As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android] Thread v. 2018: Pixel 6 is out. Google might be bad at phones.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Amazon has a music service where you can own your stuff. I've never used it, but it's probably better than itunes or google music.

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    LD50 wrote: »
    Amazon has a music service where you can own your stuff. I've never used it, but it's probably better than itunes or google music.

Yeah, you convinced me. In 10 minutes of using the Amazon music player, I already like it better.

Is there a standard place to put music on Android, like the Linux FHS? Or Music library in Windows?

Edit: I ask because I have a sdcard/Music folder, but it contains folders named "storage-0" and "storage-1", and I have no idea what that means to the OS.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    templewulf wrote: »

Yeah, you convinced me. In 10 minutes of using the Amazon music player, I already like it better.

Is there a standard place to put music on Android, like the Linux FHS? Or Music library in Windows?

Edit: I ask because I have a sdcard/Music folder, but it contains folders named "storage-0" and "storage-1", and I have no idea what that means to the OS.

There's probably an actual amazon music app for android, but you'll have to get it from the amazon appstore rather than google's. It's a little inconvenient at first, but I haven't had any issues on any of the android devices I own once I had it set up.

There probably is a place where music is 'supposed' to go, but for downloaded music I use spotify's offline playlists thing so I don't manage it myself.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    The Amazon Music app is actually available in the legit Play Store, and AFAIK it has everything from the desktop version: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amazon.mp3

They did just recently discontinue the cloud upload for local files, which is slightly annoying but I wasn't actually using it anyway.

I use it and Pandora to cover everything I need. Amazon Music's stations are really bad compared to Pandora's, but the Prime benefits are great if you want a Spotify-esque experience.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Amazon prime music is nice since they let you stream albums you don't own

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    mts wrote: »
    Amazon prime music is nice since they let you stream albums you don't own

Hmm... Do you just need regular 2-day-shipping-Prime? I'll have to sign in with my wife's account and check it out.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    The Trick is that Google Play Music isn't focused on local playback. They really want you to use the streaming service. If you do, the player is great. If all you want to do is play local music, yea it isn't something I would recommend.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    The Trick is that Google Play Music isn't focused on local playback. They really want you to use the streaming service. If you do, the player is great. If all you want to do is play local music, yea it isn't something I would recommend.

I agree with this, with the caveat that the Google radio stations are garbage compared to Pandora. All of them, based on artist, song, genre, whatever. They loop the same 20 songs, which is only slightly better then a real radio.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I fucking love Spotify Premium. I've been a happy customer of theirs for like 7 years now and I don't expect to bother switching thanks to their Discover Weekly feature. I seem to have better luck that feature than most people but I've been introduced to some excellent groups through it and absolutely love it.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I use Google Music because it is (or was, at the time I compared) the only good streaming service that allows you to upload and stream your own library. I couldn't do without that feature because I've got tons of stuff that isn't on any streaming service that I want to be able to stream on a whim.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    My old Note 3 is on it's last legs (I'm pretty sure the antenna is dying, dropping calls and the past week it suddenly stopped getting any coverage indoors, even in buildings where it got perfect 4G before) and I'm looking for a replacement. If I'm looking to spend around $250 for a new android is there anything else I should be considering besides a Moto G6? I'm mostly looking for a decent screen and as much CPU and RAM as I can afford (don't care about the camera too much), and every review I've seen puts the G6 at the top of that price tier.

Edit: Carrier is sprint btw, so the Nokia 6.1 is out

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I keep thinking about switching to Google Play Music but I don't have unlimited data to stream music on the go and if rather just keep it all on my phone. Poweramp is still good although I think they may have stopped updating it.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    I use Google Music because it is (or was, at the time I compared) the only good streaming service that allows you to upload and stream your own library. I couldn't do without that feature because I've got tons of stuff that isn't on any streaming service that I want to be able to stream on a whim.

You can't upload your music to Spotify, but Spotify can play local files and integrate them into playlists.

Even the streaming service for Google music blows. I couldn't get the radio feature to work with about 50% of my playlists, on either desktop or mobile. Almost every aspect of the UI is absolute trash. I cannot stress how much I hate Google music.

• Options

You can't upload your music to Spotify, but Spotify can play local files and integrate them into playlists.

Even the streaming service for Google music blows. I couldn't get the radio feature to work with about 50% of my playlists, on either desktop or mobile. Almost every aspect of the UI is absolute trash. I cannot stress how much I hate Google music.

Yeah, but I've got a couple hundred gigs of music, so I don't want to store that stuff all locally. I've always found the stream quality to be at least as good as Spotify, but Spotify's UI is a good bit nicer.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I've never had an issue with Play Music, but then I like to listen to whole albums instead of play lists so maybe I'm a rare case? I just threw all my music on the Play cloud and stream whatever suits my fancy.

• Options
    emp123 wrote: »
    I've never had an issue with Play Music, but then I like to listen to whole albums instead of play lists so maybe I'm a rare case? I just threw all my music on the Play cloud and stream whatever suits my fancy.

Yeah, I exclusively listen to playlists and playlist radio stations. I have ~100 playlists I've personally curated, each with a different theme or intention. I used some programming fuckery with the public apis for google and spotify so I could import all of them (and that mostly worked fine, with a few songs here in there that were on one service but not the other). That all worked great, but man, google music does not handle playlists well. As far as I could tell, the only 'sorting' option is by how recently it was played, which when you have 100+ entries that is not useful, not even a little. Spotify's playlist radios work really well (discover weekly and the personal mixes work really well too), in fact, whatever prediction algorithm they're using works way better for me than pandora's does.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    I am a cranky old fashioned jackass who almost only ever listens to albums.

minor incident on
  • Options
    I am a crappy it old fashioned jackass who almost only ever listens to albums.

I like albums too, but that's part of why I like playlists. I'll have artist or band playlists, which will be every album they've released, in order from first to last. Then I can go in and pull off specific songs, or remove duplicates of tracks that were released multiple times and only keep whichever version I like the best. Or pull in remastered greatest hits albums but replace the tracks that they're remasters of in the main list.

• Options

I'm either shuffling everything I have or listening to individual albums.

• Options
    SirToasty wrote: »

My wife is "Shuffle my entire library" person but man, the stuff in my library just swings too wildly in every direction for me to ever risk that.

I'll shuffle a single artist sometimes, but the last thing I need is to chase the Dead Kennedys with Kesha. At least not with anyone else in the car.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Fwiw, I was told recently that if you have a .edu email, you can get a Spotify Student (Premium) sub for a reasonable price. And it includes a Hulu sub

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    I wouldn't mind a shuffle by album feature for listening to local music. Grab an album, play it, then grab another.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Back in the original iPod days, I had a Creative MP3 player that had a Random Album button and it was amazing. Stick all your music on the device and if you aren't sure what you want to listen to, hit the button. It's actually surprising how hard that feature seems to be to find

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited July 2018

My wife is "Shuffle my entire library" person but man, the stuff in my library just swings too wildly in every direction for me to ever risk that.

I'll shuffle a single artist sometimes, but the last thing I need is to chase the Dead Kennedys with Kesha. At least not with anyone else in the car.

My use case is more based on when I worked a data entry job where I had headphones on all day, but after being rigidly an album guy, one day I decided "screw it" and hit shuffle the entire library.

Oh, man. It's precisely those moments when it does something exactly like chasing the Dead Kennedys with Kesha that makes it great. Those wild swings are, more often than not, awesome and sometimes hilarious. And if they're not? Skip to next track, done and done. (I appreciate that the privacy of headphones is a different scenario than other people being in your car, but still.)

I used to have 6-8 hours a day to listen at that job, and admittedly it was before Spotify et al was a thing, so no matter how big your music library, it was not enough long term. So I used to start the day with a couple of podcasts, usually lengthy weekly gaming ones (Bombcast, 1UP Yours, etc, God I feel old now) and maybe something else, and then only have a couple of hours left to kill, which was then either playing an album, or shuffling everything.

I still generally only use playlists for organisation on my computer (Recently Added, for example), not for listening. I've got none on my phone or in my car. (Actually, that's not strictly true - I've got one for all of Iron Maiden's myriad single B-sides over the years, but I've got it set up as a single album to keep them organised and not spread out all over the place, since there's over 70 of them, so it only sort of counts.)

My car doesn't support Bluetooth audio, unfortunately, only telephony, and although it has native iPod support with a dedicated connector (30-pin - the car is a 2010 model), I've long since retired my old 5G iPod, although it still works fine. I just use a 32GB USB stick in the car's USB port with local MP3s. It's only ever about half full because the car's interface for navigating the library is a little clunky. (I can easily forgive it because it sounds fantastic, though.) And now I think about it, I'm not actually sure it has a shuffle function at all. But in the car I generally want familiar albums anyway.

Jazz on
  • Options
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind a shuffle by album feature for listening to local music. Grab an album, play it, then grab another.

Poweramp has a Shuffle Lists option that does this.

• Options
    ph blake wrote: »
    My old Note 3 is on it's last legs (I'm pretty sure the antenna is dying, dropping calls and the past week it suddenly stopped getting any coverage indoors, even in buildings where it got perfect 4G before) and I'm looking for a replacement. If I'm looking to spend around $250 for a new android is there anything else I should be considering besides a Moto G6? I'm mostly looking for a decent screen and as much CPU and RAM as I can afford (don't care about the camera too much), and every review I've seen puts the G6 at the top of that price tier.

Edit: Carrier is sprint btw, so the Nokia 6.1 is out

The carrier being Sprint *really* limits you. It is a lot harder to just go buy an unlocked phone and use it on Sprint.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options

One of my favorite radio stations was actually run by public radio, and their day 1 mission statement was to give you "musical whiplash".

