As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Prime/West foodie list back for another year (assistance wanted)

ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
edited June 2018 in PAX West

I don't care about all those words below just show me the list!

So here goes the list for 2018. Again we are starting with the end of last years list and I'm sure some places have closed, moved, or have new hours. Please feel free to post any updates and Curse or I will update the list as soon as we can.

Another year, another PAX Prime (do I have to say west?) and what would that be without the great food destination list!

This list is not meant to be a list of the snobby foofoo only places but rather a list of places "somewhat unique" to the Seattle or upper Pacific NW area and somewhat close to PAX. Unless it is REALLY awesome and unique if it is not within a reasonable no car distance to PAX it may not make the list. If you are just interested in places like McDonald's, Taco, Bell, etc I have linked a map by another contributor at the bottom of this post. It has been around for several years so may be out of date a bit.

So the list is huge and is linked below but here are some notes first.
  • Distance from the WSCC is in the column marked distance. This is calculated by entering the WSCC and the eatery into Google maps. I choose the WALK option so distance by car will be farther due to all the one way streets.
  • The "Show Me!" column has a"GMap" label this is for those of us looking at the map on a mobile device that want to be able to get a map to the location from your current location. Clicking this link will open up Google maps with a pin of the address and let you get directions.
  • Price Scale, we have done our best to put the pricing in the following scale most based on yelp or other reviews. $ = less than $10, $$ = $10 - $20, $$$ = > $30, $$$$ = Crazy expensive
A notice to all out of towners going in large groups. Most places will charge an automatic gratuity of around 18% for groups 6 or more even if your service is subpar.

I have been asked a few times what my "can't miss" places are. Well every year I make it a point to visit Molly Moon's ice cream the hill is a hike but they have some awesome flavors. Lil Woody's has a great burger just avoid them Monday as they give them away free on labor day (usually 2-5pm) and the lines are nuts. You also cannot go wrong heading down to pikes place market and visiting one of the many small shops there.

Making suggestions and or corrections, places closed etc (and please do!!)

I am very busy at work this year but want to keep this list as updated as possible so please give us as many details as possible if you want your suggestion added. I just won't have as much research time this year as past years. As people post places in the thread we will update the spreadsheet listing about once a week or 2 with those that make sense and have enough details. PLEASE include what you think the pricing is like in the $-$$$ format if you suggest a listing. If you don't give us details chances are we will say oh sounds cool but not list it because we don't know enough about it. Please at least give the pricing and type of food. If you can include the address, website, and distance that is even more helpful.

Here is a link to the current spreadsheet.

Oh look here is a crazy busy map I made of all the places in the list!

And here are extra maps of places other members have created.

Fast Food map by Initialdor

Gluten Free places map by ?? (Aww this one is gone the owner trashed it. If you have one let me know and I'll link to it.)

Finally if you are interested in helping in a larger capacity I am looking for assistance maintaining this list as I'm pretty busy with work and frankly not sure how many more PAXes (PAXen?) I can catch badges for. This is year 9 but competition is fierce. Everyone can read the list but for edit access I would prefer someone local to the area and committed to updating details for the next few years at a minimum. PM me if interested. Enjoy the food and enjoy PAX!

Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
vn6ID15.png

ElmoFuntz on

• Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    This isn't within walking distance so I'm not submitting it for the spreadsheet, but we're opening a motherfucking VIKING BEER HALL in Ballard this summer. I'm sure we'll have some sort of PAX special and will update this post with more information as we get closer.

EDIT: The city took FIVE MONTHS to issue our construction permit, so it looks like we won't be open on time for PAX after all. Booo!!!!

http://www.skalballard.com

LexiconGrrl on
    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    KeroanKeroan Chicago, IllinoisRegistered User regular
    I would highly recommend that parties interested in food of the breakfast variety go to the Biscuit Bitch. I honestly haven't stopped thinking about it since. I wish I could set up a pup tent outside and they could just install a gravy slide into my mouth.

• Options
    dm_magicdm_magic Registered User regular
    Keroan wrote: »
    I would highly recommend that parties interested in food of the breakfast variety go to the Biscuit Bitch. I honestly haven't stopped thinking about it since. I wish I could set up a pup tent outside and they could just install a gravy slide into my mouth.

I second this. Amazing food. The only thing this place is missing is beer on tap. Or at least in a can.

bn4KEyz.png
  • Options
    ScunosiScunosi WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I hate to recommend this 'cuz it's usually not that crowded despite it's location, but it's a real shame Lil' Woody's isn't already on this list. A really short walk (but uphill) from the WSCC that sells tasty burgers, shakes, and delicious fries (which you can get covered in queso). They also have a selection of a few beers. Not exactly fast food prices but not crazy expensive either.

