As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Signed Out, But Only in Debate and Discourse?

ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster ApocalypseThe Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
This happened once before some time last week but cleared up when I refreshed the page so I didn't really pay it any mind, but I am currently signed into the forums (obviously), but not if I go to Debate and Discourse. There I am signed out and I can jump around to different parts of the forum and be signed in fine, but if I go back to D&D I'm not.

Currently updated Chrome (Version 67.0.3396.99) on desktop. I don't know what else would be useful info.

Allegedly a voice of reason.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Appears to be working fine again after posting here.

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    Same problem, also running chrome.

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    Also, posting once here seems to have fixed it.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Saw this same issue here on chrome mobile. Logged in, went to check a notification and had no issues, then went to d&d and got the prompt. Went back to the home page, was logged in. So it seems only d&d. I do not know if this will fix itself by making this post.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Just had this happen again - this time with Debate and Discourse and the root forums. I clicked around a few times, using the breadcrumbs to go to SE++, D&D, the Circus, and the root, and it just kept popping in and out of logged in status.

However, when I went to turn on my developer console to track the network traffic, the problem fixed itself. I had turned on "preserve log" and "Disable cache" so that might have something to do with it.

I should also note that after I posted that last message 3 days ago, I didn't see the issue again until just now, on my laptop as opposed to my android phone.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    just got this momentarily in chrome on my macbook pro

edit: posting here fixed it

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    happening to me with SE++, will see if posting elsewhere resolves it

edit: yep

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    This is again happening to me, but only in D&D.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    This feels like a caching issue, generally. Disabled cache/cookie settings would mess with your logged in status so I would individually take note of your settings and see if anything might conflict.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    FWIW, it happened on my phone too. Refreshing the page fixed it.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    happening on my phone right now (iphone, chrome)

i don’t even know how to disable cache/cookies on my phone

• Options
    edited July 2018
    also did not clear up after posting

e: did however after refresh on the D&D page

Chanus on
  • Options
    Navigating your cookie settings is relatively easy to find instructions for, in Android Chrome its under site settings.

• Options
    oh, i meant more that i didn't know how so i presumably wouldn't have disabled them, so i would assume that's not why i'm having the issue

or am i misunderstanding and disabling is actually a suggested fix?

• Options
    They need to be enabled, but not changing them consciously might not mean that some pop-up, or update didn't adjust them. I would take the time to take a look at your settings if you haven't, particularly since I probably cant troubleshoot further until that due diligence is done.

We need cookies to log you in and intermittent log outs aren't unheard of, but when they are server side they are usually wide spread and not easily/predictably undone by refreshing or posting.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I don't have my cookies or cache settings changed and this happens irregularly (maybe once every 7-14 days). It's not just D&D it's randomly across the site. Logging in will fix it for several days. It's almost as if there's a node or something out of sync with the rest of the site. But I don't know how vanilla has their infrastructure set up and I'm not too familiar with nginx/cloudflare.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    cookies and cached images and files are allowed on my iphone/chrome, which is where i tend to experience the issue

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm signed out in SE++ only. happened to me a few days ago on my Android phone, now also on my laptop, both in Chrome

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I'm signed out in SE++ only. happened to me a few days ago on my Android phone, now also on my laptop, both in Chrome

Same thing!

Which is kinda a issue when it is where I mainly post!!

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Please verify if this is still happening as of right now.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    So far so good now

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Same thing just happened to me in the MMO subforum.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Just got it again in Social Entropy

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Happening to me right now, but only in Games and Technology.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Experiencing this right now in D&D on desktop/Chrome (current version).

e: leaving D&D and coming back didn't fix, posting didn't fix, F5 in D&D did fix

Chanus on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Happening to me in G&T, posting here mostly to try the magical "post about it in the bug report thread and it's fixed" fix

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    This is happening in Help & Advice. I try to sign in and it doesn't do so (no error message). I appear to be signed in for all other On Topic, Chat, and Creative forums.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I am now getting this in Social Entropy.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Help & Advice is now working. The previous errors seemed to last for about 30 minutes or so.

• Options
    got one a few seconds ago, refresh and changing subforums wouldn't fix it, I had to log in

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Holding shift while clicking refresh fixed it for me in Chrome on PC, that's the shortcut to tell Chrome you really seriously want to refresh and not pull anything at all from cache. I don't know if Chrome mobile has the same feature or not.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I just got this in the MMO Subforum but was able to get it to stop with CTRL+F5.

Edit - Mozilla for Windows.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Just to note, this is still on our radar and being looked into.

• Options
    yo, we deployed some shit for this so hit me up if it happens after this post.

• Options
    happened to me sometime tonight, I was logged out after I came back from dinner