As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Heat wave 2018: Mother nature's smackdown

RoeRoe Always to the EastRegistered User regular
edited July 2018 in Debate and/or Discourse
Its been pretty crazy here in the North East. Three full days of 90+ temps and we were getting the easy stuff.

Anything that makes you cooler from stores in my city is gone. People are hording every fan they can find and then some.

Talk about the 'oppressive heat' in your state in this topic.

oHw5R0V.jpg
Roe on

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Air conditioning is mankind's greatest achievement.

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    It's actually been cooler here in north Georgia recently.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Los Angeles is gearing up to spontaneously combust.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    it finally rained in NYC today.

hopefully it's cooling down now

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

Yeah it's cloudy in DC, which means it's the first time in a while I haven't been miserably sweaty walking into work at 8:30 AM.

• GyralGyral Registered User regular
    This summer will kill me. Long story short, I'm currently getting my In-Laws house ready to be sold and the upstairs AC unit goes down. So I'm juggling trying to get the guy in to repair it when my wife breaks her leg. So, it takes three appointments to finally get the damn thing fixed so that the agent will stop bitching about not being able to show the house.

And then the drip tray on our home unit hits capacity because the AC has been running full blast for days straight now. So, I shop vac the water out of that and I'm babying that unit along because I'll be goddamned if I'm paying to repair two AC units in one year. And of course this is the hottest summer in years.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Heat wave? Says the high for my area is going to be 106, so I guess the heat wave isn't hitting us.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »

Yeah it's cloudy in DC, which means it's the first time in a while I haven't been miserably sweaty walking into work at 8:30 AM.

This weekend we are breaking out of the heat in the DMV. Looks gorgeous.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    How many years in a row do heat waves have to occur before you start calling it summer again?

Seems like new normal for Southern California. :?

Tumin on
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Tumin wrote: »
    How many years in a row do heat waves have to occur before you start calling it summer again?

Seems like new normal for Southern California. :?

Mojave Desert says hi

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    RT800 wrote: »

air conditioning is contributing to the problem.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    how about that weather eh

poo
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/10/science/air-conditioner-global-warming.html hm

poo
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited July 2018

Air conditioning saves tens of thousands of lives.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_European_heat_wave

In 2003, over 70,000 people died during a European heat wave, including 14,800 people in France during only 8 consecutive August days. Most were elderly, living in homes with no AC.

spool32 on
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Also, the weather here has been hot af as well, with lots of 100+ days starting in late May.

I'm pretty done with this weather.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I love it. We had snow from November thru April and that’s so much worse.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Over here, the heat's pretty manageable, all things considered. We've had worse.

It's the drought that's the real problem.

Which is kind of amusing, because the Netherlands isn't exactly known for not having enough water.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Its was actually cooler than normal up here in the PNW, and still is.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited July 2018

I go back and forth between that and the dishwasher. Depends on the time of year.

It's nuts in the UK at the moment too. We're topping 80°F daily (84 today); and nobody's house has air conditioning, neither do most businesses, and it's with high humidity. A breeze is a rarity at the moment too. So it might not be quite at the peaks you guys in the States are getting, but it's much harder to escape. (Edit: hence those 2003 fatality figures above.)

Stay safe and well, everyone.

Jazz on
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    I read that Ireland and the UK are having a drought, and are shocked by the lack of clouds and a constantly sunny, blue sky.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    All I really have to add is that it's normally 90 here at 1am during this time of year so we should consider building a giant pair of sunglasses to float between the earth and the sun.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Jephery wrote: »
    I read that Ireland and the UK are having a drought, and are shocked by the lack of clouds and a constantly sunny, blue sky.

Usually there is at least some cloud, even if only minor. I haven't seen one in days.

I don't know if we're officially in drought yet, if so I haven't heard; but in pretty much all practical terms, yeah, we basically are. I've seen water-saving tips doing the rounds on Facebook.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Got a pile of gunpla not getting airbrushed here. But also airbrushing is scary, so thanks nature for taking this difficult hobby task away from me!

Oh brilliant
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    All I want to do right now is go for a swim in a river or a lake or a pond or something but the only one that is anywhere me is lake ontario and i'm way to close to toronto for that to be an option. :/

• SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    All I really have to add is that it's normally 90 here at 1am during this time of year so we should consider building a giant pair of sunglasses to float between the earth and the sun.

We really only need one, so how about a floating monocle?

Then we can give Earth the fancy top hat it so desperately needs.

