As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nioh: Onimusouls Action Available on Feb 7!

• l_gl_g Registered User regular
    I think it's more like there are some stances which just feel obviously good versus some enemies (whichever stance gives you Kick versus skeletons), and some stances which feel dangerous to use against some enemies (usually High stance). If you can optimize stance switching with Ki charge, it can be powerful, and it gives you more stamina back than using the dodge Ki charge... buuut, if you've determined a good strat for fighting a given enemy with a given stance, go with it. Nioh is hard enough already!

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    l_g wrote: »
    I think it's more like there are some stances which just feel obviously good versus some enemies (whichever stance gives you Kick versus skeletons), and some stances which feel dangerous to use against some enemies (usually High stance). If you can optimize stance switching with Ki charge, it can be powerful, and it gives you more stamina back than using the dodge Ki charge... buuut, if you've determined a good strat for fighting a given enemy with a given stance, go with it. Nioh is hard enough already!

That is probably a better way of putting it. I did definitely fight enemies in different stances, I just rarely switched.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I'm actually kind of scared about sekiro not having levels...cause that means i will not be able to grind and outlevel the content.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I'm slightly ahead on levels for these missions, yeah. Just did Umi-Bozu which wasn't bad at all, didn't even notice I could use the fires to ignite my weapon until afterwards. I was just using charms.

Managed to fall into the water in that level plenty enough to make up for having an easy time with the boss.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Can anyone suggest a good place to grind amatea for someone who just beat the basic game difficulty, about level 120? I can do the regular parts of the first DLC level, but the boss is completely fucking me up. I know a lot of people use the hidden area where you fight human bosses in a boss rush way, but im still working on getting the sword skill to unlock the area (I've played the Kura all this time).

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    It took me a long time, maybe 30 hours, before I realized how useful blocking is. As a huge souls player it is ironic that a series noted for pushing players out of the norm managed to instill a habit that hit me in the ass.

I finished the base game and NG+ utilising my long term "don't block ever" policy. Worked out ok (I suck at these games and the extra button to manage is just too much for me).

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    I'm slightly ahead on levels for these missions, yeah. Just did Umi-Bozu which wasn't bad at all, didn't even notice I could use the fires to ignite my weapon until afterwards. I was just using charms.

Managed to fall into the water in that level plenty enough to make up for having an easy time with the boss.

This level is really sapping my will to continue playing this game.

it is bizarre that being a sailor is a big part of his backstory but he can't swim

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    l_g wrote: »
    it is bizarre that being a sailor is a big part of his backstory but he can't swim

A good sailor never has to learn how to swim.

• BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    That was actually a thing though, sailors of the time did not learn to swim for a variety of odd reasons. Most were very superstitious and it was seen as "tempting fate", as you are learning something that would only be used if something bad happened. More pragmatically, the ships could not turn very well, so if a sailor did go overboard then they were as good as dead anyways.

In a modern perspective, it would be like bringing a parachute with you on as your airplane carry-on. Most of the other passengers are going to think you're paranoid and you'll probably spend quite a bit more time talking to security.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    I think carrying around 300 pieces of armor would probably sink the best swimmer around.

It's incredibly incredibly annoying gameplay wise, whatever else it might be.

edited July 2018
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    I think carrying around 300 pieces of armor would probably sink the best swimmer around.

It's incredibly incredibly annoying gameplay wise, whatever else it might be.

Ahem I might need that level 2 piece of armor for fashion reasons
    but yeah most of what you pick up in the game is junk
    Bluecyan wrote: »
    That was actually a thing though, sailors of the time did not learn to swim for a variety of odd reasons. Most were very superstitious and it was seen as "tempting fate", as you are learning something that would only be used if something bad happened. More pragmatically, the ships could not turn very well, so if a sailor did go overboard then they were as good as dead anyways.

In a modern perspective, it would be like bringing a parachute with you on as your airplane carry-on. Most of the other passengers are going to think you're paranoid and you'll probably spend quite a bit more time talking to security.

Super interesting! I never knew this!

l_g on
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    There's one hell of a difficulty jump going from Way of the Strong to Way of the Demon isn't there.

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Came late to this but was gifted the complete edition.

Holy cow this game is great. I honestly think of it as an improvement of the souls series. While I may like the setting of Bloodbourne more (mainly because I'm ignorant of Japanese history, though it has grown on me in a big way), the combat and mechanics feel like both an improvement in gameplay and quality of life.

Also a camera that actually stays locked on!

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmzW0IYhXlk

Apparently folks should keep an eye out for an Nioh 2 Alpha invitation. People are currently streaming it and things are looking good.

Hey check your emails because I got in this morning, downloading now and will report back.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Super excited for Nioh 2. Nioh, much like the Dark Souls trilogy, is one of those games I've gone through multiple times and enjoyed it every time. I'm not a huge replayer, I don't replay most games...but Nioh is on the list.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Looks like more of the same in a good way. I really need to get back to Nioh. Something pushed me away but I can't remember if it was a particularly level, boss or what.

edited May 2019
    Yeah it is definitely more of the same (which is a good thing) with some new systems added on top. The yokai enemies continue to be freaky. Got to the boss in the alpha and it's beating me pretty badly. I can see how to beat it, but I gotta switch out of low stance so I can do some real damage when I get the chance.

Also you create your own character at the start so I don't have to grind out 40k favor to be a lady.
    Qanamil wrote: »
    Looks like more of the same in a good way. I really need to get back to Nioh. Something pushed me away but I can't remember if it was a particularly level, boss or what.

If you're playing on PC I'll be happy to do some jolly cooperation.