Other than that I can't think of anything popular/good other than Buffalo Wild Wings that's not on the list, but that's not exactly a local thing. But then even Taphouse and Blue C are chains, too, so not sure where you draw the line on that.

Scunosi on
  • Options
    CKingCKing Registered User regular
    Scunosi wrote: »
    I hate to recommend this 'cuz it's usually not that crowded despite it's location, but it's a real shame Lil' Woody's isn't already on this list. A really short walk (but uphill) from the WSCC that sells tasty burgers, shakes, and delicious fries (which you can get covered in queso). They also have a selection of a few beers. Not exactly fast food prices but not crazy expensive either.

Other than that I can't think of anything popular/good other than Buffalo Wild Wings that's not on the list, but that's not exactly a local thing. But then even Taphouse and Blue C are chains, too, so not sure where you draw the line on that.

I feel like Lil Woody's used to be on the list. I know I've suggested it before. Don't forget free burgers on labor day (though, that line is always long).

• Options
    cursecurse Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    I
    CKing wrote: »
    Scunosi wrote: »

I feel like Lil Woody's used to be on the list. I know I've suggested it before. Don't forget free burgers on labor day (though, that line is always long).

I added this to the list. I'll try and work through the list and delete anything that is closed, get things back up to shape. Things change fast in the Seattle restaurant area...

7lcw1cifdzb4.png
  • Options
    Hmm not sure how lil woody's fell off I know it used to be on there. Love that place. Hate the uphill walk though.

vn6ID15.png

• Options
    TorcánTorcán Registered User new member
    There are two places in the pioneer square area (about a mile walk) that are worth the trek over there and back. Maybe not during PAX but the day before or day after.

Tat's Delicatessen (not sure why it's called that) - cheese steak place owed and run by a transplant from Philly. Super authentic according to the guys I used to work with who were from Philly. 1.0 mile
    The Berliner Doner Kebab - it's like a Greek Gyro but Turkish-German and way better. 1.1 miles

• Options
    HalseySpartan2HalseySpartan2 Quality Assurance Engineer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I PM'd you with some info on the southend

SHwjM12.png
  • Options
    InitialdorInitialdor Seattle's Carl Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I can't commit to reviewing anything; I'm no real foodie anyway. But I'm still going to update my food map of the central business district. Updated August 12th: https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/0n/177qd3g730b4.jpg Almost all of the foodie list within this area is on there, except for the cram-packed Pike Place Market.

Initialdor on
    2018 West: Badges [x] TWDT [Rclaw TT] Cosplay: Still bald. Still single. Still lovin' it!
    "Fantasy football still counts as fantasy." -DnD Greg
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I have gotten a few email notifications of people requesting access to the document recently. Please be aware anyone can view but I'm not granting edit rights to "just anyone". If your asking be committed to reviewing everything and maintaining not just adding a few entries. I suspect people just wanted to view.

ElmoFuntz on
    vn6ID15.png

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Only thing to add that my friends have recommended to me is https://www.kamonegiseattle.com/

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    So are we just trying to keep it to places within about a mile of the WSCC or good places to eat?

I love Kamonegi, but it's far from the WSCC.

7lcw1cifdzb4.png
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Whoops, did not realize it was that far.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    curse wrote: »
    So are we just trying to keep it to places within about a mile of the WSCC or good places to eat?

I love Kamonegi, but it's far from the WSCC.

Traditionally yes I've tried to keep it "walking" distance. Buses no longer being free and parking costs what they are I figured this works best for the majority of people.

vn6ID15.png

• Options
    ddt58ddt58 Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Italian Family Pizza at 1028 Madison. Good east coast style pizza.

• Options
    ddt58 wrote: »
    Italian Family Pizza at 1028 Madison. Good east coast style pizza.

Added.

7lcw1cifdzb4.png
  • Options
    alchahestalchahest Edmonton, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    edit - wrong thread! sorry!

alchahest on
  • Options
    outlander317@icloud.comoutlander317@icloud.com Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    delete this

outlander317@icloud.com on
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    delete this

• Options
    edited June 2018
    The DAILY GRILL on Pike St. is one of our "Go To" places.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    delete this

• Options
    edited July 2018
    I emailed the Daily Grill to see if they would offer their Manhattan Clam Chowder Aug 31-Sept 3 and they just responded and said YES. Enjoy the taste of Seattle.

• Options
    keeblerdot72keeblerdot72 Registered User new member
    Gluten Free options:
    I'm celiac in the Seattle area so everything I mention here I've eaten at multiple times with no issue or have eaten their once and the restaurant has amazing celiac safe reviews from "Find me gluten free" App (apple and android show different celiac reviews on this app, I have android)

Mae Phim Thai @ 213 Pike St.
    Great thai food, some of the best i've had in seattle. I get Pad thai and fresh rolls usually, they are knowledgeable in allergies.

Uli's Famous Sausage @ 1511 Pike Pl (in the market)
    Absoultely my favorite place to eat in seattle. It can be busy at times but its worth the wait. You can order any sausage except some of the beer ones. Dedicated fryer. They are great with food allergies.

The pike brewing company @ 1415 1st ave
    I've eaten here every pax and had a great time. Haven't been in over year but last time I went they had GF burger and other options, They also server GF beer

Capitol Cider @ 818 E Pike St. (a longer walk from convention center but often their are pax related after parties near this location)
    A medium+ price option thats great for a romantic date or some high quality food. The place is virtually* a full gluten free establishment. They have an exceptional cider and wine selection as well as some more exotic/unique menu items that are worth the price.

Razzis Pizza seattle @ 1314 Howell St.
    BEST gluten free pizza you will ever have. A bit pricey but you should be used to the Gluten Free tax. Great place never had an issue with cross contamination. Not alot of seating the downtown location. They have multiple dedicated kitchen spaces and serve some good gluten free beer.

Ghost fish brewing company @ 2942 1st ave S (Not walking distance - Must take an uber/Drive)
    This is a full gluten free establishment. They make the absolute best gluten free beer. If you're from out of town this place is worth taking the time to visit. Its the only gluten free beer I drink and the staff is amazing. (They are dog friendly)

• Options
    keeblerdot72keeblerdot72 Registered User new member
    Biscuit bitch is another gluten free breakfast place but they ARE NOT CELIAC SAFE. Located 1 or 2 blocks up from pike place.

• Options
    Gluten Free options:
    I'm celiac in the Seattle area so everything I mention here I've eaten at multiple times with no issue or have eaten their once and the restaurant has amazing celiac safe reviews from "Find me gluten free" App (apple and android show different celiac reviews on this app, I have android)

Mae Phim Thai @ 213 Pike St.
    Great thai food, some of the best i've had in seattle. I get Pad thai and fresh rolls usually, they are knowledgeable in allergies.

Uli's Famous Sausage @ 1511 Pike Pl (in the market)
    Absoultely my favorite place to eat in seattle. It can be busy at times but its worth the wait. You can order any sausage except some of the beer ones. Dedicated fryer. They are great with food allergies.

The pike brewing company @ 1415 1st ave
    I've eaten here every pax and had a great time. Haven't been in over year but last time I went they had GF burger and other options, They also server GF beer

Capitol Cider @ 818 E Pike St. (a longer walk from convention center but often their are pax related after parties near this location)
    A medium+ price option thats great for a romantic date or some high quality food. The place is virtually* a full gluten free establishment. They have an exceptional cider and wine selection as well as some more exotic/unique menu items that are worth the price.

Razzis Pizza seattle @ 1314 Howell St.
    BEST gluten free pizza you will ever have. A bit pricey but you should be used to the Gluten Free tax. Great place never had an issue with cross contamination. Not alot of seating the downtown location. They have multiple dedicated kitchen spaces and serve some good gluten free beer.

Ghost fish brewing company @ 2942 1st ave S (Not walking distance - Must take an uber/Drive)
    This is a full gluten free establishment. They make the absolute best gluten free beer. If you're from out of town this place is worth taking the time to visit. Its the only gluten free beer I drink and the staff is amazing. (They are dog friendly)

Have updated the list, added gluten free to notes.

7lcw1cifdzb4.png
  • Options
    MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Macon, GARegistered User regular
    All of this is well and good, but it's a disgrace that no one's even mentioned the only important place to eat in Seattle... Top Pot.
    CNwt4UfUsAATsmX.jpg

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I might require insulin injections just from viewing that image.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    I'll add something about the food trucks. Which ones are there changes from day to day, and they tend to put them on 9th, which you might not go down unless you were heading to the Paramount.
    85r0bx49wn7g.png
    The grey area is the main part of the convention center. The green bar is the street the food trucks on normally on.

• Options
    TashannocTashannoc Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I notice Mod Pizza isn't on the list. I love it because it's a flat, affordable price for decent pizza with whatever toppings you want. I highly recommend ordering using their website and picking up rather than waiting in line. Super close to WSCC as well.

EDIT: Also, i THINK they have a gluten free option.