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I can see that monocle functioning as a giant focusing lens, resulting in a sun-powered laser beam capable of destroying cities during the day..

But also a neat telescope at night.

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Rd been terrible here in the Midwest, but it's now 72 degrees for a high and 42% humidity. Just perfect.

We've made mother nature cranky and prone to mood swings, so we better wise up before she gets angry.

Veevee on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/10/science/air-conditioner-global-warming.html hm

Solution: Nuclear power supplemented with renewable energies

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Heat index over 100 for the next few days here in North Dakota. It’s hot yo

• BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    We officially hit the "rainy" season here in Albuquerque yesterday.

No more temps of mid 90s to 100s. Now a more sane mid 80's heading down to a near perfect of low 70's next week.

• ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Jeez I’d kill for 80 temperatures.

Yesterday I was mowing the yard with a push mower. It was 99 and 53% humidity.

I have to take a 10 min break every half hour or so to go inside and cool off and get some water, so it takes forever to finish.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

also like
    As of 2009, nearly 90 percent of American homes have air-conditioners, which account for about 6 percent of all the country’s residential energy use.

for the US residential Electrical is ~21% of greenhouse emissions

so AC is like ~1% total

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    It got up to ~113F last weekend here in the 'frozen north' of Canada, and being in downtown Toronto with the heat radiating off the concrete was an experience that gave me newfound sympathy for things cooked in ovens.

Luckily it was only for part of Saturday, but for a few nights it was still hovering around 85-95 at night, like, 1 or 2 in the morning. I was at a bachelor party and we left the bar with it feeling like things had barely abated.

Thankfully it only lasted for the weekend, maybe 3-4 days? But it's quite a set of extremes to live in a section of the world that can be somewhere between -40F and 110F+. A 150 degree Fahrenheit swing is a bit much.

A horrific windchill a few years back was what taught me that -40F and C is the same temperature. Suffice to say, it is fucking cold.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

Air conditioning saves tens of thousands of lives.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_European_heat_wave

In 2003, over 70,000 people died during a European heat wave, including 14,800 people in France during only 8 consecutive August days. Most were elderly, living in homes with no AC.

Both of these statements are true, although if we weren’t busily warming the climate in other ways we could have our cake and eat it too, with available ac for rare heatwaves and for the vulnerable.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    If global warming is real why is it so hot this summer?

• jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    Yeah, with the exception of the thunderstorms on the 4th that nearly electrocuted my brother making the temperature drop about 20 degrees, it's been hot AF in Central Texas. Which isn't out of the ordinary, but for some reason it feels different this year. I don't know if the humidity is higher than normal or I'm just becoming an old man extra sensitive to the weather as I'm approaching 40, but for whatever reason the heat extra-sucks this year.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »

also like
    As of 2009, nearly 90 percent of American homes have air-conditioners, which account for about 6 percent of all the country’s residential energy use.

for the US residential Electrical is ~21% of greenhouse emissions

so AC is like ~1% total

That number is likely to climb as global warming increases (and reinforces the cycle because of greenhouse emissions) until such a point where we can reduce emissions and install carbon sinks. The good news is it looks like they found a way to take in more carbon from the atmosphere than the power consumption of the carbon sink device. So we might actually have a long term solution to AGW. The even better news is you can put them in areas with lots of solar power and build a lot of them and have a considerable impact in the environment.

I think there's 2-3 solutions that are ready to go currently they just need $$$ investments. I'd have to look that up though.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Los Angeles always will be surprised by summer heat, we get hoodwinked by June gloom every year.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    We just ended an entire week of 40+ Celsisus degrees in eastern Canada. Today, temperatures are finally back to a more normal state.

At most we get usually 2-3 days of 40+ in an entire year.

Climate has been all over the place this year. I don't like this.

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Carbon sinking machines seem kind of weird when that's literally what plants already do.

Someone, presumably the government, still needs to pay money to run them. And if you're paying money to sink carbon anyway my suspicion that your best $/carbon value is to pay people to farm bamboo (or whatever is considered expedient) and then just bury it.

But anyway my larger point is I don't think home AC is some bit of massive waste that's driving global warming... residential energy prices are generally high enough that the average joes of the world do what they can to conserve energy because they don't want big bills. The cheapskate dad demanding you put on a sweater or open the windows before he'll turn the heater/AC on has been a stereotype far longer than anyone's cared about global warming.

The problem is at the top starting with using fossil fuels to generate power (or heat directly) in the first place, and the bajillion gallons of gasoline we burn every single day.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies