As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EverQuest] 19 years of misery and memories.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Corpse runs aren't a thing any longer, xp loss is negligible (especially with how easy a rez is to get), and with mercs soloing isn't terrible.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Corpse runs aren't a thing any longer, xp loss is negligible (especially with how easy a rez is to get), and with mercs soloing isn't terrible.

On live servers.

P99 still has that stuff :p

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I was talking about live servers

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    NoizlanifNoizlanif MMO-Whore Registered User regular
    Playing on P99 Is like walking uphill both ways in the snow with a griffon chasing after you in your underwear, also the snow is fire. I..Can't get enough of it.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    P99 is a giant nostalgia bomb. I should go back to it, but the grind is so real.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Apparently another progression server starting on the 19th of this month (for EQ's 19th anniversary).

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    Dammit, I might actually jump in on this one.

EQ was my first MMO through I never had the money for a regular subscription and I've never found a game that could recreate that kind of magic. I'll probably be super disappointed but I miss my bard that I made in the early 2000s. I remember sitting in crushbone farming the orc slavers and being super excited when I got an invite into the castle.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Korror wrote: »
    Dammit, I might actually jump in on this one.

EQ was my first MMO through I never had the money for a regular subscription and I've never found a game that could recreate that kind of magic. I'll probably be super disappointed but I miss my bard that I made in the early 2000s. I remember sitting in crushbone farming the orc slavers and being super excited when I got an invite into the castle.

I'm really tempted as well. I was 12 or 13 when I played EQ on my older brother's account and I almost jumped on the.m current progression server.

Depending on how money is and the job search goes I might get in on this one even though I feel like I probably won't be that into it pretty quickly.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Hearing the music as a high elf, approaching Felwithe for the first time in years brought a tear to my eye. I remember playing it back when there were people all over the Faydark, and it wasn't freaking impossible to get into the castle at Crushbone. These days, you're lucky to see another soul in some of the old newbie zones- everyone's using the mines to level up, and all the guilds are basing out of the same city, which is a bit of a pain. Honestly, I'd love to try a few of the old dungeons and everything again- if anything, just for the memories.

I think my highest was about... my Lv. 45 magician. Just hit a dry spell of leveling and lost interest. Wish I had him back, I could finally get into some high-level play, because that's where everyone freaking is these days...

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    So I actually followed through and subscribed to EQ again for the new progression server. My thoughts in no particular order:

1) Wow, it’s exactly the same as I remembered it. The orc hill has the same players camping it, there’s still trains to zones, and I still remember where the bard guild hall is. The nostalgia is strong here.

2) WTF is this new loot system? I have no idea how it works. I just randomly press buttons and loot occasionally gets into my bags.

3) People still group and sit around and chat between pulls. There's really no other game where that's happened to me and it was great. I joined a group camping bandits and we ended up moving from there into crushbone over the course of several hours. I've never had that kind of experience in any other mmo.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    That reminds me of everything that I used to love about the game. It's hard finding someone on the free servers to even play with- most people just stick around the city you get dumped at if you do the tutorial, and pretty much everything else is just plain dead, as in you can go and never see anybody else in all of Greater Faydark when it should be bustling with life.

...I wonder how much the sub fee is... I'd love to go revisit my old haunts someday and play a few classes and races I never got a chance to.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    That reminds me of everything that I used to love about the game. It's hard finding someone on the free servers to even play with- most people just stick around the city you get dumped at if you do the tutorial, and pretty much everything else is just plain dead, as in you can go and never see anybody else in all of Greater Faydark when it should be bustling with life.

...I wonder how much the sub fee is... I'd love to go revisit my old haunts someday and play a few classes and races I never got a chance to.

IIRC it is $12 or $13 or so.

The sub actually applies to all Daybreak games not just EQ. On top of getting access to all the expansions and DLC stuff for various games you also get a stipend of funbux each month.

Pretty similar to how TESO’s sub operates actually now that I think about it.

EQ will forever have a special place in my heart. Though there are a number of things about the game I don’t miss what I do miss is that sense of community. Of random strangers grouping together, shooting the shit and having fun. Of running in to people you recognize from your adventuring and catching up.

Not that it was the only game with that sense of community, but it really hasn’t been a thing since WoW more or less (and for the record I love WoW too).

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    x
    I've been powerleveling my beastlord in lower guk. I never visited guk back in it's heyday, so it's really cool going there now and not dealing with camps and trains and whatnot. Also, the old graphics and textures make me giggle.

I did have a level 106 barbarian of some sort show up and invite me to his party. I declined because I didn't know why he wanted to, then he ran into the room and one shot the ghoul lord and left without looting it. Guess it was for an achievement or something.

We would do 24/7 Guk parties, where people would rotate out after sleeping a few hours. Just constant.

Wish I had that sort of work ethic with actual work.

Qanamil on
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Korror wrote: »
    So I actually followed through and subscribed to EQ again for the new progression server. My thoughts in no particular order:

1) Wow, it’s exactly the same as I remembered it. The orc hill has the same players camping it, there’s still trains to zones, and I still remember where the bard guild hall is. The nostalgia is strong here.

2) WTF is this new loot system? I have no idea how it works. I just randomly press buttons and loot occasionally gets into my bags.

3) People still group and sit around and chat between pulls. There's really no other game where that's happened to me and it was great. I joined a group camping bandits and we ended up moving from there into crushbone over the course of several hours. I've never had that kind of experience in any other mmo.

I have distinct memories of sitting in various camps/zones for ages just killin' respawns. I especially remember sitting on the beach killing crocs, watching my spellbook during meditation and looking out for the rare spawn yell. Good times.

And the EQ Bard is one of my favorite of all the MMO classes to this day.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    I especially remember sitting on the beach killing crocs, watching my spellbook during meditation and looking out for the rare spawn yell. Good times.

"SPECTRE TO DOCKS!!!1!!"

You have died.
    LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...

McFodder on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular

I hear that somehow, and I don't think I'll ever understand this, but somehow, Shadowknight is the solo class of choice now.

Also:

* Corpse Runs aren't a thing
    * XP Loss isn't bad
    * Mercs

Can you go into more details there?

• Options
    I really want to jump into the progression server. How far in is the new one and when does it go to the next one?

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    According to Allakhazam (which makes me nostalgic all on it's own) it looks like Kunark is open now, and Scars of Velious will open around the end of August.

• Options
    Oh man, Allakhazam.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »

I hear that somehow, and I don't think I'll ever understand this, but somehow, Shadowknight is the solo class of choice now.

Also:

* Corpse Runs aren't a thing
    * XP Loss isn't bad
    * Mercs

Can you go into more details there?

you can summon your corpse to a lobby in the plane of knowledge. i'm not even sure if you die you lose anything at this point anyway. Specifically, i think your armor just stays on you.
    xp loss is really reduced and non-existent at lower levels.
    Mercs are npcs that you can "hire" to run with you. You pay for them on a timed increment, i think every 15 minutes. you can hire, tank, ranged dps (caster or ranger?), and a healer. they will buff and follow you around, but are pretty limited in what else they will do.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I keep getting targeted ads telling me the EQ is free to play now!

so ....

Electric Fun Stuff Presents:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW_yVGPd0ns

• Options
    Yup, that's definitely a video from 2003.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    what would I like my tombstone to say?

• Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    what would I like my tombstone to say?

You have died. Loading please wait...

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Did EQ2 ever stop being buggy? That game had way too much undead.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    so i got really bored and i don’t like video games anymore anyway so i loaded up a daybreak sub and rolled a toon on the newish mangler progression server

after ten years clean

i’ll say i’m having a good time with it so far. up to level 13 on my druid in about 20 hours playing over the last week people seem exactly the same as the last time i played, for better and worse

also there are apparently items called Krono now which you can buy for $18 that give you a month sub but also you can trade in-game for plat instead, so i guess in the one hand it’s a way to straight up buy plat but on the other hand it’s a way to potentially play for free. they’re going for around 2k plat on mangler right now, which is a lot of plat for vanilla EQ but not unobtainable by any means. roughly equivalent to a SSoY or FBSS

any of you nerds playing? i’m on there as Chanus

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    I know no fear.
    Highpass Hussy!

So many things that made memories. I can't remember a single dialogue line from any other mmo. I do remember exploring beholder maze and karanas with a friend who was eating a snack when being jumped by a griffon.

"Fngkunnking runwsssd."

Also binding to zones for the inevitable death. Being jealous of filthy casters being able to bind anywhere.

