As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] Previews galore!

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Plastic Steel Legion? Don't tease me.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    What's this?
    It looks like plastic imperial guard!
    v9swoz5ypd5r.png

Those are all conversions from existing plastic kits. They were also all in the AM codex.

website_header.jpg
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    What's this?
    v9swoz5ypd5r.png

Kitbashes: Guard, Scions, Genestealer Cults, Fantasy Empire, Mechanicus, etc. Somewhere - White Dwarf maybe? - they went over how to make them.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    What's this?
    v9swoz5ypd5r.png

Kitbashes: Guard, Scions, Genestealer Cults, Fantasy Empire, Mechanicus, etc. Somewhere - White Dwarf maybe? - they went over how to make them.

The red one I think is a Chaos cultist head. I have painted it a few times.

u7stthr17eud.png
    edited July 2018
    The red one is a hooded wood elf (waywatcher?) with an IG gasmask. The hooded cultist head has goggles.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    EDIT: of course I missed that there was another page...

Mayday on
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I wish I had more large Space Wolves bits. I saw a knight that used a Space Wolves venerable dreadnought shield and claw and it looks cool.

Gonna see what I can find on bits world and window box.

1gkjng7ym19r.jpg

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    I just bought 15 loyalist termis to turn into deathwatch termis for 20 bucks. Not too bad. I know they ain't great but man it is so fluffy.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Plastic Steel Legion? Don't tease me.

I wish

• TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I just bought 15 loyalist termis to turn into deathwatch termis for 20 bucks. Not too bad. I know they ain't great but man it is so fluffy.

I want terminators to be good again so bad.

They just cost so much and deep strike got hit real hard.

TheGerbil on
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    GW never really figured out how to make elite units all that worthwhile.

What makes custodes work?

honovere wrote: »

Probably the bikes. Apparently they are a pain to deal with. I'll find out as soon as my friend can afford to buy two more boxes of bikes. I also think a battalion of Imperial Guard make Custodes really rough.

I think I'm gonna buy a lot of Space Wolves bits and hopefully get some good pieces for this knight I'm working on. Been talking to the person who made the 3D print Space Wolves upgrades for knights that I bought and been getting advice.

I'm really excited to get the 3D parts and start making this knight.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I guess I might paint Marines of some kind for kill team. Even with the addition of Rangers the Eldar team will be really boring. Like in shadow war, where 90% of your team are guys with shuriken catapults or slightly better shuriken catapults.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    TheGerbil wrote: »

Me too. I bring them all the time because I love Terminators, but mine never seem to get any actual work done.

Gerbil, where did you manage to find fifteen Terminators for twenty bucks? That's a pretty great deal.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »

Probably the bikes. Apparently they are a pain to deal with.

Yep. Most Custodes units and pure Custodes lists suffer from the same issues as every other elite army - not enough bodies on the table.

Jetbikes, especially the HQ version, are complete fuckers. They're mobile, have good anti-infantry firepower, deal high single-target damage in close combat, and are absolute nightmares to kill. There's a reason the Guard/Custodes combo is one of the top tier armies at the moment.

TheGerbil wrote: »

Me too. I bring them all the time because I love Terminators, but mine never seem to get any actual work done.

Gerbil, where did you manage to find fifteen Terminators for twenty bucks? That's a pretty great deal.

A dude in my club was unloading his old loyalist stuff. There were some metal sternguard, DA tac marines, and scout bikers in there too but I really didn't need them.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Burnage wrote: »
    Stragint wrote: »

Probably the bikes. Apparently they are a pain to deal with.

Yep. Most Custodes units and pure Custodes lists suffer from the same issues as every other elite army - not enough bodies on the table.

Jetbikes, especially the HQ version, are complete fuckers. They're mobile, have good anti-infantry firepower, deal high single-target damage in close combat, and are absolute nightmares to kill. There's a reason the Guard/Custodes combo is one of the top tier armies at the moment.

I think a lot of it is they combine a bunch of rules and are not deep strike dependent.

They are sub 10 wound characters so you don't have to deepstrike them to keep them safe first turn just put guard in front of them. They fly so they ignore terrain. They move crazy fast so they can get into range first turn. They can charge on your opponents turn in their shooting phase with the stratagem. With proper spreading of abilities and items you can give 2-3 of them 3++ saves or something like that. They have a hurricane bolter on the bikes. They hit on twos, have built in ignoring of smite, and have a base 2+ armor.

Actually when you list their abilities+weapons they are probably a bit under pointed at the moment. Top it off taking them in a supreme command detachment is a way to use them without hurting the rest of your army.

They fill a huge hole that other Imperium armies have, fast tough melee units that also clear chaff for rather cheap.

