As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2007: 11/14

• Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Nope. :(
    I'm going to write a list of "nit-pickings" for this game and send it off to the devs someday. So many little things that would add to the experience and seem easy enough to do.

Accualt on
  • Options
    STEVOtheGREATSTEVOtheGREAT Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Accualt wrote:
    Nope. :(
    I'm going to write a list of "nit-pickings" for this game and send it off to the devs someday. So many little things that would add to the experience and seem easy enough to do.

Seriously.

If devs listen to frustrated gamers this time around, the next game in this franchise will be the best wrestling game ever produced. But they probably won't. :cry:

Aoi, is that your gamertag as well? I'm playing a bunch of matches as Christian and having a pretty good time. If anyone wants to play, I'm down.

update: just played a good normal tag online as tazz with fit finlay as a partner against umaga and john cena. it was great. real tag work, no illegal wrestlers nonsense. finlay's music is amazing. anyway, it was a really good time. i think the online system could be fixed but doubt DemonWare would consider working on a Live update for it. but if they did, oh my.

also, for the efed, there's wrestler trading, this could be useful for the CAWs so we can trade them in and get them to be scale to eachother (at least somewhat). there are a lot of CAWs in online mode with interesting proportioning, and it never really looks realistic. also, we could add the same glare amount to our CAWs. the end result would be the most realistic looking wrestlers possible. i almost don't want to go back to CAW matches after i played the great real-wrestler tag. it just feels so real.

STEVOtheGREAT on
    paavatar.jpg
  • Options
    FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I've been working on the challenges... and man, the Mexicools vs. Taker and Kane is hellishly difficult.

My gamertag is LordFeriluce if anyone wants to play.

Feriluce on
    XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    So is it just me or is the caw a bit limited compared to other year's? It just seems that there aren't as many options.

Also, how in the hell do I give my guy different attires for entrance and cutscene? I click the right analog stick and it says entrance, but when I save it, that'll be his attire for the match as well. Some help would be appreciate it.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    noir_blood wrote:
    So is it just me or is the caw a bit limited compared to other year's? It just seems that there aren't as many options.

Also, how in the hell do I give my guy different attires for entrance and cutscene? I click the right analog stick and it says entrance, but when I save it, that'll be his attire for the match as well. Some help would be appreciate it.

As far as I can tell it has everything from last year in the CAW.

It is an option under Layers.

Accualt on
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Accualt wrote:
    noir_blood wrote:

As far as I can tell it has everything from last year in the CAW.

It is an option under Layers.

Yea Accult is right, its just like last years.

It is under dispay settings, select which piece you want for which situation. Just uncheck or leave the check mar accordingly.\

t stevo - have you figured anything on the chanpinoship matches online,

Also can you explain to me the diffrences in the tag matches between WWE Superstars tagged together and CAW's, whats the diffrence.

Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    edited November 2006

Also can you explain to me the diffrences in the tag matches between WWE Superstars tagged together and CAW's, whats the diffrence.

Championship matches online don't work like actual championships, it seems. It looks like title vs. title matches only for the most part, which is a little disappointing.

As far as the differences in tag match, I'm just saying the real wrestlers look so much better than CAWs do, the experience is much better. I am starting to prefer playing with WWE superstars over CAWs, however, if we all tried to scale our CAWs to eachother and get the same person to edit skin color / specular / proportions, the CAWs might actually look good next to eachother. Most times though, two CAWs in the same ring look retarded. This is blamed mostly on misproportion but there are other things to take into account.

STEVOtheGREAT on
    paavatar.jpg
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006

Championship matches online don't work like actual championships, it seems. It looks like title vs. title matches only for the most part, which is a little disappointing.

As far as the differences in tag match, I'm just saying the real wrestlers look so much better than CAWs do, the experience is much better. I am starting to prefer playing with WWE superstars over CAWs, however, if we all tried to scale our CAWs to eachother and get the same person to edit skin color / specular / proportions, the CAWs might actually look good next to eachother. Most times though, two CAWs in the same ring look retarded. This is blamed mostly on misproportion but there are other things to take into account.

so wait the only way to go for a title match like say me vs you would be if me and you both put a belt on the line, so i would need a belt as well?

Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    edited November 2006

so wait the only way to go for a title match like say me vs you would be if me and you both put a belt on the line, so i would need a belt as well?

Unfortunately, I believe this is the case. If so, I am very disappointed in THQ and DemonWare. It's just sloppy. The idea of a title match is a champion and a challenger. Two champions for each title match, and then you have to make another belt to continue fighting for titles, is just stupid.

However, if you want to play a title match, let me know. I have to go out for a long time but I'll be back tonight.

STEVOtheGREAT on
    paavatar.jpg
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    So gang, I have a few questions about this game, the answers which will hinge on my decision of picking it up:

1) You can create your own entrance, correct? What kind of options does this feature?

2) How are weapons handled this time around? The same as the series' past, or a new way?

3) How are the dynamics for using tables? I'm a huge, huge fan of doing the crazy leaps, the insane slams, and the amazing spots, and tables really add to it.

4) It's similar to the question above, but have ladder matches improved? Not necessarily the dynamics of the match, but the dynamics of the ladder itself. I'm huge on gimmick/prop matches, and tables/ladders are a pretty huge selling point for me.

Many thanks. :D

Kami on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    1) Yes. It is fairly robust but not as amazing as Raw 2. There are four parts of the entrance. For each part you can choose a type of lighting, an explosion of fireworks timed when you want it, a screen effect (like nWo type of camera filters), an animation, when/if you want the Name PLate to pop up, and multiple camera angles that switch when you want them to. Sadly no custom entrance music short of what the game comes with. :(

2) For the smaller weapons, like chairs and barbwire bats, they are pretty much the same as always. Few different types of chair finishers. The crowd in a certain area can now hand you weapons as well, which is kind of nice. You can more effectively use the ringpost, guard rail, stairs, ect as weapons now as well. For instance you can knock someone on their back, drag them to a ringpost that doesn't have steps, climb out of the ring, and pull their balls right into that metal poll. Another good example is how you have control over smashing someone's head into the stairs or strangling a guy with the monitor wire from the announcer's table.

3) In table matches you can use it as a weapon, do moves to people on it, ect but you can't put them through it until one of their limbs is red. This is nice because you don't get stuck with one-minute long table matches anymore. In non-table matches with tables in them you can freely put people through the tables rather easily in a variety of ways. You can also stack them two high, though only on the inside of the ring and the one time I did it I superplexed the guy off the top turnbuckle through both of them. I don't know if there are other animations for stacked tables but there seems to be a good variety for single tables.

4) Ladder matches are mostly improved. Getting the belt is more fun now but t seems easier to "snipe" a win, I could be wrong about that since I've only played a couple ladder matches. You can do cool stuff with the ladders now, lot more variety in the grapple attacks. This variety seems based on type of character. Like I had a ladder in the corner, tossed a guy into it as Benoit, grappled, put him in the ladder, climbed the top rope and splashed ontop of the ladder with him in it. You can also put one ladder against another and run up it like Shelton Benjamin did one time. The one time I tried it, though, I missed and jumped off the ladder all the way to the outside. I lost that match.

The game is most certainly worth a rental.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Oh man, many thanks. :D

See, I never played SvR06, but I did have the first SvR, so these new features sound very enticing.

The only thing I'm looking at right now, is spending maybe $14 on SvR06 for PS2, or the $60 for the 360's Svr07. The real driving incentive is the online fed you're running, Accualt, but I honestly don't know how much time I could dedicate to it.

