As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mobile site not loading

MysstMysst King Monkeyof Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
The mobile site won't load for me after the forum update. Cleared the cache and all that just in case, not sure where to go from here if it's my end. I'm on a galaxy tab a, android v. 7, chrome 61.0.3396. 87

ikbUJdU.jpg

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Same thing here - it just loads the desktop version. (There's also some funky stuff going on where the font sizes in posts increase when you touch them, but that might be unrelated.)

Galaxy Tab S2, Android 7.0, Samsung Internet 7.2.10.33.

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Neither is mine (Android). Deleted settings for the site, deleted all settings in Chrome, even reinstalled Chrome. Nothing. Tried Opera Mini and the same thing, only shows desktop site. Makes me think it's a phone setting, but not sure where to look.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Seeing this in Chrome on Android. Cleared the cache, didn't work. Cleared all data and still didn't work.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Also having this issue on Chrome for Android on my Pixel 2.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Same, only getting desktop version of site after latest (8.1.0 July 5th patch) system update for Pixel 2. Chrome 67.0.3396.87 on Android. Clearing browser cache and toggling "desktop site" on and back off have no effect.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'm not able to reproduce this one unfortunately. Vanilla are trying to figure it out.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Mine works on Chrome on an iPhone, if that helps (all the broken examples seem to be Android so far).

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I cant replicate this at all. Looking at the desktop version is an account level preference. Does navigating to: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/profile/nomobile/1 not fix it?

• Options
    Iruka wrote: »
    I cant replicate this at all. Looking at the desktop version is an account level preference. Does navigating to: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/profile/nomobile/1 not fix it?

That page just gets me a "Something has gone wrong" error page on both my tablet and my computer.
    Re: accounts: If I try using Chrome (which I'm not logged in to, and I don't believe I ever have), I still just get the desktop site.

Visiting PA on my phone (Nexus 4, Android 7.1.2, Chrome 67.0.3396.87) gets me the mobile site, and logging in does not take me to the desktop site. Refreshing the forums on my tablet has me still on the desktop site.

Also, I don't know if it's related but for some reason the page doesn't go all the way to the right like it does on an actual desktop. 77px, I think.
    50% size image, still 1000px wide:
    vTirN1w.png
    For whatever reason, most of the page respects that new boundary but the header doesn't (despite its background also cutting off).

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Apparently pulling the link doesn't work, you need to actually click it
    79hwa9dwsjc0.jpg

Zoom way the fuck in on the vanilla logo and click this link.

Iruka on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    There's no link there for me.

57agtd38ytmt.jpg

This is on Chrome version: 67.0.3396.87
    Android: 8.1.0, July 5 2018 patch

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    No link for me either. It's pretty much exactly like Kakodaimonos'. Clicking where it would be doesn't do anything either.

Galaxy Tab S2, Android 7.0, Samsung Internet 7.2.10.33.

• Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    This is happening to me as well, pretty much as described above. Pixel 2, Android 8.1.0, Chrome 67.0.3396.87

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Same, no "Back to mobile" link beneath Vanilla logo. The "nomobile/1" link above just gives "something has gone wrong".

SiliconStew on
  • Options
    Yeah the link will only work if you click on it where its supposed to be on the page.

To note, For tablets we generally serve the desktop version. Thats always been the case for ipads, as far as I'm aware. I'm only on 8.0 with my galaxy phone, so some update in 8.1 / on the pixels might have messed with how we see them as devices. I'll look into this more tomorrow.

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Sounds like a Pixel 2 thing? That's what I have. Looks like a few other people too.

Edit: I don't necessarily hate the desktop version on my phone. Threads are even probably a little easier to read. But navigating the forums is annoying.

a nu start on
    Number One Tricky
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Can confirm this started to happen directly after I ran the latest OS update on my pixel 2

• Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Can confirm this started to happen directly after I ran the latest OS update on my pixel 2

Now that I think about it that is probably the same timeline that happened to me. I'm pretty sure my phone ran an update right before this started happening.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Yeah, this just started happening to me as well after updating my Pixel 2 this morning

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    This is filed with the devs. curious, does https://open.vanillaforums.com/ load a mobile site for you, or is it the desktop version.

• Options
    Looks like desktop.

• Options
    Desktop for me.

• Options
    That actually gets me mobile. Weird.

• Options
    Desktop.

Steam
  • Options
    OptimusOptimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Regarding the issue "Mobile Site not loading", can anyone please verify if on your Android device you have the cookie "'X-UA-Device-Force" (this cookie keeps track of your viewing status Mobile/Desktop), and if its somehow blocked, the link "back to mobile site" wouldn't display.
    To do so, you can follow the below steps:
    • On your Android device, Install an application "Droid Web Inspector".
    • Using the App, sign in to the forum.
    • In the Apps Console, type "document.cookie" and look for 'X-UA-Device-Force'. As in the below screen-shots

6633w6ts4rds.png

imf1dwcm4sdi.png

Optimus on
  • Options
    No, X-UA-Device-Force is not in the site cookies on my Pixel 2.

For reference, my user agent is "Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 8.1.0; Pixel 2 Build/OPM2.171026.006.G1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/67.0.3396.87 Mobile Safari/537.36".

• Options
    I can't find X-UA-Device-Force either. The cookies I do get are...
    _utma
    _utmc
    _utmz
    _utmt
    _vf_pennyarcade_PMC42-Vv
    _vnf
    _utmb
    _vf_pennyarcade_PMC42-Vv

The two vf_pennyarcade_PMC42-Vv cookies have different values, most of the others have complex (alpha)numeric values, and _utmt=1.

