As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Gloomhaven] A small, quick party game

• LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    It does do solo, kinda, but you just control two characters and take a small handicap because you've got perfect information for them. It's fine, but far better when you're playing with others.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    It does do solo, kinda, but you just control two characters and take a small handicap because you've got perfect information for them. It's fine, but far better when you're playing with others.

+1 scenario level is not a "small" handicap. You're literally playing on hard mode!

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    If it wasn't damn near $150 I think I'd be all over this. I'm not sure my GF will enjoy it. I bought both Hero Quest and DragonStrike as a kid and never played one complete game. She does like Boss Monster thought. So maybe?

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    This game has very little in common with Boss Monster

• LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    Don't get Gloomhaven if you're even the slightest bit skeptical. It's very expensive, it's an enormous commitment, and the logistics of playing it are a nightmare. It's a good dungeon crawler but there are much cheaper, faster dungeon crawlers to start with.

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Lykouragh wrote: »
    Don't get Gloomhaven if you're even the slightest bit skeptical. It's very expensive, it's an enormous commitment, and the logistics of playing it are a nightmare. It's a good dungeon crawler but there are much cheaper, faster dungeon crawlers to start with.

Well then I fucked up!

My goodness, the thought of organizing that box somehow and sleeving certain cards is filling me with a panic attack. There's no way in hell I want to drop another $100 on a friggin' wooden insert.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »

Well then I fucked up!

My goodness, the thought of organizing that box somehow and sleeving certain cards is filling me with a panic attack. There's no way in hell I want to drop another $100 on a friggin' wooden insert.

Drop $5 on a box of ziploc baggies. Separate baggy for each enemy type, putting the monster's stat card, standees, and action deck all in there. That will do a lot for you. Also a few ziplocs for various terrain and such.

Fry wrote: »

Well then I fucked up!

Drop $5 on a box of ziploc baggies. Separate baggy for each enemy type, putting the monster's stat card, standees, and action deck all in there. That will do a lot for you. Also a few ziplocs for various terrain and such.

I was thinking about doing the plano box method found in this thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1726878/yss-yet-another-storage-solution/page/1

It would cost around $18-23 for enough of them to store all the bits and bobs.

If you can get Planos cheap enough, that's a good option. When I looked into it, I was seeing Plano prices that were nearing the "nice wooden insert" price range, which was not worth it to me.

Well then I fucked up!

I was thinking about doing the plano box method found in this thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1726878/yss-yet-another-storage-solution/page/1

It would cost around $18-23 for enough of them to store all the bits and bobs.

If those are what I think they are I've seen em cheap at home depot.

• texasheattexasheat Registered User regular
    So we played 2 games this weekend. Did scenario 11 and the one before that, 9 i think? 9, if that's right, was SUPER easy. 11 kicked our teeth in:
    So we lost 11, but it was SUCH a slog, that we cheated the end just so we wouldn't EVER have to do that stupid thing again. The final boss was at 3 hp after our last possible attack. We had no more cards after that. So we decided that instead of -2 dmg, we did crit dmg, which finished him off. God i never ever want to try to play with that many monsters again.

Side note on the gloomhaven helper app. We were trying to use it. But we came across a strange "bug"? Everything was setup for scenario 9. We added our chars and put our first init in. Then i hit "Draw" in the bottom left for the monster cards right? They pulled up a refresh card. Which i thought was wierd, so i tested it again just to confirm we hit that 1 in 8 chance. Set init draw round 2. Same exact card for the monsters. We tried this NUMEROUS times. Always the exact same card for the monsters. Something like Move -1 Attack +2 with refresh symbol. This happened over and over.

So i tested with the other monsters on that adventure, each had a different first card, but they were all a version of the refresh. And each time i hit draw, they kept getting the exact same card out of their set.

So i assumed it was the monsters, i tried a different scenario, 1. Same thing. Each monster pulls only 1 card, it's a refresh card from their set, but it's the only card they draw...

After googleing a bit, i didn't find any support. I am assuming i'm missing a "shuffle" option, but can't find one. I did find some forums that say you specifically DON'T shuffle, the app handles it.

We even tried a second phone, same thing.

Anyone got any hot tips on what we did wrong?

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Alternately, you can drop another $100 on Bones and AD&D brand minis to replace the monster stand-ups, then buy a couple of Planos to store all of that stuff.

wsxwhwcto18j.jpg

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular

You are being too harsh. It is expensive and takes up a lot of real estate, yes, but it is a remarkable piece of game design. Easily the best of all the dungeon crawler boardgames I've played, and and I've played a lot of 'em. I think it's one of those games that's worth buying if you're on the bubble about it and can afford the steep sticker prices, because you will learn to love it.

• LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Man, I saw a bit of talk about how Circles + Musical Note is a strong class combo, and yeah, just a little bit!
    Song buffs aside, our Summoner is adding 2-3 Bless cards to his deck every time the Soothsinger pulls up a Disorienting Dirge. And the bard's ability to move things around means all the minions can get where they need to be faster. And he's dumping curses on monsters like it was going out of style. We absolutely creamed the Temple of the Elements, jeez.

QPPHj1J.jpg
    edited June 2018
    texasheat wrote: »
    Side note on the gloomhaven helper app. We were trying to use it. But we came across a strange "bug"? Everything was setup for scenario 9. We added our chars and put our first init in. Then i hit "Draw" in the bottom left for the monster cards right? They pulled up a refresh card. Which i thought was wierd, so i tested it again just to confirm we hit that 1 in 8 chance. Set init draw round 2. Same exact card for the monsters. We tried this NUMEROUS times. Always the exact same card for the monsters. Something like Move -1 Attack +2 with refresh symbol. This happened over and over.

So i tested with the other monsters on that adventure, each had a different first card, but they were all a version of the refresh. And each time i hit draw, they kept getting the exact same card out of their set.

So i assumed it was the monsters, i tried a different scenario, 1. Same thing. Each monster pulls only 1 card, it's a refresh card from their set, but it's the only card they draw...

After googleing a bit, i didn't find any support. I am assuming i'm missing a "shuffle" option, but can't find one. I did find some forums that say you specifically DON'T shuffle, the app handles it.

We even tried a second phone, same thing.

Anyone got any hot tips on what we did wrong?

Weird. The only problem I have with the app is occasionally having the monster stats not be displayed (usually when we clear out a given type). Side note that some monsters have multiple reshuffle actions but yeah there's something odd going on with your RNG somewhere.

My group and I did Scenario 13 tonight, still on difficulty 3 despite my freshly-minted level 2 character.
    Thanks to a healthy amount of pierce and other shield-ignoring damage, we cleared the first room in a handful of rounds and followed that up with a group Long Rest. Then I opened the door to the big room and plugged it up while invisible, forcing most of the monsters to advance and form a three-hex-wide conga line. I executed my five-hex Attack 4, then moved back so the Cragheart could move up and hit his massive five-hex blast in a fortunate bit of timing (literally initiatives 28 and 29). That cleared out a lot of things and made the mop-up fairly simple. We were helped by the Drakes wasting a couple of turns with their shield/heal/advantage action instead of actually hitting us, but never really felt like it was out of our grasp. Those scaled jerks did burn two of the Curses I planted with their advantaged attacks, though.

Along the way, our Brute fulfilled his personal mission by killing 20 different types of monster. He retired just shy of Level 6, unlocking the two-mini class.
    Nice to have a Vermling back in the group, although we're pretty sure his little friend will be the more valuable member of the party! Let's go Beast Tyrant!

The scenario we unlocked will let our Cragheart retire next week. Unfortunately, the Scoundrel's quest is a huge pain in the ass so they'll be sticking with the party for quite a bit longer. We also got Gloomhaven up to Prosperity 3, so things are moving along quite nicely.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    And Prosperity 3 means a free levelup for your "freshly-minted level 2 character," right?

• texasheattexasheat Registered User regular
    So i tested the app again last night, as did my friend who tested with me last weekend. Both seem to be shuffling normally now. It's was very strange, but using it will help quite a bit i think.

Thanks for the response though.

And Prosperity 3 means a free levelup for your "freshly-minted level 2 character," right?

Sadly no. We needed his starting gold for the last nudge.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Per the explanation of prosperity on page 48: "Likewise, any character with a level lower than the prosperity level may immediately advance their level to match."

edited June 2018

Per the explanation of prosperity on page 48: "Likewise, any character with a level lower than the prosperity level may immediately advance their level to match."

Iiiiinteresting.

Does that waste the XP my Eclipse picked up this week though?

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

Iiiiinteresting.

Does that waste the XP my Eclipse picked up this week though?

Yeah, it just immediately bumps you to 3.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    I just bought this game on Saturday but I was wondering if it's possible to play the game with two different groups. I know the game uses a map board and stickers to track your progress for one campaign. Is it possible to "share" the campaign?

