As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Price of Doing Business

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited July 2018 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - The Price of Doing Business

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    Pokemon don't evolve in Pokemon Go, they get Mad Pokemon Disease.

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • sokpupetsokpupet Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Click here to find out what Big Pokemon Candy doesn't want you to know!

sokpupet on
  • T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    Wait... is this feeding Pokemon to other Pokemon an actual feature in the new games?

Jesus, when did Pokemon get so dark?

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    In Pokemon Go you level up your Pokemon by turning dupes into candy which you then feed them.

steam_sig.png
  • donnbobhardydonnbobhardy Registered User regular
    If you want to get technical, you transfer your Pokemon to Professor Oak, who sends you a candy as a reward. I don't believe that any Pokemon are actually harmed in this process. :P

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I casually referred to the process of transferring (as it’s called in the game) as “rendering down spare Pokémon” while talking about the game at work

Judging by the reactions I got, I think that my friends hadn’t made that inference

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Sending pokemon to the soylent green factory. Dark Nintendo dark.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Every time I think evil Pokemon Trainer Gabe has reached the limit, they break it.
    If you want to get technical, you transfer your Pokemon to Professor Oak, who sends you a candy as a reward. I don't believe that any Pokemon are actually harmed in this process. :P

Oh sweet summer child. How do you think Oak makes the candy?

H9f4bVe.png
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

dawg he sends you a very specifically flavoured candy as a reward. You think he's got 600+ jars of candy he's sorting through to pick out the correct one to send you?

Oh brilliant
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    T-Danger wrote: »
    Jesus, when did Pokemon get so dark?

Um

I'd say some time around gen 1

gnqAqcX.png
    Pokédex wrote:
    Wears the skull of its deceased mother. Its cries echo inside the skull and come out as a sad melody.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    In Star Trek Online, as in a few other MMOs, the fleet starbases - think "guild garrisons", "player housing", etc - have various upgrade/unlock "projects" to complete, by feeding them a certain amount of commodities, credits, dilithium, etc etc. A common requirement is common/basic/white-quality NPC crew members; in theory you're assigning them to the task, new department, whatever... but I've always imagined a giant with an equally large coal shovel, like a stoker on a steamship or locomotive, scooping up redshirts by the half-dozen and throwing them into the ever-hungry furnace at the heart of the starbase.

Commander Zoom on
  • SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Every time I think evil Pokemon Trainer Gabe has reached the limit, they break it.

Oh sweet summer child. How do you think Oak makes the candy?

Ever wonder what happens to all those Pokedex fodders the trainers catch and never look at again? This is probably pretty close

• RenegadePhantomRenegadePhantom Registered User regular
    I'm really torn on Pokémon Go. On the one hand, I hate everything about it, and when that wasn't enough, now actual console titles are getting infected with this bullshit.

On the other hand, the new player influx will help development for mainline titles, so that's good. But since Pokémon was already one of the biggest franchises on the planet, they didn't really need those. And those new players will want the mobile bullshit on the mainline titles if they're buying those which means my experience might well be less.

I'm withholding judgement until the mainline titles hit, I'd really hate it if yet another company stopped making stuff I liked, what's even left at this point? Star Wars isn't aimed at me anymore, Cyberpunk turned into Deus Ex instead of scifi Witcher, Bioware is in the process of being thoroughly gutted by EA, Star Trek is explosions and character assassination.

God is this how people become old? Thinking only stuff from their 'generation' was good and all new things suck? Christ I'm not even 30 yet.

I'm going to go back into my cave and play Recettear again.

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    When has Pokemon been anything but "mobile bullshit?" Aren't the console games usually the weird peripheral ones? The series was practically made for phones. Link cables? Grinding? Simple gameplay, with a focus on collecting? Pokemon Snap? Pokemon was a mobile game before cell phones were even invented.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    God is this how people become old? Thinking only stuff from their 'generation' was good and all new things suck? Christ I'm not even 30 yet.

I'm going to go back into my cave and play Recettear again.

Yes.

You will be issued a lawn, which you can place outside your cave and yell at damn kids to get off of.

• KredKred Registered User regular

Basically, yes. I'm 45 and think Pokemon, in any form, is ridiculous.

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Kred wrote: »
    Basically, yes. I'm 45 and think Pokemon, in any form, is ridiculous.

Apparently, I've been old since my 20s, then. I was of the generation that was just old enough to miss Pokemon. I know some people that age still got into it (the PA guys are a good example), but for me it's a totally foreign country.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Drifloon is my favorite of the weird and creepy pokemon

250px-425Drifloon.png
    pokedex wrote:
    Stories go that it grabs the hands of small children and drags them away to the afterlife. It dislikes heavy children.

I believe there's also a sword pokemon (Honedge?) that is cursed, and will kill you if you grab it by the hilt.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    First off, Pokémon Let's Go is not really mainline. They said there would be a "real" Pokémon game on Switch next year.

But honestly, if the series does go down the "Let's Go" route, I'll be happy. I don't know about you, but I really don't care for those zillion Zubat fights in the cavern I have to cross, or all this tall grass backtracking. If that grind was fun and not a complete waste of time, there wouldn't be Repels for sale everywhere.

I also wish they'd get rid of natures and IVs! Holy shit, what an annoyance! There isn't even any strategy to it, it's just a ridiculously high barrier of entry and a long, boring pain in the ass.

Djiem on
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Pokemon don't kill Pokemon. People kill Pokemon.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Pokemon don't kill Pokemon. People kill Pokemon.
    It stuns its prey with psychokinesis and then grinds them to mush with its strong teeth. Even Shellder's shell is no match for it.
    Using their very hot, flame-covered tongues, they burn through Durant's steel bodies and consume their insides.
    It circles in the sky, keeping a keen eye out for Pokémon in a weakened state. Its choicest food is Cubone.

No, Pokemon kill Pokemon.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Sun & Moon established that crowds of Spearow will happily murder a child over territorial disputes

• shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    Gabe is off his meds again.