• Options
    @Neveron @SiliconStew thank you.
    To further investigate this, can you please copy paste your user agent. (we use the user agent information to determine your browser, what device you are using).

To get your user agent, you can use this link whatsmyua.info

Ex. my user agent is : Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.13; rv:61.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/61.0

• Options
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 7.0; SAMSUNG SM-T819 Build/NRD90M) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) SamsungBrowser/7.2 Chrome/59.0.3071.125 Safari/537.36

• Options
    @Neveron it looks like you are using a Samsung Tablet? (the site should display as a Desktop in that case).
    as for the user agent posted by @SiliconStew, we will be looking into it. I'll post any updates here.

Thank you.

• Options
    I forced the same user agent on my end as @SiliconStew to debug this issue, I was able to switch from desktop to mobile and vice versa.
    So its not a user agent thing that we are not identifying, its the missing cookie.
    @SiliconStew Do you have any application on your device that might block/delete that cookie "X-UA-Device-Force"?

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Optimus wrote: »
    I forced the same user agent on my end as SiliconStew to debug this issue, I was able to switch from desktop to mobile and vice versa.
    So its not a user agent thing that we are not identifying, its the missing cookie.
    SiliconStew Do you have any application on your device that might block/delete that cookie "X-UA-Device-Force"?

It looks like a user-agent problem to me. Testing with my desktop browser, using Chrome and changing the user agent to the Dev Tools built-in "Chrome - Android Mobile" UA (or any of the other Android Mobile UAs), I can view the mobile site just fine. If I set the UA to Custom and use that UA string from my phone that I posted above, I get the desktop version of the site.

If I use my UA and change this section "OPM2.171026.006.G1" to "OPM2.171026.006.1", just removing that "G" in the build tag, I get the mobile version of the site. Looks like a regex isn't parsing something correctly to me.

SiliconStew on
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I got the same thing as Silicon Stew and Neveron for my cookies.

My UA info is

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 8.1.0; Pixel 2 Build/OPM2.171026.006.G1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/67.0.3396.87 Mobile Safari/537.36

So It Goes on
  • Options
    I forced the same user agent on my end as SiliconStew to debug this issue, I was able to switch from desktop to mobile and vice versa.
    SiliconStew Do you have any application on your device that might block/delete that cookie "X-UA-Device-Force"?

It looks like a user-agent problem to me. Testing with my desktop browser, using Chrome and changing the user agent to the Dev Tools built-in "Chrome - Android Mobile" UA (or any of the other Android Mobile UAs), I can view the mobile site just fine. If I set the UA to Custom and use that UA string from my phone that I posted above, I get the desktop version of the site.

If I use my UA and change this section "OPM2.171026.006.G1" to "OPM2.171026.006.1", just removing that "G" in the build tag, I get the mobile version of the site. Looks like a regex isn't parsing something correctly to me.

We are looking for (Android & Mobile) in the user agent, As I have already mentioned, using your user agent, a mobile device is detected successfully.
    // Match mobile androids
            if (strpos($userAgent, 'android') !== false && strpos($userAgent, 'mobile') !== false) {
                return $type = 'mobile';
            }

Try this: In your chrome browser, go to settings/site settings/cookies. Is Allow third-party cookie enabled/disabled?

• Options

We are looking for (Android & Mobile) in the user agent, As I have already mentioned, using your user agent, a mobile device is detected successfully.
    // Match mobile androids
            if (strpos($userAgent, 'android') !== false && strpos($userAgent, 'mobile') !== false) {
                return $type = 'mobile';
            }

Try this: In your chrome browser, go to settings/site settings/cookies. Is Allow third-party cookie enabled/disabled?

Yes, third party cookies are allowed. I get all the other cookies the site is setting.

I don't know why you are seeing different results with my user agent. Test results are consistent(ly broken) on different machines and on different ISPs. Are you sure you are copying the UA exactly as listed in my post? What I can tell you is this problem immediately occurred after an Android update so the build number would have changed. And if I do nothing but alter the build number in the UA string, I get the mobile site just fine.

For example, using the actual Pixel 2 build numbers at https://source.android.com/setup/start/build-numbers

Starting with my current UA of: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 8.1.0; Pixel 2 Build/OPM2.171026.006.G1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/67.0.3396.87 Mobile Safari/537.36

changing only the build number in that string to:
    OPM1.171019.021 works
    OPM2.171019.029 works
    OPM4.171019.015.A1 works
    OPM4.171019.016.B1 works
    OPM2.171026.006.C1 works
    OPM4.171019.021.E1 works
    OPM2.171026.006.G1 broken <- current build
    OPM4.171019.021.Q1 works

Looks to me like there has to be additional code you didn't include that is altering the $userAgent variable because strpos() is case sensitive, so 'android' or 'mobile' wouldn't match what's in the real UA string.

• Options
    $userAgent = strtolower(val('HTTP_USER_AGENT', $_SERVER));

• Options
    @SiliconStew Thanks, I had a developer go through your posts and he was able to replicate the issue under particular circumstances. Its still going to take a moment to get to exact root cause, but we are working on it. Appreciate all the details, I'll keep you guys posted.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    This seems fixed for me now, when it had only started for me a few days ago. Also using an android, galaxy s7, chrome, and recently had a system update that might've caused it.

• Options
    Still not working for me. I've been using the Firefox Focus browser as a work around.

• Options
    Still not better on my Pixel 2.

Steam