As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Agents of SHIELD] Series finale August 12th

• LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    What's the problem with what he's saying? I don't get why he's an asshole.

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I think Agents of Shield is often worse off for trying to share the MCU.

I mean if they can't go whole hog and just do a genuine crossover, why even bother with the little token gestures? It's lame.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    It's all bullshit unless he truly is that out of touch and up his own ass. Maybe both, actually!

Or perhaps he doesn't want to openly insult the movie division, which sounds like a bad idea with the press. The movie division shits on the tv division so hard in public, I can't grasp how much of a blow that much be to someone like him.

edit: It's a pity Sif and Maria Hill are off the table due to logistic issues, they would have bumped up their cred as cast members and I think both would be have been ok with that.

Harry Dresden on
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I mean, what do you expect him to say?

Assuming he'd want to have more crossovers but just isn't allowed to, he can't just take a big shit on his bosses' heads anytime an interviewer asks about it. The whole "We're really happy with our show and glad that our viewers tune in to see it without any crossovers" answer is about as polite, positive, and safe a statement as anyone in his position could possibly make.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Its once he crosses into ‘and we dont want their crossovers anyway’ (paraphrased) that it rustles my jimmies.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    It's all bullshit unless he truly is that out of touch and up his own ass. Maybe both, actually!

Or perhaps he doesn't want to openly insult the movie division, which sounds like a bad idea with the press. The movie division shits on the tv division so hard in public, I can't grasp how much of a blow that much be to someone like him.

edit: It's a pity Sif and Maria Hill are off the table due to logistic issues, they would have bumped up their cred as cast members and I think both would be have been ok with that.
    I mean, what do you expect him to say?

Assuming he'd want to have more crossovers but just isn't allowed to, he can't just take a big shit on his bosses' heads anytime an interviewer asks about it. The whole "We're really happy with our show and glad that our viewers tune in to see it without any crossovers" answer is about as polite, positive, and safe a statement as anyone in his position could possibly make.

Yeah, that's the bullshit part...

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The real bullshit is if the movie division DID suddenly want a crossover, the TV team would probably fall over themselves to facilitate it.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    The real bullshit is if the movie division DID suddenly want a crossover, the TV team would probably fall over themselves to facilitate it.

Id have trust in the writers though. The nick fury stuff was great.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Yeah, all the cameos by the movie characters have been good-to-great, so I wouldn't expect that to change.

sig.gif
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    What in the hell is going on with the Season 4 blu-ray release? And how do you air a TV show in HD, but then somehow fail to actually, I don't know, keep a copy of those files to put on a blu-ray?

Whoops, I meant "fall over themselves" in more of a "rapidly try to pull out all the stops to facilitate the crossover" rather than imply they'd do a sub-quality job.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    What in the hell is going on with the Season 4 blu-ray release? And how do you air a TV show in HD, but then somehow fail to actually, I don't know, keep a copy of those files to put on a blu-ray?

They never released Season 3 in the US.

If nothing else, I'm sure they'll do a full series boxset once it's done.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    *pokes head in*

Yes hi hello I am once again on the Netflix late train and watching season 5. Just saw episode 5.
    Go Fitz!

edited July 2018
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

That's crazy. It's leaving an insane amount of money on the table when they could double dip. Plenty of tv shows release seasons then have collections later on. Plus, it would build up audiences for new seasons when they're on tv. Who's responsible for their dvd division?

Harry Dresden on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I've made my way up to episode 13 so far in season 5. There's... man there's a lot to take in.
    First of all, let me say that I am absolutely waiting for the other shoe to drop over how these past couple episodes have ended in relative success / positive notes for the team. I know these writers by now. Something is going to fucking happen to make everything terrible again.

My heart sank when Yoyo's arms got cut off, that was some bullshit and WAY too soon. I dunno how Mack has kept it together considering he literally watched her die hours before.

My prediction for either how this all ends or what happens next: that whole end of the world thing? Totally going to happen still. If it happens before the season is up, then things will get fixed by the end. And if it happens as the season's finale (or somehow DOESN'T get fixed) then that's the setup for season 6.
    Anyway time to sit down for another couple episodes.

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

That's crazy. It's leaving an insane amount of money on the table when they could double dip. Plenty of tv shows release seasons then have collections later on. Plus, it would build up audiences for new seasons when they're on tv. Who's responsible for their dvd division?

