As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Football/Soccer] Thread about kickin' balls

So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
edited October 2018 in Debate and/or Discourse
BE THERE OR BE SQUARE

Here's a tweet with pictures of the coolest dude rn

Discuss soccer/footy and distract me from my broken plumbing that is going to cause us to have to remodel two bathrooms!

GO

So It Goes on

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Should games end after the first half? Lots of people are saying maybe so.

• PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

First to score wins

• HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Just go straight to penalties. Entire world cup over in a day.

sig.gif
  • SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Gareth Southgate is a REALLY intense blinker.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    BUT FIRST:

Did you enjoy 90 minutes of England and Belgium jogging about at the end of the group stage giving a token effort to appear to be a game but trying not to actually win it?

Well you’re in luck because that’s what’s happening again Saturday

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    While France are favorites there is a decent chance we will have a first time winner, world cup finals are usually very low scoring games which tends to up the variance

• evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Decent run by England, Croatia too good though. Just hope they aren't fucked for the final having played so much extra time.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Pellaeon wrote: »

First to score wins

So its golden snitch rules, huh

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    Decent run by England, Croatia too good though. Just hope they aren't fucked for the final having played so much extra time.

They have a good few days to rest, I think they'll be feeling pretty good.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular

Luca Modric has learned how to temporarily live outside time and does not currently experience fatigue. Unfortunately after the tournament is over, dude is gonna shrivel up like he chose the wrong grail.

• Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular

Second best meme I've seen since the final whsitle (yes I'm saying my shitty Scarlet Witch one is the best)

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Me today:

Set alarm for 5:30 am.
    Wake at 5:29 anyway.
    Walk dog.
    Anthems.
    Get Mr 5 and move him in blankets to sofa.
    Sit in Bean Bag
    Kick off.
    Coming home status: it's.
    Half time -> Breakfast
    Feed Dog
    Get up Mr 2 and move all children to beanbag.
    Second Half
    Coming Home status: drunk and on the wrong bus.
    Mr 2 starts crying when daddy yells at TV.
    Full Time
    Feed Mr 2 Breakfast
    Make lunch, pack work bag.
    ET 1
    Mr 5 gets overexcited and has to lie down in bed.
    ET halftime
    FASTEST SHOWER EVER
    ET 2
    Coming Home Status: Lolwhut
    Wife proclaims herself sick.
    I proclaim both children sick
    She tells me to take dependent day and stay home from work
    Call in.
    Mr 5 comes back.
    Final whistle.
    Wall chart.

... find pants.

Jesus, I'm fucking exhausted already and I've only just got dressed.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular

Gross and petty. I’m Glaswegian but will always support any British side in a tournament.

(I will admit to being leery of an England victory but that’s because I don’t think the ‘Two World Wars and a World Cup’ mentality should be encouraged.)

The day most of Scotland isn’t cheering for England’s opposition is far, far away.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I was in Edinburgh the night England demolished Germany 5-1 in the 2001 qualifiers. I remember being surprised how pro-England the locals seemed to be that night. Maybe it's Edinburgh, or because it was Germany, or just because it was hard not to cheer for a fucking rampant England that night?

• HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Roy Keane is about to stab Ian Wright on ITV.

Keane's tenure on ITV was always going to end in bloodshed.

sig.gif
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Cog wrote: »

Luca Modric has learned how to temporarily live outside time and does not currently experience fatigue. Unfortunately after the tournament is over, dude is gonna shrivel up like he chose the wrong grail.

The Picture of Luka Modrić

PSN: Honkalot
    Pretty sure no one at work thinks my kids are sick because most of my colleagues know my Grandmother was an Yvanovic and know I'm a Croatia fan.

Fortunately my manager doesn't follow football and is totally oblivious, so I'm probably safe.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    I was in Edinburgh the night England demolished Germany 5-1 in the 2001 qualifiers. I remember being surprised how pro-England the locals seemed to be that night. Maybe it's Edinburgh, or because it was Germany, or just because it was hard not to cheer for a fucking rampant England that night?

Things change when Scotland votes to remain, twice, and it didn't help.

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    I had a friend that I hadn’t seen in three years visiting so we went to the pub

We got the only seats without a view of the screen

Hearing but not seeing the match was agony

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    My girlfriend decided to pick which four teams would make it to the semifinals at the start. She got 3/4. I feel like she should have put some money down on this somewhere.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I'm so proud of England

When was the last time we got into a semi-final? Not that I can remember. We won a penalty shootout. We beat Sweden. We fought Croatia to the bitter end, in the semis, against one of the most impressive WC teams I have ever seen. Got further than Germany, Brazil and Argentina!

We live in a divided country. But Gareth, Harry and the boys brought us together. A bunch of lads from the same places we are from. Harry Maguire grew up in the same city, walked the same streets as me. And it could never last. But it was beautiful, while it did. They fought so hard, they really believed, and that's all we ever wanted from them, that true and real passion.

It came home. We didn't win. But football came home anyway.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Looking back to where we first met

I can not escape, and I cannot forget

Southgate, you're the one

You still turn me on

Football's coming home again

Solar wrote: »
    When was the last time we got into a semi-final?

When Mike Bassett was coach.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    So... I got the World Cup final right. If Croatia wins this it will be an excellent outcome on my part...