Kami on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    IMO, they need to alter the story mode. I really only play the games for the story mode, I really enjoy creating a CAW and taking him through it. But in the last few games you play someone who is already well established and in title-shot position. It's dull. No rank rising or anything. Plus like someone said, its all fairly predictable. You fight the newest flavour in WWE at the moment, end up in a tag then a three way, then the Undertaker is involved, then the Rumble, then championship or jump shows. It's almost as bad as the real thing.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Kami wrote:

See, I never played SvR06, but I did have the first SvR, so these new features sound very enticing.

The only thing I'm looking at right now, is spending maybe $14 on SvR06 for PS2, or the $60 for the 360's Svr07. The real driving incentive is the online fed you're running, Accualt, but I honestly don't know how much time I could dedicate to it.

To me, the 360's online make's it worth it. SvR06 is busted on the ps2 when you take it online. If you get a lag free game, you still can't talk (which in wrestling games is a killer. It's fun laughing about blown spots or what not), and then you're dealing with all the gamesharkers who have CAW's with a cruiserweight speed and size, but with the superweight category, so you can't do anything agaisnt them.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Kami wrote:

360 for the visuals alone. How would you get the PS2 version for $14 but have to pay $60 for the 360 one? They are only ten dollars apart at retail stores. I'd at least recommend renting the 360 one.
    You wouldn't need to dedicate much time to the fed. One match each week and an in-character post or two (or however many you want) each week. It won't be time consuming at all but I promise it will be a blast. RPing your character over live while fighting in a TLC tornado tag-team match with three other PAers? Oh god yes!

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Accualt wrote:
    Kami wrote:

360 for the visuals alone. How would you get the PS2 version for $14 but have to pay $60 for the 360 one? They are only ten dollars apart at retail stores. I'd at least recommend renting the 360 one.
    You wouldn't need to dedicate much time to the fed. One match each week and an in-character post or two (or however many you want) each week. It won't be time consuming at all but I promise it will be a blast. RPing your character over live while fighting in a TLC tornado tag-team match with three other PAers? Oh god yes!

I have to agree with Accualt here. Very rewarding fun.

This will really take off the more people we get on 360. I'm dying to play this game with people who actually use their microphones. :x

STEVOtheGREAT on
    paavatar.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Well, since I work at Gamestop, I get 25% off of used games, and since SvR06 is about 17.99 used, it'd only cost me about $14.

However, if anyone trades in their SvR07 for X360, it'd only cost me about $49.

Kami on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    There isn't a good reason to buy '06 at this point. The $14 would be better spent on renting '07, imho.

Accualt on
  • Options
    Jesus McChristJesus McChrist Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    How's the Create-a-Wrestler?

Jesus McChrist on
    if you can read this i hope you have a good day partner
  • Options
    edited November 2006

Pretty much identicle to last years. It has some new modifications of items (open/closed/tucked-in/ect) but otherwise everything is the same from last year. Oh, well, some new moves as well.

Accualt on
  • Options
    Jesus McChristJesus McChrist Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Accualt wrote:

Pretty much identicle to last years. It has some new modifications of items (open/closed/tucked-in/ect) but otherwise everything is the same from last year. Oh, well, some new moves as well.

Erm... how was last year's Create-a-Wrestler? The most recent wrestling game I played was WWF Smackdown!

Jesus McChrist on
    if you can read this i hope you have a good day partner
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    The CAW is alright. You can do a lot with what's given. However, I still prefer Wrestlemania 2000's and No Mercy's CAW, in that you could make the faces look radically different. There are about five or so different looking CAWs you see in online games. Pretty much everyone uses the same thing.

I was just in an online tag team hardcore match. I was CM Punk beating the crap out of Cactus Jack, I put him up on a table and pressed 'left button' for a special elbow drop from the top turnbuckle through an announce table. The animation for me driving him through the table played for a moment and then quickly a different animation played where Cactus moved out of the way and Punk thuds on the floor. Immediately after that, the game lagged out and everyone disconnected.

This happens VERY rarely, but my was that interesting.

STEVOtheGREAT on
    paavatar.jpg
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Accualt wrote:

Erm... how was last year's Create-a-Wrestler? The most recent wrestling game I played was WWF Smackdown!
    Anything is better than the CAW in that piece of shit. As I recall, you were able to pick a head, a torso, and the legs, and that was it.

Kreutz on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    The CAW is alright. You can do a lot with what's given. However, I still prefer Wrestlemania 2000's and No Mercy's CAW, in that you could make the faces look radically different. There are about five or so different looking CAWs you see in online games. Pretty much everyone uses the same thing.

I was just in an online tag team hardcore match. I was CM Punk beating the crap out of Cactus Jack, I put him up on a table and pressed 'left button' for a special elbow drop from the top turnbuckle through an announce table. The animation for me driving him through the table played for a moment and then quickly a different animation played where Cactus moved out of the way and Punk thuds on the floor. Immediately after that, the game lagged out and everyone disconnected.

That happened to me the first match I played online, only I was the one that rolled out of the way. Everyone in the room was like "Holy Christ!"

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Kyougu wrote:

That happened to me the first match I played online, only I was the one that rolled out of the way. Everyone in the room was like "Holy Christ!"

The "holy shit" feeling I experienced was that of pure anger rather than awe. Not because he rolled out of the way, it's Cactus Jack and hardcore is his forte, but because I watched him get driven through the table for a second or two and then the animation reverted. I don't like getting a finisher off on someone and it being this huge devastating manuever, and then a split-second later the game changes its mind putting me on the ground. Don't let me do the move if you're going to fake me out like that. :(

On a positive note, I have been in some great tag matches but only with people who use microphones. Everybody else goes at it like John Rambo, disregarding the notion of tags, too busy sliding in and out of the ring attacking everyone (and occassionally the referee) to fathom the concept of waiting on an apron and watching the action.

If the online party mode was enabled, something like Halo 2's, where someone can be party leader and kick those not cooperating, this game would be perfect. Continuing on to a rematch or another match with a select group of individuals would make this a great online wrestling game.

So far, I don't think any of them have really nailed it. This comes close though, and as I've said before, I think the next game in this series is going to be amazing. So long as they listen to user feedback.

STEVOtheGREAT on
    paavatar.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006

You can make a hell of a lot more faces in SvR '07 than you can in No Mercy its just a hell of a lot more time consuming than picking a pre-made texture. Personally I hate all the sliders, I'd rather have a ton of pre-made options for the face shape and whatnot. At the same time, though, I love the sliders because the hardcore CAW makers can turn out some freakishly life-like looking heads for wrestlers not in the game. I remember making Taz in '06 with a formula off the web that blew my mind over how accurate it was. I think there was something like seven different layers of facial hair alone used to give the right look. It was nuts.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    The layers are a nice touch, but as for realism, the CAWs in the N64 games looked like they fit right in with the other wrestlers.

In this, they stand out, very visibly. Not gamebreaking by any means, but I would prefer if CAWs didn't look so created.

STEVOtheGREAT on
    paavatar.jpg
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    OK, I got SvR07, but the counter-monkey at Gamestop neglected to tell me that I need to get XBL Gold to play online (which I probably should have found out myself anyway), so I'm not online yet. Which is good, because I sorta suck, though I'm getting better.

One question I do have: I keep reading about the challenges (like the Mexicools and such). How do I access those?

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    GoodOmens wrote:
    OK, I got SvR07, but the counter-monkey at Gamestop neglected to tell me that I need to get XBL Gold to play online (which I probably should have found out myself anyway), so I'm not online yet. Which is good, because I sorta suck, though I'm getting better.

One question I do have: I keep reading about the challenges (like the Mexicools and such). How do I access those?

Well when you get better, (or whenever you're ready) I have a 48 hour trial I can give out. I think its 48 hours anyway. Came with Sneak King. Let me know.

The challenges are, I believe, in the locker room. On a computer or something like that. I remember being prompted to do them but I didn't want to. Haven't seen em since. However, the season mode is spectacular.