Iirc they sold the north american physical distribution rights to Amazon. Who swiftly dropped it after they released season 2.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    Daisy gets the best line this season so far, episode 15.
    "How are we still fighting Nazis?"

edited July 2018
    Oh hey good. Episode 20.
    Thanos' name just came up. I didn't watch the movie so I wonder if that's accurate.
    Edit - Neeeeeeeeeeever mind.
    Idiot-ass Talbot thinks there's more of that gravity crap in the earth so of course he blows it up.

Henroid on
    edited July 2018
    I wasn't expecting to finish season 5 tonight but I did.
    I have to say, knowing that a season 6 is coming kinda takes away from that finale because really I think the series could've ended there. If season 6 doesn't live up to how the show has been, it will be "should have ended."

I hate that sike the show pulled with Fitz, after showing that things were different and the terrible future was prevented. His arm comes out of the rubble but he's dying anyway. Yeah I cried. :(

Every other season has ended with a sort of "what's next?" but I mean, I can't imagine it now. This really, really should have been the end of the show (see I'm saying it already) because I know what shit the writers may pull - character revivals. And I mean from the dead, not from the catalogue of being forgotten.
    Edit - Oh fuck me, how could I forget?
    There's another Fitz in cryo-stasis. I got confused for a sec when they were talking about "finding him."

Henroid on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    On your edit:
    The worst part about that is you knew Fitz was doomed soon as there were 2. Writer's just can't resist killing off the one that is happy. Spent the entire time waiting for it happen and then ta da.

At least next season they'll really assume is the last so may resist stuff like that unless they plan on killing everyone anyway.

Henroid wrote: »
    I wasn't expecting to finish season 5 tonight but I did.
    I have to say, knowing that a season 6 is coming kinda takes away from that finale because really I think the series could've ended there. If season 6 doesn't live up to how the show has been, it will be "should have ended."

I hate that sike the show pulled with Fitz, after showing that things were different and the terrible future was prevented. His arm comes out of the rubble but he's dying anyway. Yeah I cried. :(

Every other season has ended with a sort of "what's next?" but I mean, I can't imagine it now. This really, really should have been the end of the show (see I'm saying it already) because I know what shit the writers may pull - character revivals. And I mean from the dead, not from the catalogue of being forgotten.
    Edit - Oh fuck me, how could I forget?
    There's another Fitz in cryo-stasis. I got confused for a sec when they were talking about "finding him."
    For the last few seasons the show runners have treated each season as their last.

Been rewatching season 1 and the show finally narrows down what it today by the forth episode. "The Asset" almost gets there but is kind of undermined by the light hearted and jokey tone, and is the first time it has an excellent villain for the team to fight with Ian Quinn. The forth ep is harsher in hindsight when Ward says things about Coulson's former pupil betraying the team!

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Just catching up with this on Netflix and season 5 is really great. First time in a while where I've been feeling the need to binge watch.

Also very impressive how the first half of season 5 literally looks like a different show. Super impressed with this series right now.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    So my gf and I were introducing a friend to AoS today and it's kinda shocking seeing just how upbeat and positive everyone was at the start. We're both so used to the gang being pretty traumatized by everything that seeing them be so chipper and naive at the start before Winter Soldier happens makes us want to hug them all and be like "oh you poor, sweet, adorable people. Please don't change."

In all seriousness, the last couple seasons make the first half of season one much better because we understand now that this was our brief chance to see them all as well adjusted agents before they're all sent on an emotional Whedon-coaster

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    I have been considering watching the series over from the start as well. I worry though that now that I know what happens, I might passively find flaws throughout the show.

I kinda hit my limit of MCU stuff over the past year, so while I had originally planned on doing a full marathon of every MCU thing in the lead-up to Avengers 4; that seems like the least appealing thing to me right now. Even just rewatching Agent Carter, AoS and the movies feels more than I could handle.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I kinda hit my limit of MCU stuff over the past year, so while I had originally planned on doing a full marathon of every MCU thing in the lead-up to Avengers 4; that seems like the least appealing thing to me right now. Even just rewatching Agent Carter, AoS and the movies feels more than I could handle.