Tashannoc on
  • Options
    ddt58ddt58 Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    There are usually several food trucks at Westlake Park at lunch every week day. There is a website called seattlefoodtruck.com that gives the daily schedule and locations. If the Nosh truck is nearby, their British style fish and chips are great.

• Options
    KeroanKeroan Chicago, IllinoisRegistered User regular
    Tashannoc wrote: »
    I notice Mod Pizza isn't on the list. I love it because it's a flat, affordable price for decent pizza with whatever toppings you want. I highly recommend ordering using their website and picking up rather than waiting in line. Super close to WSCC as well.

Oh GOSH yes. I tried it in Seattle before they moved to Illinois and I still hold them very close to my heart. They usually have beers & other fun things if you're looking to hang out. I will say that the one near the convention center is usually swamped (it's pizza, I mean... duh) and that seats were very limited in the restaurant itself around lunch time.

• Options
    Tashannoc wrote: »

Added to the list.

They have a GF crust option but the serving line is shared between GF and Non-GF so those with allergies and sensitivities may have issues.

7lcw1cifdzb4.png
  • Options
    KeniHillKeniHill Registered User new member
    Some of my personal favorites over the years:
    MOD Pizza
    Saleys
    Pike Place Chowder
    Beechers
    Homegrown
    Market House
    Japonessa
    Mee Sum
    Piroshki Piroshki
    Crumpet Shop

• Options
    InitialdorInitialdor Seattle's Carl Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Food Map of Seattle's Central Business District - Last updated August 12th 2018
    177qd3g730b4.jpg

I updated the Food Map for this year. Too many changes to list, but I have added every restaurant on the Foodie spreadsheet in this map's area which could fit. Couldn't cram them all in... For example, there's too many good spots in Pike Place Market to show them all, and Sweetgrass didn't make it onto the north edge under "Great State Burgers". (Speaking of burgers: Lil Woodys is just off the map NE on Pine, and Saleys is gone.)
    My favorite new addition is A Pizza Mart hidden away 'behind' the convention center on Seneca and 8th. It's a 21+ bar, so don't bring your kids. They have by-the-slice available and they're one of the few places in this town that put real friggin' bacon on their pies! (Use the Freeway Park path from the 4th floor rear exit - through PAX's smoking section - to avoid the main crowds.)

Initialdor on
    2018 West: Badges [x] TWDT [Rclaw TT] Cosplay: Still bald. Still single. Still lovin' it!
    "Fantasy football still counts as fantasy." -DnD Greg
  • Options
    bunny_shotbunny_shot Registered User regular
    What about Piroshky Piroshky in Pike Place Market?? 0.5 mile walking distance. Price is $
    ...or ANY of the places to eat in Pike Place! <3

Do a Barrel Roll!
    Bunny_Shot's Pins
    qwa1uqcje8nw.png

• Options
    bunny_shotbunny_shot Registered User regular
    ddt58 wrote: »
    There are usually several food trucks at Westlake Park at lunch every week day. There is a website called seattlefoodtruck.com that gives the daily schedule and locations. If the Nosh truck is nearby, their British style fish and chips are great.

You can usually find Sam Choy's Poke truck around the area too! SO GOOD.

Do a Barrel Roll!
    Bunny_Shot's Pins
    qwa1uqcje8nw.png

• Options
    Raven1138Raven1138 Registered User new member
    Anyone have a good recomendation for a ramen place that is walking distance from the SCC? Thinking about grabbing a bowl of Spicy Ramn after hearing Bungie is there.

• Options
    rorshack6rorshack6 Registered User regular
    Kizuki, Tentenyu, and Danbo were recommended in a reddit post. Although the latter two were given just in case Kizuki was too crowded
    https://www.reddit.com/r/PAX/comments/8okpgd/from_a_pax_west_native/

• Options
    Initialdor wrote: »
    Food Map of Seattle's Central Business District - Last updated August 12th 2018
    177qd3g730b4.jpg

I updated the Food Map for this year. Too many changes to list, but I have added every restaurant on the Foodie spreadsheet in this map's area which could fit. Couldn't cram them all in... For example, there's too many good spots in Pike Place Market to show them all, and Sweetgrass didn't make it onto the north edge under "Great State Burgers". (Speaking of burgers: Lil Woodys is just off the map NE on Pine, and Saleys is gone.)
    My favorite new addition is A Pizza Mart hidden away 'behind' the convention center on Seneca and 8th. It's a 21+ bar, so don't bring your kids. They have by-the-slice available and they're one of the few places in this town that put real friggin' bacon on their pies! (Use the Freeway Park path from the 4th floor rear exit - through PAX's smoking section - to avoid the main crowds.)

Mmmmm Bacon, nice!

vn6ID15.png