I started a season as CM Punk and declined a title shot. A month later, I beat Angle in an ultimate submission and Rob Van Dam wants to partner with me for a go at the tag titles. RVD and Punk. What a team. It's great. Haven't won them yet, he kind of fucked me over and left me for dead in a handicapped match, but still. That's quite a team.

STEVOtheGREAT on
    paavatar.jpg
  • Options
    MattieMattie Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    How do I create my own custom logos for shirts and stuff on my created guy?

Mattie on
    3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Go to the design section of desired body part and choose from there. Be warned though, any of these tattoos or designs will restrict your custom guy from participating online. Only tattoos on the arms, legs or torso that can't be moved or manipulated are compatible for online custom wrestlers.

STEVOtheGREAT on
    paavatar.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    THQ fears creativity. The know there is a good chancea group of people would put wangs on their CAW's t-shirts. They are right but game experience may change during online play, anyone?

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Yeah. You have to reduce the likeness of perfectly good CAWs to get them to go online. Kind of brings down the experience. :x

And what's with these voices.

I had CM Punk in season mode talking like a latino gangster, so I changed his voice, went back in, and now he's a wigger. What the hell.

STEVOtheGREAT on
    paavatar.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    It woudl seem they forgot the preview function of the voices that they had in '06.

Accualt on
  • Options
    Lunatic ClamLunatic Clam Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Accualt wrote:
    It woudl seem they forgot the preview function of the voices that they had in '06.

Leading me to have a CAW who's supposed to be a 7 foot Jewish Titan sound like he's Dikembe Mutombo. I kept it because it's too funny.

Lunatic Clam on
    Friend Code 0302-1076-6730
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    It actually occurred to me today that my job entitles me check-out privelages for a week or so.

Needless to say, I checked this out today, I'm gonna create my superstar, and start the campaign. :D

Kami on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Accualt wrote:

No, it's there. Just press x before choosing a voice.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Kyougu wrote:
    Accualt wrote:

No, it's there. Just press x before choosing a voice.

It's there, alright. It's just wrong.

STEVOtheGREAT on
    paavatar.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I started Season Mode not too long ago, and I'm really loving the gameplay mechanics. This is the first wrestling game I've played in a long while that actually has the pacing of an actual match, and I'm really digging that.

Also, the CAW stuff is fantastic.

Kami on
  • Options
    Stevo 22Stevo 22 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I won the Tag Team titles with CM Punk and CM Jackass, eventually, but for some unknown reason, instead of letting me defend the titles once, they shifted me over to Smackdown. And CM Jackass would be Chris Masters. What a douche. I was much happier when they paired Punk with RVD.

Maybe I need to pay attention to when the title match takes place during the year. Could this have something to do with it?

So I end up in Smackdown with absolutely no tag team championship belts whatsoever. I guess the in-game WWE loves vacant titles because every time you win one, you end up somewhere else. Wonderful.

I kept declining the title most of the season as CM Punk, not really fighting for anything (he's at 99 - and i got everything shop zone had to offer) and I had a great time. This is a really, really good game. I'm at Survivor Series match in a tornado 6 man tag. Eight would be zomg! but that's not going to happen. Fingers are crossed for the next game.

- One gripe I had today was in a PPV match against Edge. It was a ladder match and I was just destroying him for the most part. He got maybe two reversals on me and then I went back to destroying him again. Did my finisher on him once (Pedigree) and then beat him up a bit more. Hit a big move and went for the ladder. I got up, tried wearing it down (only got about 1/9 done), and then he punch-plexed me off the ladder. I landed in-ring but had become yellow. All the button-mashing in the world couldn't save me from his quick climbing and years of TLC experience. He just tore the thing down like a gorilla snatching a banana from a tree. 'Press Any Button Repeatedly.' :|

edit: gtfo. CM Punk, Batista, + Fit Finlay against Triple H, Ric Flair, + John Cena. mother of god.

Stevo 22 on
    "It's do or die." "Hey, I've died twice."