As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Roleplaying Games] Thank God I Finally Have A Table For Cannabis Potency.

• XagarXagar Registered User regular
    If you didn't catch it in the dnd thread, I'm starting a PBP for the game I've been developing for a while. The thread is now up, after making all of my stuff presentable over the last couple days.

• ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Rifts is playable, but it's very much not going to feel that way to someone who didn't play TTRPGs before 2000.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    There's a thread about Rifts here on the forum that I'm too lazy to search for at the moment. Basically, Rifts is the exemplar of any mid-80's middle school kid's Heavy Metal / Terminator peechee folder doodles, but that kid grew up and took that same folder to CPA school and now it's full of actuary tables.
    That, and the series is the very definition of Power Creep as the books went along.

It's also the very first rpg I ever played, so it has something of a special place in my heart, if only as an reminder that "Wow, I was young and stupid and full of dreams."

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I can’t wait for the first ambush to pop off in my DH game. Even if they fail to get a surprise round, they’ll shoot out the thin walls to flush the PCs from cover. I’m gonna Sonny these pukes.

I’d also like to say that DH’s design being built from trying to emulate the tabletop somewhat has increased my enjoyment. Not because I’m a huge fan of the tabletop, I don’t play it, but I can feel the influence in the combat and DH my favorite system because of what I feel it borrows from a wargame spinoff pedigree. Now I only have 5E and EotE to compare, but I like how it strikes a great balance in my mind of abstract and simulationist gameplay.

Kadoken on
  • FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Oh shit, I might be making a Shadowrun 5e character for the first time this Saturday.

On the bright side, it may help me get more comfortable with other d6 systems.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Neaden wrote: »

Just quoting this to see if there is any interest. If people don't want to play it offsite I could run it on the forums as well, I don't have a strong preference.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular

Just quoting this to see if there is any interest. If people don't want to play it offsite I could run it on the forums as well, I don't have a strong preference.

Please, join this game.

Stop me from talking about Bing Crosby.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »

Please, join this game.

Stop me from talking about Bing Crosby.

Er, if I joined, it would only be to make you talk more about him.

And Danny Kaye.

I did not get as theatric as I wanted in the first part of the penthouse raid. Although I did finally reveal the daemon that has been placed circling around one of the characters. I had him assume the form of the Glam Sorceror and begin playing “Like an Animal (Fuck like a Beast)” to explain why the Slaaneshi cult’s beguiling ritual was affecting him worse than others. That character had a daemon placed on him with a kiss by the matron of the Slaaneshi cult that is part of the baddie group. He’s been basically trying to seduce him to possession. I sandbagged the other players when they kept asking if their characters could see the space marine with a Rogue Trader style blast master, meaning a metal guitar that shoots sonic blasts. He didn’t go for the offer of revealing the antagonist group’s plans and movements (including literally seeing all the ambushes on the maps), but I’ll see if he’ll reconsider when he’s weaker.

Also threat established with the slaaneshi witches being able to dominate the PCs reliably. They’re being butts about it and trying to wriggle their way out of commands through specificity. I say “Attack your friend.” They say “Okay, I drop my weapons and punch him with my fists.” I say “Attack your friend with a power maul.” They say (and they did), “I dropped that before so I’ll have to pick it up and ineffectually throw it at them.” They were ready to kill themselves by smacking themselves with their melee weapons so they’re not being obstinate.

It didn’t help that I threw a hallucinogen grenade and it made all the mooks in a room not trust each other and run outside, leaving only the elites with no one to soak up fire. Also the big armoured ones I call “sensates”, buff heavy-weapons-using slaaneshi cultists who want everything to be big, flashy, and extravagant; dropped his heavy bolter when frenzied to attack with his chainaxe so I lost the ranged advantage. It is almost always a bad idea to engage the vet arbitrator in melee. He dual wields and can reliably get lightning attacks with his power weapons; which he has because I didn’t understand the rules early on and we’ve been doing this for three years so later on he stole them legit from dead enemies. He really needs eldar, daemons, or the fast mirror guards rip-offs I made to challenge him; or just be pumped full of bolts, flame, missiles, and grenades. I might make the MG shield bash him first to make him use up his very good but only evasion reaction so they can hit him right after.

One player is annoying me because he never pays attention even during the parts he told me he likes. He has at least like five times now just not moved his roll20 token on the maps until I have to remind him (and he definitely knows how to use Roll20) and almost every time it’s like I’m waking him up from a stupor because he never knows what’s going on. He also left during what was essentially an ice-breaking session between the new players and old players that went off awesomely and everyone but him got into it. I honestly want him out because he’s also the guy who’s often the biggest obstacle to playing. It doesn’t help he’s also running the DnD game I have no interest in anymore that stops us from playing on Saturdays.

I can’t kick him out, he’s been with me the third longest. He’s the reason I have the newer DH group. He’s the reason I met friends in Uni through his club. He’s the reason I was able to put something on my resumes and letters to professional school through my officer position. He’s the cowboy in the $250 commission for fuck’s sake, a personal memento to the vet group’s time together as my first consistent RPG group I GM’d for. It’s complicated.

Also the artist has not given a wip for that thing in like a month. It’s rather annoying since it’s been half a year since I commissioned it.

• kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »
    There's a thread about Rifts here on the forum that I'm too lazy to search for at the moment. Basically, Rifts is the exemplar of any mid-80's middle school kid's Heavy Metal / Terminator peechee folder doodles, but that kid grew up and took that same folder to CPA school and now it's full of actuary tables.
    That, and the series is the very definition of Power Creep as the books went along.

It's also the very first rpg I ever played, so it has something of a special place in my heart, if only as an reminder that "Wow, I was young and stupid and full of dreams."

It had power creep early on but that leveled off and armor levels came up a bit to compensate for weapons and it has kept reasonably stable so if you run a book from 20 years ago and one released last year and everything still basically works. I will always have a fond place in my heart for rifts. Coming from D&D and you have a wizard with d4 hp to start we started playing rifts and saw baby dragon hatchling was a viable option that had as much health as a tank was pretty eye opening.

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Did someone says RIFTS?

Paging Dr. @OptimusZed

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    edited July 2018
    Okay, I need help with a thing: I want to ambush the players. The NPCs are set up as squads with a squad leader connected to them and commanding them. Is it fair to have stealth tests by the NPCs vs awareness of the PCs and use the squad leader types' stats to roll one roll for themselves and their squad?

Kadoken on
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Okay, I need help with a thing: I want to ambush the players. The NPCs are set up as squads with a squad leader connected to them and commanding them. Is it fair to have stealth tests by the NPCs vs awareness of the PCs and use the squad leader types' stats to roll one roll for themselves and their squad?

I would have each squad roll separately, but the squad leader gets to basically "aid another" both groups.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    edited July 2018
    That makes sense. It’s like helping them to conceal themselves through the squad lead’s command. They have that in the system already, assisting others gets them +10 on their test.

What if they had to succeed a difficult command test (like at -20 penalty to their d100 roll) to use their characteristic to conceal their squad, and then have to succeed the stealth test against the PC’s DoS?

Kadoken on
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Man, I don't know... Rifts.

I never played rifts, although I have a bunch of books, but did play TMNT a lot which is the same basic system and... Well... It felt like a shitty system in the 90s when I played it as a teenager.

Like, 1st edition WFRP is a warty early RPG system but it is still fundamentally playable. Palladium's system is just a hot mess top to bottom.

I did once start planning out playing Rifts in 2nd edition BESM because there is a lot to love in the setting. Just nothing in the system.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
    edited July 2018
    I was talking to @DaMoonRulz about a forum game I'd just been introduced to the other day. It's played over in Giant in the Playground and has apparently been around for a few years. It's called Lords of Creation and this is the newest thread I've seen so far. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?562296-Lords-of-Creation-New-Roots-(OOC)

A few years back a group even made an Obsidian Portal entry for their game, which was neat. https://lord-of-creation-in-the-playground.obsidianportal.com/

I guess my question is...are there any RPG's that are ideal for a forum or PbP format to build a world and play deities? I know Microscope and Kingdom are well known for being GMless world-building and organization-play respectively, but do they scratch the same itch?

Is there a game out there that is cool for worldbuilding and roleplaying? Because the Lords of Creation thing seems really cool and has some game aspects, but seems to lean much more heavily on the free-roleplay aspects. That's fine, but doesn't necessarily feel like a "game" per se.

Edit: To game-if the collab parts I suppose I'd need to have a deck of tarot or playing cards that introduce different conflicts or boons during the different eras of the world, which is a mechanic being used more these days.

If nothing fits perfectly I'd probably end up throwing rules together for a game in this vein that makes 5e-compatible worlds (domains and races from 5e, playable races being fluffed as much as players want, just mechanically identical to one of the many existing options for balance of you played a 5e game)

Fuselage on
    o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Rifts as a system sucks pretty much totally. Rifts as a setting rules:

rifts-art-coalitioncenterspread.jpg
    rifts_psi_hounds_and_psi_stalker_the_dogboys_by_chuckwalton-db8ks07.jpg
    rVMlOPd.jpg

Fuselage wrote: »
    I was talking to @DaMoonRulz about a forum game I'd just been introduced to the other day. It's played over in Giant in the Playground and has apparently been around for a few years. It's called Lords of Creation and this is the newest thread I've seen so far. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?562296-Lords-of-Creation-New-Roots-(OOC)

A few years back a group even made an Obsidian Portal entry for their game, which was neat. https://lord-of-creation-in-the-playground.obsidianportal.com/

I guess my question is...are there any RPG's that are ideal for a forum or PbP format to build a world and play deities? I know Microscope and Kingdom are well known for being GMless world-building and organization-play respectively, but do they scratch the same itch?

Is there a game out there that is cool for worldbuilding and roleplaying? Because the Lords of Creation thing seems really cool and has some game aspects, but seems to lean much more heavily on the free-roleplay aspects. That's fine, but doesn't necessarily feel like a "game" per se.

Edit: To game-if the collab parts I suppose I'd need to have a deck of tarot or playing cards that introduce different conflicts or boons during the different eras of the world, which is a mechanic being used more these days.

If nothing fits perfectly I'd probably end up throwing rules together for a game in this vein that makes 5e-compatible worlds (domains and races from 5e, playable races being fluffed as much as players want, just mechanically identical to one of the many existing options for balance of you played a 5e game)

I know some folks on here have noodled on a game like that before, and I know that I’ve had a PbtA game in that vein in my notes for a year or so now, but nothing concrete.

Hail Hydra
    Matev wrote: »

I know some folks on here have noodled on a game like that before, and I know that I’ve had a PbtA game in that vein in my notes for a year or so now, but nothing concrete.

My first thought was that PbtA would be a good format for it, as well. I'll have to study what's out there already, including The Quiet Year, to figure out the best way to keep it GMless and fun.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    I mean, I know I got as far as long as having concepts for playbooks. Let see what I can dig up.

Hail Hydra
    I figured deities would, if they started out as demigods or low powered, start with a single domain or aspect of a domain and go from there - but it would be interesting to see how the playbooks would work. War deities? Creative deities? Or players change playbooks when certain requirements are met, a la Saga of the Icelanders.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    If someone does want to run Microscope, I would be interested in finally trying it out

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    I figured deities would, if they started out as demigods or low powered, start with a single domain or aspect of a domain and go from there - but it would be interesting to see how the playbooks would work. War deities? Creative deities? Or players change playbooks when certain requirements are met, a la Saga of the Icelanders.

Actually, I've got a variety of gods that can take on different aspects, depending on the choices made by players.

Here's what I've got so far

Hail Hydra
    Matev wrote: »

Actually, I've got a variety of gods that can take on different aspects, depending on the choices made by players.

Here's what I've got so far

Read through it after putting kids to bed. I'm really intrigued by it and want to dive deeper. Organizing gods/playbooks by archetype makes sense instead of just deciding features. I'll have to see what parts from that Lords of Creation appear the most important or enjoyable, and compare them to Microscope and your document. Very cool.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    Hmmm I would suggest a Trickster archetype, very important and tricksters show up in pretty much every mythology

what a happy day it is
    doomybear wrote: »
    Hmmm I would suggest a Trickster archetype, very important and tricksters show up in pretty much every mythology

Absolutely.
    https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StockGods

What do you think about starting the game as creators, making the world and setting and ages similar (or exactly like) Microscope, followed by an age of heroes where you play or otherwise control/manipulate demigods (which share the same playbook) in their societies, and then they evolve to gods which have specific playbooks?

Or, are the aspects/avatars of the gods basically fitting the role of demigods anyway?

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    The Nemesis isn't explicitly stated, but is low-key the trickster archetype.

Hail Hydra
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    If someone does want to run Microscope, I would be interested in finally trying it out

Having played it before once or twice, it's more writers' workshop than game, but in a good way.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

edited July 2018
    How much y’all think bashing oneself with a weapon should do while under the effects of mind control? Because even if it’s a power weapon there’s no leverage with the arms like a normal swing. I’m thinking basically deducting the strength bonus from the damage you roll since the angle’s weird.

Also should you take into account head armor if you are forced to commit suicide by gun? Or assume it could be in the mouth, under the chin, or even in the eyes where armor’s not in the way?

I have also thought of this of characters being held by gunpoint.

Kadoken on
    How much y’all think bashing oneself with a weapon should do while under the effects of mind control? Because even if it’s a power weapon there’s no leverage with the arms like a normal swing. I’m thinking basically deducting the strength bonus from the damage you roll since the angle’s weird.

Also should you take into account head armor if you are forced to commit suicide by gun? Or assume it could be in the mouth, under the chin, or even in the eyes where armor’s not in the way?

I have also thought of this of characters being held by gunpoint.

Keep in mind the force from bashing yourself in the head with a heavy weapon could still knock your balance off and lead to a prone, stunned, or unconscious condition if you hit your head on the way down as well.

That's all I've got.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I'd still do normal damage. I could easily hit myself with a baseball bat and knock myself out or kill myself. With a sword or other blade you would be able to run yourself through or some other type of self attack. You know your own weak points.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I don't think the angle of the swing would matter.
    I'm pretty sure I could pull a weapon towards me whilst headbutting it, about as hard as I could swing it.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Trust me you can definitely fuck yourself up with a bat.

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

Go hit a windshield with one incorrectly. Night night.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Avoid the temptation to get too wrapped up in real-world physics when adjudicating game rules.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »

This is a strangely specific example

Did you roll a 1 in real life

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    No - but the windshield did roll a 20.

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    desc wrote: »
    joshgotro wrote: »

This is a strangely specific example

Did you roll a 1 in real life

joshgotro on
    edited July 2018
    I finally quit the DnD game I've lost interest in for the past few months. The GM of that game also dropped from my Dark Heresy game. It was all very amicable. That feels like a weight of my chest. The anxiety of what could have happened was worse than what actually happened. As a lot of things are.

I made his character a reinforcement character that's still active in the background so if they ever wanted him he, the person or the character, could come back.

Also Neaden's CoC rolegate thing is full and I'm excited to begin. I will assuredly be the first to die.

E: tonight's game was great. The techpriest got hit with two super lucky righteous furies and max damages done to him causing him to fly across the room, bleed, and get critical damage. Tearing weapons, man. Luckily even though he got like 9 fatigue, he was able to spend a fate point to remove it, but they're not getting fate points back until they complete the floor they've been fighting on. Another player was also almost downed, but I forgot that one of the PCs was on overwatch and would have caused the NPCs who did it to run for cover as they were pinned, so we did have to retroactively undo the robocop-ing he got by charging and being surrounded by five guys with bolters. He also got dominated and almost assuredly would have murdered one of the newer players, but she got to overwatch him and pin him to stop him from killing her under the psyker's effects. Their cop NPC friend got some good shots in. He almost died at the very last guy because he walked straight up to him, said, "smile", and then his shotgun jammed at point blank range. He got a super lucky roll and dodged two point blank bolter rounds. Everyone but one character got hurt, so I'm happy with the outcome as they know they're not invincible.
    If my player sees
    Also the mirror guard are up, and will surprise (they won the opposed test) the arbitrator who is their biggest problem. Both of them. With their Chaotic rune enhanced power swords. (which is an excuse to cause corruption if the PCs try to take them, along with the runic carapace armour around)
    Also got to get ham with their villain, the Showstopper. It was great.

Edit2: one last memoriam to that player, this rad as fuck separate portrait Mothmandraws made
    jv4667mt3r2j.jpeg
    spoiled for big boi, as he would say

Kadoken on
    edited July 2018
    I’m a bit sad I won’t be able to complete this module I made to be completeable during the summer before we all get busy again.
    So I’m going to change the second third of it onto a much shorter but more interesting hide and seek game. Contrasting the mix of elite and mook ambushes with what are essentially manned ED-209 type enemies that will search through the floor they’re on while they try to sneak to the next and last floor (or just ambush them). The ED209’s (which are imported mechanized suits nobles like to hunt underhive poors with) are strong enough to break through walls, but they’re hamstrung by their low mobility, their size making them move awkwardly in this relatively small penthouse space, and their isolation since they’re manned by Slaaneshi cultist noble pricks who are trying to prove they’re really cool to the cult matron by killing the party so don’t want to work with each otber.

The third floor will still be full of daemons, all the mooks and elites of the first floor, and a big ass bomb meant to be the backup plan besides the backup-backup plan because their antagonist be like that. They’ll have to escape the blast, and then venture into a burning series of rooms to save the gang leader who got betrayed to interrogate him for the locations of his gang’s hideouts.

I spoil because one of my players now knows this thread exists. You know who you are.

Kadoken on