I'm only doing the movies. I didn't want to watch Incredible Hulk, although it was surprisingly not as bad as I remembered. We decided had they cast Ruffalo from go, and cast someone else for Betty, it likely would have been close to on par with most of the others, instead of easily sinking to the bottom as it does now.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    I have been considering watching the series over from the start as well. I worry though that now that I know what happens, I might passively find flaws throughout the show.

Almost through season 1 and the show was better than I remembered. Once it kicks into "Eye Spy" the series finds itself and the quality mains at a high bar, the previous eps feel like a different inferior show on every level. It's not as high quality as the SHIELD Civil War arc, of course. There are occasional dips like when Coulson's ex shows up but they're very rare all considered. Most show's first seasons on average aren't this smooth.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

I'm only doing the movies. I didn't want to watch Incredible Hulk, although it was surprisingly not as bad as I remembered. We decided had they cast Ruffalo from go, and cast someone else for Betty, it likely would have been close to on par with most of the others, instead of easily sinking to the bottom as it does now.
    Gotta disagree here. Ruffalo would have absolutely been the better choice over either Bana or Norton, but I don't think there was any saving those movies without scrapping the scripts and probably going with more suitable directors. I know some people have a fondness for Ang Lee, but I don't think he was a good choice for what was needed to be done. Also, there's the issue of doing a fully CGI, fully organic hero 15 years ago.

• ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    I liked Bana Hulk more than Nortan Hulk...and I'm good with that.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »

Gotta disagree here. Ruffalo would have absolutely been the better choice over either Bana or Norton, but I don't think there was any saving those movies without scrapping the scripts and probably going with more suitable directors. I know some people have a fondness for Ang Lee, but I don't think he was a good choice for what was needed to be done. Also, there's the issue of doing a fully CGI, fully organic hero 15 years ago.

For reference I was referring to the Norton Hulk movie. And yes the script needed work and the worst parts were basically any time Bruce and Betty were on screen together. Just so much ugh

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I actually like both of the hulk movies mostly because i appreciate what the film makers were going for.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    The only real flaw with Incredible Hulk as a standalone movie is that it suffered from Phase 1 Marvelitis. This is when a movie that's been a pretty good character piece with some neat action for two acts becomes an excuse for a fight scene that just has a couple dudes punching/stabbing/shooting each other for a while until the actors hit their marks, do a bit of dialog that indicates the circumstances of the fight have changed, and the good guy wins. For reference, this was also the only real flaw with Black Panther.

And Incredible Hulk it had it the worst of any of the Marvel movies. The Hulk/Abomination fight should have been, and could have been, great. But it was ridiculously boring, literally "the hero just gets angry enough" as the "win condition.

As a Marvel movie, it's had the most plot hooks that were not only dropped but never even mentioned again--in part because there's never been an Incredible Hulk 2.

Shadowen wrote: »
    And Incredible Hulk it had it the worst of any of the Marvel movies. The Hulk/Abomination fight should have been, and could have been, great. But it was ridiculously boring, literally "the hero just gets angry enough" as the "win condition.

That's basically the Hulk in a nutshell.

Also the abomination fight is one of my favorite MCU fights. It doesn't have any illusions that it's anything more that two giant beefy monsters beating the crap out of each other.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    The other end of it is that this is pretty much how fights with the abomination and the hulk play out in the comics; Abomination is physically stronger then the hulk but unlike banner or other gamma mutates doesn't have an accelerant; effectively hulk seeing betty being threatened pushed his anger to a threshold where Blonsky simply couldn't fight him.

And frankly, I'm not sure what people would have expected from the third act of a movie about a rage monster.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Hulk movies have the free-est of free passes to have a giant CGI smashup battle in the final act.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    edited July 2018
    Thing I somehow derped on, now that I'm re-watching season 1; the callsign of Coulson's plane is SHIELD 616, as in Earth 616. I can't believe I missed that little detail.

Also the show was episodic, self-contained plots, for longer than I had originally perceived.

Edit - And as always, RIP Bill Paxton.

Henroid on
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Multiverse theory is a bitch apparently.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Multiverse theory is a bitch apparently.
    Or...

He'll be there for twenty minutes into the first episode, and be unceremoniously killed by a stray bullet intended for someone else, setting of a chain of events by that person's loved one that could potentially destroy the world, only for armageddon to be cancelled by the memory of a primary color children's writing implement.

It wouldn't be the first time a Whedon has done this.
    Screw you, Joss. Amber Benson was awesome.

MorganV on