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Riokenn wrote: »
    I just bought this game on Saturday but I was wondering if it's possible to play the game with two different groups. I know the game uses a map board and stickers to track your progress for one campaign. Is it possible to "share" the campaign?

Sort of. You're gonna end up wanting some progression sheets to track on - you can find 'em with Google. I'd recommend just using the sticker-board for anything that gets accomplished by either team but tracking who's got what on paper.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

I find this website to be very helpful for keeping track of multiple campaigns: https://ninjalooter.de/gloomhaven/scenarios

But I've found that keeping a running diary of your campaigns is very useful, too. Just note the important points- Scenarios cleared, enemies fought, equipment bought and sold, changes made to Hero decks.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    There are apps you can use to track multiple campaigns

The Faded Legacy retirement train continues, as today we bid adieu to our Cragheart. His ability to create, remove, and relocate obstacles will be sorely missed, but in his wake he leaves behind a shiny new Triangles.
    We were all highly amused that the player has traded one Savvas for another. The Elementalist is a technicolor nightmare and is going to require some careful planning, but should be a blast — literally.

Our one remaining founding member, the Scoundrel, is still miles away from retirement and currently sitting just shy of level 7. We get to enjoy a couple of scenarios at difficulty 2 before returning to 3 at least.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    edited July 2018
    Ok, so I'm absolutely obsessed with this game, and may be close to purchasing it. Have thought about it even as a solo experience.

So, I'm sure i'm late to the party but I got TTS during the steam sale as it sounded pretty cool. The possibilities after I got it amazed me. I've spent much of my spare time the last 24 hours just reading through the manual, setting up the first scenario with two characters, and getting a glimpse of how things interact in Gloomhaven.

I simply am in love. I'm thinking about running through a few rounds in TTS with my girlfriend to see if she finds the mechanics fun. She may really enjoy it though. She likes video games, but isn't very good at them, and loves card and board games. It's how I got into them in the first place and started reading through stuff for recommendations.

I do worry she will get bored though, and I see how choice paralysis can happen. WIth the discards, and lost, and how cards work, I spent a good 5 or 10 minutes looking at cards in my hand the first time through. I also worry she'll just have me coach me through it, and just play it because I love it. Sometimes in Forbidden Desert she zones out as me and my dad talk about strategy and she basically lets us take her turn. Maybe it's me and my dad's fault.

Anyways, anythings I should look for, or key things to see if she enjoys to see if the game will click with her? It all sounds pretty genius to me, so I'm guessing it'll come down to characters and if she enjoys the core card mechanics.

I really want to buy this game and hope my GF will enjoy it, but I don't really want to buy a game she'll hate. I'm still new to this hobby with things other than risk, monopoly, drinking games, and card games. Any things I should look for to see if she likes it or things to point out basically "This is what the game is, and it's going to be this for 60 hours" ? lol.

I might just buy it because I love everything about it. I've owned many games in my life I've never been able to play much if at all. Axis and Allies, Hero Quest, Dragonquest (never played one game of it, still have it to this day).

Thanks everyone for any thoughts and input.

RickRude on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Gloomhaven is a pretty advanced dungeon crawler, given the card system and the town and all the other moving pieces.

There are other games in the genre that are much simpler up front (and also much cheaper) to kind of get your feet wet. The D&D adventure boardgames (Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon, other-one-I-forget) are good intros in that way.

edited July 2018
    Thanks for the tips! Gonna be playing Gloomhaven for the first time with my friends tonight. I noticed in the rulebook it states that the campaign can be shared with multiple parties but whnever a scenario is cleared with one party, the other party can't play it for the single campaign. Since I have two parties to play this game with would it be better to play the campaigns seperatly? That way we can experience everything instead of some parties missing out.

Any drawbacks to this method? It's basically just 2 Campaigns with 1 GloomHaven. I have extra character sheets and sleeves for our cards, am I missing anything else to keep fresh for the other party? As for the gameboard we won't be sticking anything to it and use a scenario tracker sheet instead.

Riokenn on
    Thanks for the tips! Gonna be playing Gloomhaven for the first time with my friends tonight. I noticed in the rulebook it states that the campaign can be shared with multiple parties but whnever a scenario is cleared with one party, the other party can't play it for the single campaign. Since I have two parties to play this game with would it be better to play the campaigns seperatly? That way we can experience everything instead of some parties missing out.

Any drawbacks to this method? It's basically just 2 Campaigns with 1 GloomHaven. I have extra character sheets and sleeves for our cards, am I missing anything else to keep fresh for the other party? As for the gameboard we won't be sticking anything to it and use a scenario tracker sheet instead.