Karoz on
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Nioh 2 TGS trailer:

https://youtu.be/hqCYtqZ0we4

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    edited November 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJq7nvv_Z6s

Release date is March 13th, 2020, open beta begins tomorrow for 10 days.

Karoz on
    edited January 2020
    https://youtu.be/WecbPjqclX8

Still no PC announcement. :sad:

Karoz on
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Cyberpunk being delayed means I am gonna be going HARD on this game and I am very excited about that.

I was a little worried I was going to end up rushing it because of Cyberpunk and Doom but with the big one out of the way I can really dive in.

After playing Nioh through a second time on PC, I'm waiting for the PC release on Nioh 2. I'll fill my time with Doom Eternal and my backlog. It'll probably take a year like it did last time but it'll be worth it in the end.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Some Nioh Release notes including DLC plans
    Nioh 2’s post-launch DLC

I’d like to share some exciting details regarding our upcoming DLC and Season Pass plans with you guys.

We have three major DLC releases planned, with each focusing on a different storyline that pre-dates the events of Nioh 2, promising hours of additional gameplay that will provide plenty of challenge for those thirsting for more.

Similar to the original Nioh, players can expect new weapons, new combat abilities and new characters, with each DLC incorporating both multiple main and sub-missions.

The three DLC packs are included in Nioh 2’s Season Pass, which forms part of the game’s Digital Deluxe Edition (now available for pre-order). In addition to the main game and DLC, you’ll also get premium in-game items such as the Demon Horde armor set and Kodama Netsuke Charm.

For players who purchase the Nioh 2 Special Edition, in addition to the main game and Season Pass, you’ll receive an exclusive SteelBook case and “The Art of Nioh 2” booklet.

We have less than 2 months to go until the release of Nioh 2. We can’t wait to share it with you guys! I’ll be back soon, so please stay tuned for more information in the weeks to come. And as always, thank you for your support and enthusiasm samurai!

With nary a whisper about the PC release I'm assuming Sony has put the lid on it until some specified post release date. I think it was 9 months post release we got the announcement for Nioh? I'd expect the same thing here given the current total silence on the subject.

Last Chance Trial this weekend.

Having given both demos a shot, I find Nioh 2 to be unpleasantly complex in its controls, and the addition of "Yokai Zones" an excuse for needlessly frustrating "gotcha!" difficulty. I've mastered many games of this type and I just can't muster any enthusiasm to deal with balancing Stamina, Anima, Stances, Yokai Counters, and Team Ninja's willingness to troll you with unseen enemies and mass quantities of disposable loot.

Disappointing, but I'm sure it'll appeal to some folks.

I will be waiting for it to come to PC but I did enjoy the changes in the first beta.

Yokai zones made for hard areas you could eventually clear instead of portals you could just avoid.

metaghost wrote: »

Having given both demos a shot, I find Nioh 2 to be unpleasantly complex in its controls, and the addition of "Yokai Zones" an excuse for needlessly frustrating "gotcha!" difficulty. I've mastered many games of this type and I just can't muster any enthusiasm to deal with balancing Stamina, Anima, Stances, Yokai Counters, and Team Ninja's willingness to troll you with unseen enemies and mass quantities of disposable loot.

How much more complex than the first Nioh? Are they falling in to that trap where they feel they HAVE to add systems to layer because it's a sequel?

GnomeTank wrote: »
    metaghost wrote: »

How much more complex than the first Nioh? Are they falling in to that trap where they feel they HAVE to add systems to layer because it's a sequel?

On the surface it's not terribly different, but the addition of (Hold) R2 + Face Button for Yokai abilities amidst juggling (Hold R1) + Face Button for Weapon functions is just ever so mentally & physically different from Nioh 1 that I felt like I was fighting myself more often than not. If I cared, there's probably a more natural feeling control scheme, but I'm also just not interested in another round of Diablo Loot progression.

I played the last chance trial today and I see what you mean. For me it's not so much learning the controls, I'd have them as muscle memory eventually....it's is the system going to be engaging and rewarding enough for me to care? It's hard to say. I feel like the full game will probably have a bit more ramp up rather than dumping all these unique abilities to juggle on you at once.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Got 2 pre ordered and have booted up 1 for the first time in like a year to reorient myself, and holy shit have I forgot what the fuck I'm doing.

I may try and blitz a full run through the primary story content just to get my groove back.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    This is maybe a me thing, but I really dislike counters that involve two buttons, especially R2/R1 + whatever on the PS controller. I guess I can fiddle with the controls maybe?

Fun, though, and it's been long enough since the first game that I'm not burned out on it.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I am SO READY.

The question is do I got Dual Swords or regular Sword?

I did a broken as hell Dual Swords build last time.

I like the idea of Single Sword but last time it seemed too built around parrying and I don't do that.

But looking at the skills it seems like I could probably whip something up just build around skill spamming especially with the new stuff mixed in?

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i think i'm gonna roll spear as one of my weapons this time; used it a lot in nioh 1 but not with much depth as i used dual swords mostly

other weapons i dunno

i like odachi, switch glaive seems cool, swords and dual swords are both good

not a huge fan of kusarigama, axe, or tonfas. not digging the throw gimmick on hatchets either. i wish i liked kusari, it's cool as hell and everyone says it's great but i've never been able to really make it work

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I'm planning on an agility based dual swords main with spear and rifle for range and O magic on bosses and the like.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ. I have died way more in this than in Nioh 1. I think I might need to return to the dojo.

. . .and they weren't kidding about systems-on-top-of-systems, it is a little bit overwhelming.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    I really like the yokai counter thing. Did most of the first level before work this morning. I'll always appreciate a good tutorial boss at the starting line.

• DacDac Registered User regular
    Why is Nioh2 shitting its ass on the MAP, of all things.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow