As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo 3DS] Looks like everyone's favorite handheld finally gets to retire.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    smol n3DS is real nice, definitely my favorite 3DS

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    IceBurner wrote: »
    @Stormwatcher What region of system do you need?

I'm in Brazil; I *can* buy an imported smol n3DS (US), but they're pretty expensive. Not really worth the money when I got a big n3DS. But thanks for all the info ;)

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Thinking about everything shown off today...I didn't see ANY 3DS games. I'm wondering if there's another mini direct coming this week or if they've got a lot to show on Treehouse live...

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    Legacy wrote: »
    Thinking about everything shown off today...I didn't see ANY 3DS games. I'm wondering if there's another mini direct coming this week or if they've got a lot to show on Treehouse live...

I think it is also likely that Nintendo just doesn't have anything else in the works for 3DS at this point. What they announced in the last Direct may be the end.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »

I think it is also likely that Nintendo just doesn't have anything else in the works for 3DS at this point. What they announced in the last Direct may be the end.

Given that what little is coming are ports, it's pretty clear 3DS is on its way out.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Given that what little is coming are ports, it's pretty clear 3DS is on its way out.

Nintendo may not be making anything else for it, but there are new titles still coming up.

Not many. But some.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Nintendo may not be making anything else for it, but there are new titles still coming up.

Not many. But some.

Nine, counting Shovel Knight DLC and possible vaporware.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Not many. But some.

Nine, counting Shovel Knight DLC and possible vaporware.

That list is missing a ton of games. Mostly Japan-exclusive, but still. Most importantly, Persona Q2.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well the best RPGS for the system do come out in the twilight of it's life for Nintendo
    Which is a sad tale as I still have to play a few of them before I saw farewell to it

• Options
    PoochPooch Registered User regular
    So I realized recently that my New 3DSXL just does not hold a charge like it used to. I forgot to charge it last night and it had 3/4 battery life, then died after about 20 minutes of playing. Anyone have experience replacing the battery? Is that a send to Nintendo thing, or can I get a replacement online and do it myself?

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Pooch wrote: »
    So I realized recently that my New 3DSXL just does not hold a charge like it used to. I forgot to charge it last night and it had 3/4 battery life, then died after about 20 minutes of playing. Anyone have experience replacing the battery? Is that a send to Nintendo thing, or can I get a replacement online and do it myself?

You can buy a brand new one straight from nintendo: https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?productId=prod10478

Replacing it is as easy as installing an SD card. You have to unscrew the back cover with a regular phillips screwdriver, and the battery is right there.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I really need pick up a spare Wii U Gamepad battery and a spare N3DS battery while I still can. (Plus a new set of styluses, as I had to borrow a stylus from another N3DS since my first one broke.

Unfortunately I missed out on the Wii U extended life battery. It was in my cart and then a week later it was gone. Sigh.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    How is the shelf life on rechargeable batteries? I mean let's say I order a replacement battery now while they're readily available, but don't actually install it until I need it somewhere down the line.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    How is the shelf life on rechargeable batteries? I mean let's say I order a replacement battery now while they're readily available, but don't actually install it until I need it somewhere down the line.

Not great. Lithium batteries degrade at the same rate whether or not you're using them (as long as you're treating them well and not 100% discharging them or letting them stay hot for long periods of time anway). Technically you can discharge them to ~40%, and then freeze them for long term storage. I imagine there will be replacement packs available in the future though, even if they're through 3rd parties. Lithium cells are pretty prolific.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    The two Etrian Odyssey Untold games are on sale for a couple days more and I was wondering which of the two would be a better start for someone that's only tried demos of the games.

• Options
    Owenashi wrote: »
    The two Etrian Odyssey Untold games are on sale for a couple days more and I was wondering which of the two would be a better start for someone that's only tried demos of the games.

Truthfully, I prefer the mechanics of IV or V. Someone who's played EOUII would have to chime in on how that one plays out. EOU is... hmm. The party you get for story mode is mostly serviceable, except for the one new class added for the game (you get Protector, Medic, and Alchemist from the original EO, and Gunner from EOII, which are all fairly straightforward to make use of, though P and M are lacking for damage. The new class though is... complicated, and didn't really have any clear builds jump out and I felt lacking in damage and eventually dropped the game when something else distracted me.)

Also, EOU commits a cardinal sin and reveals the major plot twist of EO like right away.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »

The cheaper one because they're very comparable. If you like it, get more of the games on sale later (they are VERY frequently on sale).

As I posted in the eshop thread, I beat Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D this weekend after getting on a birthday sale YEARS ago. Once you adapt to the very specific way it plays, it's a very fun game along the lines of the two new Raymans and Ori. A little cheaper and more unfair than either of those, but worth getting through.

Also of note in the evergreen area of stupidly long Streetpass games, I recently cleared everything in Warrior's Way finally except for "defeat numerous other real player" achievements because the people I pass with never end up having it. Flower Town is still incrementally hiding the last few flower colors from me. Feed Mii is on the equivalent of Find Mii II and I made it to the final sequence of bosses there. And Mii Trek, I cleared what is apparently the first run of levels because I reached an ending and credits but now they've given me a continuation to the story starting from the first level again.

• Options
    As I posted in the eshop thread, I beat Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D this weekend after getting on a birthday sale YEARS ago. Once you adapt to the very specific way it plays, it's a very fun game along the lines of the two new Raymans and Ori. A little cheaper and more unfair than either of those, but worth getting through.

I finally finished the last two worlds of DK Tropical Freeze a few weeks ago (the Switch release finally prompted me to bother), and yeah, what fun games! I never felt like it was unfair, though obviously they are different games and maybe they refined it a bit in Tropical Freeze.

