As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Twilight Imperium 4e - Game 4: Round 7 - Action Phase / Game End

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Round 7 - Battle at Quann

Combat Round 1

Creuss has Flagship "Hil Colish", 2 Dreadnoughts, 1 Carrier II, and 5 Fighter IIs (holding 1 Infantry).
    Letnev has 1 Dreadnought II.

At the start of the first round of combat, Letnev declares a retreat, loading 1 Infantry from Quann.

Geth roll 1d10t5+2d10t5+1d10t9+5d10t8 for Creuss
    Geth roll 1d10t5 for Letnev

Creuss:
    1d10t5+2d10t5+1d10t9+5d10t8 2 [1d10t5=8] [2d10t5=4, 2] [1d10t9=6] [5d10t8=4, 2, 9, 1, 6]
    Letnev:
    1d10t5 0 [1d10t5=3]

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Creuss scores 2 hits, damaging the Letnev Dreadnought II. A command counter is placed from Letnev's reinforcements into the Wellon system and Letnev retreats the Dreadnought and Infantry.
    Combat is resolved in favor of Creuss.

What's next, @MrBody?

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Claim- Unveil Flagship (Action Phase, 1 VP): Win a Space Combat in a system that contains your Flagship. You cannot score this objective if your Flagship is destroyed in the combat.

Invade Quaan with 1 infantry

• Options
    I meant to do that last round :(

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Important note for the table: Creuss wins on his next turn by playing Imperial and claiming the 3 unit upgrade public objective.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    Important note for the table: Creuss wins on his next turn by playing Imperial and claiming the 3 unit upgrade public objective.

I don't think anyone can stop that. This is exactly why I said earlier that Imperial shouldn't be allowed to pass to me, allowing MrB to take it for himself.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Someone would have to go through his flagship to attack his base, or through his guarded wormhole.
    I had nothing, otherwise I may have researched lightwave deflectors last round.

• Options
    In any case, Hedgethorn should have attempted to take Imperial so that Mojo_Jojo was forced to take it.
    Not that I hadn't lost a full round ago.

• Options
    MrBody wrote: »
    I meant to do that last round :(

(This way is better)

• Options
    I was terrified that N'orr or someone else was going to jump my flagship their first turn and prevent me from doing that. Even with a skilled retreat, it would have been locked in place and unable to move.

• Options
    Well, there's still time for that to happen.

• Options
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Pass[/]

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Unstable Planet
    Action: Choose 1 hazardous planet. Exhaust that planet and destroy up to 3 infantry on it.

Choose Abyz.

Ketar on
  • Options
    No second action. @Preda doesn't have a sabotage, I believe. So @Hedgethorn is up.

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    I could just pass, but might as well not be completely lame and roll some dice on my last turn.

Activate Quann. Move in 2 dreadnoughts, 2 cruisers, 2 fighters and 1 infanty from Mecatol Rex and Arnor/Lor.

@MrBody for any reaction. Then @MrBlarney to roll combat. My 2 cruisers will get an ambush roll.

• Options
    Let's not risk you scoring "blow up a flagship" SO.

Skilled Retreat
    At the start of a combat round: Move all of your ships from the active system into an adjacent system that does not contain another player's ships; the space combat ends in a draw. Then, place a Command token from your reinforcements in that system.

Retreat to the nebula.

• Options
    You're no fun.

• Options
    For the record: my taking out the Naalu home system had two purposes. One was ensuring that if we made it to the end of the round, I would be able to score 10 first. The second was that taking out their ships and infantry at Lodor would actually eliminate them from the game. Which would make their Support for the Throne disappear, and drop Mentak back to 8 VP, making it effectively impossible for them to win during the round.

Well-played, MrBody. But it would have been slightly better played if you had taken Lodor instead of Quann and ensured that Hedgethorn couldn't beat you before you play Imperial.

• Options
    PredaPreda Registered User regular
    There is also the lonely fighter in Old Darien...

• Options
    Preda wrote: »
    There is also the lonely fighter in Old Darien...

Irrelevant.

31.1 A player is eliminated when he meets all of the following three conditions:
    • The player has no ground forces on the game board.
    • The player has no unit that has “Production.”
    • The player does not control any planets.

• Options
    I believe, based on the timing rules, that Mentak still gets their Ambush rolls regardless of if the Skilled Retreat card goes through. So let's roll that first.

Geth roll 2d10t6 for Mentak Ambush

Mentak Ambush:
    2d10t6 1 [2d10t6=2, 10]

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    That's one hit to allocate, @MrBody. Sabotage calls on the Skilled Retreat for everyone else.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Blow up a fighter then

• Options
    Ketar wrote: »
    Well-played, MrBody. But it would have been slightly better played if you had taken Lodor instead of Quann and ensured that Hedgethorn couldn't beat you before you play Imperial.

Naalu can preemptively retreat by spending a strategic token. Does that not count as a tie like skilled retreat?

• Options
    Anyone want to sell a sabotage, just to make the endgame slightly interesting? @Ketar @Mojo_Jojo @discrider @Preda

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Nope

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    That would be an arbitrary kingmaking deal for one player or the other. Not sure how interesting that would make things.

• Options
    MrBody wrote: »
    That would be an arbitrary kingmaking deal for one player or the other. Not sure how interesting that would make things.

It would put it down to the battle results rather than simply kingmaking. Still wouldn't do it even if I had a sabotage.

• Options
    Fair enough, it was worth a try.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    @Preda's turn.. Guess not.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I want Bereg - Lirta IV.
    Sabotage the Skilled Retreat
    @MrBody @MrBlarney

(Namely this would be the time for a second Skilled Retreat if you have one MrBody)

discrider on
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Actually, @Hedgethorn , you could give us your Support for the throne if that flagship gets away from you.
    We look forward to formalising the treaty with our long-time best privateers.
    Happy hunting.

discrider on
  • Options
    Combat's back on, I guess.

Play Morale Boost
    At the start of a combat round: Apply +1 to the result of each of your units' combat rolls during this combat round.

@MrBody for sabotage

• Options
    I have to admit, I don't really understand why discrider would sabotage the Skilled Retreat aside from chaos and perhaps preferring a chance at Mentak winning to Creuss.

Mentak getting to have this battle and winning it would mean the game would end immediately afterward when he reveals his SO, right?

Unless Mentak doesn't have that SO and discrider does, and so is pulling for a weakened fleet to hit afterward (with my flagship as a secondary option)?

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Well, let's provide justification after the fact, and lay out the terms of this combat:

MrBody runs away - I win
    MrBody wins the combat - MrBody wins (presumably)
    Hedgethorn wins the combat - Hedgethorn wins (presumably)

So you see, it really is in MrBody's best interest to stick around.

discrider on
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    https://youtu.be/bSHyDzfzOWI
    :|
    (Further post-fact justification leads us to conclude that we are really excited about putting together the terms of our surrender, and not that I either did not remember or had a sanitised version of the lyrics from Guitar Hero)

discrider on
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    This makes zero sense, and there is no scenario where not retreating is beneficial to me, but whatever. Mentak can win with "Destroy their Greatest Ship" or "Make an Example of their World" if he wins this space combat. The only way it makes sense for Winnu to pull it is having "Destroy their Greatest Ship" and gambling on Mentak losing and swooping in on my weakened Flagship...that's a crazy risk.

Most likely it's a spite move :(

no sabotage for Morale Boost

I'd say no one would want to sabotage this, but as long as we're throwing out 3rd party spite sabotage, I'd welcome it. Who has a grudge against Mentak?

MrBody on
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    And wait, hold on. I totally forgot about those wormholes.

Declare retreat to Vefut II

MrBody on