were like uh sure ok. I assume boston stepped in after contact with GS and he decided to go with a team where he can take things incredibly slow and not worry about it.

I really don't get everyone talking about how this absolutely makes them a bonkers team, when he's dealing with one of the worst injuries you can get in the sport and could come back completely different as a player.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Two off-seasons ago Golden State managed to turn Andrew Bogut's husk into Kevin Durant and become unstoppable. This off-season while still unstoppable with reportedly zero effort they managed to turn JaVale McGee into DeMarcus Cousins. It's bullshit.

Everyone should just join the Warriors now and make a championship ring meaningless.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Great news everyone! The Warriors just signed me to come off the bench, just to make things fair.

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    Great news everyone! The Warriors just signed me to come off the bench, just to make things fair.

Impossible, they can’t afford another Max contract

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    No one could beat 5.3 million for Cousins?

He had 0 offers on the table. Any team could have stopped this. He reached out to GS, and they were like uh sure ok. I assume boston stepped in after contact with GS and he decided to go with a team where he can take things incredibly slow and not worry about it.

I really don't get everyone talking about how this absolutely makes them a bonkers team, when he's dealing with one of the worst injuries you can get in the sport and could come back completely different as a player.

German magazine "Der Spiegel" has an article: "Its as if the Beatles got Mick Jagger. Perennial champion Golden State Warriors got its next superstar in DeMarcus Cousins".

Apparently "Der Spiegel" doesn't know the NBA.

It was only like 3 years ago the NBA was the most interesting and most competitive it had been in decades. The 2014-2015 season had legit title contenders in the Warriors, Clippers, Spurs, and Cavaliers with some crucial injuries in the playoffs and to Durant. The 2015-2016 playoffs had several thrilling series in the Cavs-Raptors, OKC-Spurs, OKC-Warriors, and in the Finals. The last two seasons were forgone conclusions from start to finish and GSW didn't even start trying till halfway through the Western Conference Finals.

I certainly don't want to dictate the players choices. They have a right to pick their destination same as I do but the league was getting pretty boring already due to lack of competition and that doesn't look like it's going to change any time soon.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    y2jake215 wrote: »

Impossible, they can’t afford another Max contract

Goddammit

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    As always, the sports media knows EXACTLY who to blame for this. The owners? Nah. The GMs who signed middling players like Timofey Mozgov and to ridiculous contracts? Nope! It's the players' fault for not accepting Cap Smoothing:

https://twitter.com/i/moments/1013990534589739008

EDIT: Notice in that link to a 2016 free agent tracker that while teams are signing dudes to multi-year megadeals, the Warriors got KD (of course) and then gave everyone else they signed a 1 year deal. If teams had even just an eighth of the foresight to try to sign guys for shorter contracts, the market would be back open again. But it's the players' fault I guess.

Goose! on
    Could the warriors even have afforded to sign anyone to a longer deal than 1 year

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i don't blame the players, the cba as constructed doesn't allow ultra high tier players like KD to be paid like they're worth, so might as well go win some championships for endorsement money, shrug.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    The only thing I think you can blame the players for is tampering. It would be silly to try and stop them from talking to each other but it's pretty clear some of them are sharing intelligence with certain GMs and giving them an unfair advantage. There is zero doubt the Heat had advanced notice of what Wade, James, and Bosh were planning and Golden State players were talking to Durant about him joining for almost a year and almost certainly relaying that info to Warriors management.

edited July 2018
    Knight_ wrote: »
    i don't blame the players, the cba as constructed doesn't allow ultra high tier players like KD to be paid like they're worth, so might as well go win some championships for endorsement money, shrug.

I wonder if this isn't the issue so much as players are now making so much money that a guy like Kawhi doesn't care that he's looking at a $180M contract instead of a $220M contract or whatever. Also, yeah KD and LeBron are technically underpaid from a pure capitalist perspective but max contracts also elevate the floor for the non superstar players.

Butters on
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    As always, the sports media knows EXACTLY who to blame for this. The owners? Nah. The GMs who signed middling players like Timofey Mozgov and to ridiculous contracts? Nope! It's the players' fault for not accepting Cap Smoothing:

EDIT: Notice in that link to a 2016 free agent tracker that while teams are signing dudes to multi-year megadeals, the Warriors got KD (of course) and then gave everyone else they signed a 1 year deal. If teams had even just an eighth of the foresight to try to sign guys for shorter contracts, the market would be back open again. But it's the players' fault I guess.

I don't understand this. What is the cap smoothing, they are talking about?

Pistons have added Max Hooper to their summer league squad which is an all time basketball name

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

cap smoothing means when the new TV deal came in a couple seasons ago, instead of increasing the cap all at once in a single season, the impact is smoothed out across the next several seasons.

I personally think that would have been a much better way to do it. A bunch of utterly undeserving players got paid because there was more cap space than players in a single season, and the ones who got paid were just the ones lucky enough to be FAs at the right time.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular

Also, this:

The NBA is gonna need a tiers list just like fighting game characters. Warriors the only team in the S tier though.

Also, this:

The NBA is gonna need a tiers list just like fighting game characters. Warriors the only team in the S tier though.

omg nerf Durant riot plz.

Dhalphir wrote: »

cap smoothing means when the new TV deal came in a couple seasons ago, instead of increasing the cap all at once in a single season, the impact is smoothed out across the next several seasons.

I personally think that would have been a much better way to do it. A bunch of utterly undeserving players got paid because there was more cap space than players in a single season, and the ones who got paid were just the ones lucky enough to be FAs at the right time.

I totally understand the PA not supporting cap smoothing but maybe they should have smoothed max contract values and/or given under-contract players a raise? I like Mike Conley but him signing what was at the time the most valuable contract in NBA history was silly.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I think it's actually fun. Makes them the big bad guys that everyone is trying to take down.

Odds are they aren't going to lose much but when they do it will be a big deal.

• TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    I caught Mardi Gras swag from Boogie and now I wish I'd thrown it back. :P

PAD ID - 328,762,218

I don't know why you would blame him for not being in New Orleans anymore. I'm pretty sure the Pelicans could have offered him more than the mid-level if they wanted him.

I don't know why you would blame him for not being in New Orleans anymore. I'm pretty sure the Pelicans could have offered him more than the mid-level if they wanted him.

Pretty sure they did!

I don’t blame Boogie in the slightest though. You get to go casual with your rehab, increase your value if you come back and are good, and if you don’t well hey it’s a free ring regardless!

Virtually no long term downsides to doing this. Good for him!

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    I just hope teams watched how the Rockets defended the Warriors and got tons of turnovers

Pretty sure they did!

I don’t blame Boogie in the slightest though. You get to go casual with your rehab, increase your value if you come back and are good, and if you don’t well hey it’s a free ring regardless!

Julius Randle's sudden availability changed the Pelicans' equation. They snapped up Randle when the Lakers renounced his rights, nabbing a third big man to play alongside both Anthony Davis and Nikola Mirotic -- the starting duo that worked so well down the stretch of the regular season and into the playoffs. Even so, the Pelicans still had something like $13.7 million to spend before bumping into the luxury tax. They could have outbid the Warriors' paltry $5.3 million deal -- the mini-midlevel exception for tax teams.

They didn't. The Pelicans had a tentative meeting scheduled with Cousins in the coming days, per sources close to the situation. That will obviously not happen. Perhaps they had decided they simply did not want Cousins coming off an Achilles tendon tear, having seen what the stretchy and fast Mirotic-Davis combo could do without him. The fact pattern suggests a limited interest, at best.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23979341/zach-lowe-demarcus-cousins-golden-state-warriors-nba

Pretty sure they did!

Julius Randle's sudden availability changed the Pelicans' equation. They snapped up Randle when the Lakers renounced his rights, nabbing a third big man to play alongside both Anthony Davis and Nikola Mirotic -- the starting duo that worked so well down the stretch of the regular season and into the playoffs. Even so, the Pelicans still had something like $13.7 million to spend before bumping into the luxury tax. They could have outbid the Warriors' paltry $5.3 million deal -- the mini-midlevel exception for tax teams.

They didn't. The Pelicans had a tentative meeting scheduled with Cousins in the coming days, per sources close to the situation. That will obviously not happen. Perhaps they had decided they simply did not want Cousins coming off an Achilles tendon tear, having seen what the stretchy and fast Mirotic-Davis combo could do without him. The fact pattern suggests a limited interest, at best.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23979341/zach-lowe-demarcus-cousins-golden-state-warriors-nba

He was on the market for less than 48 hours. I don't believe that for a second. I know he's hurt but he's a 4 time all star and only 27.

He's chasing a ring while recovering, betting on a big payout in 12 months

Butters wrote: »

Pretty sure they did!

He was on the market for less than 48 hours. I don't believe that for a second. I know he's hurt but he's a 4 time all star and only 27.

He's chasing a ring while recovering, betting on a big payout in 12 months

He's a top ten player when he's healthy. Those guys don't stay on the market for 48 hours, their deals are usually done before FA even opens. If the Pelicans wanted him, he'd still be there.

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    What are yall talking about, there's no such thing as tampering, wink wink nudge nudge

Boston got told of his interest, and before they could make an offer he signed

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    it would be the same scenario with Boston

Kyrie
    Smart
    Heyward
    Horford
    Boogie

that is an OP lineup

Xehalus on
    Let me know when the Wizards do something. Current prediction is I don't emerge from my coffin until 3 or 4 days into the season, when they win a game

You can rest easier now. Jeff Green is taking his talents to DC.

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Is is
    Butters wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »

I totally understand the PA not supporting cap smoothing but maybe they should have smoothed max contract values and/or given under-contract players a raise? I like Mike Conley but him signing what was at the time the most valuable contract in NBA history was silly.

I had read that part of the problem was that both Paul and Lebron's contracts were due to be negotiated that year and it was advantageous to each of them to raise the cap immediately instead of smooth it.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    the warriors would be fun in a league that wasn't so deterministic.

in the nba, the better teams usually win. need some hearthstone up in this.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Xehalus wrote: »
    it would be the same scenario with Boston

Kyrie
    Smart
    Heyward
    Horford
    Boogie

that is an OP lineup

This doesn’t even include their best player!

This discussion has been closed.