I think my favorite is when they followed Cypress Hill with Patsy Cline.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    The USB in my car is on shuffle and it'll go from Metallica to Tennessee Ernie Ford back to AC/DC to Johnny Cash over to Jay-Z with some Gorillaz and Snoop mixed in. It's all over the place, and hilarious.

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular

Poweramp is pretty good, but I have one problem with it - the volume controls don't work quite right. I press the volume button once, and the volume increases by 2 notches.

I'm not sure if other people have this issue, though.

工事中
  • Options
    Cokebotle wrote: »

Poweramp is pretty good, but I have one problem with it - the volume controls don't work quite right. I press the volume button once, and the volume increases by 2 notches.

Just tested it out against YouTube and the ringer volume on Android 8.1. Mine is normal.

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    Cokebotle wrote: »

Just tested it out against YouTube and the ringer volume on Android 8.1. Mine is normal.

Hm... Must be something with my Bluetooth headphones, I guess? When I use Poweramp, one notch up/down moves the volume twice but Google Play Music doesn't do it. That's why I figured it was Poweramp.

工事中
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Anyone have a recommendation for voice recording apps? Currently the podcast my wife and I produce is recorded either on the a laptop or her iPhone. We do the editing later with different software. I'd like to have the option to record things on my phone and then go through the same process just to have an alternative.

Probably need something that can export to wav or mp3 so the editing software can import it.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Phone ponderings continue, decided to poke at case offerings to see if anything tickled my fancy. Anyone have experience with any of these "send us a picture and we'll print it on a phone case" things I'm seeing on Amazon in between the piles of error pages? Seems like it might be a neat idea as long as the quality isn't garbage.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Factory reset did not fix my overheating issue but I did narrow it down. For some reason my power management chip is running super hot. No reason I can tell for it to be doing so. It hovers in the 60's °C range and will shut my phone off at 75 or 80. It seems to be a rather unusual issue as I could not find anyone or anything on Google mentioning it. My phone is still under warranty but Samsung would make me fix my screen before they fixed the chip issue. That would mean I would have to pick up a spare phone to use while they fixed it. Bleh. Not sure if it is worth it.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Anyone have a recommendation for voice recording apps? Currently the podcast my wife and I produce is recorded either on the a laptop or her iPhone. We do the editing later with different software. I'd like to have the option to record things on my phone and then go through the same process just to have an alternative.

Probably need something that can export to wav or mp3 so the editing software can import it.

I am a serial *consumer* of podcasts, but not a recorder. But it does look like you have some options.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/android-apps-record-podcasts/

That was one of the first google results. the actual podcasters I listen to, and a couple I interact with, like anchor.fm, so maybe give it a go.

• Options
    There's some fascinating stuff in that link. Makes me realise how things have changed since I was part of a podcast ('06-'09). Whole different world.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Is there a way of changing the eight-digit, probably random numeric ID of a microSD card - you know, the xxxx-xxxx one - in Android? I just got a bigger card and copied everything over, but the change of path has had an annoying side effect that'll take me an age to correct. Windows isn't showing me that number at all, and nor is my Android file manager that I can see. And I'm not seeing it on Google, just other card related stuff.

Jazz on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    What the heck?

I'm sitting here at work and my phone just shut itself down. (It's a Nexus 5X and I haven't had any problems with it at all.) All of a sudden I see the screen wake up and it's got the white Google name across the screen. It sits at that for a little while and then the four coloured balls come on screen, so I think it's just rebooting for some reason (I didn't tell it to do anything, actually). But now it's off and just... dead. It's not turning back on at all. I've got it plugged in now since maybe it suddenly had the battery die (from 89% when I last checked about ten minutes ago, though). But it's still non-responsive.

What the heck is up with my phone?

• Options
    LaOs wrote: »
    What the heck?

I'm sitting here at work and my phone just shut itself down. (It's a Nexus 5X and I haven't had any problems with it at all.) All of a sudden I see the screen wake up and it's got the white Google name across the screen. It sits at that for a little while and then the four coloured balls come on screen, so I think it's just rebooting for some reason (I didn't tell it to do anything, actually). But now it's off and just... dead. It's not turning back on at all. I've got it plugged in now since maybe it suddenly had the battery die (from 89% when I last checked about ten minutes ago, though). But it's still non-responsive.

What the heck is up with my phone?

You, my friend, have succumed to the well known Nexus 5X boot loop.

https://www.thestar.com/business/personal_finance/2018/04/16/lg-google-nexus-phone-defect-leaves-consumers-stuck-in-an-endless-loop.html

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    That's the dreaded 5X boot loop. There may be some course of action if you can get it to turn off and reboot, but you may unfortunately be SOL. I'm not sure if Google is honoring warranties anymore but it might be worth a call.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika