As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] Previews galore!

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    I really like that this game will be an opportunity to get my Ork fix without starting another army.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    They could allow 0-1 terminators or something for Grey Knights

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    They could allow 0-1 terminators or something for Grey Knights

I figure GK will get Termis but they also get psykers probably which look rare so far in the Kill Team builds. I hope those tactical marines can use stuff like Sternguard/Vanguard vets as those are what I think of as kill teams.

I am thinking Chaos after this will be:
    1)Cultist
    2)CSM
    3)Raptor
    4)Possessed? Maybe.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Hmm I am tempted to get some reivers and paint them up as deathwatch

• LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    The Grey Knight and Thousand Sons are the last two factions to get articles so we won't see how psychic powers work for another couple weeks, but yea I'm hoping that's interesting as well.

I wonder if it will be just rangers with the eldar

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I wonder if it will be just rangers with the eldar

I doubt it, the Q and A made it sound like Rangers were only included grudgingly - they want the focus to be on plastic kits that can be easily converted. I'd guess that Dire Avengers and Guardians are going to be options at the least.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Does the kill team stuff mean they aren't going to do Space Wolves this month?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • LindLind Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Is there any sort of release date for this? (Kill Team)

Lind on
    Stragint wrote: »
    Does the kill team stuff mean they aren't going to do Space Wolves this month?
    Lind wrote: »

I feel Kill team is after they do the role call of all the armies shown

I feel the Space Wolves is after

Lind wrote: »

Pre-order is the 21st.

u7stthr17eud.png
    It's Orks this week, right? So Orks the 14th, Kill Team the 21st and then it stands to reason Space Wolves on the 28th.

After that it's random stuff like Genestealers and Inquisition, Assassins, Sisters of Silence, etc. We know Genestealers will get a codex, and I'm hoping the rest just get put together into an "Imperial Agents" book again.

Lanlaorn wrote: »
    It's Orks this week, right?

Noooope. Orks have gotten pretty shafted on the Codex front.

Well, at least the codices seem to, for the most part, have better written (read: stronger, lol) traits/strategems/relics as time progressed. So when they do get around to the Orks they should have a monster book.

I'm quite content waiting until next year for the Sister's codex largely because I'm confident it'll result it in a great codex.

Rest of this month is kill team reveals (10 days) then a pre-order on the 21st release on the 28th.

Now I am not sure they are going to drop any major codexes this month especially since they dropped AoS 2.0. I can see next week being an AoS drop. And then maybe wolves or orks in August but I think it will be more like September after NoVA.

u7stthr17eud.png
    edited July 2018
    And Ork kill teams get Boyz/commando/Burna boy/lootas/Gretchin

I'm ok with this

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    That reference to the Gretchin Revolutionary Committee in today's faction focus has to be a subtle hint that a Gorkamorka re-release is coming, right? Right?

Burnage wrote: »
    That reference to the Gretchin Revolutionary Committee in today's faction focus has to be a subtle hint that a Gorkamorka re-release is coming, right? Right?

Actually I think they announced it was coming like back in March at whatever tourney that was.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Can Space Wolves use an Imperial Knight?

Like Knights specific to the Space Wolves.

Not really. But throwing in a S. Heavy Aux. Detachment with a Freeblade and appropriately chosen Qualities and Burdens is totally possible. And there’s nothing stopping you painting him blue-grey either.

Cool, I'll need to see which knights would be fun to use. So many different options and I know basically nothing about them.

Basically, the Questoris Pattern knights have a datasheet for each of the main guns (las-impulsor, rapid-fire battle cannon, thermal cannon, Avenger Gatling Cannon), one for no guns, and one for two guns.
    Each of the ones with a single gun can have either kind of close combat weapon, and all of them can take a carapace weapon.
    Gun wise, the battle cannon, thermal cannon and avenger cannon are your standard mix of anti-infantry, anti-tank, and jack of all trades. The las-impulsor is kinda weird, going for tactical flexibility with its two profiles over the raw power of the other three.

To complement a space wolf force, I’d say either a Warden (with the Gatling cannon) to fill the “reliable volume of fire” niche that the wolves are kinda bad at, or a Crusader (two big guns) to provide fire support for a more assault oriented force.

Can I turn the Imperial Knight in the The Imperial Knights: Renegade box into a Crusader or a Warden or is that only come with the kit for a specific Knight? I was thinking of splitting that with a friend since I have a friend who wants a Renegade Knight for his Death Guard.

You can make one of them into a Warden or Crusader; however, due to there only being one of the required sprue between the two hulls, the other would end up as either a Paladin, an Errant, or a Gallant. You also only get two carapace weapons (the Icarus Autocannon and a missile pod which can be either the Stormspear or Ironstorm type) and one Thunderfist.
    The thunderfist limitation means the Gallant is only an option if you make the other a Crusader, or just give your Warden a chainblade.

Edit: beaten, dangit!

I've gotten so little 7th/8th playtime in, and the only knight I've ever played against was Keenbean's (and was that in 6th?) so I'm in a little over my head here.

I've got the Renegade box, and I'm going to make a Crusader and a Gallant out of it, because I think those are coolest. I've got 4 armigers (2 of each type). I want to include a Warhound titan too. What is the best way to make a legal list out of all of these, and what more do I need to include?

Isn't the Warhound like 4000 points or something? I think they priced all the titans into the "only for Apocalypse" range.

Otherwise just take your two knights and 4 armigers and that's a legal army with +6 command points (9 total) right there.

Depending on how many points that is you can take a third detachment of something else, the by far most competitive choice is 180 points of Guardsmen, gives 30 objective secured bodies to take up space with, another +5 command points and some ludicrous command point regeneration stuff just in case. They're also quite good at actually fighting, point for point, also, so yea.

I went to my LGS with my friends to build and paint since the LGS has a section of their store setup for that. As we walked through the room with the gaming tables we saw a 40k tournament happening and every single table had Imperial Knights on it.

Kind of crazy.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Thanks for the explanations. I think this stuff won't pour out of my head so fast if I start playing more regularly again, but all this 'detachment this, battalion that, FAQ there, errata here' is killing me.
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    Isn't the Warhound like 4000 points or something? I think they priced all the titans into the "only for Apocalypse" range.
    WarHOUND, not WarLORD. :biggrin: Which seems hilariously undergunned these days when compared to the Castellan, or FW's Porphyrion. :lol: But it was my first big model and I love it so, and want to put it on the table more often.

• OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    Warhound is still 2000pts last I looked. Think it was around 1500 but got bumped up in points around end of last year.

Dang - I'm going to have to look up my 4th edition, 13-model Apocalypse list, which was Warhound, Baneblade, Stormblade, Inquisitor, Retinue, and Rhino. It was either 1,500 or 3,000 points on the nose.

Yea I just checked, Warhound 2000 points, Reaver 4000 points, Warlord 6000 points.

I think they're subtly trying to hint that these aren't meant to be taken to normal games lol, just narrative and apocalypse stuff.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    The Warhound being 2000 points is kinda strange, considering 2000 points worth of regular Knights would get significantly more work done and would be cheaper price-wise (and made of plastic).

Warhounds are naturally better for apoc games though, if you were bringing it to a regular 2k game you'd basically just massively overkill one or two units a turn and you'd end up losing against most armies. It's better used for attacking other titans where doing double digit numbers of wounds every turn is more useful.

I figured that's how it would play out, bit didn't realize there'd be that much of a points cost to it, althougj I should've because I'm pretty sure I called my aforementioned 4th ed list '13 models@3K.' I can still have my knights and armigers, the warhound will just wait for big games.

edited July 2018
    I wish they would have shared more with the Adeptus Astartes entry. I'm guessing Space Wolves get Grey Hunters and Wolf Scouts over Tactical Marines and Scouts but I want to know for sure.

Edit: Is an Ice Cannon and actual weapon? The person I'm ordering my Space Wolves upgrades from has an upgrade called the Ice Cannon and I have no idea if that is real. I would just run it as a Helfrost Destructor if the points are comparable to the Thermal Cannon and if not just run it as a Thermal Cannon. I mostly just want it because it has Space Wolves glyphs on it and it looks cool.

Stragint on

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Third party bitz will never have “official” rules and I’m pretty sure there’s no helfrost weapon on the scale of the thermal cannon yet.
    I’d just stick to the thermal cannon rules, myself.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    Third party bitz will never have “official” rules and I’m pretty sure there’s no helfrost weapon on the scale of the thermal cannon yet.
    I’d just stick to the thermal cannon rules, myself.

I figured an ice cannon wasn't a thing but I have no idea what knights and titans use so I wasn't sure.

I don't know why but I thought the helfrost destructor was comparable but even using the focused beam it had way less range, half the shots, and 1 less strength. I'll definitely run it as a thermal cannon.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    TBH the helfrost destructor is probably going to get a significant buff in the codex, much like the Necron doomsday cannon did; compare it with the next weapon down on the Stormwolf (the twin helfrost cannon) there’s no reason to take the big version - half transport cap for less shots? No way.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    TBH the helfrost destructor is probably going to get a significant buff in the codex, much like the Necron doomsday cannon did; compare it with the next weapon down on the Stormwolf (the twin helfrost cannon) there’s no reason to take the big version - half transport cap for less shots? No way.

Maybe, but then again, the Monolith still exists. And it's great.....!!

:(.

Anyways, speaking of Necrons, does anyone have a good 1k point list? I keep falling back to Destroyer spam and am trying to find other versions.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Hmmm, looks like my shotgun veterans might not be eligible for kill team.

The astra militarum kill team focus makes it sound like you'll be able to field more models than other armies, but they only field guard, special weapons gunners and scions.

I'm surprised at the lack of a commissar

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    The general rules for what units are allowed (at least at launch) seems to be:

1.) Only plastic kits (with a few exceptions such as Kommandos, and Eldar Rangers)
    2.) No big heavy units (no dreadnoughts, no terminator armor, no mega armored nobs)
    3.) No flyers (no jump packs, no assault marines)
    4.) No characters

I'm guessing #3 will be the first to broken (ignoring the noted exceptions), and I'm guessing it'll be Tau that does it with their Stealth Suits.

Curious to see how death guard play out

Not a lot of non character infantry.

Marines/cultists/poxwalkers/termies

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    They'll be absolutly fine with the sheer amount of wargear on the plaguemarines alone.

website_header.jpg
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Death Guard seem fine, I think. Stuff like Grey Knights and drukhari seems more limited.

Dark Eldar have a ton of plastic kits, they're going to be fine. Even with just Kabalites and Wyches they'll have at least nine different weapon options to choose from.

What's this?
    It looks like plastic imperial guard!
    v9swoz5ypd5r.png