When a scenario is cleared by a party, you can always play it again in "casual mode" with the other party, per the rulebook. (Although it does recommend not playing scenarios you haven't played before in casual mode, so ... ?)

I think the main drawback would be that the second party to clear, e.g., The Dungeon of Doom wouldn't really be unlocking anything new or cool, because it was already unlocked the first go-round, and so they wouldn't get to add a new item to the store, or open up a new dungeon, etc.

edited July 2018
    Right, I was asking if there were any drawbacks for doing 2 seperate campaigns instead of both parties sharing one.

Like for example, is there a scenario that would need two parties playing the same campaign to unlock?

Riokenn on
    Oh! You said "2 Campaigns with 1 GloomHaven," and I thought you meant "2 campaigns with the same city of Gloomhaven," not "2 campaigns with one box of Gloomhaven."

No, I think that two separate campaigns and two completely separate cities, etc., is definitely the way to go.

Haven't read ahead in the scenario book to verify, but I can't imagine that there's anything that would require two separate parties.

One thing about running two separate campaigns with one box that may not be readily apparent is that switching around each character's attack modifier deck adds a nontrivial amount of setup and teardown time once you're past level 1. It is a big timesaver to be able to stick your modifier deck in your character's box and not worry about it. With multiple campaigns, maybe you'd want to print out and sleeve up attack modifier decks #5 through #8 just so you don't have to mess with all that.

Same goes for item cards and the city's shop inventory, for that matter.

. It is a big timesaver to be able to stick your modifier deck in your character's box and not worry about it. With multiple campaigns, maybe you'd want to print out and sleeve up attack modifier decks #5 through #8 just so you don't have to mess with all that.

Same goes for item cards and the city's shop inventory, for that matter.

Agreed. I keep a diary of the two campaigns that I'm running-- one solo, one with a friend-- so that I can assemble the appropriate skill, item, and event decks as needed.

So, I was finally able to get my Gloomhaven insert put together.

I went with the Gloomhaven Town from Meeple Realty, and I really like it - bar a couple of things. First, the cut-out pieces are, in most cases, really difficult to separate cleanly from the wastage. There were several times that I was worried I was going to break the piece rather than get it off the "sprue" - though, in fairness to MR, that never actually happened. Instead, many pieces would end up splintering a bit along the grain in the natural wood. This required additional trimming and sanding, and isn't particularly visible in the end results. I was also able to cut down on this happening in most cases by using a hobby knife to do some extra scoring or cutting at the places where the pieces were tacked in to the wastage, which improved quality at the cost of a nontrivial amount of time and effort. Second, Meeple Realty chose to use a Gothic font for writing the labels on the lids of the trays that held, e.g., terrain overlays or monsters. This looks really cool. Mostly. The problems arise where the font is a touch too ornate, resulting in letters that kinda look like each other too much, and where the lettering was insufficiently burned in, so that it was actually a touch hard to see on the wood.

Given the cost and effort in putting this together, I decided to go super fancy and stain the wood. I picked a medium cherry and did two coats; the results of just the stain are pretty solid. I also elected to just stain the outside of the various trays and containers, so that there's a cool two-tone wood effect going on. The stain bled through to the mostly unstained side in several places, but not enough to matter to me. I then went over the lettering with some leafing pens (Krylon) that I had - gold, silver, and copper. The gold definitely turned out the best, though in my trial runs on test stock it was the copper that led the pack. The silver, for some reason, was especially runny, and ended up smearing a bit. Eventually, I'll look into a way to clean that up (and probably just redo the board in gold, which had far fewer problems). The ironic part was that I mostly did the leafing as a way to make the hard-to-read words stand out a bit more, but the leafing actually worked best on the words that had been properly lasered in - the borders of the letters captured the paint nicely - and the ones that needed it most were most likely to smear a bit, making them even harder to read.

Anyway, the Meeple Realty folks are straight-out liars in one respect: there is absolutely no way to get this thing together in 60 minutes; I don't care how good you are at insert construction. There's far too much work needed separating the pieces from the backing, sanding, and gluing (Weldbond) for that to ever be accurate. Still, I overall like the insert, and it makes putting things away so much faster and neater. It was a fun craft project, and I'm glad I did it. And, as promised, the box closes neatly and can be put on its side without pieces sliding around inside the box.

