As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Whoa, new PS3 issue.

VaregaVarega Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Games and Technology
Ok guys, I got a refurb'd ps3 from gamestop/eb/whateverthefuck and I've been fooling around on it. It's pretty cool so far, but I'm having issues with the bluetooth, specifically the controllers and the headset that I have.

The controllers go out of sync pretty often in mid game, I have to press the Playstation button to sync them back. My headset, while it's synced outside in the XMB, and I can talk/hear myself from the accessory menu, just suddenly stopped working in games. I tried re-syncing both the controllers and the mic. Both have battery power and the mic does work with my phone. The mic is a Motorola H500, decent enough for this, or so I thought.

Anyone have any idea what's going on? Is there a diagnostic tool built into the ps3 that I'm not aware of? Thanks in advance for the help.

League of Legends:Varega
Varega on

• Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Are you wearing any big peices of metal? I find that if i accidentally let my controller rest against my belt buckle, it will go insane and then shut itself off.

Other than that, it sounds like your PS3 is defective, because it doesnt happen to me. I would take it back and get another one.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Zeon wrote: »
    Are you wearing any big peices of metal? I find that if i accidentally let my controller rest against my belt buckle, it will go insane and then shut itself off.

Other than that, it sounds like your PS3 is defective, because it doesnt happen to me. I would take it back and get another one.

Nah, i'm not wearing anything metal, though I have a lamp right near me that's pretty much entirely metal. I'll move it and see what happens.

Varega on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Varega wrote: »
    Ok guys, I got a refurb'd ps3 from gamestop/eb/whateverthefuck and I've been fooling around on it. It's pretty cool so far, but I'm having issues with the bluetooth, specifically the controllers and the headset that I have.

The controllers go out of sync pretty often in mid game, I have to press the Playstation button to sync them back. My headset, while it's synced outside in the XMB, and I can talk/hear myself from the accessory menu, just suddenly stopped working in games. I tried re-syncing both the controllers and the mic. Both have battery power and the mic does work with my phone. The mic is a Motorola H500, decent enough for this, or so I thought.

Anyone have any idea what's going on? Is there a diagnostic tool built into the ps3 that I'm not aware of? Thanks in advance for the help.

Mine happened the same way, there was no way to fix it.

Algertman on
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've found that the PS3 Controllers hate to not have line of sight on the console. If I put even one leg between the controller and the PS3, bang 5-8 seconds of "Ohshitdamnit"... Maybe I'm a robot... or Steve Austin :lol:

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I have the same problem with both of my PS3 controllers - I'm playing a game then all of a sudden I'm running forward when I'm not pressing a button. I think Wulf is right, the controllers don't seem to like being out of the line of sight of the PS3.

Black Ice on
  • Options
    liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Wulf wrote: »
    I've found that the PS3 Controllers hate to not have line of sight on the console. If I put even one leg between the controller and the PS3, bang 5-8 seconds of "Ohshitdamnit"... Maybe I'm a robot... or Steve Austin :lol:

I've actually found the exact opposite. I play my console at my desk and I often have controller in hand under the desk with the system sitting on my desktop. Unless you have a metal leg... which is possible actually.

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    While it's common for there to be a second of interference every now and then, you shouldn't have to push the PS button to fix it. I'd get it repaired/exchanged/whatever you can do.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I wouldn't take any chances with the refurb, get it replaced.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    GahazakulGahazakul regular
    edited December 2007

I've actually found the exact opposite. I play my console at my desk and I often have controller in hand under the desk with the system sitting on my desktop. Unless you have a metal leg... which is possible actually.

Same here, I have played while going into my kitchen and that would put a wall and a refrigerator between me and the console, and have a friend yell out instructions to me. So yeah, I would have that shiz replaced.

Gahazakul on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Gahazakul wrote: »

Same here, I have played while going into my kitchen and that would put a wall and a refrigerator between me and the console, and have a friend yell out instructions to me. So yeah, I would have that shiz replaced.

Well, that brings up a secondary problem. I have the 'original' 60gig model, the one with all the whiz-bang features that make it worth having. What are the odds that I would be able to get one as a replacement that didn't have the PS2 taken out of it? Alternatively, could it just be that I got two dud controllers? Hitting the PS button doesn't make them resync or anything, I just have to wait and push buttons for 5-8 seconds before the controller starts working again.

Wulf on
  • Options
    elizabexelizabex Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    scootch wrote: »
    I wouldn't take any chances with the refurb, get it replaced.

Simple solution, if it's feasible.

elizabex on
    elizabex.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Well, that brings up a secondary problem. I have the 'original' 60gig model, the one with all the whiz-bang features that make it worth having. What are the odds that I would be able to get one as a replacement that didn't have the PS2 taken out of it? Alternatively, could it just be that I got two dud controllers? Hitting the PS button doesn't make them resync or anything, I just have to wait and push buttons for 5-8 seconds before the controller starts working again.

So your controllers get 'stuck' for a few seconds? That's pretty much par for the course and not something I would really worry about.

Also if you do have to get that one sent in, I would make sure to specify to the customer service rep that you paid for hardware backwards compatibility and you expect your replacement model to have it.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GahazakulGahazakul regular
    edited December 2007
    Lord Yod wrote: »

So your controllers get 'stuck' for a few seconds? That's pretty much par for the course and not something I would really worry about.

Also if you do have to get that one sent in, I would make sure to specify to the customer service rep that you paid for hardware backwards compatibility and you expect your replacement model to have it.

Par for the course? I have never had that happen, except with bottoming out batteries. So no, I would be a little worried.

Gahazakul on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Well, I called up gamestop, and they can't get me a replacement PS3, since it's a 60 gig. I might be forced to get credit D:

Varega on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Lord Yod wrote: »

Par for the course? I have never had that happen, except with bottoming out batteries. So no, I would be a little worried.

I could rattle off over 100 names of people this happens to. Trust me it's normal.

I'm talking about when you're going along and suddenly the buttons stop doing anything and you move in the direction the stick was last pushed. This is a common problem and is caused by interference in the bluetooth signal.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, thats the issue. Damn these Bionic legs! *Cue running sounds from 6 Million Dollar Man*

Wulf on
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Well, I called up gamestop, and they can't get me a replacement PS3, since it's a 60 gig. I might be forced to get credit D:

they won't replace it with an 80gig? aren't they the same price?

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    edited December 2007

I paid $430. I got the 60 gig specifically for the hardware back-compatibility. I have a pretty big PS2 collection, most of which are niche titles. I doubt that they'd work on the software compatibility side. Don't get me wrong, it sucks, but I'm not going to pay the same amount of money for a substandard product in my eyes.

Varega on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Most of us who bought the 60 gig version bought it for the features, features that the 80 gig model has none of.
    edit: beateded

Wulf on