I mean looking at the current imperial soup it is three pieces/4 pieces now:

1.Imperial guard CP generation machine+bodies
    2.Blood angel slamguinus, Mephiston, and scouts
    3.Custodes on bikes
    4.Knights

Guard provide bodies, CP and fire support. Custodes/BA provide close combat fast units that get where you want them and hit like trucks. Knights provide an insane amount of tough to kill firepower. All the while you can regen CP from your own and your opponents usage and start at a basis of 11-16 cp depending on your army.

It literally is all list types in a single list with overlapping strengths and filling in each others weaknesses.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Custodes just get so much stuff for free, Mazzyx forgot to mention those Shield Captains are also objective secured!

When they were being released and we had a daily Custodes preview article explaining dev thinking I was so frustrated because they kept saying things like "because of the low body count, we're giving each unit obj sec" "because smite fucks elite units, we're giving them all an anti-smite FNP" "because armor sucks, we're giving a blanket +1 invuln" and so on.

And I'm sitting there thinking, but wait GW, all those arguments apply to other elite units too, especially my poor Grey Knights, can we apply all these good, thoughtful design elements retroactively to them with some errata, too?

The sad part is even with all that, with 2+ WS and BS, T5, innate 4++ (compare Custodes troops to Gk Paladins, they're better in every way, obj sec, troops slot and also cheaper) the footslogging Custodes units still suck and get shot off the board before they can do anything. Only the Jetbikes are considered good.

But at least it bodes well for the future, I'm hoping they figure it out one day and make Terminators, Centurions, Crisis Suits, etc. worth using. IMO it'll require some special rules about ignoring AP and allowing units with innate deepstrike to ignore the beta rule, something novel like that.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Gaunts, warriors, genestealers, and ... lictors!

For nid kill teams.

efff yess licttoooorrrrs

website_header.jpg
    How many points are lictors? The article mentions a full kill team of lictors would be four of them, that should give us an idea of the scale, points-wise.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Oh man lictors FUCK YEAH

Lanlaorn wrote: »
    How many points are lictors? The article mentions a full kill team of lictors would be four of them, that should give us an idea of the scale, points-wise.

I wouldn't assume codex points=kill team points.

Also lictors, glad they put them in I wasn't sure they would as they were big.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    So excited for the nids kill team selections!

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    In Shadow War a squad of 5 wolf scouts clocks in at 1000pts. So yeah probably don't go by 40k points.

Maybe Necrons with get Wraiths.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Weird question regarding stacking in 40k.

Eldar Hornets, they get -1 to hit if they advance. If they're Craftworld Alaitoc, they get -1 to hit outside 12 inches. If they also get Vectored Engines, does that mean when they advance they get -3 to hit?!

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    Bizazedo wrote: »

Eldar Hornets, they get -1 to hit if they advance. If they're Craftworld Alaitoc, they get -1 to hit outside 12 inches. If they also get Vectored Engines, does that mean when they advance they get -3 to hit?!

Yes. Stacking to hit modifiers is a big part of why Eldar are so strong at the moment.

Burnage wrote: »
    Bizazedo wrote: »

Yes. Stacking to hit modifiers is a big part of why Eldar are so strong at the moment.

In fact you can lightning reflex that to a -4.

Because why not?

u7stthr17eud.png
    eBay has a 15% discount coupon today. Just got a nib Corvus Blackstar for 46 bucks with free shipping. Woo!

u7stthr17eud.png
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I picked up 3 Start Collecting boxes for 160 buckaroos, after the discount and all my eBay funbucks. eBay mostly take the, but sometimes it giveth a little.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    I picked up 3 Start Collecting boxes for 160 buckaroos, after the discount and all my eBay funbucks. eBay mostly take the, but sometimes it giveth a little.

Well I shop around for crap on ebay

Drukhari killteam is up.

Only 2 unit selections... Kabalites and wyches.

Dunno if it was a full reveal or just a teaser, but that's pretty skinny.

I'm sure they have a ton of loadout options, but still

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Eldar have always felt a bit anemic on the skirmish level imo.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Eldar have always felt a bit anemic on the skirmish level imo.

You'd expect Harlequins to be the Big Deal Eldar for Kill Team purposes, but I don't think they've previewed that set yet?

kshu0oba7xnr.png

I'm honestly going to be surprised if Harlequins have anything more than the base Players now. A Death Jester or Solitaire feel like they'd be massive overkill on the level that Kill Team seems to be operating at.

Deathwatch is next, followed by Harlequins

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    I’d really like to see Scorpions as a craftworld choice. Kill team would totally be their bag!

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    All the Aspect Warriors would work fluff wise, but they said they're trying to limit it to plastic multi-pose stuff for customization purposes.

• ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Seems like it's past time for plastic multi-pose Aspect Warriors already!

It's literally the only thing holding me back from starting Craftworld Eldar.