Anyway, some pics of the finished product are in the spoilers:
    The whole thing spread out:

7lmgsc0hl2cu.jpg

The player miniatures box:

ibg7gn16bhvw.jpg

Non-boss standees:

iwqogk5w5ndf.jpg

PC tuckboxes:

a0j8icxvpslk.jpg

All the cards (excepting those in tuckboxes); I'll end up labeling these eventually:

3x6vlircnjf0.jpg

Counters, status tokens, damage chits, etc.:

llyjnnqbgiml.jpg

One- and two-hex terrain overlays (and sloppy silver):

jdo16hd51gnn.jpg

Irregular and three-hex terrain overlays (copper; the Rubble section is in gold as a bit of a joke):

44mfsde83f7c.jpg

In the box:

vmtovqljthxp.jpg

I may just cave for a wooden insert, too. I'm looking for one that will hold sleeved cards well, though. I wouldn't mind sleeving the whole game - and I wouldn't do it with premiums - but finding an insert to support that might be a challenge.

People often mention there's cheaper alternatives to gloomhaven to see if a person likes it, what are some and how do they compare? I do worry that trying to get someone interested that a game that's not as good may hurt my case. If you're trying to show somebody Mexican food for the first time and you go to taco bell, they may think they hate Mexican food, if that metaphor works.

It's a totally different game but I worry afterm playing sentinels of the multiverse. We've only played 2 games, one a first time run through, the 2nd she had a character that just seemed boring as hell to play, the vision. I worry I may have soured her on games like thay, because while the concept and artwork is cool, the game play so far has been kind of not fun. I even find myself thinking this game isn't thay goof when we play it.

So I worry about getting something inferior to gloomhaven and souring the experience, but also might hate spending $150 on it and her hating it. Trying it in TTS isn't fair I don't think. I feel it works fine if you understand the game, but it's absolutely horrible trying to explain how it works.

I may just cave for a wooden insert, too. I'm looking for one that will hold sleeved cards well, though. I wouldn't mind sleeving the whole game - and I wouldn't do it with premiums - but finding an insert to support that might be a challenge.

In the one I posted, the larger cards are all sleeved in FFG sleeves, and the smaller cards will be sleeved as soon as my CSI order arrives. I've got a stash of mini American sleeves, but didn't notice until late in the process that Gloomhaven uses mini European-sized cards.

So is this game just brutal and are you expected to lose at times? I've been toying with it in TTS, and the fkrsg few times I lost track of hp sone how but was losing, and the third time I'm pretty sure I fudged somewhere and only completed it because I fudged up my upkeep I'm pretty sure. Also realized monsters are supposed to determine who they attack by initiative when there's a tie, so I'm pretty sure I should have lost!

Is that normal? I was playing by myself with 2 characters and didn't even up the monster difficulty like I was supposed to. Are you expected to possibly fail at first, and is failure going to be a common occurrence ? Spell weaver specific stuff as I'm not sure of spoiler rules on starting classes
    With the 8 card limit it seems easy to get exhausted as the spell weaver. Didn't help using the cards to get them back from the lost pile I had 2 cards still active. Was also playing as the brute for a meat shield

RickRude wrote: »
    So is this game just brutal and are you expected to lose at times? I've been toying with it in TTS, and the fkrsg few times I lost track of hp sone how but was losing, and the third time I'm pretty sure I fudged somewhere and only completed it because I fudged up my upkeep I'm pretty sure. Also realized monsters are supposed to determine who they attack by initiative when there's a tie, so I'm pretty sure I should have lost!

Is that normal? I was playing by myself with 2 characters and didn't even up the monster difficulty like I was supposed to. Are you expected to possibly fail at first, and is failure going to be a common occurrence ? Spell weaver specific stuff as I'm not sure of spoiler rules on starting classes
    With the 8 card limit it seems easy to get exhausted as the spell weaver. Didn't help using the cards to get them back from the lost pile I had 2 cards still active. Was also playing as the brute for a meat shield

Yes, especially at Level 1 before some classes get their strong Level 2 skills. I would say that playing with the Brute is a must in your first couple of games until you get a sense how the initiative system works and how Mooks prioritize their targets. That first room in the first dungeon with all of those archers waiting for you is meant to teach some harsh lessons.

Once you get the combat down, however, and learn how combos work, failure should not be that common, so make sure you are playing against the right Mook level. You may have it set too high.
    I'm not a huge fan of the Spellweaver, but if you're set on using her, I'd recommend holding off on that "Regain all of your Lost cards" card as long as possible. Once you play it, the timer starts on how much longer she will be standing upright.