• Options

I finally finished the last two worlds of DK Tropical Freeze a few weeks ago (the Switch release finally prompted me to bother), and yeah, what fun games! I never felt like it was unfair, though obviously they are different games and maybe they refined it a bit in Tropical Freeze.

I kind of detest the "hit jump before you hit a spring" mechanic in platformers. DKC doubles down on this by making every enemy bounce use the same mechanic. Which means an entire run can be destroyed by it deciding you were a fraction early or late. DKCR takes this to comic heights by having the last orb temple involve a spring to 4 consecutive enemies vertical launch. Obviously, the solution is just git gud but I could probably chalk up about 40% of my deaths to hitting the correct button (roll or jump) and the game deciding... nah, you didn't.

• Options
    MaytagMaytag Registered User regular

I kind of detest the "hit jump before you hit a spring" mechanic in platformers. DKC doubles down on this by making every enemy bounce use the same mechanic. Which means an entire run can be destroyed by it deciding you were a fraction early or late. DKCR takes this to comic heights by having the last orb temple involve a spring to 4 consecutive enemies vertical launch. Obviously, the solution is just git gud but I could probably chalk up about 40% of my deaths to hitting the correct button (roll or jump) and the game deciding... nah, you didn't.

You can just start holding jump again during any part of your jump if I recall correctly, it's not timing-based at all.

3DS: 1392 - 5070 - 7853
  • Options
    Maytag wrote: »

You can just start holding jump again during any part of your jump if I recall correctly, it's not timing-based at all.

I'll definitely give that a shot but I don't think it's the case?

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Maytag wrote: »

I'll definitely give that a shot but I don't think it's the case?

I was surprised to find out it was the case. Made things a lot easier.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Maybe I'm not understanding the technique you're meaning properly? If you hold jump after a jump with Diddy, you'll jetpack. If you land on an enemy after that, you don't high bounce. Does this only work with DK alone?

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    After jumping/bouncing, let go of the jump button then press and hold it again. Doesn't matter when you press it again as long as you let go before, seems to work pretty consistently.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
  • Options
    After jumping/bouncing, let go of the jump button then press and hold it again. Doesn't matter when you press it again as long as you let go before, seems to work pretty consistently.

After some extra testing, I need to point out that having Diddy makes this not work at all. A decent player probably has Diddy at least 80% of the time. It's not a workable solution. It also doesn't seem to work correctly on springs.

Interesting note, I was aware that the Wii version had waggle rolling (that sounds fucking awful), but I just found out that the 3DS version added a whole final WORLD behind the banana temple collection thing. Apparently in the Wii version, it was just that last (pretty annoying and unfun imo) level.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    WarioWare Gold voice acting comparison in 5 languages

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxSdF7LH_aU

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    It took a Facebook advert to alert me that the best of WarioWare game was out, and 6 pages of forum diving to find this thread.

What is the world coming to?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    It took a Facebook advert to alert me that the best of WarioWare game was out, and 6 pages of forum diving to find this thread.

The e-Shop is telling me that it's available for pre-purchase, with the actual release being 8/3. Evidently the EU/Australia region is a week ahead of the rest of the world.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »

The e-Shop is telling me that it's available for pre-purchase, with the actual release being 8/3. Evidently the EU/Australia region is a week ahead of the rest of the world.

There's also a demo available on the eShop.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    For me, Metroid: Samus Returns was my 3DS swan song. I imagine that was the case for a lot of people as well.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Probably true. I personally still have a lot of stuff that I want to get in the future for the 3DS and even quite a few for the good old regular DS as well, so I'm sure between it and the switch I won't need another console for a long time.

On a side note, did anyone pick up one of those free games from my nintendo using the gold points? I got Severed and it's pretty interesting so far. I didn't know it was in the style of those old dungeon crawler PC games. Pretty cool. Also using the stylus a lot for this game takes me back to the early days of the DS when a lot of games used it. Any more developers have seemed to go back to standard control schemes.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    My 3DS still has several years of active life ahead. It's not like I beat every single game as soon as it's out.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Not only that, but I've been going back and replaying some games rather than buying new ones. As I get older, especially with the way games are going these days, I could see myself buying less and less and replaying more.

• Options
    Yeah, I just beat Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D this year and I'm actively playing the 6th Phoenix Wright game. After that, I have the third Zero Escape and Metroid Returns. I honestly have zero need for a Switch, the 3DS is a beast in terms of games I like.

• Options
    I really had no need for the switch either. I managed to hold out about a year, but I'm weak. Now between the 3ds and switch I'm literally good gaming wise for years.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I need to pick up Samus Returns.

Especially with my kids 2DS consoles we've got years of life left. Playing multiplayer and passing cartridges around has been fantastic!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    anoffday wrote: »
    I really had no need for the switch either. I managed to hold out about a year, but I'm weak. Now between the 3ds and switch I'm literally good gaming wise for years.

Yeah, between stuff on the switch I already have, warframe, and dips into XIV... yeesh. There aren't enough hours in the day.

• Options
    I just added two more titles to my 3ds library. I've been really cleaning out my library from all of my systems and trading in games that I know I will never get to or don't have any interest in. I used to collect a lot of stuff because at the time it was cheap; either on sale or clearance. Recently I've been passing on those kinds of deals and focusing on quality over quantity. I've decided I'd rather have a smaller library of quality games, rather than a large library of decent games, so so games, etc. And I really don't have the time to game like I used to, so when I have time I only want to play the best of the best.

Anyway traded some random stuff in today and used the credit to pick up super mario 3d land and link between worlds.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Man, I'm still playing DS and GBA games. I'm good.