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »
    so i got really bored and i don’t like video games anymore anyway so i loaded up a daybreak sub and rolled a toon on the newish mangler progression server

after ten years clean

i’ll say i’m having a good time with it so far. up to level 13 on my druid in about 20 hours playing over the last week people seem exactly the same as the last time i played, for better and worse

also there are apparently items called Krono now which you can buy for $18 that give you a month sub but also you can trade in-game for plat instead, so i guess in the one hand it’s a way to straight up buy plat but on the other hand it’s a way to potentially play for free. they’re going for around 2k plat on mangler right now, which is a lot of plat for vanilla EQ but not unobtainable by any means. roughly equivalent to a SSoY or FBSS

One of my friends has multiple accounts active and convinced me to roll up a character to play with him on Mangler and so I, too, have relapsed. I'm pretty sure last time I played I had access to House of Thule without having to pay so it was probably around 2012?

Anyway, if you see a high elf pally named Artival running around, gimme a wave! Or a SoW pls if you've hit 14 by then :P

• Options
    26,000 HP? Are you fucking kidding me? Holy fucking Moses, that's a lot of HP! :D

Now I'm reading back through the thread and wondered how this post has aged with the level cap being up to 110 now haha.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    McFodder wrote: »

after ten years clean

One of my friends has multiple accounts active and convinced me to roll up a character to play with him on Mangler and so I, too, have relapsed. I'm pretty sure last time I played I had access to House of Thule without having to pay so it was probably around 2012?

Anyway, if you see a high elf pally named Artival running around, gimme a wave! Or a SoW pls if you've hit 14 by then :P

the spell levels are all broken up now so SoW is 10 for druids and i think 9 for shamans

so everybody gets SoW!

also coincidentally i hit 14 yesterday evening

Chanus on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Oh man, when does the new progression server launch? That sounds awesome.

• Options
    Mangler launched March 16th and will be in Classic until I think June 10th. Expansions release on a 12 week schedule so it'll be a long time before anything remotely modern comes out heh

• Options
    McFodder wrote: »

after ten years clean

the spell levels are all broken up now so SoW is 10 for druids and i think 9 for shamans

so everybody gets SoW!

also coincidentally i hit 14 yesterday evening

Grats! And man, I even looked up the spell levels but it's so hard to get accurate info when so much has changed over the years.

I have heard they recently made some really big changes to how aggro and taunt work but all I know is so far on my pally it's been pretty much useless - but then he is only level 7 so far :P

• Options
    yeah i don’t have a good grasp on what’s different from ten years ago when i last played

i haven’t even looked at live yet. i’m sure i’ll be like caveman lawyer once i do

• Options
    I'm very seriously considering subbing for the new progression server. I found out about the last way too late.

I want to do some game recording of Crowfall, Everquest, Borderlands, and Division 2 so I might hit up EQ very soon.

Last time I played I got to 48 with a Shadow Knight back just before Lucian came out. I might roll a Shadow Knight again.

• Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    Oh man, I've been tempted a few times to start this back up at some point. My first time ever playing years ago I went with Paladin, and while I don't regret it, I would have (in my circle of friends) been better off with Wiz or Bard, or even Rogue.

I wonder if I could start up again and live out my bard/wiz dreams haha.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    Most servers are free to play, and the 10gb-ish install is not the monster it was when I was on dial-up.

The progression servers do have a great community from what I've seen though, where regular servers are probably going to be fairly empty outside of a few zones until (at a guess) level 90 or something ridiculous.

And just to tip people over the edge....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKj36GJj_i8

• Options
    Mangler has been a good deal of fun so far

also i found that SSoYs are selling for around 1500 plat but also you can sell them for one Krono, which is the new item that gives you a month of game time you can buy from Daybreak

so i farmed up 1500 plat, bought an SSoY in EC tunnel, turned around and sold it for a Krono, and then sold the Krono at its going rate of 2400 plat

did that a few times and now i’ve got tailoring up to 100, a handful of decent gear on my druid, 2600 plat in my pocket and two Krono in reserve

also an SSoY for when i roll my warrior alt haha

• Options
    I randomly got given some bronze on my nearly-level-8 pally over the weekend, so now I can't wait to get back in game and call myself the king of Orc Hill.

Still using a tarnished short sword, but hopefully I can at least take hits a bit better now haha.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Progression servers are official right, any want to explain to me how they work?

I feel like I should go back to Project 99 but I haven’t got the game running pleasantly on Mac and I rarely boot to Windows.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)