*kisses fingers like an italian chef*

z3dwhjddj6b9.jpeg
    as an Irishman, that goal certainly went in at a time

• ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Solar wrote: »
    Looking back to where we first met

I can not escape, and I cannot forget

Southgate, you're the one

You still turn me on

Football's coming home again

You got great players set for Qatar. Maybe football's coming home late. :)

I plastered New Order's World in Motion here and there. But it's their other World that sets the current mood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXzs47qy2Pk

But I'm happy Croatia is in and a team without a star can be in the finals.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
    I am not, in general, an England fan.

The English fans tend to have wild expectation and over estimation of their team and ability. At their worst, they are loud, obnoxious and boorish. They put their own team under immense pressure. And the team, while talented, generally isn't a real contender; they are dependable, capable of a few results and probably even a seeding, but little risk of making the final. And I'm just over how much noise there is, how much expectation the fans generate that is so out of proportion with their capabilities.

This England team was different. I did expect to dislike them, the noise, the expectation, the team that looks like it won't get more than a game or two past the group phase.

But that didn't happen. The fans started less muted and obnoxious than usual. The expectations seemed reasonable. And the team ... actually played well. Played beautifully, in fact; fluid, dynamic, capable of putting in goals. They looked... good. They were fun, and capable, and looked so dangerous at the set piece.

And sure, eventually the hype machine started up, and fuck if my colonial ass doesn't rankle at every mention of the Empire, but mostly people just seemed ... happy. It was hard not to be happy for them.

This England team isn't the England team I enjoyed rooting against. It isn't the team I could see was heading for an inevitable implosion or exit. This was an England team that I could enjoy watching, could play good football, could generate tension and results and put on a good match. And I was surprised how little I felt the need to cheer against them, and even just want to see them do well.

This was an amazing England team. They were a form team of the tournament and the semifinal spot was not undeserved. They came up against a rock in Croatia, and are unfortunate not to have made it further but had they progressed, they would not have been out of place in the final.

It's been a long time since any England team could say that. And it's been a long time since I ever thought that I would think that.

Well done, England. You performed, entertained, and even overcame my own prejudiced opinions. Come back again like this, please.

• danxdanx Registered User regular

Eh I dunno if it's just that. Part of the irritation is down to the long standing mismatch between the commentary and the audience. For cost reasons (I guess?) they don't always run a local commentary team in Scotland for televised World Cup games. It's long been a running joke here the TV commentary is England centered even when they're not actually playing in the game and how much they'll mention that one time.

This really isn't meant as a criticism of English commentary. It's fine. They're just (unintentionally) playing to the wrong audience because someone cheapens out*. I'm sure Scottish commentary be just as enthusiastic about our national team too if we actually got to play in tournaments regularly because we weren't rubbish.

*It doesn't help our case for funding that our team has little international presence.

• quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Let’s just hope we get a World Cup Final that averages more than 1 goal an hour. It’s been 16 years since that happened.

Also, France has played in 3 out of the last 6 World Cup Finals.

Tav wrote: »
    z3dwhjddj6b9.jpeg
    as an Irishman, that goal certainly went in at a time

What happened in Ireland in 1803?

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Imagine being an Englishman and having to choose whether to root for the people that eliminated them, or the French.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    danx wrote: »

Eh I dunno if it's just that. Part of the irritation is down to the long standing mismatch between the commentary and the audience. For cost reasons (I guess?) they don't always run a local commentary team in Scotland for televised World Cup games. It's long been a running joke here the TV commentary is England centered even when they're not actually playing in the game and how much they'll mention that one time.

This really isn't meant as a criticism of English commentary. It's fine. They're just (unintentionally) playing to the wrong audience because someone cheapens out*. I'm sure Scottish commentary be just as enthusiastic about our national team too if we actually got to play in tournaments regularly because we weren't rubbish.

*It doesn't help our case for funding that our team has little international presence.

I was being a mite facetious. There are plenty of historical reasons for Scots to refrain from cheering the English over anything. So I don't think the independence and Brexit votes play a heavy part.

I would expect that any cheering going on would be more about a regional thing (like people in the US rooting for Mexico) than because of pride in being England's hat.

• shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    BUT FIRST:

Did you enjoy 90 minutes of England and Belgium jogging about at the end of the group stage giving a token effort to appear to be a game but trying not to actually win it?

Well you’re in luck because that’s what’s happening again Saturday

I am SO MAD about this. We somehow manage to get two games between two of the best sides in the tournament, and both matches are going to be indifferent garbage.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
    Personally, I disagree that the third place match is completely pointless; there have been third place matches I've felt were better than the final, which can degenerate worse into cautious, uninspiring affairs with neither side wanting to be the first to make a mistake. In a third place match you generally get 2 decent teams from the competition with little at stake and nothing to lose, so more willing to take risks; it really all comes down to the attitude of the teams, and if they want to play entertaining football.

They can be great when there's a plucky underdog that punched way above its weight and still wants to run as far as they can to prove a point. Also a few times where it's been someone's farewell tour and they've just turned up and put on a final show, just because they could. And I think more teams should treat it as a chance to blood a squads younger players who might be core team members in 4 years time but maybe didn't feature much this campaign, to give some big stage experience and start building your next World Cup run right here, right now.

• shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    That's fair. Thinking back on it now I remember Uruguay-Germany in 2010 being one of the matches of the tournament. Of course everything about Uruguay was cranked up to 11 that year. Here's hoping Belgium and England will commit to putting on a bit of a show with most of their top players. Would be just cruel to deny us twice.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
This discussion has been closed.